GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2014, 00:30   #41
whoops dude

Friends do not have to agree on everything. They should respect your beliefs and desire to own firearms and you should also respect their beliefs and desire to not own firearms.

If they truly give you an ultimatum and won't let it go, find new friends because they are the controlling type of "friend".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Deuteronomy 15:11
You cannot follow Christ and not care about others.
whoops dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 00:32   #42
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Like others, not sure how honest or serious this OP is, but I won't make negative assumptions without evidence.

Welcome to the site and to firearms ownership.

On the subject of friends, every individual needs to decide for themselves to what degree they will allow their social environment to influence their actions and beliefs.

I don't agree with what some have said, that you should try to convert anyone. That would be, to my way of thinking, nearly as unfair as the way they are attempting to pressure you. If they ask, that's something else, but I see no reason to push.

I have a number of extremely liberal and anti-gun friends. Mostly, we simply don't discuss it. When we do, it's ok, because while they're as passionate on the subject as I am, we're all adults and respect each other. That said, I'm certain they would be appalled, if they ever came to realize that I not only own, but carry. (They quite reasonably assume this isn't possible, as we live in California.) There is no reason for them to know that. If we are sitting in a restaurant, having a nice meal, my sidearm bothers them not a bit. If they knew about it, though, it would bother them very much and ruin everyone's meal. So, I don't tell them. It's none of their business, anyway.

My advice is to continue being reasonable, even when others aren't. If someone needs to go away in a huff, start feeling sheepish, and come back, let them. You aren't harming them or infringing on their rights, and should not allow them to do so to you. There is nothing wrong with respectful, strongly held, disagreement between people who care about each other. It must go both ways, though.

JMO.
Old 02-07-2014, 00:34   #43
Bulldog160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeorge View Post
A 2 post troll

Agreed.
Post sounds like every anti gun situation / person rolled into one.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Bulldog160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 00:35   #44
stevemc

why not take them to the range. Its the best anti cure I know. Maybe start with a .22 though.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 00:49   #45
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Shriveled ball sacks make good target practice for a .22

Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies.
smokeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 00:55   #46
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeross View Post
Shriveled ball sacks make good target practice for a .22
See... That's the kind of response a troll would be looking for. Way to hand it to them.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:13   #47
MoCop

If your friends are so irrational that they are horrified about you owning several inanimate objects even to the extent of one practically disowning you, I'd say be patient with them and keep your guns.

Be proud of who you are and your decision to carry on the tradition of firearm ownership. Maybe one day your friends will come around. And if they don't come around and continue to judge you according to your choice in having a different lifestyle, then I guess they're not much friends to you after all. Are they?

Last edited by MoCop; 02-07-2014 at 02:13..
MoCop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:54   #48
Blast
'nuff said

Since OP has not yet responded to own thread, I too am thinking possible troll. If not... Just tell them it is better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:59   #49
frank4570
Silver Membership

I'm also in Va, your friends are ruining my state.

They're more emotional than rational. I doubt you will be able to get through to them in all honesty. We are surrounded by dangerous things, knives in every house, 2,000lb projectiles in the driveway, arson tools at the gas station. Does everybody suddenly become a mass murderer as a result of the fact that the tools are available everywhere? No. People are not all murderers waiting for a tool.

You might suggest to them that when they get into a car they are equipped to go to a school and start murdering children in the parking lot and at bus stops. If they think that a person can operate a dangerous car, but becomes different when they get a gun, well, they are choosing to think the worst of themselves and their friends and family. And they are making the decision to believe something that obviously isn't true. They are fearful of everybody without reason.

Be sure to tell them they are ignorant and uneducated about the subject, liberals hate that.

And as has been said, you probably deserve better friends. Would you ditch them because they had an affair, or a drinking problem or something? Probably not.

Last edited by frank4570; 02-07-2014 at 05:05..
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:18   #50
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Do you have poor quality friends, or do you conduct yourself in such a manner as to come across as someone not stable or mature enough to have firearms?
Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum section. I looked at the other forum sections, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

Here is my problem: I live in Northern Virginia. Virginia is pro-gun, but many people in NoVa are from other states, and aren't comfortable around firearms (including my closest friends).

I have only been a gun owner for less than a year, and when I started buying guns, I didn't think it would be an issue.

In fact, I didn't even mention to my friends that I am a gun owner, since I feel that it is a non-issue.

Recently, I was hanging out with my friends and the issue of guns came up, and I mentioned that I'm a gun owner.

I was really surprised that my friends reacted with concern, as if finding out that I own guns is scary, or frightening.

One of my friends said that she thinks that "no one should be allowed to own guns," and my other friends seem to be frightened of the fact that I own guns. Another of my friends said that only the police should be allowed to have guns.

These are my closest friends, and I really care about them, so I am not going to stop being friends with them. They are also part of my church community, so we spend a lot of time together.

But since finding out that I own guns, one of my friends said he doesn't want to hang out with me unless I get rid of the guns. Some of my other friends haven't said that (at least not yet), but they don't want to hang out at my apartment, since there are guns there (in my gun safe).

I was planning on being room mates with one of these friends, but now I know that he is very uncomfortable around firearms, even if they are locked up.

I don't want to upset my friends, but I also feel that I should be able to own guns, since it is a constitutional right.

But my friends don't see it that way. One of my friends said that he never wants to own a gun, and that I don't need guns either.

I even talked to my pastor about it, and he doesn't like guns either (he said that I shouldn't feel offended, since he wouldn't even trust himself with a firearm).

I have tried explaining to my friends about how gun ownership is an important constitutional right, and how guns are a useful tool for self-defense, but they listen to what I'm saying, and tell me that they still disagree with me.

They are practically appalled at the idea of owning guns for self-defense.

They also seem horrified that I own "more than one gun," and they feel that owning multiple guns is especially concerning.

I have tried mentioning all the pro-gun explanations I can think of (examples of self-defense from the news, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", "guns save lives", etc).

But my friends still disagree with me, and keep telling me that I need to get rid of my guns.

I love my friends, and I don't want my gun ownership to upset them.

But at the same time, I also consider my 2nd Amendment rights to be important. I don't want to sell my guns.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

What should I do?
Old 02-07-2014, 05:27   #51
paul45
old crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Hi,

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

NO, as I do not "hang out" with these type of people.

What should I do?

Make some decisions about what type of people you want to associate with and the demands they find so easy to place on you.

This would be VERY easy for me to rectify, especially since I prefer to not hang out with hand wringing, over emotional people.

So.... do they also make ultimatums on who you vote for?

I also think this might be a troll post.

Let's see if Mr. Serve and Protect comes back.

Who do you Serve and Protect?

Last edited by paul45; 02-07-2014 at 05:27..
paul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:38   #52
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
I don't think so. I think this person joined glocktalk specifically because this situation came up, and the guy found he didn't have anybody on his side to talk to.
Being that he is in northern va he has probably been shocked by how we all sound so conservative. Northern Va is full of liberals, it's a whole culture of liberalism.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:52   #53
Psychman
NRA Life Member

This OP sounds like a kid in Middle school who is gathering information to write a term paper. Note he uses every firearm related idea in the book.

Too bad Ann Landers and Abby are dead.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.

Last edited by Psychman; 02-07-2014 at 05:53..
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56   #54
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Please ask your spineless friends to move away from Virginia - as soon as possible. Also, let them know: Those of us here aren't going to give up our guns and rights. Not now. Not ever. We will do whatever is necessary to keep them. Ask them, do they really want to go there?

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:02   #55
Thomasc18
NRA Life Member

They could care less on your thoughts and beliefs, theses aren't true friends sorry to say. Ultimatums shouldn't be given. Best of luck. If it were me I'd be rethinking my whole "friend" situation. Most likely they won't come to terms.
Thomasc18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:25   #56
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul45 View Post

Let's see if Mr. Serve and Protect comes back.

Who do you Serve and Protect?
He might not want to come back because of all these unprovoked insults.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:05   #57
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

As LW suggested, offer to take them to a range. Treat them with respect and train them properly, focusing on safe handling. I've read numerous stories on GT over the years where anti's only needed that little push into exposure and understanding to change their views.

Don't sacrifice your personal beliefs to appease people who say they will dump you as a friend over your Constitutional right to protect yourself. When they make this threat, it is crystal clear that their belief on the issue is more important to them than their friendship with you, so why bend to their will? If you do, what will they make the same threat over next time? You need to seek friends in quality, not quantity.

ETA: If one of the people still refuses to accept you for exercising your rights and says "we're done", smile and say "okay".

Last edited by Santa CruZin; 02-07-2014 at 07:12..
Santa CruZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:17   #58
Haldor
Retired EE

Turn the discussion around. Bring up the intrusive hand of big brother (most libs are just as paranoid as we are about that).

I have had anti-gunners make the statement, "Nobody needs a high capacity assualt rifle."

One response to that which actually worked (as in made them reconsider their position is:

"I don't trust our government as far as I can throw them. I refuse to let the government have a monopoly on force and in order to be credible counterweight to that we need to have similar weaponry."

I then go on to say, "I would fully expect to be killed if I used my weaponry to combat a tyrannical government, but so what? Either liberty is worth risking your life or we surrender and our children become slaves."
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:26   #59
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco Kid View Post
Shoot them a little.
The guns or the friends?

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28   #60
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
The best thing you can do is to keep your principals and guns, be patient and kind, show them that you are a normal person (assuming that you are) and if they choose to dismiss you as a friend- it's their loss.

Northern Virginia and Eastern Maryland are victims of an over reaching government.
Good post.

Lead by example, it works for children and liberals (sometimes).

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote