GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2014, 20:40   #181
G36's Rule

Somewhere out there, a family of goats is crossing a bridge unmolested.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 20:41   #182
A6Gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by serve_and_protect View Post
Do you work for the ATF?

Just kidding, but being repeatedly called a troll is kind of tiresome.
So, what part of the gov't do you work for?
Old 02-08-2014, 20:42   #183
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by myglockisa23 View Post
It's time to find some new friends.... You can do that when you move to a state that is 99% gun friendly like Georgia....I spent 17 years of my life in northern Virginia... and happy that I left....
Yeah, NoVA has a lot of people from other states.

So far our gun laws are still pretty good (I wish we could have Constitutional Carry here).

Hopefully things stay that way.

At least we (Republicans) still control the House of Delegates, so for now, any gun control legislation has no chance of passing.
serve_and_protect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 20:45   #184
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx680 View Post

you a member of the VCDL?

If not you should really consider. They are like the NRA for the state of Virginia. They have fought for many of the gun rights laws we have and fought against gun control here in Va.

Study their website and see if there is any info there (stats/facts) that you can use to educate your friends.
Hey trx680,

I'm not a member of VCDL yet, but I definitely want to join them.
Old 02-08-2014, 20:48   #185
serve_and_protect

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgene View Post

I'm curious. Are they truly against gun ownership, or are they just agreeing because that is the consensus of others with their political views. i.e. is it just liberal status quo, and are they also pro every other liberal agenda. If the opposite, they are sincerely against it for likely a true reason.
Hi newgene,

I think that they are just alarmed by guns (and by people showing interest in guns) because they are from states where gun ownership is relatively rare, and guns are heavily restricted (compared to VA gun laws).

My friends aren't liberals. They are pretty conservative on some other issues like abortion and having a strong military.
Old 02-08-2014, 22:48   #186
xmanhockey7

Quote:
I even talked to my pastor about it, and he doesn't like guns either (he said that I shouldn't feel offended, since he wouldn't even trust himself with a firearm).
I have not read through all of the comments here so I'll probably repeat some things other have already said. This right here is part of the problem. He doesn't trust himself with a gun so why should he trust anyone else? It seems because he is not responsible enough then how could anyone else be? People tend to be afraid of things they don't know. If your friends realized how many people they came into contact with who not only own, but carry, they'd probably go into shock. Personally I haven't had this problem really. Most of my friends know I'm a big gun guy and I have yet to have any of them make a big deal about it. If I were in your position I would attempt to educate them about guns and try to get them to go shooting. If that doesn't work and they no longer want to hangout with you then I would just continue to own and carry and if they can't accept that then they cannot accept me and who I am. I'm going to own regardless of what they think and if they don't want to be my friend then that's fine, it's their loss.
Old 02-08-2014, 22:53   #187
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Yes, the trolling has become more obvious.

To any real people who own guns and have anti-gun friends, Obama voting friends, communist friends, etc., guess what, you are as big a POS as your friends. That's how that works - who you hang around with reflects who you are. Your mothers should have told you that.
That is very true.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 00:49   #188
Athink3r

The original post seems a bit contrived.

The "anti's" in his story seem overly zealous and venomous. Just me?

They may as well have made the sign of the cross with their index fingers, hissed at him and said, "you're the devil!!!!", and then hissed again.

Last edited by Athink3r; 02-09-2014 at 00:53..
Athink3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 00:57   #189
Syclone0538

Quote:
Do you work for the ATF?

Just kidding, but being repeatedly called a troll is kind of tiresome.
I'm sure it is. If you are not a troll, then you have received the worst welcome I've seen here that was undeserved.

Quote:
Why does he need to know specifically what guns I own?

How is that relevant to what we are discussing?

For the record, I am interested in firearms mainly for self-defense.

I don't have anything at all against hunting, but if he (and you) are trying to imply that I am a hunter type who only cares about side-by-side shotguns, that would be completely wrong.

My views on gun ownership are the same (as far as I can tell) as the views of the VCDL and GOA.
Your answer might have helped me decide if you are a troll or not.

It is not a question I would have answered either, so not answering didn't hurt your case, or help it.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:00   #190
Kevinr20

I haven't read the entire thread but I'll add this: Your friends are pansies. Get new ones.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15   #191
slabsider
CONCEAL IT !

Sometimes you got to burn a few bridges to keep the crazy bastards from following you.
You really don't have any real friends. Pry your lips from their ass and move on. We see where your real priorities are.
slabsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40   #192
vettely

Wondering if this thread will be a 2014 Epic thread.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:51   #193
WilliamDahl

Quote:
I definitely do respect their right to their views.
And there is part of the problem with society these days. Sometimes, there are people who are so deviant that it is unacceptable. I would as soon respect the right of these leftists to believe this as I would respect the right of a pedophile to believe the excrement that he believes in. As far as I'm concerned, they are both lower than whale excrement. I'm tired of this crap about us having to respect the rights of others no matter how repulsive their viewpoints might be to us. If they want to be sexual deviants (and I suspect these people the OP mentioned definitely are), let them just keep their perverted sex lives and points of view to themselves.

WilliamDahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:05   #194
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syclone0538 View Post
I'm sure it is. If you are not a troll, then you have received the worst welcome I've seen here that was undeserved.
Agreed. And he's stayed pretty polite about it, too. Congrats on that, OP. I think in some ways you may be too worried about the feelings of others, but you're courteous, and there's not enough of that around these days.

Quote:
It is not a question I would have answered either, so not answering didn't hurt your case, or help it.
Yeah, honestly, I wouldn't have answered this with specifics either. I might have mentioned a few I'd used and liked, but an inventory? No.

ETA: OP, in a way, this thread is great practice because you're meeting plenty of unreasonable people here, too. Just look at this as a fast way of sorting out who's good to talk to on this site and who you might best take with a grain of salt. Hope you stick around, the site is (generally) a pretty friendly place, at least in my experience.

Last edited by RagnarDanneskjold; 02-09-2014 at 03:08..
RagnarDanneskjold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:24   #195
WilliamDahl

Quote:
Maybe he's embarrassed about the gun that he owns? Maybe it's just a .380?

I figure if you know how many guns you own, you are either way too organized or you own way too few.

WilliamDahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:33   #196
RagnarDanneskjold
Pirate

To the OP, S&P...

First off, let me say, you've politely endured a lot of abuse, since you've been here, and I respect how you've handled it. I am not trying to add to that.

I would like, if its OK with you, to put the whole "troll" question to bed, once and for all, at least for those who actually read the whole thread. If that isn't a goal that interests you, you may disregard this post in its entirety.

I'm going to ask a few direct questions, from which you may pick and choose what you feel comfortable answering. None will be about what you presently own.

1) Name a firearm you've fired, that you liked, and what you liked about it.

2) Name a firearm that you've fired, didn't like, and what you didn't like about it.

3) You've mentioned, in an earlier post, asking your "anti-" friends how they'd feel, awoken in the middle of a home invasion. If you were awoken in the middle of a home invasion, and had only one firearm available, what would it be, and why? What have you considered for this role and rejected, and why did you reject it?

4) What is the most fun gun you've ever shot? (At the range, no point, just fun-as-heck?)

5) What gun have you never had the opportunity to fire, that you would really love to, and why.

If you manage to answer all of these, without using a phrase I can google, it should kill all "troll" accusations (from those who read the thread), without imparting any information about what you own.

I urge you to state "I don't know", where applicable, rather than making stuff up or cribbing off the Internet, as deceptions will be discovered, whereas a degree of ignorance is expected. JMO.

Feel free to disregard this post, in its entirety, if you've reached the point (I hope), where you no longer care what the GlockTalk collective thinks of you.

GodSpeed.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:34   #197
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post

I figure if you know how many guns you own, you are either way too organized or you own way too few.
This seems both humorous and wise at the same time.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:43   #198
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
This seems both humorous and wise at the same time.
I laughed too, because I really don't know how many I own.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:49   #199
Originalsin

Quote:
Hi,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum section. I looked at the other forum sections, but I couldn't think of a better place to put it.

Here is my problem: I live in Northern Virginia. Virginia is pro-gun, but many people in NoVa are from other states, and aren't comfortable around firearms (including my closest friends).

I have only been a gun owner for less than a year, and when I started buying guns, I didn't think it would be an issue.

In fact, I didn't even mention to my friends that I am a gun owner, since I feel that it is a non-issue.

Recently, I was hanging out with my friends and the issue of guns came up, and I mentioned that I'm a gun owner.

I was really surprised that my friends reacted with concern, as if finding out that I own guns is scary, or frightening.

One of my friends said that she thinks that "no one should be allowed to own guns," and my other friends seem to be frightened of the fact that I own guns. Another of my friends said that only the police should be allowed to have guns.

These are my closest friends, and I really care about them, so I am not going to stop being friends with them. They are also part of my church community, so we spend a lot of time together.

But since finding out that I own guns, one of my friends said he doesn't want to hang out with me unless I get rid of the guns. Some of my other friends haven't said that (at least not yet), but they don't want to hang out at my apartment, since there are guns there (in my gun safe).

I was planning on being room mates with one of these friends, but now I know that he is very uncomfortable around firearms, even if they are locked up.

I don't want to upset my friends, but I also feel that I should be able to own guns, since it is a constitutional right.

But my friends don't see it that way. One of my friends said that he never wants to own a gun, and that I don't need guns either.

I even talked to my pastor about it, and he doesn't like guns either (he said that I shouldn't feel offended, since he wouldn't even trust himself with a firearm).

I have tried explaining to my friends about how gun ownership is an important constitutional right, and how guns are a useful tool for self-defense, but they listen to what I'm saying, and tell me that they still disagree with me.

They are practically appalled at the idea of owning guns for self-defense.

They also seem horrified that I own "more than one gun," and they feel that owning multiple guns is especially concerning.

I have tried mentioning all the pro-gun explanations I can think of (examples of self-defense from the news, "guns don't kill people, people kill people", "guns save lives", etc).

But my friends still disagree with me, and keep telling me that I need to get rid of my guns.

I love my friends, and I don't want my gun ownership to upset them.

But at the same time, I also consider my 2nd Amendment rights to be important. I don't want to sell my guns.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

What should I do?
I have edited this post. It was made prior to reading the preceding 8 pages, and your responses. I cannot help but note that your "friends" seem to have a lot to say about gun owners. By telling us what they think in no uncertain terms, you've been able to get anti-gunner remarks onto a shooter's site. Frankly, you yourself also seem to have a fair bit to say about us, though you've couched it in terms of "Do you think it's fair to ask/suggest/whatever to X?" etc. to anti-gunners. This appears to be a consistent pattern through many of your posts. Also, I'm surprised that you would have selected that particular bit of scripture to present to your pastor.
Lo there do I see my father. Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave may live forever.

Last edited by Originalsin; 02-09-2014 at 08:49..
Originalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:45   #200
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

I wonder if it's possible for GT Admin to do an IP comparison check to see if our thread OP matches any registered GT users. Something just smells fishy, and while it might be DU troll, it might also be a GT member out for some laughs.

I stand by my original responses in this thread, but the more I read the subsequent posts, the more I think I swallowed a hook.