Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-10-2014, 22:46   #21
Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by plp View Post
WARNING, POLITICAL RANT!!!

I'm an Alabama redneck, while born in Indiana, have hailed from the South all but the first 6 months of my life. I'm a construction gypsy, due to the fact I can't support my family in a sustainable manner locally due to economy, and have spent the past 30 years on the road, wherever someone needs a power plant, military base, refinery, or major industrial development built.

I have multiple jobs I can't discuss, due to signed confidentiality agreements, and have 7 cards in my wallet that required people in black suits question my neighbors.

I am willing to do whatever is required, to see that I provide me and mine with the best I can. That mindset has a lot to do with why I post on this website.

Today, at 5:45 AM, I sat on the side of the road in Sioux City, Iowa in -10 temps and rounded up several noobs for orientation at a construction site. While doing so, I observed car tags entering the facility.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Virginia and Iowa, in order of frequency. I saw exactly 3 Iowa tags. This is on a job site with over 600 personnel.

At the bar tonight, I was one of three rednecks in a crowd of probably fifty. Two from Alabama, and one from Louisiana.

I am a gregarious type, find good people everywhere, and tonight was no exception, lots of genuinely decent folks out for a good time. While an introvert by nature, I"m also an optimist and look for the best in people, and am rarely disappointed.

I asked everyone I talked to about the weather, and here is the general consensus, from November to April they drink beer, have sex, and draw unemployment. Their goal is to produce Democrats in numbers to sustain their way of life. That is 6 months out of the year, devoted to decadence and debauchery.

My mother is from Iowa, and I remember coming to her hometown as a kid. Farmers all, hard workers, traditionalists and fiercely independent. Very conservative, while no idea about their politics, would believe they did not approve of LBJ and waved flags when Nixon took office.

Enter the 1970's, and farm subsidies. Subversion took hold, the short term fix to pay the mortgage and crop loans perverted the long term value system, and by the 1990's they went from red to blue.

What does this have to do with winter storms? Just my observation, that today's political climate dictates that desperate Southerners must travel 1200 miles from home, to work in sub zero temps, to provide sustinance for native Iowans so they do not have to leave the comfort of their hearth to earn their daily bread.
I'm over 1400 miles from home working in Oklahoma and I've spent more time in this state since October than I have at home. The only people on this shutdown are from NH and ME. There are about 50 vans full of railroad workers from Illinois at the hotel we are staying at.

There are plenty of low life lazy people that don't want to work in every state.
Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 00:14   #22
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Asheville got 1-2in,at my house we got 4in,just enough ta tick off the jeep and leave the f250 parked.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:54   #23
costanza187
I like Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
From the windstorm from the leftover hurricane (Ike was it?). Luckily we were only without power for maybe half the day. My boss lives up the road and his was out for 7 days.

Or did you get that bad ice storm that was south of here?

Ice storm 09... pretty much leveled the area. We were out 11 days. I know some in the (even more) rural areas were out upwards of a month.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:17   #24
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
The South will rise again, unless there is more than an inch of snow.

Stay home, stay safe.
Little known history of the Civil War:

Lee was planning an assault of Washington that would have broken the Union and won the war. But then a few snowflakes fell and the entire Confederate Army ran out of bread and milk and could not get their horses to stay on the roads without skidding off.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:34   #25
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
Even us northern types who are used to a lot of snow have problems with ice storms. Good luck, stay safe.
True that.

Keep water, food, and back-up heat on hand for just such occasions. Not the sort of stuff you can rush to the corner store to get, but stuff you plan months ahead with.

But not all Northerners prepare. Some forget the last ice storm. They will be surprised when power goes out for a week, and it is 20 degrees outside, and all stores and services are closed becaused of iced roads and downed trees and downed power lines. Even their cell phones won't work.

And if it lasts 2 weeks, there will be mayhem.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37   #26
mgs
Always Carrying

Like snow....hate ice!
mgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:58   #27
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
True that.

Keep water, food, and back-up heat on hand for just such occasions. Not the sort of stuff you can rush to the corner store to get, but stuff you plan months ahead with.

But not all Northerners prepare. Some forget the last ice storm. They will be surprised when power goes out for a week, and it is 20 degrees outside, and all stores and services are closed becaused of iced roads and downed trees and downed power lines. Even their cell phones won't work.

And if it lasts 2 weeks, there will be mayhem.
2 Weeks? BTDT. I would just hole up at the house. Keep feeding the wood stove. Fire up the gen set once a day to run the well pump.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:14   #28
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
2 Weeks? BTDT. I would just hole up at the house. Keep feeding the wood stove. Fire up the gen set once a day to run the well pump.
Yes, but you are prepared, and hopefully you have jugs of water, in case your generator breaks

But the other people.

A big regional storm, like the entire northeast, centered around NYC, could create some big problems.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 14:22   #29
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Yes, but you are prepared, and hopefully you have jugs of water, in case your generator breaks

But the other people.

A big regional storm, like the entire northeast, centered around NYC, could create some big problems.
Smoke has more than 1 generator.
Old 02-11-2014, 15:12   #30
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by byf43 View Post
"Possible significant winter storm coming here, Wednesday night and through the day on Thursday."

Let it snow.
We've got T.P., milk, bread and FiOS.
The oil tank is full. We have firewood.

We have vacation time on the books.

Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow.

My old, tired __________ (self) can wait it out.

No you cant. You forgot to mention the key supply item without which it would be a living hell.

....waiting...

.....waiting.....

Makers Mark.

Im stocked up.

Oh btw metro dc area now has predictions of 18" on the hi side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by G29Reload; 02-11-2014 at 15:17..
G29Reload is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:17   #31
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Preppin' for a Southern snow storm.

The Okie Corral

Regards,
happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 02-11-2014 at 15:22..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:21   #32
nursetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Preppin' for a Southern snow storm.

The Okie Corral

Regards,
happyguiy
Looks like walmarts in NoDak.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:29   #33
Steve in PA

I remember my first year in the USMC, I think is was the winter of 1979-1980. I was stationed at Camp LeJeune, NC and the state got something like 2-3" of snow. The entire state shut down, including the base! Being from PA, I told them 2-3" of snow???? Hell, we don't let off the gas until it get to be 12"!!
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:50   #34
whoops dude

My parents are already without power in southeastern NC. Transformer blew a little while ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 16:57   #35
nursetim

Still have power in LA.
nursetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 17:20   #36
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

still power in middle of nc , we got bout 3 inches of pure snow . tomorrow is when the ice comes in ,and on the weather channel its showing the ice storm is gonna stall right over center nc

power here will go out , but we are prepared . everyone stay safe
Old 02-11-2014, 17:33   #37
Mrs. VR
Administrator

We are in the 5-10" range as of right now. Normally, that would have me doing the happy happy snow dance all over the house, but my best friend is getting married on Friday, an hour south and east of us ( on the bay, hon), and they will likely have more ice. It's just immediate family plus three of us almost family, so it'd be pretty bad if no one can get there! She's seriously working on a Skype set up as i type. Just in case.

I really don't wanna miss it. Maybe everything will be plowed by Friday.

90/9/1

Mrs. VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 17:34   #38
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

From NOAA:
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discus....iscussions.php... "THE ICE ACCUMULATIONS REMAIN MIND-BOGGLING IF NOT HISTORICAL WITH ADDITIONAL .50 TO 1 INCH AXIS FROM ATL/AHN/AGS TO CAE TO RDU AND 8 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW FROM AVL/GSP TO ROA/LYH/CHO AND JUST SOUTH OF IAD/DCA WITH A POSSIBLE FOOT NEAR SWRN NC/NWRN SC"

That's some serious ice....
Going to pick up another 20 gallons for the gennie on my way home from work tomorrow. Putting on a big crock of venison stew tomorrow AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 17:59   #39
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy infidel View Post
From NOAA:
http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discus....iscussions.php... "THE ICE ACCUMULATIONS REMAIN MIND-BOGGLING IF NOT HISTORICAL WITH ADDITIONAL .50 TO 1 INCH AXIS FROM ATL/AHN/AGS TO CAE TO RDU AND 8 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW FROM AVL/GSP TO ROA/LYH/CHO AND JUST SOUTH OF IAD/DCA WITH A POSSIBLE FOOT NEAR SWRN NC/NWRN SC"

That's some serious ice....
Going to pick up another 20 gallons for the gennie on my way home from work tomorrow. Putting on a big crock of venison stew tomorrow AM.
Yup. Sitting next to a crackling fire with a bowl of moose or deer stew, a cold beverage, and a good book. No reason to venture out at all.
Old 02-11-2014, 18:00   #40
jdavionic
NRA Member

Snow...not worried.

Ice...I don't like. We are on the fringe of whether we get a lot of snow or ice. Right now, it appears snow with traces of ice for North of ATL metro. Hopefully it stays that way. I've got trees that I should have had removed and didn't get around to it. I don't power outages. Trees crushing through the house...that I mind.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote