GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 18:12   #1
*ASH*
Senior Member
 
*ASH*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: nc
Posts: 22,043
winter storm .

well the south getting hit again . this time with ice for our area of NC , tomorrow and tomorrow night gonna start and word is we will lose power and possible up til 4 days .

so everyone in the south stay safe . we are prepared as much as possible.
__________________
— 'Most people have a regulator between their mind and mouth that modulates their brutish sentiments and spikiest impulses.
*ASH* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:15   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 52,503
The South will rise again, unless there is more than an inch of snow.

Stay home, stay safe.
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:25   #3
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N.W. Lower Michigan
Posts: 3,267
Even us northern types who are used to a lot of snow have problems with ice storms. Good luck, stay safe.
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:26   #4
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn
 
Dennis in MA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Taunton, MA
Posts: 52,503
I saw a Southerner on the road today. We had an inch of snow on the ground. That's a blizzard to you folk in Atl.

Guy was on bare road in some sort of full size truck. . .

4WD engaged. He took a turn and the wheels were bucking. Lol

Better safe than sorry, tho.
__________________
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.
Dennis in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:36   #5
DonMerlin
Senior Member
 
DonMerlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 477
Save your Dixie cups, the south will rise again.

"I think I will retire and move back up north where they know how to drive in the snow"
NOT!
DonMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:47   #6
costanza187
I like Macs
 
costanza187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: =^..^= Litter Box
Posts: 11,011
Ice is nasty stuff, we were without power 11 days a few years ago. Not fun!
__________________
I'm so much cooler online.
costanza187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:48   #7
RedTop
Senior Member
 
RedTop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
I saw a Southerner on the road today. We had an inch of snow on the ground. That's a blizzard to you folk in Atl.

Guy was on bare road in some sort of full size truck. . .

4WD engaged. He took a turn and the wheels were bucking. Lol

Better safe than sorry, tho.
Most likely a repatriated, second-generation transplant from Yankee-dom who had his first 4x4. All Wool-grays down here know not to run that dry.


I do like your capitaliztion of the S in Southerner. It shows respect.
RedTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:52   #8
byf43
NRA Life Member
 
byf43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 13,308
"Possible significant winter storm coming here, Wednesday night and through the day on Thursday."

Let it snow.
We've got T.P., milk, bread and FiOS.
The oil tank is full. We have firewood.

We have vacation time on the books.

Let it snow. Let it snow. Let it snow.

My old, tired __________ (self) can wait it out.
__________________
G21 Gen2; G19 Gen3; G30SF; G23 Gen3; G26 Gen4. GLOCK Certified Armorer

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 18:58   #9
meathead19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: greenville, SC
Posts: 2,633
Schools already cancelled here for tomorrow and roads are damp. That's it, they're damp....not wet. Damp.

I'm guessing the curtain climbers will be out till Friday, maybe Monday.

meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:04   #10
Jake514
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,097
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
My wife is flying home from Atlanta tonight. First the plane was leaving at 6:30PM, then 8 something, now 10:45PM, if at all.
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:08   #11
THEPOPE
Nibb
 
THEPOPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 6,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
Even us northern types who are used to a lot of snow have problems with ice storms. Good luck, stay safe.
True that, we are used to this, but even though a bit of snow can be dealt with, ice is sooo unforgiving and un predictable, steep learning curve on that stuff....

Every year I practice in empty lots to get a feel for sliding around, but I've had stuff happen on the roads that slip so fast it's nearly impossible to recover from....stay safe, folks....slooowww down....

This season, we are way above the average for the area...over 2x as much...23 inches to 50 some inches, and it ain't over yet...

I am out...sick and frickin' tired of shoveling this and dodging ice...spring can't come soon enough, nor better appreciated than this year...
__________________
violators will be prostituted to the

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:19   #12
JMS
02
 
JMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead19 View Post
Schools already cancelled here for tomorrow and roads are damp. That's it, they're damp....not wet. Damp.

I'm guessing the curtain climbers will be out till Friday, maybe Monday.

It didn't go so well for you all last time, better to be safe.
The Okie Corral
__________________

JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:20   #13
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: N.W. Lower Michigan
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPOPE View Post

This season, we are way above the average for the area...over 2x as much...23 inches to 50 some inches, and it ain't over yet...

I am out...sick and frickin' tired of shoveling this and dodging ice...spring can't come soon enough, nor better appreciated than this year...
170" here so far, and I'm loving it. I've been on either alpine or nordic skis pretty much every day since late November.
__________________
Good judgment comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgment.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:23   #14
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy
 
LASTRESORT20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 6,546
`The snow actually could begin Tuesday in the Charlotte area, with 1 or 2 inches possibly accumulating during the day. But the main part of the storm system, due Wednesday, could bring up to 8 inches of snow and a coating of ice to Charlotte. Damaging accumulations of ice are possible not far to the southeast of the city, and forecasters say a major ice storm is looming for parts of South Carolina and central North Carolina.
“Charlotte could be hit with a heavy amount of both snow and ice,” said Kristina Pydynowski`
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy


Just in case..The Okie Corral.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:27   #15
Jon_R
Silver Membership
Senior Member
 
Jon_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,456
Hmmm i fly through Atlanta Wed around 6pm. I am sure that will go great...
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:44   #16
snubfan
Giant Member
 
snubfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPOPE View Post

....Every year I practice in empty lots to get a feel for sliding around....
LIAR!!! You're not doing it for "practice", you're doing it because it's a blast and it's still that same out of control feeling you had when you were 16 years old!!!

I'm 43 and I still whip into empty lots whenever I get a chance!
__________________
http://www.lp.org/
snubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:06   #17
686Owner
NRA Life Member
 
686Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: KY
Posts: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by costanza187 View Post
Ice is nasty stuff, we were without power 11 days a few years ago. Not fun!
From the windstorm from the leftover hurricane (Ike was it?). Luckily we were only without power for maybe half the day. My boss lives up the road and his was out for 7 days.

Or did you get that bad ice storm that was south of here?
__________________
My Gun Photos

Last edited by 686Owner; 02-10-2014 at 20:06..
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:02   #18
plp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 421
WARNING, POLITICAL RANT!!!

I'm an Alabama redneck, while born in Indiana, have hailed from the South all but the first 6 months of my life. I'm a construction gypsy, due to the fact I can't support my family in a sustainable manner locally due to economy, and have spent the past 30 years on the road, wherever someone needs a power plant, military base, refinery, or major industrial development built.

I have multiple jobs I can't discuss, due to signed confidentiality agreements, and have 7 cards in my wallet that required people in black suits question my neighbors.

I am willing to do whatever is required, to see that I provide me and mine with the best I can. That mindset has a lot to do with why I post on this website.

Today, at 5:45 AM, I sat on the side of the road in Sioux City, Iowa in -10° temps and rounded up several noobs for orientation at a construction site. While doing so, I observed car tags entering the facility.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Virginia and Iowa, in order of frequency. I saw exactly 3 Iowa tags. This is on a job site with over 600 personnel.

At the bar tonight, I was one of three rednecks in a crowd of probably fifty. Two from Alabama, and one from Louisiana.

I am a gregarious type, find good people everywhere, and tonight was no exception, lots of genuinely decent folks out for a good time. While an introvert by nature, I"m also an optimist and look for the best in people, and am rarely disappointed.

I asked everyone I talked to about the weather, and here is the general consensus, from November to April they drink beer, have sex, and draw unemployment. Their goal is to produce Democrats in numbers to sustain their way of life. That is 6 months out of the year, devoted to decadence and debauchery.

My mother is from Iowa, and I remember coming to her hometown as a kid. Farmers all, hard workers, traditionalists and fiercely independent. Very conservative, while no idea about their politics, would believe they did not approve of LBJ and waved flags when Nixon took office.

Enter the 1970's, and farm subsidies. Subversion took hold, the short term fix to pay the mortgage and crop loans perverted the long term value system, and by the 1990's they went from red to blue.

What does this have to do with winter storms? Just my observation, that today's political climate dictates that desperate Southerners must travel 1200 miles from home, to work in sub zero temps, to provide sustinance for native Iowans so they do not have to leave the comfort of their hearth to earn their daily bread.
plp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:24   #19
THEPOPE
Nibb
 
THEPOPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 6,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
170" here so far, and I'm loving it. I've been on either alpine or nordic skis pretty much every day since late November.

holy Cod, man...you're in ground zero for lake effect snow....unreal, couldn't deal with that....

out...shivering...
__________________
violators will be prostituted to the

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:27   #20
THEPOPE
Nibb
 
THEPOPE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 6,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by snubfan View Post
LIAR!!! You're not doing it for "practice", you're doing it because it's a blast and it's still that same out of control feeling you had when you were 16 years old!!!

I'm 43 and I still whip into empty lots whenever I get a chance!
lol...caught....I tell young-uns to go to the lot and have some fun...best way to see what your vehicle will do...

IT'S A BLAST>>>>>so true, snubfan......out...
__________________
violators will be prostituted to the

fullest extent of the LAW...
THEPOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 21:46   #21
Hartford
Senior Member
 
Hartford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by plp View Post
WARNING, POLITICAL RANT!!!

I'm an Alabama redneck, while born in Indiana, have hailed from the South all but the first 6 months of my life. I'm a construction gypsy, due to the fact I can't support my family in a sustainable manner locally due to economy, and have spent the past 30 years on the road, wherever someone needs a power plant, military base, refinery, or major industrial development built.

I have multiple jobs I can't discuss, due to signed confidentiality agreements, and have 7 cards in my wallet that required people in black suits question my neighbors.

I am willing to do whatever is required, to see that I provide me and mine with the best I can. That mindset has a lot to do with why I post on this website.

Today, at 5:45 AM, I sat on the side of the road in Sioux City, Iowa in -10° temps and rounded up several noobs for orientation at a construction site. While doing so, I observed car tags entering the facility.

Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Virginia and Iowa, in order of frequency. I saw exactly 3 Iowa tags. This is on a job site with over 600 personnel.

At the bar tonight, I was one of three rednecks in a crowd of probably fifty. Two from Alabama, and one from Louisiana.

I am a gregarious type, find good people everywhere, and tonight was no exception, lots of genuinely decent folks out for a good time. While an introvert by nature, I"m also an optimist and look for the best in people, and am rarely disappointed.

I asked everyone I talked to about the weather, and here is the general consensus, from November to April they drink beer, have sex, and draw unemployment. Their goal is to produce Democrats in numbers to sustain their way of life. That is 6 months out of the year, devoted to decadence and debauchery.

My mother is from Iowa, and I remember coming to her hometown as a kid. Farmers all, hard workers, traditionalists and fiercely independent. Very conservative, while no idea about their politics, would believe they did not approve of LBJ and waved flags when Nixon took office.

Enter the 1970's, and farm subsidies. Subversion took hold, the short term fix to pay the mortgage and crop loans perverted the long term value system, and by the 1990's they went from red to blue.

What does this have to do with winter storms? Just my observation, that today's political climate dictates that desperate Southerners must travel 1200 miles from home, to work in sub zero temps, to provide sustinance for native Iowans so they do not have to leave the comfort of their hearth to earn their daily bread.
I'm over 1400 miles from home working in Oklahoma and I've spent more time in this state since October than I have at home. The only people on this shutdown are from NH and ME. There are about 50 vans full of railroad workers from Illinois at the hotel we are staying at.

There are plenty of low life lazy people that don't want to work in every state.
Hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 23:14   #22
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.
 
kirgi08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Acme proving grounds.
Posts: 26,668
Blog Entries: 1


Asheville got 1-2in,at my house we got 4in,just enough ta tick off the jeep and leave the f250 parked.'08.
__________________
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54   #23
costanza187
I like Macs
 
costanza187's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: =^..^= Litter Box
Posts: 11,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 686Owner View Post
From the windstorm from the leftover hurricane (Ike was it?). Luckily we were only without power for maybe half the day. My boss lives up the road and his was out for 7 days.

Or did you get that bad ice storm that was south of here?


Ice storm 09... pretty much leveled the area. We were out 11 days. I know some in the (even more) rural areas were out upwards of a month.
__________________
I'm so much cooler online.
costanza187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:17   #24
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape
 
SC Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 6,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
The South will rise again, unless there is more than an inch of snow.

Stay home, stay safe.
Little known history of the Civil War:

Lee was planning an assault of Washington that would have broken the Union and won the war. But then a few snowflakes fell and the entire Confederate Army ran out of bread and milk and could not get their horses to stay on the roads without skidding off.
__________________
Hug your barking irons as the Devil hugs a witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:34   #25
ithaca_deerslayer
Senior Member
 
ithaca_deerslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Posts: 18,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgraywolf View Post
Even us northern types who are used to a lot of snow have problems with ice storms. Good luck, stay safe.
True that.

Keep water, food, and back-up heat on hand for just such occasions. Not the sort of stuff you can rush to the corner store to get, but stuff you plan months ahead with.

But not all Northerners prepare. Some forget the last ice storm. They will be surprised when power goes out for a week, and it is 20 degrees outside, and all stores and services are closed becaused of iced roads and downed trees and downed power lines. Even their cell phones won't work.

And if it lasts 2 weeks, there will be mayhem.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:43.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,152
365 Members
787 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42