Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2014, 18:20   #1
MyTime

My Thanks to KKM

I called KKM and spoke to a gentleman and purchased a standard length G20 barrel. KKM has a good reputation for both improved accuracy and chamber support, both important to me, an accuracy minded hand-loader. I could not have had a better interaction with any company...the guy was a well-informed & great representative for his company. Next week the barrel should show up then I'll have to try it out. In the mean time I must say that KKM is a great place to work with.

MyTime
MyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54   #2
Beanie-Bean

I think you'll like it a lot. The brass does not bulge as much through the KKM, compared to the factory barrel. I installed the same barrel on my G20SF, and have put the factory barrel in the safe.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:30   #3
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
I think you'll like it a lot. The brass does not bulge as much through the KKM, compared to the factory barrel. I installed the same barrel on my G20SF, and have put the factory barrel in the safe.
I plan on doing the same with my G20, whenever I finally get my hands on it. I basically replaced the OEM bbl. on my G21SF with a KKM bbl. Very accurate, and handles both lead reloads and Underwood .45 Super just fine.

Regards,
AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 17:41   #4
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

I wanted to blame my (IDPA match) accuracy problems on an OEM barrel with about 30k through it. The "lock-up" with the slide/block was somewhat "loose" by feel. A friend has a KKM barrel with for the same model as mine (G34 - shown at left). The KKM seemed to have a tighter lock-up. We both shot 10 round groups in the following combinations slow-fire at about 18 yards:
1. My 34 with OEM barrel
2. His 34 with my OEM barrel
3. My 34 with his KKM
4. His 34 with KKM
In every case the (loose) OEM barrel produced smaller groups than the (tight) KKM, regardless as to which gun it was in, or who was shooting it.

In the end, convinced that the OEM was more accurate, I needed to find out MY inaccuracy problems during a match. I figured out what I was doing wrong and suddenly my gun got more accurate.

I also have a 9mm LWD conversion for a G23 with a "match" dimension chamber (at least according to LWD) . There doesn't seem to be a difference in accuracy between the OEM and the conversion.

With that being said, KKM makes a good product and the consensus is that they have good customer service. It will allow you to shoot lead bullets "worry free" (if you have concerns about such things with the OEM barrel). I think you will be happy with your purchase.
Old 02-05-2014, 21:28   #5
bac1023

Good to hear

Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 23:00   #6
sourdough44

I talked to them also back when I was ordering my KKM conversion barrel for the Glock 23. All positive with the company & barrel.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45   #7
COSteve

You were likely talking to Kevin, the owner. He's a great guy and knows what he's talking about. My son and I got a tour of his place some years back after he did some custom work for me and it was interesting.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:16   #8
SCmasterblaster

I have a ported KKM barrel for my G17.

I may put it in for CCW.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 02-06-2014 at 12:17..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:32   #9
RayB
Retired Member

I have a KKM .45 - 10 MM Conversion Barrel for my 3rd Gen G21, and it is a beautiful piece of workmanship.

After tweaking other components and arriving at the best cartridge for this rig, reliability has been 100%.

They're spendy barrels, but top-shelf stuff!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:48   #10
speicher

I have three 40-9 conversion barrels from KKM, and couldn't agree more OP...top notch people and company to deal with...they really know their product, and will take the time to talk to you about it...I never felt like I was bothering anyone.

My official rating...

Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't.
speicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 13:12   #11
1canvas

i just can't see the upgrading of barrels over the OEM barrels for accuracy when any Glock I ever handled the slide to frame fit, both side to side and especially the muzzle end when pushing down is so sloppy. it seems like the larger Glocks are really loose.
Old 02-06-2014, 16:39   #12
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Great company. Though if you plan on carrying where you might need that gun to protect your (or your family's) life, I would carry it with the stock barrel.

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 21:21   #13
S*****4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsuribe View Post
Great company. Though if you plan on carrying where you might need that gun to protect your (or your family's) life, I would carry it with the stock barrel.
Can you explain why?
S*****4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:44   #14
MyTime

Quote:
I'm interested in why you say this.

MyTime
MyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 15:27   #15
NailShooter

I bought a 6" KKM barrel for my G20 about 8-10 yrs ago. I wanted to be able to reload the brass. The brass is ejected in much better shape out of the KKM (not all bulged like from the Glock barrel). The KKM has been 100% reliable but I've noticed no improvement in accuracy. YMMV
Old 02-07-2014, 16:18   #16
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S*****4 View Post
Can you explain why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
I'm interested in why you say this.

MyTime
The reason this suggestion is usually made is that the chamber in the OEM barrel is a bit "looser" than in most aftermarket barrels. Looser chamber dimensions are usually considered to have better feeding reliability than tighter, so called "match", chamber dimensions.

My experience with a Lone Wolf .40 -> 9mm conversion barrel indicated that there is some truth to this. I had some commercially reloaded ammunition that fed with zero issues in a 17 and a 34 with OEM barrels. Ammunition from the same box wouldn't feed more than 5-6 rounds in the LWD conversion barrel before failure to go into battery. In fact, commonly accepted stoppage drills would not clear the stoppage. I had to press the muzzle end of the slide against a block to be able to move the slide to the rear and eject the oversized round.

With that being said, my reloads from a Redding competition die set did not have any problems, nor did new WWB or UMC, in the conversion barrel.

I have intentionally fired cartridges that would not come close passing a Dillion chamber check go/no-go gauge in a 17/34 - never a failure to feed. (Reloaded in old RCBS dies)

It's kinda like the WWI & WWII 1911's. They were made to have interchangeable parts (like a Glock) without any fitting, so that the armorer could maintain them in the field. These guns rattled like an irritated diamondback - but would operate in very adverse conditions; conditions where a hand fitted Wilson or Ed Brown would lock up after the first round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NailShooter View Post
I bought a 6" KKM barrel for my G20 about 8-10 yrs ago. I wanted to be able to reload the brass. The brass is ejected in much better shape out of the KKM (not all bulged like from the Glock barrel). The KKM has been 100% reliable but I've noticed no improvement in accuracy. YMMV
I've been reloading Glock fired brass in 9mm for about 7-8 years now without issues (maybe 20-30k ?). There's no-tellin' how many times the cases have been reloaded. I have very, very few split cases and well less than 1% (typically 0.5% to 0.2%) which fail to SAAMI chamber check; even the ones that fail chamber check will run in a Glock.

10mm may be a completely different story.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 02-07-2014 at 16:28..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 14:49   #17
deputy1199

I have a KKM SS .40 S&W conversion barrel for my G32 .357Sig. Drops right in with no fitting required; locks up tight and has better chamber support; shoots extremely accurate groups. After thousands of .40 reloads through it, no complaints. Unconditionally recommended.
deputy1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 14:58   #18
Clusterfrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEC-Memphis View Post
The reason this suggestion is usually made is that the chamber in the OEM barrel is a bit "looser" than in most aftermarket barrels. Looser chamber dimensions are usually considered to have better feeding reliability than tighter, so called "match", chamber dimensions.

My experience with a Lone Wolf .40 -> 9mm conversion barrel indicated that there is some truth to this. I had some commercially reloaded ammunition that fed with zero issues in a 17 and a 34 with OEM barrels. Ammunition from the same box wouldn't feed more than 5-6 rounds in the LWD conversion barrel before failure to go into battery. In fact, commonly accepted stoppage drills would not clear the stoppage. I had to press the muzzle end of the slide against a block to be able to move the slide to the rear and eject the oversized round.
This is what I have observed as well not only in Glocks, but in ARs and even precision bolt guns. The more "match" the chamber, the more sensitive it is to failures from out-of-spec or damaged rounds, grit, and water. Sometimes it's buggerall hard to clear a stuck round from those tight chambers...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:04   #19
pasky2112

10mm KKM G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
I called KKM and spoke to a gentleman and purchased a standard length G20 barrel. KKM has a good reputation for both improved accuracy and chamber support, both important to me, an accuracy minded hand-loader. I could not have had a better interaction with any company...the guy was a well-informed & great representative for his company. Next week the barrel should show up then I'll have to try it out. In the mean time I must say that KKM is a great place to work with.

MyTime
You won't regret it. It's a matter of course for me to replace OEM bbls in all my glocks with KKM's. My G20 has 2; 1 std 4.6" and another in 6". The 6" is the default but if I'm feeling like shooting the G20 instead of the 29 or 23, I have to put the stock length KKM bbl in for IDPA. Is it more accurate? Maybe. But I'm much less accurate to tell.
They just truly drop right in. Optionally, as a personal preference, I polish and prep feed ramp and at other known wear spots. I strongly suggest you lightly clean the bore prior to shot#1 in case there are shavings/foulings, FOD, protective films/grease, etc.
They shoot great, protect my cases from high pressure loads and I don't even think about reliability issues any more...I never had them. One thing I do, but don't understand why I don't see others do more, is quickly brush out the bore/chamber and spray (MPro) and wipe down outside contact points about half way through a good 7+ CoF match. But sometimes I can't if things are going fast but even to the last shot ~200 rnds. later, I wouldn't know it was dirty from fouling whatsoever. Sand...that's a diff story. I've never heard, as I recall, anyone here or there say they dislike KKM for a valid reason. Enjoy!
10-Ring #2112 10mm Loaders #2112
G20 Gen3, G29SF Gen3, G23 Gen4
Armalite M15/YHM 20" 5.56 "100m fly swatter"
pasky2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08   #20
Arnold Kuhl

My KKM stock-length bbl. on my G21SF has been superb so far. I'm gonna get one for my new Gen4 G20, too, but I have to wait till our tax refund comes in. Supposed to see our CPA tomorrow, but a LOT of snow is in the forecast. Waiting is hard, especially when you want something really bad. Right now, I'm just waiting for the weather to break so I can shoot my G20 (with stock bbl.). This is driving me COMPLETELY CRAZY!

(Glad I don't live in Atlanta).

Regards,
AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10mm, aftermarket barrel, glock 20, kkm barrels