Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2014, 14:26   #81
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Holy floop! That sucks, dude.

I've got a related problem. Not the same. Not a design flaw, per se. Same house, no dead spot, side door right next to that garage on the porch.

House faces WEST. Bad bad bad. Snow melts on the roof and especially the garage roof. Heads down the roof, gets to the shaded (almost all of the day) roofline over the side stairs and dams up like a mo-fo.

It would be OK, and other spots on the roof aren't nearly as bad. But that corner gets 1/4 of all of the run-off from the garage, 1/2 of all run-off from the mudroom and 1/8th the runoff from the main house. It's a lot of square footage.

I've taken to using a snow rake to get a clear of a spot as big as possible for the liquid water to drain to the gutters. I still get frozen spill-over. 2 or 3 years ago, we got about 100 feet of snow. I think the icicle reached the staircase. There was a definite ice dam that year. When it melted, water dripped out of any hole in the porch ceiling. No infiltration to the house, but danged frustrating.
Wow, lucky. When our ice dam backed up three years ago, I had gone into the garage for something, and saw water coming from under our deep freeze. My first thought was the freezer went out, or got unplugged. When I looked up toward the wall socket, there was water rolling down the wall from the ceiling.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 14:28   #82
Ragin Cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Why is it that the spout for so many bathroom faucets are two inches or less from the back edge of the damned bowl? Who thought this was a good idea? You have to hold your hands against the back of the bowl to rinse them and usually end up flooding the counter around the faucet. It is a stupid design.
I cured that problem by using kitchen faucets that swivel.

How about houses, motels, etc. with the shower head at shoulder height? In my house they are well above the top my head. I am 6'2"+.

RC
Old 01-30-2014, 14:29   #83
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
You could get around that shoveling by using some "heat cable" in that cubby area.

Then again, that is going to keep the buildup at bay there, but may create another problem below.
Used these this year, seemed to help, but I still shoveled the deep stuff out...Roof melt tabs, lined them up about 1 foot apart, dead in the middle of the valley.

The Okie Corral
Old 01-30-2014, 14:31   #84
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
The spot circled in red on my home...I found out the hard way one winter, when I ended up with a waterfall inside my garage. Snow gathers in that cubbyhole, and we end up with a pretty nasty ice dam every winter. The garage peak throws a shadow on that spot by 11am, so if snow is not removed, it just builds and builds with each new snow. The last couple years, I tie a rope to my waist, climb out the bedroom window, and shovel snow out of it. Don't know what could be done to prevent it. I just hope the rope holds, and I don't end up sliding off the roof.

The Okie Corral
you could build it up a bit .

my moms house has 2 chimneys .home built in the 50ties well where the chimney meets the roof it always collects limbs and leaves and stuff stays there and molds . well i went up built a peak like this /\ and put shingles on it so now everything runs off
Old 01-30-2014, 15:04   #85
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
I've stared at that spot many times, trying to figure out a way to fix the issue. It's a weird spot, it's about 6' deep, and that section of roof is lower than the main roof.
I have a spot like that on my roof line. Snow isn't a problem down here in southeast Texas, but pine needles will collect there and hold moisture against the roof if I don't clean them out from time to time. Mine's easier to get to than yours is though. A ladder up to a relatively flat spot over the front door and I can reach the area with a broom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 15:20   #86
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
Sinks with motion sensors. They never work worth a crap. You have to continually wave one hand in front of the sensor while you rinse the other hand off then switch. We have them at work and they annoy the crap outta me.
They don't really have a motion sensor. They're just programmed to turn on and off at random intervals

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 15:54   #87
Cubdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ASH* View Post
you could build it up a bit .

my moms house has 2 chimneys .home built in the 50ties well where the chimney meets the roof it always collects limbs and leaves and stuff stays there and molds . well i went up built a peak like this /\ and put shingles on it so now everything runs off
Knowing that the cubby's presently pitched the same as the porch roof, that would be my suggestion, too - increase the pitch there to the same as the garage or main house roofs, which look to be about 45*. The snow might still build up there, but less of it would do so, and it would be MUCH more inclined to drain when it melts.

And Ash, the thing you built on your mom's roof is called a Cicket.

-Pat
Old 01-30-2014, 16:37   #88
Dr. Bill

We used to have an '85 Ford van, with the 2 doors in the rear. The lock & opening handle were on the right side door. Nothing was on the left side door. Guess which door they had the spare tire stored on.

You had to reach behind the tire, with your thumb and forefinger choked up about halfway on the key, and put it in at a right angle. Bit of a learning curve to get good at it.

My wife and I thought, "Which Detroit genius made the decision to put the spare tire directly over the door handle?"
Dr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 17:12   #89
The Maggy

glocktalk

The world. Everything but an NBA locker room is made for people under 6'1.

I was 6'1 somewhere around the 6th-7th grade. It's done nothing but reinforce a bad posture and made me avoid certain pleasures because of height constraints.

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 17:15   #90
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

Does the fact that I started to plot out a fix for the roof situation that primarily involves a blue tarp make me a bad person?

Your behavior angers God and/or the Constitution. Just sayin'.

I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by low barometric pressure, and not gay marriage.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 17:31   #91
*ASH*
MEMBER OF 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
Knowing that the cubby's presently pitched the same as the porch roof, that would be my suggestion, too - increase the pitch there to the same as the garage or main house roofs, which look to be about 45*. The snow might still build up there, but less of it would do so, and it would be MUCH more inclined to drain when it melts.

And Ash, the thing you built on your mom's roof is called a Cicket.

-Pat
cool , a Cicket . thanks for the name
Old 01-30-2014, 17:51   #92
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip View Post
Tables that have 4 legs, none of them sit flat so they rock. All tables should have three legs and the problem is solved.

I've been in restaurants where the tables rocked so bad, you were scared to sit your drink down. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a deck of cards there to shim it up.
one large stem with a round footing. if the floor isn't uneven, those things are rock solid...and a lot less chance of smacking a backwards knee joint on a table leg.
Old 01-30-2014, 17:52   #93
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanster View Post
Does the fact that I started to plot out a fix for the roof situation that primarily involves a blue tarp make me a bad person?
depends...if it's a single wide, no...it's fine.
Old 01-30-2014, 17:53   #94
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanster View Post
No, not as long as you were going to include some tar. You know, to make it a permanent fix.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 18:30   #95
snerd

Needless to say, pulling the stopper handle up is quite the chore.

Last edited by snerd; 03-19-2014 at 19:53..
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 18:47   #96
kiole

Cars with blinkers that turn off with the slightest movement of the steering wheel.
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 18:54   #97
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstormy View Post
The qwerty keyboard certainly isn't the most efficient design for a PC but I wouldn't really say it's a bad design. It works and doesn't really cause any trouble. That's all opinion though either way.

Something I just remembered to mention that really makes me mad:

Phone Number Layout:

Calculater/Keyboard Layout:

Would save so many wrongly dialed numbers if they were the same. Atleast for me.
Amazingly, I've never had an issue with that. I can go from one to the other without thinking. . . At least I think so. Went 100% Apple 2 years ago, so no more numerical keypad.

Quote:
Used these this year, seemed to help, but I still shoveled the deep stuff out...Roof melt tabs, lined them up about 1 foot apart, dead in the middle of the valley.

The Okie Corral
Hard to find, but I like those things. I just toss 2-3 up onto the roof. Helps a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiole View Post
Cars with blinkers that turn off with the slightest movement of the steering wheel.
Not an issue around here. They had to remove the questions relating to directional signals from the Mass drivers test. Lol
Old 01-30-2014, 18:56   #98
kiole

Quote:

Not an issue around here. They had to remove the questions relating to directional signals from the Mass drivers test. Lol
Living on the mass border I'm all too familiar
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 19:59   #99
Shinytop

Microwave oven doors. They are all hinged on the left. I looked all over for a right hinged microwave when we moved and could not find one.
Shinytop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 20:01   #100
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:

Hard to find, but I like those things. I just toss 2-3 up onto the roof. Helps a bit.
Menards