GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:57   #61
Cubdriver

You'll need to add a sloped section in the dead spot that pitches towards the front of the house to eliminate the area that the snow and water pool. VERY bad design - someone should have caught that when the house was being built!

-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
The spot circled in red on my home...I found out the hard way one winter, when I ended up with a waterfall inside my garage. Snow gathers in that cubbyhole, and we end up with a pretty nasty ice dam every winter. The garage peak throws a shadow on that spot by 11am, so if snow is not removed, it just builds and builds with each new snow. The last couple years, I tie a rope to my waist, climb out the bedroom window, and shovel snow out of it. Don't know what could be done to prevent it. I just hope the rope holds, and I don't end up sliding off the roof.

The Okie Corral
Old 01-30-2014, 11:02   #62
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
For that all I can think is a halogen spotlamp, and that may cause more problems than it would fix.

My neighbor did a major remodel on his house and it has a bay window that juts out, resulting in the roof extending out over it. It kind of makes one of these:
______ ______
\____/

Well, at the bottom of this he has a gutter but did not want a downspout because it would look funny. So he just has a gutter up there with no way for the water to get out!

I told him to remove the gutter and put one of those angle pieces on the roof just above the jutting-out portion that would route the water into the gutters on either side that have downspouts. But he won't listen.

I predict a lot of rot in that area in his future - or the dang gutter falling off.
Don't want to burn the house down That spot is about 6' deep, and it sucks trying to shovel snow out of it. The roof over the porch is steeper than it looks, it's slicker than grease, and I'm usually just tied off the foot of the bed. I figure one day, I'm either going express to the ground, or end up hanging half way between the roof and ground.
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:06   #63
Haldor
Retired EE

Most office chairs are designed so when you lean back the seat rocks back as well. This lifts your feet of the ground and puts pressure on the backs of your legs.

Good chairs keep the seat level when you recline the back (like a seat in a car). Really good chairs slide the bottom forward when you recline so you won't tend to slide off the seat.

I bought one of these (Steelcase Leap) for my wife to use in her home office (she works from home a couple of days a week). Absolutely the best chair I have ever sat in. You can adjust it so many ways. My wife is petite (5'0") and I am huge (6'4"), that chair fits both of us perfectly. Not cheap, but totally worth it.

The Okie Corral

http://store.steelcase.com/brochures/leap/
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07   #64
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
You'll need to add a sloped section in the dead spot that pitches towards the front of the house to eliminate the area that the snow and water pool. VERY bad design - someone should have caught that when the house was being built!

-Pat
I've stared at that spot many times, trying to figure out a way to fix the issue. It's a weird spot, it's about 6' deep, and that section of roof is lower than the main roof.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08   #65
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:

-Pat
Could the roofline just be extended down to the roof of the garage (or at least even with the front wall of the second story), closing in the area? That may be what you are referring to.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 01-30-2014 at 11:09..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:17   #66
AirCav
CLM Number 284
Out Front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagnarDanneskjold View Post
-snip-

Why does nobody in the world seem to make an affordable, practical, concealed carry holster I can wear while backpacking, then carry on a day hike after dropping backpack? It wouldn't be hard...
I guess affordable and practical are subjective but Hill People Gear makes a good one.
AirCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:28   #67
Obi-Wan Kenobi

[QUOTE=Eric;20968889]Why is it that the spout for so many bathroom faucets are two inches or less from the back edge of the damned bowl? Who thought this was a good idea? You have to hold your hands against the back of the bowl to rinse them and usually end up flooding the counter around the faucet. It is a stupid design.

I think it's to prevent people getting their head caught in the sink, and allow filling of large containers like humidifier reservoirs and bongs. If there is adequate water pressure, the water is usually aimed towards the center.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37   #68
KenInColorado

I travel a lot. Whoever designs hotel showers and puts the soap tray at elbow height in the middle of the long wall has never used a hotel shower. It's not good to start your day swearing and with your arm tingling.
KenInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39   #69
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Being left handed in a right handed world.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:53   #70
220-9er

Coffeemaker flasks that dribble coffee down the front unless poured at exactly the right speed.
220-9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03   #71
Cubdriver

Quote:
I've stared at that spot many times, trying to figure out a way to fix the issue. It's a weird spot, it's about 6' deep, and that section of roof is lower than the main roof.
My thought is to put a small, triangular section of roof there, with a pitch similar to that of the porch roof. Here is a quick sketch - hopefully this will convey what I mean. The new roof is the red part. I didn't add the porch roof, just tried to do a quick rendering of the area...

-Pat

The Okie Corral
Old 01-30-2014, 12:13   #72
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
My thought is to put a small, triangular section of roof there, with a pitch similar to that of the porch roof. Here is a quick sketch - hopefully this will convey what I mean. The new roof is the red part. I didn't add the porch roof, just tried to do a quick rendering of the area...

-Pat
The cubby and porch roof are the same pitch. Here's a pic to show how bad it get gets.

The Okie Corral

Last edited by JLB768; 01-30-2014 at 12:19..
Old 01-30-2014, 12:29   #73
Cubdriver

I have no doubt - it's a pretty deep valley! Does the porch roof pitch continue up into the cubby, or is the bottom of the cubby level where the garage roof meets the side of the house? I can't quite tell from the angle and size of the photos.
Old 01-30-2014, 13:05   #74
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
The spot circled in red on my home...I found out the hard way one winter, when I ended up with a waterfall inside my garage. Snow gathers in that cubbyhole, and we end up with a pretty nasty ice dam every winter. The garage peak throws a shadow on that spot by 11am, so if snow is not removed, it just builds and builds with each new snow. The last couple years, I tie a rope to my waist, climb out the bedroom window, and shovel snow out of it. Don't know what could be done to prevent it. I just hope the rope holds, and I don't end up sliding off the roof.

The Okie Corral
Holy floop! That sucks, dude.

I've got a related problem. Not the same. Not a design flaw, per se. Same house, no dead spot, side door right next to that garage on the porch.

House faces WEST. Bad bad bad. Snow melts on the roof and especially the garage roof. Heads down the roof, gets to the shaded (almost all of the day) roofline over the side stairs and dams up like a mo-fo.

It would be OK, and other spots on the roof aren't nearly as bad. But that corner gets 1/4 of all of the run-off from the garage, 1/2 of all run-off from the mudroom and 1/8th the runoff from the main house. It's a lot of square footage.

I've taken to using a snow rake to get a clear of a spot as big as possible for the liquid water to drain to the gutters. I still get frozen spill-over. 2 or 3 years ago, we got about 100 feet of snow. I think the icicle reached the staircase. There was a definite ice dam that year. When it melted, water dripped out of any hole in the porch ceiling. No infiltration to the house, but danged frustrating.
Old 01-30-2014, 13:07   #75
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

It could be worse. My parents' old house (before it burned down) had a sliding glass door in the back yard. The issue was the glass door faced uphill. So when ever it rained we would have a river in the middle of the den.
Old 01-30-2014, 13:10   #76
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

You could get around that shoveling by using some "heat cable" in that cubby area.

Then again, that is going to keep the buildup at bay there, but may create another problem below.

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 01-30-2014 at 13:11..
faawrenchbndr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 13:26   #77
Ffolkes

QWERTY keyboards, first used in 1873, a time of quill pens, horses and candle light and still it remains in use.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." -- John Steinbeck
Ffolkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 13:46   #78
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossytxn View Post
The angle of the backsplash of most urinals. How many of you guys have had a little overspray? Especially if you taller and are stuck using the short ADA mandated urinal...

Come to think of it, the idea of an ADA mandated sjort urinal makes no sense.
The airport in Amsterdam famously modified all of their urinals....they painted an image of a common housefly in the urinal at the ideal spot for a stream of pee to be aimed in order to minimize overspray. Human engineering right there....If you give a guy a target, he will aim at it.

They claim some ridiculous amount of money savings in cleaning.
Old 01-30-2014, 13:56   #79
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffolkes View Post
QWERTY keyboards, first used in 1873, a time of quill pens, horses and candle light and still it remains in use.
The qwerty keyboard certainly isn't the most efficient design for a PC but I wouldn't really say it's a bad design. It works and doesn't really cause any trouble. That's all opinion though either way.

Something I just remembered to mention that really makes me mad:

Phone Number Layout:

Calculater/Keyboard Layout:

Would save so many wrongly dialed numbers if they were the same. Atleast for me.
Old 01-30-2014, 14:17   #80
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

Quote:
I have no doubt - it's a pretty deep valley! Does the porch roof pitch continue up into the cubby, or is the bottom of the cubby level where the garage roof meets the side of the house? I can't quite tell from the angle and size of the photos.
Yes, the porch roof continues up into the cubby.