Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 15:10   #141
PhotoFeller
Senior Member
 
PhotoFeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Midwest and south
Posts: 2,803
Blog Entries: 2
I sense youthful naïveté in the OP's statements.

By the way, most of my family and acquaintances are not gun enthusiasts, nor are they anti-gun. There is a huge part of the US population that has little or no experience with firearms. Many guys in my basic training outfit didn't know squat about guns until they started training with one. We should be careful about putting folks into the 'anti' box simply because they are ignorant about or are afraid of guns.

Sounds like the OP's friends are plain anti-gun. Philosophical bias is hard to turn around, so they may be too broken to fix.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-09-2014 at 09:05..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 15:56   #142
Sainte
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 245
to put it crudely, it sounds like youre hanging out with a bunch of ******s...


and, if they are so quick to view you differently and with distrust, limiting their interactions with you and putting demands on your relationship, are these really the type of "friends" you want?


are they even healthy to be around?
Sainte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 16:17   #143
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 6,129
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Thanks!
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
I can definitely identify with what you described about how you know that it would ruin the meal if your friends knew you had a gun with you.

I am in a similar situation.

I wouldn't bring my gun to dinner with them, since I know that would make them uncomfortable, and I don't want that.

Are your anti-gun friends OK with hanging out at your house, if your guns are locked up?
I don't know. The people I'm thinking of have never been invited to my home. I have had anti- or just non-gun guests in my home, though, and honestly the issue mostly never came up. I dated a very liberal girl, once, though, and the issue eventually came up with her, as she spent more time and had more access, she eventually saw one. She was slightly nervous about it, and I just put it away and pointed out that it couldn't do anything without someone holding it. A month later she went camping with me and some friends, wound up shooting and enjoying it. Turned around 180deg. on the subject. Mostly, though, I don't tell people there are guns in my home. It's none of their business. I don't tell them what RX meds are in my medicine cabinet either. Why would I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
My friends just don't want guns around.
And that is their right. Remember, as much as you have the right to be armed, they have the right not to be. They have the right to abstain from shooting and avoid guns. They have the right to disapprove and be unreasonable. I don't personally think they have the right to try to vote their gun-free utopia into existence, but they would surely disagree, and I can see that side of the argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
They were appalled to find out that in Virginia, you can just walk into a store and buy a gun, without having to apply for a license, or register it.

They also didn't know that open carry is legal in Virginia, until I told them.
This sounds like you're making some of your own problems. Don't tell antis what the law doesn't say. It just upsets them and makes them want to "fix" it. Leave them in their happy ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
I care about them a lot, and I don't want to upset them by pushing them to accept my gun ownership.
Don't push them. Don't bring it up. If they bring it up, say something like: "I don't think we're going to agree on this issue, lets just table it." Anyone who values your friendship as much as you do theirs should respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
But the second amendment is important to me too.

That's why I am so confused regarding what to do.

Thanks again for your reply!

You're welcome again. The second amendment has nothing to do with your problem, really. It doesn't guarantee you the right to be liked, or have friends, or even not be reviled in the press every time something bad happens.

Good luck.
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 16:46   #144
secamp32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 128
I live in a heavily libitarded area. I don't talk about guns with most people because they will react the same way as OP friends. My close friends know I carry and don't care even though they aren't gun people.
To the OP maybe you should suggest they move to Maryland. The gun laws there are more in line with their way of thinking and only criminals carry guns there. Baltimore is a lovely place for them, very multicultural.
__________________
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.
secamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 17:07   #145
myglockisa23
Senior Member
 
myglockisa23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NE Georgia
Posts: 3,030


Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Here is my problem: I live in Northern Virginia. Virginia is pro-gun, but many people in NoVa are from other states, and aren't comfortable around firearms (including my closest friends).


Recently, I was hanging out with my friends and the issue of guns came up, and I mentioned that I'm a gun owner.

I was really surprised that my friends reacted with concern, as if finding out that I own guns is scary, or frightening.

One of my friends said that she thinks that "no one should be allowed to own guns," and my other friends seem to be frightened of the fact that I own guns. Another of my friends said that only the police should be allowed to have guns.

These are my closest friends...

But since finding out that I own guns, one of my friends said he doesn't want to hang out with me unless I get rid of the guns. Some of my other friends haven't said that (at least not yet), but they don't want to hang out at my apartment, since there are guns there (in my gun safe).


What should I do?
It's time to find some new friends.... You can do that when you move to a state that is 99% gun friendly like Georgia....I spent 17 years of my life in northern Virginia... and happy that I left....
__________________
G17, G19's, and a few more....
myglockisa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:13   #146
trx680
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dinwiddie Virginia
Posts: 6
Northern Virginia has many people with that anti-gun mentality. I think its DC and Maryland rubbing off on them. It's just a different breed up there compared to most of the rest of Va.

Try to find some new friends who have more in common with you and your gun interests.

Check out the opencarry.org (virginia) website. A lot of VCDL members on there who have dinners across the state including NoVa. Meet up with them sometime.

Also VaGunTrader.com ... lots of great gun guys there too on that forum.

Time for some new friends!!!!
trx680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:13   #147
RonS
Senior Member
 
RonS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Oh, USA
Posts: 11,167
Generally speaking someone who is likely to own a firearm and support the constitution is going to take a live and let live attitude about other people's choices. Liberal progressives take a Right and Wrong approach. They believe that disagreeing with them is not just wrong, it is Wrong with a capital W, or perhaps Heresy would be a better word.

If you are wrong, I can live with that unless your actions affect me. Someone who has the attitude that they and their beliefs are Right generally feels the need to make disagreeing with them illegal. History is full of those kinds of people. They are the kinds of people who burn books and people. They build reeducation camps and put people in them "for their own good" or for the good of society.

If I were you, I would start making another circle of friends because I suspect that you are going to start finding your present friends less fun to be around.

Sorry, you choose the red pill, you can't go back. Look around and make your own choices.

Still, no reason to be rude, that is a lib/prog habit, you can always try to just not discuss it. Live and let live. Then see if they are willing to extend the same courtesy to you.
__________________
Decent law abiding people must fear criminals and the law while criminals have nothing to fear.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:20   #148
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,749


Quote:
Originally Posted by G36's Rule View Post
Six pages of this nonsense...

OP, who did you vote for in the last Presidential election?
Considering the two choices, what would that indicate? HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:20   #149
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 6,129
Blog Entries: 2
Deleted, double-tap.
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 02-08-2014 at 18:24..
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:23   #150
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 6,129
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Generally speaking someone who is likely to own a firearm and support the constitution is going to take a live and let live attitude about other people's choices. Liberal progressives take a Right and Wrong approach. They believe that disagreeing with them is not just wrong, it is Wrong with a capital W, or perhaps Heresy would be a better word.

If you are wrong, I can live with that unless your actions affect me. Someone who has the attitude that they and their beliefs are Right generally feels the need to make disagreeing with them illegal. History is full of those kinds of people. They are the kinds of people who burn books and people. They build reeducation camps and put people in them "for their own good" or for the good of society.

If I were you, I would start making another circle of friends because I suspect that you are going to start finding your present friends less fun to be around.

Sorry, you choose the red pill, you can't go back. Look around and make your own choices.

Still, no reason to be rude, that is a lib/prog habit, you can always try to just not discuss it. Live and let live. Then see if they are willing to extend the same courtesy to you.
Good post. To the OP, I would add, maybe start taking some AOJ/Criminology courses (in line with your career aspirations, anyway, right?) take a CCW course, join a shooting club or range association, get involved with local pro-2A political groups. This will afford you opportunity to make some new friends who share your interest. JMO.
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:25   #151
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues
 
aircarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 25,066


If I had any friends who were anti-gun, they'd certainly know better than to bring it up with me ....

.
__________________
They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:29   #152
newgene
Senior Member
 
newgene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 733
Since they were happy to vocally express their opinion, like most anti-gun people are, you should feel equally justified in adamantly expressing your opinion. I would maybe equate your 2nd Amendment right to other's 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. Amendment rights. Giving up your rights is wrong on so many fronts. If they are your friends, they will respect your opinions. Otherwise, they are just folks willing to hang out with you because they enjoying just passing time around you.

I'm curious. Are they truly against gun ownership, or are they just agreeing because that is the consensus of others with their political views. i.e. is it just liberal status quo, and are they also pro every other liberal agenda. If the opposite, they are sincerely against it for likely a true reason.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:37   #153
WilliamDahl
Senior Member
 
WilliamDahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX Gulf Coast
Posts: 229
Blog Entries: 1
I suspect that I'll never have your problem with anti-gun "friends" since I refuse to associate with metro-sexual quiche eaters.

Your problem is the leftist Yankees that are infiltrating the formerly great state of Virginia. It's been suggested that we take a lesson from the KKK in intimidation techniques. But, instead of burning crosses in their lawn, we need to burn Starbucks cups.

People like these are idiots. They might believe that Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion is absolute, but they refuse to believe that the 2nd Amendment is absolute. For that matter, many of the *supposed* supporters of the 2nd Amendment don't even understand this all that well either.
WilliamDahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:43   #154
method
Senior Member
 
method's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Generally speaking someone who is likely to own a firearm and support the constitution is going to take a live and let live attitude about other people's choices. Liberal progressives take a Right and Wrong approach. They believe that disagreeing with them is not just wrong, it is Wrong with a capital W, or perhaps Heresy would be a better word.
Yeah, you never see conservatives casting judgments of right or wrong, especially on GT.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:49   #155
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 6,129
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
Yeah, you never see conservatives casting judgments of right or wrong, especially on GT.
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 02-08-2014 at 18:50..
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:49   #156
WilliamDahl
Senior Member
 
WilliamDahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: TX Gulf Coast
Posts: 229
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowHead View Post
Considering the two choices, what would that indicate? HH
Well, it would indicate whether you voted for the Democrat or the Socialist.

It would also indicate whether you understood that there was only ONE legal candidate running since the other one was not a "natural born" citizen due to the fact that his father was not a US citizen at the time of his birth (or any time thereafter).

We are having a Constitutional Crisis now due to the fact that we do not have a legal President in office. We have an illegal squatter at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and no one is willing to do anything about it because they are afraid of being called a racist. It's not racist to point out the truth. The Founding Fathers intended for the Commander-in-Chief of the Army to have no foreign allegiances (as might occur if he had citizenship via one parent to another country).
WilliamDahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:55   #157
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate
 
RagnarDanneskjold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Behind the Tofu Curtain
Posts: 6,129
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
Well, it would indicate whether you voted for the Democrat or the Socialist.

It would also indicate whether you understood that there was only ONE legal candidate running since the other one was not a "natural born" citizen due to the fact that his father was not a US citizen at the time of his birth (or any time thereafter).

We are having a Constitutional Crisis now due to the fact that we do not have a legal President in office. We have an illegal squatter at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and no one is willing to do anything about it because they are afraid of being called a racist. It's not racist to point out the truth. The Founding Fathers intended for the Commander-in-Chief of the Army to have no foreign allegiances (as might occur if he had citizenship via one parent to another country).
That rant is totally relevant and on point. Well done.
__________________
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides, Greek Historian
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 19:01   #158
HollowHead
Firm member
 
HollowHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam
Posts: 23,749


Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
Yeah, you never see conservatives casting judgments of right or wrong, especially on GT.
HH
__________________
Never trust a pastor with a day job.

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 19:18   #159
serve_and_protect
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
I also live in NoVA - Fairfax City. Your original post is precisely, if incompletely, the type of reaction the anti-gunners give.
Hey furioso2112,

Thanks for your reply. It's great to hear from another gun owner in NoVA.

Quote:
I have tried everything reasonable I can think of in conversation: avoid the subject (they continue bring it up and I counter their inaccurate or short-sighted comments with facts and links); they will bring up insane questions (should everybody be allowed to have a nuclear bomb?), and when presented with reasonable responses that they cannot counter, turn the argument onto me as if I brought up: "so what you think the answer is?".
Yeah, the same thing happened with me (the nuclear bomb questions).

I said "do you think people should be able to own knives, swords, pepper spray, a hockey stick?"

And they turned it around on me and said "Do you think people should be able to have rocket launchers, missiles, a hand grenade, nuclear bombs?"

So then I told them about how the Second Amendment says "keep and bear arms," so it would seem to refer to anything you can carry around.

Then they asked if a hand grenade should be protected by 2A, and I said "I guess"

And then they said "What about a should-fired missile?" (They meant a surface-to-air MANPAD).

I didn't know what to say to that.


Quote:
I have invited them to the range (no takers here, yet, among the anti-crowd). I have tried to engage with people who share similar beliefs to mine (good luck finding a friend or two in this area like that). Many of my friends are, as I am, parents of young kids, which in this area is even more reason that many state they are anti-. I have some neighbors and friends in agencies that are enthusiasts, but when they shoot it's on the agency's dime at the agency's range, which I don't have access to.
Same here. My friends aren't willing to go to the range with me, even though I explained that ranges have safety officers who make sure that people don't have accidental discharges, etc.

There are some law enforcement officers in our church, but my friends see their gun ownership as part of their job.

They feel that wanting to own guns isn't acceptable, but having to own them for a government job is ok.

Quote:
Now, go to a gun shop or range (Sterling Arsenal, Blue Ridge, Silver Eagle Group, etc.,. etc., etc.) and there are plenty of people in there. I don't tend to run into them in everyday life, though, to the extent that we end up in social exchanges that lead to friendship. There are quite a few military (or ex-) and LE around, but I suppose especially among active, they tend to group together. I had some trainings in shared space at the police academy and noticed all the postings in the break room were for roommates of a certain lifestyle (LEO).

Invite, don't alienate. Exposure to reasonable gun owners/users is a likely way that a thoughtful spark in one person might eventually lead to curiosity, wanting to see a firearm, asking questions about safe storage, etc. Be their go-to guy for good, rational information and open to their willingness to change, and someday, maybe, one of them will see reality:
Thanks for the advice furioso! I will check out those ranges/stores you mentioned.

Quote:
At an absolute minimum, the most reasonable anti-gun position is that a person might be anti-gun, but realize that it is impossible to "get rid of all the guns" and the technology to make them, and with (the anti's) fear of the proliferation of guns, it is irresponsible to NOT have enough familiarity with firearms to know what to do when he runs across one, or an armed person acting dangerously.
What you are saying definitely makes sense to me.

I have told my friends how it is impossible to ever remove guns from society, since criminals don't follow the law.

But they still think that restricting people from buying guns will make society safer, even though criminals don't follow the laws.

The feeling I get is that they don't think a law-abiding civilian has a legitimate reason to own a gun.

Thanks again for your reply!
serve_and_protect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 19:21   #160
serve_and_protect
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettely View Post
The best way to convert anti gunners is have them shoot a .22
Hey Vettely,

Thanks for your reply. I have asked them numerous times (practically begged them) to come to a range or at least a gun show with me, so they can find out that guns aren't bad or scary.

Every time I offer, they refuse, and just mentioning it seems to stress them out.
serve_and_protect is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 22:20.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,018
281 Members
737 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31