Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:24   #281
Berto
woo woo

I'm sorry for not reading through all 12 pages, but has the OP ever returned to this thread?
Just curious.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:30   #282
Johnny Ringo

Many times...
Johnny Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:35   #283
Psychman
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I'm sorry for not reading through all 12 pages, but has the OP ever returned to this thread?
Just curious.

But still sounding like a kid in middle school.

NCOWS
Hey, I just love guns.
Psychman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:44   #284
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Many times...
And he has provided a good illustration of the most certain way to spot a troll. Notice that he always gives positive responses and never takes offense at people calling him an idiot, or whatever. A real poster gets mad at being insulted, but to a troll, it's not really him being insulted, since he's playing a fictional character. He stays positive and mild mannered to keep drawing out responses to his trolling.

Last edited by Bren; 02-11-2014 at 12:45..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:47   #285
Baba Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Just curious.
Yeap, he's been here a time or 45 actually.

I gather none of these "friend" types are the ones that'd help bury the bodies, should the need arise. A lesser quality of friend that, couldn't one opine?

Probably haven't gutted too many deer over the years I'd also opine. Nothing wrong with that. Different friends mean different things. One size does not fit all.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 13:21   #286
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
And he has provided a good illustration of the most certain way to spot a troll. Notice that he always gives positive responses and never takes offense at people calling him an idiot, or whatever. A real poster gets mad at being insulted, but to a troll, it's not really him being insulted, since he's playing a fictional character. He stays positive and mild mannered to keep drawing out responses to his trolling.
Or maybe he's just a nice, polite guy trying to make a good impression in a place where he's new. Even if one is convinced he has some ulterior motive, why repeatedly return to his thread to insult him? If he's innocent of ill intent, you're being pointlessly mean, and if you're right about him, you're giving him exactly what he wants. Either way, if you don't want to talk with him, why not just leave him alone? He hasn't said one negative thing about firearm ownership or anyone here, despite plenty of provocation. Since when is taking the high road an indication of malicious intent?
Old 02-11-2014, 13:39   #287
nam68

The next time you are sitting around the table with your friends ask them,give them an example; If each one of them were being car jacked and getting their head beat in and someone was across the street watching the scene unfold and they were carry concealed and no cops to be found would they want the observer to help them? Stop the threat and possibly keep them from being killed or serious injury. Ask them to watch on YOU TUBE real house invasion and aftermath videos.They might want to consider saving thier own lives.
nam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 13:42   #288
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Or maybe he's just a nice, polite guy trying to make a good impression in a place where he's new. Even if one is convinced he has some ulterior motive, why repeatedly return to his thread to insult him? If he's innocent of ill intent, you're being pointlessly mean, and if you're right about him, you're giving him exactly what he wants. Either way, if you don't want to talk with him, why not just leave him alone? He hasn't said one negative thing about firearm ownership or anyone here, despite plenty of provocation. Since when is taking the high road an indication of malicious intent?
Seriously? Are you new to internet forums?

He seems pretty obvious to me.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 13:49   #289
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:

So, for the sake of argument, assume you're right. What's the upside of engaging him? Wouldn't ignoring his thread altogether be a more rational response?

And, regardless of what you think of the OP, he won't be the only one to read this thread. There are more lurkers than members on GT. Don't we want to conduct ourselves in a way that makes firearms enthusiasts come off as rational and polite? There are plenty of Americans on the fence on firearm issues. I'd rather not do anything to tip someone over the wrong way. JMO.
Old 02-11-2014, 15:22   #290
frank4570
Silver Membership

Quote:
I think it proves I am also a troll.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:50   #291
HollowHead
Firm member

Quote:
Interesting. The rest of us would call this class. HH

Sent from two coffee cans connected by a string.
HollowHead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 15:58   #292
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:

As long as he's being polite and isn't denigrating gun owners, what does it matter if he's a "troll" or not?

His question obviously sparked interest and has led to more than 10 pages of debate and discussion. How is that a bad thing?

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast
tsmo1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 17:02   #293
hatidua

Last edited by hatidua; 02-11-2014 at 17:03..
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 17:08   #294
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Prefer (personally) 27 pellets @ .24 caliber, as opposed to 9-12 pellets @ .33 caliber. From across a room, not a great deal of difference, but #4 (in my experience) gives slightly less penetration, and a slightly wider spread. Next time you're at an outdoor range, drag along a couple pieces of 1/2inch plywood, shoot with one round of each from expected indoor distance, and see which pattern and penetration you like better. Outdoors against large animals, 00 or even 000, no doubt. Indoors, though, I like #4. JMO.
Thanks for the advice, RagnarDanneskjold!

I will try that test with the plywood the next time I go shooting.
serve_and_protect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 17:08   #295
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateIU10 View Post
I'm just over the river in Bethesda, I'll be your friend.
Thanks NateIU10!
Old 02-11-2014, 17:12   #296
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Nineteen View Post
Based on your OP, it is highly unlikely that you will ever be able to either convert your "friends" or at least have them understand where you are coming from. There is a term for this type of irrational person and that term is hoplophobic. Hoplophobia is basically the irrational fear of firearms without any regard to reason, fact, or scientific evidence. A person who is hoplophobic will fear, hate, and have nothing to do with weapons at all costs.

No matter how patiently you attempt to at least educate a hoplophobe, your attempt will be futile. If an anti-gun person is at least willing on their own free will to learn more about firearms and even willing to go to the range and actually fire one, then they are likely not a hoplophobe, but rather just misguided and ignorant of firearms/personal defense. Understand that most anti-gunners base their stance on whatever the mainstream media shoves in their face and whatever they see on fictional TV shows and movies. Many anti-gunners have never once fired a real gun and they can't tell the difference between a magazine and a clip, so it boggles me on how they believe they have some kind of credibility when it comes to combating crime and evil.

I live in a heavily liberal and anti-gun city (major metropolitan) of the USA. Three-quarters of my friends are anti-gun while the rest are pro-gun. None of my pro-gun friends is a member of the NRA like myself (proud life member). In the past, I have even gifted annual NRA memberships to my pro-gun friends and they never chose to renew their memberships on their own. Go figure. Of course, I would never pay to renew their memberships as I feel that if someone is truly pro-gun and pro-constitution, they would gladly renew on their own.

Anyway, among my anti-gun friends, one of them is definitely suffering from hoplophobia. I have invited this particular friend numerous times throughout our lives to go shooting with me at the range and this person never ended up going. We have debated extensively over the years on the Second Amendment and related issues, and no matter what facts, statistics, reports, or scientific evidence I have been able to throw in this person's face, this person simply won't budge. Everything that this one friend throws back at me are reactions and responses purely based on emotion, rather than facts, science, or experience, which is typical of people in the anti-gun movement. By the way, I have been able to successfully get my other anti-gun friends to go with me to the range and have them shoot multiple guns. It's just this one friend who is unwilling to at least have an open mind.

Unfortunately, I have grown more distant from this person over the years because not only is this person a major anti-gunner, but this person is also a major liberal. I know that many people out there are able to keep friends who have opposing political views, but I'm afraid to say that I'm not the type of person who gets along easily with others who don't share my positive stances on guns, the constitution, human rights, and liberty. Rather than fight them, I just distance myself over time, because I really don't want to hate anyone.

So you asked us, "What should I do?" My personal answer is... nothing much. At least not with the type of people you described in your OP. I strongly advise that you DO NOT become roommates with anyone who is hoplophobic. Nothing good or positive could come out of such a living situation. Sorry to say this, but it may be time to look for new friends who share the same interests as you. These "friends" of yours seem to think they know better than you on how to run your own life by them trying to convince you that you "need" to get rid of your guns. A "friend" who feels that I need to get rid of my guns was never a friend of mine to begin with. In my opinion, it is truly sad that your so-called friends were quick to judge you once they learned you are a lawful gun owner.

None of my anti-gun friends ever judged me based on my own gun ownership, and none of them ever said to me that I need to get rid of my guns. In my case, my anti-gun friends simply expressed their differing opinion to me, but they never expected me to share or agree with their opinion as a requirement of friendship.

Any friend who would dare say to me that they don't want to hang out with me unless I get rid of my guns is truly not my friend, and I would gladly honor their "friendship" by dumping them as a friend on the spot. On an additional note, all of my anti-gun friends have always been fine with hanging out at my home knowing full well that I am heavily armed. Even my one hoplophobic friend has hung out in my home many times throughout our lives and nothing bad has happened.
Hi Glock Nineteen,

Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-11-2014, 17:17   #297
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan View Post
I live in NVA too. I'm originally from NYS and own multiple numbers of firearms. Your "friends" are paranoid and don't seem to trust you. Do you ever go to the range and shoot? Meet fellow shooters and gun enthusiasts? Try going to the Dulles gun show sometime. Get invovlved in Glock Shooting. You need to do what makes you happy, not what your "friends" think you should do.
Hi automan,

Thanks for your reply. I do go shooting now and then, although I do not (yet) have a range membership (money is tight).

By the Dulles gun show, you mean the Nation's Gun Show, right?

Is there a Glock Shooting organization or league in NoVA?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-11-2014, 17:18   #298
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Remember this: Water seeks its own level.

Hang around them and listen to their BS long enough and you may well succumb to the genius of the "Koolaid."

One of my longest standing, best friends is on the liberal team. Ironically, however, he is a very pro-gun individual. We go to guns shows together, hunt together, shoot together, and have long, enthusiastic discussions about guns. We both suffer from the affliction in which one cannot squelch the constant reasoning as to why one needs yet another firearm. We get into heated discussions on politics, but we agree to disagree and that's okay. If he weren't a gun lover, we'd still be friends and would spend just as much time together. If he were a vocal anti-gun person, however, I'd likely not have much to do with him.

Not to be offensive, but I'm fairly certain your friends are likely the typical brown bag types who look to Television as their "Life's Little Instruction Book." I imagine they all drive Audis, Volvos or little BMWs, aspire to be connoisseurs of wine, love little dinner parties and watch the same TV shows. I'm betting most are from other states, have fine educations and look at themselves as being incredibly smart in their J. Crew turtlenecks. I could go on and on. In other words, they're the kind who are content with completely lacking individuality and are not ones to think for themselves. They are what we affectionately refer to as SHEEPLE. Don't be a sheep. It's not healthy. Don't hang around sheep, unless you're the Shepherd.
Thanks for your advice, Johnny Ringo!
Old 02-11-2014, 17:19   #299
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieD View Post
A friend does not demand you compromise your principals to retain their friendship. You may never turn them pro-gun but make clear you expect them to respect you and your stance on the issue. Continue to act like a responsible gun owner. Either you will be ostracized for it, in which case it's time to reevaluate who your friends are, or they'll come to see that the demons did not crawl out of your guns and turn you into a mass murdering psycho, and might just start to realize that guns aren't so bad. In general, don't make a big issue out of it, but continue to live a good example.
Hi VinnieD,

Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-11-2014, 17:20   #300
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Why do you want me to be rude to you?