SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:38   #201
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

Ragnar,

Great job on post #196. I think that should be required to achieve admittance to my local gun range... LOL!

Polite trolls that shave their beards, wash and cologne themselves, get jobs other than guarding bridges, achieve levels of advanced education and linguistic skills are

STILL Trolls.

Wow, 8 pages.

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin
EdTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45   #202
dixietoo

Why do you own a gun? If that reason is important to you then any of your friends who think you are creepy or frightening for that reason obviously are not a good friend who cares about you.
"Scared of guns"? Weapons should be respected because they are dangerous in anyone's hands. So is a hammer or baseball bat. So is a knife. But being frightened of someone who owns a gun, to me, is simply irrational.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45   #203
frank4570
Silver Membership

Maybe the OP should submit a photo of his republican voters registration card. And his NRA number. Serial number of the guns he owns. Photo of himself to be used for facial recognition scan. Finger prints. Picture of where he lives. SS#. Blood type. And a list of all of his friends.

Maybe he's a troll.

Or maybe glocktalk is being incredibly rude to a gun owner, and new glocktalk member. After 8 pages I would start to question why he would even want to bother with people who are so nasty to each other.
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17   #204
furioso2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athink3r View Post
The original post seems a bit contrived.

The "anti's" in his story seem overly zealous and venomous. Just me?

They may as well have made the sign of the cross with their index fingers, hissed at him and said, "you're the devil!!!!", and then hissed again.
Clearly you hsvent spent enough timein NoVA to meet and discuss individual firearm ownership and use rights with a local citizen. I find hie description,as I previously aluded to, right on, though perhaps incomplete. If it werent so surprising, alarming, and offensive to listen to their comments and responses, it would be amusing. People who I otherwise find reasonable sstart talking fast, spouting out every bs, short sighted response you might hear from piers morgan. They dint wait for responses, just try to overwhelm and then duck their heads back in the sand when its time to listen to a response. It really is sad and surprising, not tomention illogical and offensive.

OP, VCDL is a good organization to get involved with. Ive been a member since I got here and have fihnd it to be a very reasonable organization.

The other local orgs mentioned besides NRA, of course, I dont have direct experience with. I have young kids, time is in short supply.

The questions recently posted, advertised to vet your veracity, are reasonable questions and make good discussion. But a person ought not feel obligated to answer to the level of scrutiny and accusations posted abiut trolling. Post the responses in your welcome to GT post if you like.

The troll discussion is moot in this thread.

ETA apologies for spelling and punctuation, Im typing on a screen.

Last edited by furioso2112; 02-09-2014 at 11:18..
furioso2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:57   #205
jpa
CLM Number 268
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via AIM to jpa Send a message via Yahoo to jpa
Have you taken them shooting yet? Why not?
Big Dawg #1408, TT #1408
Moto Club #1408, GSSF Member, NRA RSO
NRA Benefactor Member
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:17   #206
mattallamerican

new friends unless you like them because your smarter than they are
mattallamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:33   #207
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post
Maybe the OP should submit a photo of his republican voters registration card. And his NRA number. Serial number of the guns he owns. Photo of himself to be used for facial recognition scan. Finger prints. Picture of where he lives. SS#. Blood type. And a list of all of his friends.

Maybe he's a troll.

Or maybe glocktalk is being incredibly rude to a gun owner, and new glocktalk member. After 8 pages I would start to question why he would even want to bother with people who are so nasty to each other.
You have an excellent point. Personally, I don't know what to think. Most people sign up and integrate themselves into the GT culture without such scrutiny, so there still could be something afoot. Or a bunch of us could be wrong and in the position of needing to issue a collective apology. This isn't a typical new member encounter, you'll have to admit.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40   #208
spiriteagle20

I must admit this thread has been more entertaining than the Olympics....
spiriteagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 13:14   #209
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Yes, the trolling has become more obvious.

To any real people who own guns and have anti-gun friends, Obama voting friends, communist friends, etc., guess what, you are as big a POS as your friends. That's how that works - who you hang around with reflects who you are. Your mothers should have told you that.
Glad all your friends are like minded...

Curious on the planet you are from, how many moons are there?
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 13:40   #210
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
First off, let me say, you've politely endured a lot of abuse, since you've been here, and I respect how you've handled it. I am not trying to add to that.
Hey RagnarDanneskjold,

No worries! You have been very helpful and welcoming.

Quote:
I would like, if its OK with you, to put the whole "troll" question to bed, once and for all, at least for those who actually read the whole thread. If that isn't a goal that interests you, you may disregard this post in its entirety.

I'm going to ask a few direct questions, from which you may pick and choose what you feel comfortable answering. None will be about what you presently own.

1) Name a firearm you've fired, that you liked, and what you liked about it.
Rock River Arms AR-15. I like that I can shoot an AR more easily and with better accuracy, as opposed to a .308

Quote:

2) Name a firearm that you've fired, didn't like, and what you didn't like about it.
FAL. Too much recoil and too unwieldly. (now the people who called me a troll will probably make fun of me for being weak).

Quote:

3) You've mentioned, in an earlier post, asking your "anti-" friends how they'd feel, awoken in the middle of a home invasion. If you were awoken in the middle of a home invasion, and had only one firearm available, what would it be, and why? What have you considered for this role and rejected, and why did you reject it?
Remington 870 loaded with 00 buck. I live in an apartment so a carbine or rifle would be dangerous to use in case the bullet went through a wall.

A handgun would be fine, but if I can only have one gun, a shotgun delivers a lot of devastating power at close range. With buck there is much less risk of over-penetrating.

A semi-auto shotgun would also be OK. I'm not worried about forgetting to pump the slide though, and I like 870s.

Quote:
4) What is the most fun gun you've ever shot? (At the range, no point, just fun-as-heck?)
Uzi with extended shoulder stock.

Quote:

5) What gun have you never had the opportunity to fire, that you would really love to, and why.
Probably a bullpup like the Tavor or the Steyr AUG or maybe the FN P90 (not really a bullpup, I know).

I have never fired a pullpup before, and I don't know if I would want to rely on one in an emergency scenario, since I imagine that it is more likely to malfunction (especially the P90 with the magazine on top of the gun).

But I like the idea of a full - length barrel in a compact size.

Quote:

If you manage to answer all of these, without using a phrase I can google, it should kill all "troll" accusations (from those who read the thread), without imparting any information about what you own.

I urge you to state "I don't know", where applicable, rather than making stuff up or cribbing off the Internet, as deceptions will be discovered, whereas a degree of ignorance is expected. JMO.

Feel free to disregard this post, in its entirety, if you've reached the point (I hope), where you no longer care what the GlockTalk collective thinks of you.

GodSpeed.
Hope you like my responses. Let me know what you think.
serve_and_protect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 13:43   #211
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
Agreed. And he's stayed pretty polite about it, too. Congrats on that, OP. I think in some ways you may be too worried about the feelings of others, but you're courteous, and there's not enough of that around these days.

Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't have answered this with specifics either. I might have mentioned a few I'd used and liked, but an inventory? No.

ETA: OP, in a way, this thread is great practice because you're meeting plenty of unreasonable people here, too. Just look at this as a fast way of sorting out who's good to talk to on this site and who you might best take with a grain of salt. Hope you stick around, the site is (generally) a pretty friendly place, at least in my experience.
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 13:46   #212
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa CruZin View Post
I wonder if it's possible for GT Admin to do an IP comparison check to see if our thread OP matches any registered GT users. Something just smells fishy, and while it might be DU troll, it might also be a GT member out for some laughs.
It is neither. I am not even sure what DU is, but I am not a member of any forum that has that acronym.

I am also not a GT member (well, now I am, but I mean that I have not had a previous account on GT).
Old 02-09-2014, 13:47   #213
moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Do you work for the ATF?

Just kidding, but being repeatedly called a troll is kind of tiresome.
Yeah, well, welcome to GT...

This is a place where the constitution is cited all the time but virtually everyone (including me) gets upset when others insist on their rights and we don't agree with them.

And for those that think their witty rejoinder resolves around the word troll: This is the USA, burning the flag is protected as free speech, owning and not owning guns is also protected.

...and a troll would be an anti-gunner citing the other side of this situation.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 13:48   #214
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
Have you taken them shooting yet? Why not?
I have offered numerous times. They don't want to go.
Old 02-09-2014, 13:50   #215
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4570 View Post

Maybe he's a troll.

Thanks for the support Frank!
Old 02-09-2014, 13:52   #216
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioso2112 View Post
Clearly you hsvent spent enough timein NoVA to meet and discuss individual firearm ownership and use rights with a local citizen. I find hie description,as I previously aluded to, right on, though perhaps incomplete. If it werent so surprising, alarming, and offensive to listen to their comments and responses, it would be amusing. People who I otherwise find reasonable sstart talking fast, spouting out every bs, short sighted response you might hear from piers morgan. They dint wait for responses, just try to overwhelm and then duck their heads back in the sand when its time to listen to a response. It really is sad and surprising, not tomention illogical and offensive.

OP, VCDL is a good organization to get involved with. Ive been a member since I got here and have fihnd it to be a very reasonable organization.

The other local orgs mentioned besides NRA, of course, I dont have direct experience with. I have young kids, time is in short supply.

The questions recently posted, advertised to vet your veracity, are reasonable questions and make good discussion. But a person ought not feel obligated to answer to the level of scrutiny and accusations posted abiut trolling. Post the responses in your welcome to GT post if you like.

The troll discussion is moot in this thread.

ETA apologies for spelling and punctuation, Im typing on a screen.
Thanks for the info about VCDL, furioso2112. I definitely want to join.
Old 02-09-2014, 14:40   #217
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by faceplant View Post
They have given you the choice. Give up our guns or give up their friendship. If me I'd say FU and find new friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by as400guy1 View Post
They don't seem to be respectful of your views. Some "friends".

Sent from my Interositor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRR View Post
Apparently you care more about them than they do about you. Friends?
About sums it up IMO.

Try offer them a trip to the range.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571

Last edited by Slug71; 02-09-2014 at 14:40..
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 14:45   #218
KommieforniaGlocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum section. I looked at the other forum sections, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

Here is my problem: I live in Northern Virginia. Virginia is pro-gun, but many people in NoVa are from other states, and aren't comfortable around firearms (including my closest friends).

I have only been a gun owner for less than a year, and when I started buying guns, I didn't think it would be an issue.

In fact, I didn't even mention to my friends that I am a gun owner, since I feel that it is a non-issue.

Recently, I was hanging out with my friends and the issue of guns came up, and I mentioned that I'm a gun owner.

I was really surprised that my friends reacted with concern, as if finding out that I own guns is scary, or frightening.

One of my friends said that she thinks that "no one should be allowed to own guns," and my other friends seem to be frightened of the fact that I own guns. Another of my friends said that only the police should be allowed to have guns.

These are my closest friends, and I really care about them, so I am not going to stop being friends with them. They are also part of my church community, so we spend a lot of time together.

But since finding out that I own guns, one of my friends said he doesn't want to hang out with me unless I get rid of the guns. Some of my other friends haven't said that (at least not yet), but they don't want to hang out at my apartment, since there are guns there (in my gun safe).

I was planning on being room mates with one of these friends, but now I know that he is very uncomfortable around firearms, even if they are locked up.

I don't want to upset my friends, but I also feel that I should be able to own guns, since it is a constitutional right.

But my friends don't see it that way. One of my friends said that he never wants to own a gun, and that I don't need guns either.

I even talked to my pastor about it, and he doesn't like guns either (he said that I shouldn't feel offended, since he wouldn't even trust himself with a firearm).

I have tried explaining to my friends about how gun ownership is an important constitutional right, and how guns are a useful tool for self-defense, but they listen to what I'm saying, and tell me that they still disagree with me.

They are practically appalled at the idea of owning guns for self-defense.

They also seem horrified that I own "more than one gun," and they feel that owning multiple guns is especially concerning.

I have tried mentioning all the pro-gun explanations I can think of (examples of self-defense from the news, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", "guns save lives", etc).

But my friends still disagree with me, and keep telling me that I need to get rid of my guns.

I love my friends, and I don't want my gun ownership to upset them.

But at the same time, I also consider my 2nd Amendment rights to be important. I don't want to sell my guns.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

What should I do?
Two options:

1-Get New Friends

2-Accept that there are things you will never see eye to eye on and avoid such topics and continue your relationships based on mutual interest.

-Some of my closest friends are anti-gun, but they are genuinely good people, not all people come from the same upbringing, and have the same life experiences.

So we don't talk about Religion or Politics, and all is well...

Our kids live each other and hang out all the time, we even coach youth sports together.
KommieforniaGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 14:58   #219
Baba Louie

Some friends pass the test of time... some don't. You change in some ways, I change in other ways, we stay the same in yet other ways.
It's ok to have non gun friends. Kinda weird, but Ok. Personal decisions and such.

Whew, Glad you passed the super duper double top secret probationary "Is there a Troll Amongst Us?" test s&p. I was kinda worried there a might.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13

Last edited by Baba Louie; 02-09-2014 at 14:59..
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 15:47   #220
ignantmike

I have never known a gun to jump up shoot for no reason.....why your "friends" are horrified of guns is beyond me......sounds like they are to liberal and high and mighty to me.....send them to Chicago for the weekend and see if they change there mind...........as far as i'm not your friend because you own guns!!!!!!.....tell them i'll be friends with like minded people like me......don't let the door hit ya...where the good lord split ya
rimfire club member #504
ignantmike is offline   Reply With Quote