Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2014, 18:24   #101
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 02-08-2014 at 14:07..
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 18:28   #102
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Do you have poor quality friends, or do you conduct yourself in such a manner as to come across as someone not stable or mature enough to have firearms?
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply!

I don't think it is either of those.

I certainly don't consider them poor quality friends at all.

They are extremely awesome and kind and caring. They are great friends.

I also don't think that I come across as unstable or immature.

They trust me in all other circumstances.

So I don't think that they don't trust me personally to own guns.

I imagine they would react the same if one of their other friends owned guns.

I think that the issue is that they just don't feel safe around guns, and the idea that a regular person like me owns firearms is concerning to them, since they don't know anyone else who owns guns (apart from law enforcement or military).
serve_and_protect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 18:35   #103
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, we'd also like to thank you for our friend serve and protect. We hope that you can use your baby Jesus powers to heal him and his horrible leg. It smells terrible and the dogs are always bothering with it... We don't know why he would choose a name that indicates he is a police officer unless he is one. Nor do we understand why none of his friends think he needs to have a gun if he's a cop.
Hi Bill,

I'm not really sure what you mean by this.

What does a leg have to do with anything?

Someone asked me in a previous post if I am a police officer/LE and I replied that I am not LE, but that is the career field I am interested in.

I didn't think that my choice of nickname would offend anyone.

I also replied to your other post.
Old 02-07-2014, 18:39   #104
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
Yeah, I dont think this is a troll-post. Its better than 300 words which is not typical of someone just trying to poke.

I think this guy really wants to know what other gun owners think. If we are inclined to comment, we should at least give him the benefit of the doubt and be honest. I would comment further but I have already commented previously.
Thanks for the support FireForged!

I also replied to your other post in this thread.
Old 02-07-2014, 18:44   #105
spiriteagle20

As your pastor says, owning guns is not important, so, conversely, not owning guns is not important, so, the whole issue, by extrapolation, is not important. Problem solved.
spiriteagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 18:52   #106
Resqu2

Your not going to convince them guns are good and there not going to convince you guns are bad so you really need to completely avoid the topic. You told them how you feel and you need to leave it at that. Don't bring them up at all and if they do just say your not talking about guns to Change the subject. Oh yea, welcome to this crazy place.
Old 02-07-2014, 19:04   #107
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

Maybe it's time to consider new friends. The ones you have really aren't.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 19:13   #108
Flying-Dutchman

Pretty sure a troll...

I do not know people like the ones the OP is referring to.

A gun is a tool. No need to ever discuss guns unless it is with friends who have a similar interest.

Do not reveal you own guns around people who hate them. You do not have to answer prying questions.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 19:18   #109
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Before a new acquaintance can become my friend, I will know his or her position regarding guns.

Later I may or may not reveal the fact that I own guns.

Life is too short to deal with antigun, pro-Obama fools.
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 19:43   #110
frank4570
Feral human

Do your friends think gay-marriage should be illegal? The arguments are almost exactly the same.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 19:46   #111
Hej Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Before a new acquaintance can become my friend, I will know his or her position regarding guns.

Later I may or may not reveal the fact that I own guns.

Life is too short to deal with antigun, pro-Obama fools.
Yep........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19 Gen4; Llama .22LR; Astra .380 ACP
Hej Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 19:50   #112
SmithietheFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide_pisco View Post
If they don't respect you for what you believe in, they're not your friends. Sometimes you have to cut loose people.

You can make new friends who respect your views.
^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Always looking for rare FN-FAL 50.00 rifles, German Weatherbys, and Stoner 63A parts.
SmithietheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 19:55   #113
norton

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Tell them you're anti-abortion and smoke hash. Then watch their heads spin.
And that you believe in gay rights, saving the planet, recycling, riding bicycles to work, all animals are the same as human beings, and you think Hillary is the anti Christ.
Old 02-07-2014, 20:16   #114
VC-Racing
General Flunky

If it ain't been said yet...... who needs enemies with friends like that. ......

Sent via da Samsung S4 and da Ohubs Camp fir app
Old 02-07-2014, 21:10   #115
furioso2112

I also live in NoVA - Fairfax City. Your original post is precisely, if incompletely, the type of reaction the anti-gunners give. I have tried everything reasonable I can think of in conversation: avoid the subject (they continue bring it up and I counter their inaccurate or short-sighted comments with facts and links); they will bring up insane questions (should everybody be allowed to have a nuclear bomb?), and when presented with reasonable responses that they cannot counter, turn the argument onto me as if I brought up: "so what you think the answer is?". I have invited them to the range (no takers here, yet, among the anti-crowd). I have tried to engage with people who share similar beliefs to mine (good luck finding a friend or two in this area like that). Many of my friends are, as I am, parents of young kids, which in this area is even more reason that many state they are anti-. I have some neighbors and friends in agencies that are enthusiasts, but when they shoot it's on the agency's dime at the agency's range, which I don't have access to.

Now, go to a gun shop or range (Sterling Arsenal, Blue Ridge, Silver Eagle Group, etc.,. etc., etc.) and there are plenty of people in there. I don't tend to run into them in everyday life, though, to the extent that we end up in social exchanges that lead to friendship. There are quite a few military (or ex-) and LE around, but I suppose especially among active, they tend to group together. I had some trainings in shared space at the police academy and noticed all the postings in the break room were for roommates of a certain lifestyle (LEO).

Invite, don't alienate. Exposure to reasonable gun owners/users is a likely way that a thoughtful spark in one person might eventually lead to curiosity, wanting to see a firearm, asking questions about safe storage, etc. Be their go-to guy for good, rational information and open to their willingness to change, and someday, maybe, one of them will see reality: At an absolute minimum, the most reasonable anti-gun position is that a person might be anti-gun, but realize that it is impossible to "get rid of all the guns" and the technology to make them, and with (the anti's) fear of the proliferation of guns, it is irresponsible to NOT have enough familiarity with firearms to know what to do when he runs across one, or an armed person acting dangerously.
Old 02-07-2014, 21:57   #116
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Thanks for the support FireForged!

I also replied to your other post in this thread.
Give up all your guns.
Get it over now.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 23:28   #117
dhoomonyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide_pisco View Post
If they don't respect you for what you believe in, they're not your friends. Sometimes you have to cut loose people.

You can make new friends who respect your views.
I second that.
Smith & Wesson Club # 711
Do not demand accomplishment from those with no talent.
dhoomonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 00:06   #118
vettely

The best way to convert anti gunners is have them shoot a .22
Old 02-08-2014, 00:07   #119
Speleothem

Mebbie they're just afraid that you'll shoot them.
Speleothem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 00:13   #120
moeman

I have friends that we see eye to eye on most everything except one subject.

In your case guns (same for some of my friends)...

Simple answer is don't try and convert them and put up a strong boundary when they try and convert you. If they keep at trying to convert you then....you have an answer-- a real friend acknowledges their friends boundaries. Forget discussion in a group-- you may have better luck with a one on one... Or not, so proceed with caution.

For example, one night at dinner, right before Mother's Day, I thought a good ice breaker was to say " since Mother's Day is right around the corner why don't we go around the table and share something nice about our moms"...

Immediately a friend I've know 6-7 years stops the conversation and says "no! We need a different subject"... I have no idea why... But all of us were ok to move on... If I didn't respect my friends wishes I would have asked " why not..." However, no is good enough for me.

Last edited by moeman; 02-08-2014 at 00:14..
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote