GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:32   #1
China boy

Who has fixed front site cant on their own?

My new O-PAP has a little front site cant to the right. I have read how to tap out the pins. Drill the holes to 1/8. Rotate the site to no cant. And then put 1/8 pins back in. It sounds easy enough. Who has done this on their own? I dont have large equipment, only a hand drill, hammer and tap set. I want to try this on my own but dont want to ruin my gun. So let me know your experience with this. Thanks all!
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 18:23   #2
cciman

Try shooting it first. Break it in first and actually see if you need to do anything. It may shoot fine.

Don't fix if it ain't broke.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 21:15   #3
China boy

I agree. I want to shoot it to see whats up. It cosmetically bugs me. But I would definitely shoot it first. For now my time is occupied working in the wood.
China boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:46   #4
newgene

I do plan to buy an opap or npap, but this is likely the main reason why I won't order it online. My LGS is about $35 higher out the door due to tax, and I will gladly pay that to ensure this won't happen. From what I have read, this seems like a very common issue with these surplus rifles. For $40, I can ensure there are no issues, and I will support the local guys.

But as what was said above, it likely affects nothing but appearance for anything close enough for accuracy in iron sights on an AK.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:01   #5
Ballistic
Glock Holiday

If the cant is a very slight thing and just bugs you some people have "corrected" it by chucking the receiver up at the forward end real tight in a vice with some wooden blocks and whacking it with a rubber or dead blow mallet two or three times.

Is this the best way to correct cant? No it is not but I know this technique has worked for people in the past who didn't want to punch/drill out the pins. you can run dental floss from the rear sight notch to the front sight post to help you better visualize how straightly aligned it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I'm your huckleberry

Last edited by Ballistic; 03-01-2014 at 11:03..
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:11   #6
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Try shooting it first. Break it in first and actually see if you need to do anything. It may shoot fine.

Don't fix if it ain't broke.

And adjust the front sight also.
Old 03-01-2014, 18:08   #7
cciman

Certainly will fix the cosmetic cant, but what about risking deforming, or torquing, the receiver, or changing the solidity of the barrel that was once pressed into the receiver, or affecting the headspace? Scary to just wack it with a deadblow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic View Post
If the cant is a very slight thing and just bugs you some people have "corrected" it by chucking the receiver up at the forward end real tight in a vice with some wooden blocks and whacking it with a rubber or dead blow mallet two or three times.

Is this the best way to correct cant? No it is not but I know this technique has worked for people in the past who didn't want to punch/drill out the pins. you can run dental floss from the rear sight notch to the front sight post to help you better visualize how straightly aligned it is.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 18:58   #8
Ballistic
Glock Holiday

I didn't say it was the best method just people have done this and as far as I know without any ill effects. I think the chance of the things you listed especially changing the solidity of the barrel and changing the bolt headspacing are awfully slim, Hell these are battle weapons and are tough. Like I said it is not the preferred way to fix a slight cant as opposed to knocking out the pins and aligning it then installing new pins but it has been done. That's all I'm saying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

I'm your huckleberry

Last edited by Ballistic; 03-01-2014 at 18:59..
Ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 13:19   #9
CarlosC
I love guns!

Yes, I have fixed a few, for me and friends of mine. I did two of my own and then decided it wasn't worth it to do any more if I could still get enough drift adjustment from the sight as it was. It just wasn't worth the trouble and time.
And I did my drilling after I rotated the sight, not before. If you drill a larger hole along the same canted axis, then you're going to wind up with the same canted sight held in by a larger pin.
This may seem kind of excessive, but here's how I do it...I remove and drill the FSB separately (at the new angle), then put the naked barrel in a vise and drill at the new angle too.
Notes: You must be very careful as the new drill axis will move the pin groove closer to bore, so be sure there is enough steel left so you don't go into the bore. Do the math first because it's cheaper than installing a new barrel. When you are doing your calculations, keep in mind the factories don't have an exact measurement for the drilling location so some pins are placed much closer to the bores than others, even if it's from the same country and same factory.
If you realize the new hole will get into the bore area, you can always remove the FSB and have some guy drop a weld bead over the slot (been there, done that). It doesn't have to be pretty either as long as it adheres well to the steel. You can then finish it with a file to the barrel contour and hit it with some blue. Slide the FSB back on and drill away.
Old 03-02-2014, 16:20   #10
Inebriated

I remove the pins, hit it with a non-marring hammer, check alignment, hit it, check, hit it, check, then drill 1/8" holes and use 1/8" pins that I make out of drill stock and heat treat. Cheap, and effective. I did one just today.
Kalashnikov Klub Member #870
The 21 Club Member #19691
Inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 00:32   #11
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

The "spec" for AK rifles is that they be able to be sighted in without maxing out windage. If you can get it zeroed, I would not even bother. If you cannot, or are OCD, the redrilling method is the only way to permanently fix cant. I doubt you can do it with a hand drill (even if it had the power, keeping it straight would be risky). A press and a jig is the proper and safe way to do this job.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote