Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-15-2014, 23:24   #1
eagle359

Monuments Men

My wife and I saw this movie this afternoon. We thought it was an above average film. Great cast. Without being in your face, it speaks to how brutal Germany was during WWII. If you like WWII movies I think that you would enjoy it.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03   #2
JMag

Maybe if Clooney wasn't all over it I could go check it out. I do love WWII flicks, however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:11   #3
AZ Husker

Got terrible reviews here. Overacted and seemed like the stars were trying to outplay each other. Plus the storyline about artwork and men dying was over the top.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:29   #4
eagle359

We have a guy that comes on one of the local radio stations and he gave it a bad review. I went to see it anyway. I am really glad I did. I thought it was a good flick. Storyline may have been over the top-but it was based on a true event. It clicked for me. YMMV.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:42   #5
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

It was somewhat interesting, I give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44   #6
Kapuna

I gave it 3 stars out of five...
JMHO...
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51   #7
longhaulcop

My wife and I saw it yesterday, we really enjoyed it for what it was, I really don't think it really deserved such bad ratings.
This is my shield. I bear it before me into battle, but it is not mine alone. It protects my brother on the left. It protects my city. I will never let my brother out of its shadow or my city out of its shelter. I will die with my shield before me, facing the enemy.
longhaulcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57   #8
QuietAnarchist

Ugh! Cloony and Damon. Are there two more anti American bozos' that they could choose. Won't be supporting this.
QuietAnarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:43   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

It's an OK flick. Great idea, blah execution. Maybe Clooney should have gotten a real director instead of doing it himself.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:44   #10
doktor doom

I heard one reviewer call it "The Dainty Dozen." I want to go see it , but I understand it may not be one of the better WWII movies.
This is a subject that I'm keenly interested in, so I want to see it simply to see how well it treats the material. I'm an art history buff. I was given the book that started this all up a few years ago, and it is a fascinating account of art history sleuthing, and tells a great, lesser known story of the war.

It is amazing how rapacious the Nazis were in their theft of cultural treasures, both the ones they cherished and the ones they destroyed. There is still an amazing amount of art plundered that is still unaccounted for today. The sheer appetite for plunder that they exhibited is staggering.

On a related note, if you're a wine aficionado, there is a great book called "Wine and War" that is a history of the Nazi plunder of wine from France, and the resistance to it. It was published 14 years or so ago, but has a lot of great interviews with people who are/were some of France's great vignerons. Lots of great stories, and not just for cork dorks. Again, it's a lesser known story of the war, that is a microcosm of many of its larger themes.