Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:25   #1
CHEF-LOU

LCP vs. LC 380 Which one?

Girlfriend wants to start carrying CCW. She is a new shooter (hasn't shot in a lot of years so...) and I want her to enjoy and be competent with her weapon choice. She is sort of set on the LCP because of the size, but my concern is the sights (or lack of) and recoil (her wrists are weak due to carpal tunnel). Anyone with experience with either or both of these weapons, an opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
- "Holy S**t!" "What a Ride!"

Last edited by CHEF-LOU; 03-19-2014 at 08:28..
CHEF-LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:32   #2
M2 Carbine

The LCP is not a pleasant gun to shoot and would be especially bad for a person with weak wrists. (I have a couple).

Although I have the LC9 I have not shot the LC380. I suspect the LC380 would be fairly mild to shoot.

Last edited by M2 Carbine; 03-19-2014 at 08:33..
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03   #3
Clusterfrack

A larger gun is almost always a better choice for a new shooter. Tiny mouseguns are the most difficult to shoot accurately, and can be dangerous in the hands of a new shooter.

"Weak wrists" sounds like a recipe for failures in many autos--especially if you're using low-recoil ammo.

I recommend getting her some training. Then, based on the recommendations of her instructor, pick the best gun and mode of carry for her.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16   #4
CHEF-LOU

Having never shot either, all I'm going on is personal opinion, agree, size does matter. bigger gun, less felt recoil. I also don't want her to get discouraged by not shooting well, hence concern about sights. Training is not an option, as I already told her, and she fully agrees. Local indoor range offers it (feel she would do better with a professional instructor PLUS she's less likely to question them than me).
Old 03-19-2014, 10:35   #5
4 glocks

My GF has a LCP and has no issues with the recoil. She never leaves the house with out it.

I would say it's a trade off from the two. LC380 more shoot able and a better range gun. The LCP more concealable and better for carry with women's clothes.

I good idea would be to find a range that rents gun and let her try a few. The range near me lets you try as many rentals guns you want as long as you buy there ammo.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:44   #6
Snuffy2202

I have an LCP and I carry it everywhere. However, it is hard to hold and you need to be experienced to shoot it well. She may want to go to something bigger.
Snuffy2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53   #7
China boy

I have an LCP with a hogue grip. The hogue grip makes the gun go from ok to awesome. If you get one definitely get the grip from amazon for $20. I have big hands and love my lcp. Im accurate at short distances. My girlfriend is surprised a small gun can have such a snap though. She doesnt like it. But i think practice would change her mind.
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:00   #8
45caldan

The only reason to have an LCP is for pocket carry IMO.
How does SHE plan to carry????
The larger gun is always a better choice provided you can conceal it....

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-19-2014, 12:07   #9
bac1023

If she plans to shoot it regularly, go with the LC380.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:12   #10
DaBurna

The new "rebranded" S&W Bodyguard (Sans the Laser) looks promising. It's even been rebranded as an M&P Line pistola.....

I'd go with the LC380 if those two options are the only ones considered. Escpecially since its a lady. It will still fit in most purses just fine.

You always could get her to get a Glock 42!!
DaBurna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:25   #11
JDennis

I have a lcp and don't think it is that snappy, but my ex did. I would go with the LC or even better and can wait for the newness premium to die down, the glock 42.
JDennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:51   #12
Oreglock

I love the LCP for its tiny size, but do find it snappy even with a Hogue grip, which I bought at Cabela's for around $10. It's not a comfortable gun to fire in my large hands, and I suspect smaller hands with weak wrists would find it much worse.

I never seen an LC 380 let alone fired one, but of the two that's going to be more comfortable to shoot.

However round here 380 ammo is hard to find, and expensive when you do find it. I'd recommend you look at 9mm conceal carry options, if you're planning on having your girlfriend practise much with it.
Oreglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54   #13
mnotlyon

I have an LCP that I carry almost every day. I like the gun because it's so easy to carry. My wife HATES it. The trigger is stiff, and she says it's gonna fly out of her hand when she shoots it.

I took my daughter gun shopping. I tried real hard to steer her towards the body guard. She tried it and couldn't pull the trigger at all.

My advice is to NEVER buy a woman a gun. Take them to the range, and let them try everything. If they don't like what the end up with, they won't carry it.
mnotlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 13:26   #14
CHEF-LOU

Thanks everyone for their comments! Local range does have an LCP there to shoot so I think that's where we will end up. Also another local shop has both on hand so we will go there and let her handle both. Keep the opinions coming, as I am going to show her this post and that I am not the only one that thinks this may be a bit "snappy" for a new shooter.

Last edited by CHEF-LOU; 03-19-2014 at 13:41..
Old 03-19-2014, 13:56   #15
Clusterfrack

My concern isn't the "snap"--it's whether she can hit what she's aiming at and use such a small gun safely.
Old 03-19-2014, 15:13   #16
M2 Carbine

The G42 has been mentioned.
I have over 600 rounds through a couple.
VERY accurate and VERY mild shooting.
3/4 inches longer than the LCP.

Personally, the G42 has replaced my LCP for pocket carry.

General Firearms Forum

Quote:
My advice is to NEVER buy a woman a gun. Take them to the range, and let them try everything. If they don't like what the end up with, they won't carry it.
This is the truth.
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 15:14   #17
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2 Carbine View Post
The LCP is not a pleasant gun to shoot and would be especially bad for a person with weak wrists. (I have a couple).

Although I have the LC9 I have not shot the LC380. I suspect the LC380 would be fairly mild to shoot.

Id go LC380 OR the new Glock 42(as its just about the exact same size as the LC380)

And to be 100% honest if it was my wife and the weak wrists id REALLY be considering the LCR in .38 special instead... id be very worried about limp wristing with a semi auto...cant limp wrist a Revolver...plus the .38 special is a better/more effective round....especially in +p

Last edited by CBennett; 03-19-2014 at 15:17..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 17:00   #18
MJB

I find my LCR, with range ammo, to be stronger recoil than my LCP w/Hogue handall and defensive ammo. There's no substitute for trying different guns. You may want to consider some 9mm pistols as well, at least let her try some. The Sig P290RS is quite small but has some weight to help soak up the recoil. Kahr would be another to try.
MJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:56   #19
mnotlyon

When I took my wife shopping, after trying everything we could get our hands on, she settled on a colt defender in 9mm. That gun wasn't even related to what I thought she'd like.
mnotlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43   #20
Boot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by China boy View Post
I have an LCP with a hogue grip. The hogue grip makes the gun go from ok to awesome. If you get one definitely get the grip from amazon for $20. I have big hands and love my lcp. Im accurate at short distances. My girlfriend is surprised a small gun can have such a snap though. She doesnt like it. But i think practice would change her mind.
I agree with China Boy. The Hogue is a must. I also added the pearce grip extension which helps improve the grip. With that said, my EDC is a Glock 27. Remember to practice and practice some more.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote