Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:41   #61
lonewolf01

I always find it ironic that some people expect me to tolerate , even condone, their social vices when it's politically correct to do so yet, they are not tolerant of my choice to exercise my constitutional right to carry a firearm.
"Come to me those of you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest" - Matt 11:28
lonewolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:52   #62
southern thunder

I find it much easier to be friends with someone that shares common beliefs and interest. You need new friends.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:10   #63
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
Your friends are the ones ruining my beautiful Commonwealth of Virginia.

The best thing you can do is to keep your principals and guns, be patient and kind, show them that you are a normal person (assuming that you are) and if they choose to dismiss you as a friend- it's their loss.

Northern Virginia and Eastern Maryland are victims of an over reaching government.
Agreed. If they won't accept your choices and explanation, let them go. I'm not saying to push your friends away, but if they are true friends they will accept you.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:13   #64
ithaca_deerslayer

Don't talk about guns anymore with them. Eventually make new friends if need be.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:16   #65
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Dear Lord Baby Jesus, we'd also like to thank you for our friend serve and protect. We hope that you can use your baby Jesus powers to heal him and his horrible leg. It smells terrible and the dogs are always bothering with it... We don't know why he would choose a name that indicates he is a police officer unless he is one. Nor do we understand why none of his friends think he needs to have a gun if he's a cop.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:23   #66
Cambo

Make it personal for them by giving them a situation where they would want a gun:

"A vicious rapist comes into your house. He smashes through the door and you can't get to your cellphone. You run to your bedroom where you have your pistol. Are you glad that you have a gun under those circumstances?"

If they say no, I wouldn't want a gun, they are essentially suicidal and definitely mentally ill. If they say yes, under those circumstances, they would want a gun - then you win. Originally being from NJ, I have experienced these types of people before. I volunteered to send home/personal defense stories via e-mail to one of the mentally ill ones and he didn't want to know about them. The reason is he lives in a bubble where nothing bad will happen to him and he doesn't want that violated. NEVER GIVE UP YOUR RIGHTS TO MAKE SOMEONE ELSE FEEL COMFORTABLE - ESPECIALLY ONES THAT DON'T DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:28   #67
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, we'd also like to thank you for our friend serve and protect. We hope that you can use your baby Jesus powers to heal him and his horrible leg. It smells terrible and the dogs are always bothering with it... We don't know why he would choose a name that indicates he is a police officer unless he is one. Nor do we understand why none of his friends think he needs to have a gun if he's a cop.
You might want to add "owned a gun for less than a year" to your prayer for our friend with a name implying he's LE who has friends with concerns about a LEO having a firearm.

OP (you're new - it stands for "Original Poster" aka the thread starter), you might want to clear this up if you're legit.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:38   #68
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Get new friends. A gun range can be a good place to start.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:39   #69
SGT HATRED

Put me down on the find new friends side.

But as others have said, one on one conversations will help. Mob mentality can make people do and say funny things to try and fit in.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:50   #70
Johnny Ringo

It's so ridiculous that people truly feel the way your friends do about guns...

Here's what I would do...

Nothing.

All I would do differently when you're around them is to start, every few minutes, suddenly and without warning, shouting out "BANG!!!" at the top of your lungs.
Johnny Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51   #71
Psychman
NRA Life Member

I went back and read his post again. This doesn't pass the smell test for me yet. Hopefully, when he gets out of school for the day he will come back and respond.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:58   #72
Z71bill

My advise would be to go back to DU - have a good laugh about how you punked some dumb gun owners and figure out a better way to spend your time.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:21   #73
el_jewapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
I even talked to my pastor about it, and he doesn't like guns either (he said that I shouldn't feel offended, since he wouldn't even trust himself with a firearm).
I wouldn't turn my back on that one. Anyone that openly admits to not trusting themselves with a gun, I don't trust with knives or any other readily available weapons. I'd walk on egg shells around that one.
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:34   #74
oldman11

If they are the ones that gave you the choice, then they are not really your friends, they are acquaintances.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:41   #75
kahrcarrier
FAHRENHEIT

Friends like yours are migrating to every state, and I fear it is going to play havoc with firearm rights in the future.
kahrcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:45   #76
matt_lowry123

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum section. I looked at the other forum sections, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

Here is my problem: I live in Northern Virginia. Virginia is pro-gun, but many people in NoVa are from other states, and aren't comfortable around firearms (including my closest friends).

I have only been a gun owner for less than a year, and when I started buying guns, I didn't think it would be an issue.

In fact, I didn't even mention to my friends that I am a gun owner, since I feel that it is a non-issue.

Recently, I was hanging out with my friends and the issue of guns came up, and I mentioned that I'm a gun owner.

I was really surprised that my friends reacted with concern, as if finding out that I own guns is scary, or frightening.

One of my friends said that she thinks that "no one should be allowed to own guns," and my other friends seem to be frightened of the fact that I own guns. Another of my friends said that only the police should be allowed to have guns.

These are my closest friends, and I really care about them, so I am not going to stop being friends with them. They are also part of my church community, so we spend a lot of time together.

But since finding out that I own guns, one of my friends said he doesn't want to hang out with me unless I get rid of the guns. Some of my other friends haven't said that (at least not yet), but they don't want to hang out at my apartment, since there are guns there (in my gun safe).

I was planning on being room mates with one of these friends, but now I know that he is very uncomfortable around firearms, even if they are locked up.

I don't want to upset my friends, but I also feel that I should be able to own guns, since it is a constitutional right.

But my friends don't see it that way. One of my friends said that he never wants to own a gun, and that I don't need guns either.

I even talked to my pastor about it, and he doesn't like guns either (he said that I shouldn't feel offended, since he wouldn't even trust himself with a firearm).

I have tried explaining to my friends about how gun ownership is an important constitutional right, and how guns are a useful tool for self-defense, but they listen to what I'm saying, and tell me that they still disagree with me.

They are practically appalled at the idea of owning guns for self-defense.

They also seem horrified that I own "more than one gun," and they feel that owning multiple guns is especially concerning.

I have tried mentioning all the pro-gun explanations I can think of (examples of self-defense from the news, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", "guns save lives", etc).

But my friends still disagree with me, and keep telling me that I need to get rid of my guns.

I love my friends, and I don't want my gun ownership to upset them.

But at the same time, I also consider my 2nd Amendment rights to be important. I don't want to sell my guns.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

What should I do?
Are you serious?
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:46   #77
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
He might not want to come back because of all these unprovoked insults.
Yeah, I dont think this is a troll-post. Its better than 300 words which is not typical of someone just trying to poke.

I think this guy really wants to know what other gun owners think. If we are inclined to comment, we should at least give him the benefit of the doubt and be honest. I would comment further but I have already commented previously.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:47   #78
Bren
NRA Life Member

If your friends are anti-gun, that says as much about you as about your friends.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:46   #79
vikingsoftpaw

Realize at one time, two people could see a glass, one would say it is half full the other would say it's half empty.

Today, liberals and progressives take a look at the same glass. They say its half empty because the Koch Bros. stole what was theirs...and they hate you for not sharing their world view.

Take note of their beliefs, as you become immersed in the world of firearms. New views on the world come into focus. You may begin to view things in terms of rights of the individual vs. the rights of the collective. You may find yourself turning more conservative.

You really need to expand your circle of friends.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 14:40   #80
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Have you tried not taking them so seriously? While you are at it, try not "loving" your friends... that's just kinda weird and probably one of the reasons why they don't like you that much.

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote