Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:41   #41
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

RABI said it well. Drugs (alcohol, narcotics, etc.), mental illness, poor choices and bad luck covered all I saw in over 30 years in healthcare.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:49   #42
ShallNotBeInfringed
NRA Business Al

Not working. People with an entitlement attitude, doing nothing but making more of themselves and signing up for more welfare.

Dump welfare, no work, no food.

sent from my rotary wall phone
ShallNotBeInfringed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:52   #43
silentpoet

One of our clients is going to be banned from the local center that helps the homeless on the third. He has also been kicked out of the local low weekly rent hotels as well. The therapist is thinking of committing him because he is not very compliant with medicine and for the most part he is choosing to be homeless. He says he wants to save up for a motorcycle rather than get an apartment.
silentpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29   #44
Z71

There are as many answers to why people are homeless as there are homeless people.

My wife goes once a month with our church and feeds and clothes homeless folks. I've gone a couple times..however I have a LOT less compassion for the homeless than my wife or fellow church members.

I will agree that many are mentally handicapped in some form or other..and probably should be receiving as much help as possible. However for many it's a chosen way of life. Also more than a few..and perhaps a majority are not all that homeless. They just prefer to partake of as much charity as possible..and or prefer to remain dropped-out of a proper social structure for whatever reason.

Homeless is the PC term for hobo...Homo sapiens have been living off the land since the beginning of time. Compassion for the needy is one thing...interfering with a chosen way of life is something completely different.
Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:04   #45
guns54
toni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
Not working. People with an entitlement attitude, doing nothing but making more of themselves and signing up for more welfare.

Dump welfare, no work, no food.

sent from my rotary wall phone
tHEY DONT HAVE TO WORK, tHEY GET EVERY THING FREE?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:21   #46
oceanwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71 View Post

Homeless is the PC term for hobo...Homo sapiens have been living off the land since the beginning of time. Compassion for the needy is one thing...interfering with a chosen way of life is something completely different.
A few years back, I worked with a guy who told people he IS a Hobo and was happy to be one.
As he told me, a "Hobo" is an old term for an traveling worker, a "Tramp" is a guy who only works when forced to, and a "Bum" is a guy who won't work at all and wants everything free.
At the time I worked with him, he had been through 37 of the 50 states, worked in Tahiti, Indonesia, Bali and all over the Pacific.
He had a fat bank account and held a credit card but his policy was to never spend more than 8 months in a single place.
Very interesting guy to talk to, had a wealth of knowledge and great stories.
And true to his word, before 8 months was up he said goodbye to everybody and went off on another adventure!

oceanwarrior
oceanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32   #47
railfancwb

People hanging on to jobs and homes at the margins can be made homeless by accidents and/or medical events.

While I was working at a TV station we did a program about a couple made homeless by such circumstances. They were poorly educated, maybe of below average intelligence, but were covering their expenses and making house payments. The man was a carpenter while the woman was a waitress.

One day they pulled off the road behind a stranded vehicle to help out...probably a flat tire. While the man was between the two cars, the back of his was hit and knocked hard into the stranded vehicle. He lost both legs and thus his ability to work and thus they lost the house.

At the time of the interview they were living in their car and the woman's job as a waitress provided their daily cash.

I don't remember whether they were receiving any government assistance, but they were certainly not living high off the hog.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 01-31-2014, 16:45   #48
AZson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Man View Post
I can speak to this issue with personal experience. I am 53 years old now, but at age 21 I was homeless for several months.

I was going to college in Southern California and did a summer intern program in New Mexico. When the summer program ended I found myself with little money and no place to stay. This was in 1981, and for those of you old enough to remember times were pretty tough. I was also pretty lucky that I owned a pickup truck with a camper shell on the back.

I drove back to Southern California to return to school. I had been told that I would have some financial support from my parents, but when I got home there was none, nor was there a place to stay.

When I arrived I had 27 cents in my pocket, a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, some honey, a sleeping bag, and a full tank of gas. I did not have a job. I did not have any substance abuse issues, no drugs, no alcohol, no mental issues. I was just out of money but wanting to continue my education.

I got a part time job very quickly, it paid poorly, but it paid quickly. I was very lucky that I was able to find any job, and I found this one in two days. I parked the truck near my place of employ and hunkered down until I got paid, it took two weeks to get the first check. I made the sandwiches last that entire time. A couple of weeks later college started and fortunately my parents had paid the fees earlier. It was a state school and the cost per semester was very low.

I never, not even once, took any form of assistance beyond the occasional friend letting me use their shower or sleep on the living room floor, and I only did this for a total of 4 nights in the entire time. I did not get food stamps. I did not get welfare. I did not get church or non-government assistance like food or clothing. I initially bathed in gas station restrooms using a wash cloth. Once school started I was able to find a restroom on campus that had a shower and I used that during the week.

Once the money started coming in I was able to get by, working part time and going to school. It took several months before I was able to save up enough to deal with the necessary deposits to get a room in a house filled with other college students.

It was touch and go for a while paying the rent for the room, but I made it.

Now at age 53 I am married and we own our home free and clear. We own our cars free and clear. We have no credit card or other debt. We have money in the bank for retirement, and for emergencies.

It was very difficult over the years to get to the position we are in now. There was considerable discipline, and plenty of times where we did without in order to save our money with the long term goal of financial independence in mind.

I mention my history because it is very simple to point to mental, or chemical issues as the only cause for homelessness. True, those are important, but they are not the only cause. Mine was purely financial. I did not have enough money, plain and simple. The college education, and that specific summer program were indispensable in allowing me to work in my chosen profession and make top wages. To this day I am able to draw on those experiences and turn them in my favor.

Do I think that there should be programs like food stamps, and welfare. Yes I do. I think those should be programs of last resort. I was lucky that I was able not to take assistance, it is something I am still proud of to this day. If I had not been lucky enough to get that part time job then I would have been forced to take assistance, and I would have.

Unless you have been homeless yourself it is very difficult to understand just what it does to your head. I came out of it a stronger person. I can easily see that it could break the will of another person.
You have to admit the only reason you could do this is you live in the United States.
Old 01-31-2014, 16:50   #49
J.ThaddeusToad
On The X

"The republicans"?
Old 01-31-2014, 16:56   #50
gigab1te

I've dealt with a lot of homeless over the years (starting back in the pre-politically correct days when they were still just called "bums"). Most are mentally ill, most are substance abusers, most are small-time criminals. A very small number (but even one or two are too many) are good people who had a horrible string of bad luck.
gigab1te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 16:56   #51
Detectorist

Lack of family/friends support network.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 01-31-2014 at 17:00..
Detectorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 20:22   #52
phonejack

I would think that a percentage of them cannot accept the responsibilities that go with being an integral part of society
phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 20:24   #53
Upgrayedd
aka hand banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
Lack of family/friends support network.
One of my good friends is homeless in Cleveland in the winter. His family/friends held out and took care of him for 40+ years. Can't call it lack of support. Mostly poor decisions. I hope he figures it out, but he won't.
Old 01-31-2014, 20:30   #54
frank4570
Feral human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dog View Post
I worked in an office that was right beside a homeless shelter. I found there were usually three types, A) mental issues, B) drug/addiction issues, and C) people that actually like the lifestyle. One older man's wife had died, and he gave everything to his kids and went to living homeless. The guy told me he loved it because he considered it absolute freedom.
Exactly my experience. I never could understand category c), but there are plenty of them around.

For too long people have said "screw NY, IL, etc" or "that'll never happen here." Yes, it will eventually. If we dont start standing up together now, it will never stop.-ilgunguygt
frank4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25   #55
pizza_pablo
USN Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.ThaddeusToad View Post
"The republicans"?
Yup. It's Bush's fault.
:banghead:

Last edited by pizza_pablo; 02-16-2014 at 12:26..
pizza_pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:33   #56
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanwarrior View Post
A few years back, I worked with a guy who told people he IS a Hobo and was happy to be one.
As he told me, a "Hobo" is an old term for an traveling worker, a "Tramp" is a guy who only works when forced to, and a "Bum" is a guy who won't work at all and wants everything free.
At the time I worked with him, he had been through 37 of the 50 states, worked in Tahiti, Indonesia, Bali and all over the Pacific.
He had a fat bank account and held a credit card but his policy was to never spend more than 8 months in a single place.
Very interesting guy to talk to, had a wealth of knowledge and great stories.
And true to his word, before 8 months was up he said goodbye to everybody and went off on another adventure!

oceanwarrior
As much as I like having a house and a steady job, that actually sounds really cool!
Rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote