Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2014, 16:39   #81
G26S239
NRA Patron

Jettison those friends.
Old 02-07-2014, 16:58   #82
jime17

i also short time gun owner, bought first one at 58 yrs young,now 60, had some surprising reactions and a few awkward silences, from friends and family. i was a littlle surprised, however no serious concerns from anyone, but have not told them about new 30sf bought last friday
jime17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:04   #83
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeboy01 View Post
Give them time to quit spazzing out. Probably there's at least one in the group who's at least curious. Bide your time and let them bring the subject up again, preferably when you're in a one- on- one situation away from the more hysterical anti- gun ones. Offer to take them shooting. Before you know it, you'll make a convert.
Hi Dukeboy01,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried asking one of them if he wants to go to a range. He said that he isn't interested.

Previously, I had asked my friends if they wanted to come to a gun show with me, so they could see that gun owners are regular people, who just happen to be interested in guns, just like any other interest/hobby (I compared it to fishing, boating, skiing, etc).

They didn't want to come to the gun show with me, either.

Do you think I should keep asking them to come shooting with me, even if they say no?

It seems like every time the subject of guns comes up, their view is "just give up the guns, they are dangerous," and they act like owning firearms is strange/embarrassing.

Most of them have moved here from more left-wing states, so they aren't into guns.

If I keep asking them to come shooting, do you think that would stress them out further?

Last edited by serve_and_protect; 02-07-2014 at 17:15.. Reason: Removed a line I typed twice by accident
serve_and_protect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:14   #84
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
You dont do anything... I have friends that are liberal. It doesnt make them less capable of being a good friend. Friendship is a investment in many things and as long as you get a return on that investment, its not a wasted venture.

I have several friends who are anti gun.. I respect that position to the degree that I do not carry to their home or in the cars but other than that, I tell them to shut up about it. I have had no problems with it nor have I lost any friends over it.
Hi Fireforged,

Thanks for your advice.

I do respect their position, and I wouldn't bring my guns over to their house or in their cars, since they are so uncomfortable around firearms.

I don't think I could just tell them to not bring it up though, because they don't want to hang out at my apartment (even though my guns are trigger-locked and in my gun safe.

And one of them (so far) has said that I need to "get rid of" my guns, if I want to keep hanging out with him.

My friends really don't understand why I care about owning guns, and they see my views as unreasonable. I keep trying to tell them about the Second Amendment, about self-defense, and other pro-gun points of view, but they just keep telling me to get rid of my guns, and my pastor told me that since it makes my friends uncomfortable, I should just get rid of them, since owning guns isn't important.

They aren't into guns, so they don't understand why I am.

I just cannot convince them of my point of view, no matter what I say.
Old 02-07-2014, 17:19   #85
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
One on one conversation is where you can really win the heart and mind. Be kind, trustworthy and articulate. Some people are just beyond reasoning, sadly enough.
Hi Rustin, thanks for your reply.

Do you think that I should bring it up in one-on-one conversation, or should I wait for them to mention it (if they do)?
Old 02-07-2014, 17:22   #86
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

OK. Troll alert.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:22   #87
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
A 2 post troll

Hi Geeorge,

I'm not a troll.

I just joined GlockTalk, so that's why I only have a couple of posts.

I also posted a thread in the Introduction forum, since I just became a GT member.
Old 02-07-2014, 17:24   #88
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
OK. Troll alert.
Hey,

Why do you think I'm a troll?

I'm not.

I posted this thread because this is a serious problem for me.

I have read GT for a while, but have never joined.

I also posted a thread in the Introduction section, if you want to know more about me.

I'm not a troll, just a new member.
Old 02-07-2014, 17:35   #89
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone0538 View Post
Way to early to tell if you are a troll. I figure either that, or this conversation with your friends prompted you to join GT. Your name implies that you are a law enforcement officer, but if you were, it would be surprising that your friends were surprised.

We obviously can't tell you what to do. You have to decide if it is worth it to be friends with people that don't respect your decision to be able to defend yourself. I would probably continue to be friends with them, and either not bring it up, or ask them what they would do if someone breaks in their house.

Speaking of that, if all of your guns are unloaded and locked up, if someone does break in, they probably won't do you any good.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not a troll.

You are right that the conversation with my friends prompted me to finally join GT, although I have read the forums for a while.

I also posted a thread in the Introduction forum.

I am not a law enforcement officer, but working in Law Enforcement is my aspiration, which is why I picked this nickname.

I think that if I was actually a law enforcement officer, my friends view would probably be different, since they know that the police have to be armed. They are uncomfortable with regular people owning guns.

I have tried to use self-defense logic when explaining gun ownership to them, and asking what they would do if someone broke into their house.

They said "try to defend myself" (or in the case of the ones who are married, defend their spouse).

So I said, "Wouldn't you want the most effective tool for self-defense, just like you would want the best fire extinguisher to put out a fire?"

But they told me that having firearms around would just make things more dangerous, and they would rather call 911, and they have a alarm system.

So I told them the common saying that the police take minutes to arrive, when criminals might break in before the police can get there.

But they just keep saying that regular people don't need guns, and that I need to get rid of mine, and they seem upset/concerned that I own guns.

With regard to the last point you made, about keeping them locked up, I know that they probably won't do me any good if someone breaks in.

I decided to lock them in the safe and also trigger lock them (and keep my magazines unloaded), in the hopes that would make my friends comfortable, but it hasn't, and they still don't want to hang out at my apartment.
Old 02-07-2014, 17:46   #90
Johnny Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jime17 View Post
i also short time gun owner, bought first one at 58 yrs young,now 60, had some surprising reactions and a few awkward silences, from friends and family. i was a littlle surprised, however no serious concerns from anyone, but have not told them about new 30sf bought last friday
You and the OP are in a unique position to spread the good word. People need to get hands on experience instead of gobbling up the complete and utter BS that they're constantly spoon fed by the media and company.

Obviously, y'all's friends DO NOT have the ability to think for themselves. So TEACH THEM!
Johnny Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:49   #91
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
I decided to lock them in the safe and also trigger lock them (and keep my magazines unloaded), in the hopes that would make my friends comfortable, but it hasn't, and they still don't want to hang out at my apartment.
With most anti-gun people their opinion is their religion. They simply will not believe anything else. Truth and facts don't matter to them, they have their faith.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:49   #92
Huaco Kid

When my daughter was little, she once had a slumber party. One of the Dads was dropping off his daughter and, while visiting, asked if we had any firearms in the house (I never asked that question, but, fair enough). I told him yes and they were locked in a safe. He asked if he could see the safe (a Liberty safe, upstairs in our bedroom) and verify that the guns were secure. I told him no. I told him that if he was going to trust us with his daughter he would have to trust us on that. He didn't really like it, but he acquiesced.

(I could tell a funny story about a company "team building", fun day at the laser-tag place, that freaked many co-workers, but that's another thread.)
Huaco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 17:50   #93
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
Troll or not, this is EXACTLY how antis think. They would roll over and die pleading with some demon spawn to spare their lives while said spawn cut their gizzards loose with a dull butter knife wrather than defend themselves.

Personally, I can't imagine (much less abide) such a mindset, but I have seen and heard such statements myself. I find the one especially telling. That 'they don't trust themselves with a gun' so why in the name of John Moses Browning would they trust you with one. That's the crux of the matter right there. They don't trust themselves, so no one else can be trusted either, regardless of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I had one (lady online from Austrailia) friend politely ask me to change the subject when I in polite terms told her I refused to be food for some godless vermin. We haven't spoken since and probably won't again through no wish of my own.

Gray_Rider

P.S. I once watched an anti gun lady all but turn green with fear when I told her I had an AK. Like I was a terrorist wannabe ready to slaughter everyone is sight. AKs have that effect on people Im told.

Just the pure evil of the darned old things posions the mind...
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I can't understand the mindset of being anti-gun either.

I have seen a person open carrying (just once so far), and I didn't panic or call 911, or run away or anything like that.

I simply went about my day as normal.

I am not afraid of guns.

I have tried to explain the pro-gun mindset with all the gun owner resources that are available online (explanations of self-defense, YouTube videos, etc).

They listen to what I have to say, but then when I am done, they say that I am wrong, and that a normal person does not need to own guns, especially not for self-defense.

They are simply not into guns. They even asked me if my guns are licensed and registered.

I told them that in Virginia, you don't need a license to buy a gun, and there is no way to register it with the police, since Virginia doesn't keep records of gun ownership.

Most of my friends are from left-wing states, and most of them don't know anyone who owns or likes guns (aside from law enforcement/military).
Old 02-07-2014, 18:00   #94
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

I would just leave it be if your friends mean a lot to you.

If any of them become curious they will ask. Just be a responsible gun owner that provides an example different from the propaganda they've been fed.

Welcome to GT, you probably noticed it isn't a place for the thin skinned.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 18:00   #95
Dave514

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
And one of them (so far) has said that I need to "get rid of" my guns, if I want to keep hanging out with him.

I'm sure you've explained that the founding fathers wanted citizens to have the right to bear arms to protect themselves from the possibility of a tyrannical government that rules over them.

Beyond that, if they can't respect your legal rights... F'em. I can't be friends with people who want to change the Constitution because they will feel more "safe" if no one but LE and Military have guns.

I have friends of all walks of life, races, religions, etc... but if someone feels SO strongly that I need to change that they can't be friends with me unless I do... Hell with that. No freakin' way. I don't force them to change. That's not a friend.
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 18:01   #96
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Since MOST fear of guns comes from a position of ignorance, a little education can be a good thing. And if he opens the eyes of one person, that's one person more than was on our side yesterday.
Hi Lone_Wolfe,

Thanks for your reply!

I agree with you that their anti-gun views are because my friends have never been around guns, or owned them.

Since they are from areas of the country that are more left-wing, guns just seem dangerous to them.

I assumed that when I started talking to them about guns, and logically explaining with facts and reasons why gun ownership is very important, and a constitutional right, that they would say "Wow, I never thought of it that way."

But that isn't what happened.

They just seem to be uncomfortable around guns, to the point where they don't want to come over to my apartment even though my guns are unloaded and trigger locked and in my safe, and even the magazines are unloaded.

They just keep telling me to get rid of them because guns make them uncomfortable, and that if I get rid of the guns, they will be totally happy hanging out at my place again.

I just can't think of anything that would change their mind, or at least get them to accept gun ownership as normal, rather than something that should be illegal or at least highly restricted.

They are awesome people, and the nicest people I know, so it pains me that my gun ownership makes them uncomfortable.
Old 02-07-2014, 18:03   #97
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
With most anti-gun people their opinion is their religion. They simply will not believe anything else. Truth and facts don't matter to them, they have their faith.

Last edited by concretefuzzynuts; 02-07-2014 at 18:05..
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 18:11   #98
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post

Welcome to the site and to firearms ownership.
Thanks!

Quote:

I have a number of extremely liberal and anti-gun friends. Mostly, we simply don't discuss it. When we do, it's ok, because while they're as passionate on the subject as I am, we're all adults and respect each other. That said, I'm certain they would be appalled, if they ever came to realize that I not only own, but carry. (They quite reasonably assume this isn't possible, as we live in California.) There is no reason for them to know that. If we are sitting in a restaurant, having a nice meal, my sidearm bothers them not a bit. If they knew about it, though, it would bother them very much and ruin everyone's meal. So, I don't tell them. It's none of their business, anyway.

JMO.
I can definitely identify with what you described about how you know that it would ruin the meal if your friends knew you had a gun with you.

I am in a similar situation.

I wouldn't bring my gun to dinner with them, since I know that would make them uncomfortable, and I don't want that.

Are your anti-gun friends OK with hanging out at your house, if your guns are locked up?

My friends just don't want guns around.

They were appalled to find out that in Virginia, you can just walk into a store and buy a gun, without having to apply for a license, or register it.

They also didn't know that open carry is legal in Virginia, until I told them.

I care about them a lot, and I don't want to upset them by pushing them to accept my gun ownership.

But the second amendment is important to me too.

That's why I am so confused regarding what to do.

Thanks again for your reply!
Old 02-07-2014, 18:20   #99
John Watson

I think if they are that put out about you owning firearms it will become an issue and argument every time firearms are negatively reported on in the media, which is all too often unfortunately. I predict that they will become less fun to be around and you will drift apart from those who cannot moderate their views.
Old 02-07-2014, 18:21   #100
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCop View Post
If your friends are so irrational that they are horrified about you owning several inanimate objects even to the extent of one practically disowning you, I'd say be patient with them and keep your guns.

Be proud of who you are and your decision to carry on the tradition of firearm ownership. Maybe one day your friends will come around. And if they don't come around and continue to judge you according to your choice in having a different lifestyle, then I guess they're not much friends to you after all. Are they?
Hi MoCop,

Thanks for your advice!

I am proud to be a gun owner, and the Second Amendment is very important to me.

I really do hope my friends come around.

Regarding whether they are judging my lifestyle, I don't think that they are intentionally trying to offend me, or anything like that.

I think that the idea of one of their friends owning guns just concerns and frightens them.

I don't think their motives are bad. They are part of my church community, and they are the most caring people I have ever met.

They just don't agree with my views on gun ownership.

So I think from their point of view, they are not being unfriendly. They just think firearms ownership is dangerous and abnormal.

As I mentioned in the original post, they told me that I shouldn't be offended that they don't approve of me owning guns, since they don't want to own guns either. My pastor even said that I shouldn't be offended, since he doesn't even trust himself to own a gun. He just thinks guns are dangerous.

I know that my friends aren't trying to deprive me of a right, or restrict my lifestyle.

So I am not mad at them or anything like that.

I just wish they would understand why gun ownership is important and at least accept it, even if they don't agree with me.