Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:00   #41
mossytxn

The angle of the backsplash of most urinals. How many of you guys have had a little overspray? Especially if you taller and are stuck using the short ADA mandated urinal...

Come to think of it, the idea of an ADA mandated sjort urinal makes no sense.
mossytxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14   #42
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
To me a lot of things seem badly designed, but I know that this is because I'm so far out of the normal height range that I'm a freak. (I'm 6'10" by the way).

My wife call me Chewie and often give me the line from the start of ROTJ when they are flying down to Endor. "I don't think they had wookiees in mind when they designed her."

A couple of them that I don't think have anything to do with my height though would be:

1. Front porches so small that you have to step off of them to open the screen door that swings out. You don't usually see this in too many houses, but it's really common in condos and apartments.

2. Porch lights on buildings so tall that even I need a ladder to reach them. The back porch light in our condo (that hopefully we will be leaving soon for a house) is 11 feet off of the ground. Even I need a step stool to change that one.

3. Landscaping along the side/edge of a road that makes it hard to see traffic. Just keep it with some flowers or some really really short bushes. Don't put trees or 5 foot tall bushes near the edge of the road that you can't see around.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:14   #43
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Microsoft Office. I mean, come on, M$ has had about 10 major releases of this suite and still hasn't made a product that people can use effectively and enjoy.

Windows. 'Nuff said.

Printers - "PC Load Letter"? Just print, for goodness sake. And don't install those GodAwful 2GB driver packages that kludge up my system.

Ketchup squeeze bottles where nothing happens until a flood comes out. Catsup bottles, too.

As noted, why can't someone design a good soap dish that will drain the water and hold the soap? I'd pay $5 or $10 for it.

One thing that I have banned from our house is microfiber dish cloths. The things actually repel water.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:20   #44
Jim85IROC

bath tubs & tub enclosures. Most of them curve the tub portion in at the ends, seemingly to avoid an unsightly "corner", but because of this it pulls the shower curtain away from the tub enclosure and leaves a wide open gap for water to run out and on to the floor.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:32   #45
fireguy129
NRA Member 2008

We had the new style washer dryer setup in my old house. Only thing, it was on the second floor, so the drain pan was pretty much set in place. I could flip the dryer door to the left no problem, but the washer didn't have the power latch on the left. Boned.
fireguy129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:36   #46
voyager4520
-----

Why don't coffee filters have little tabs that stick up so you can just grab one without having to pick at the edges until you finally get just one? Now that I've said it without Googling it I'll probably find out they exist, or that I just gave away a multimillion dollar idea.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:40   #47
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Bad designs we live with:

Forum ads and non-Tapatalk mobile readers.
Car door locks that make it highly likely you'll scratch your own paint.
Unidentified pull cords on ceiling fans.
Tiny ink jet printer cartridges.
Differentials that you can't remove the pinion shaft from without pulling the ring gear. (Or, as I do, notching a couple teeth.)
Cell phone batteries that last hours instead of days.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43   #48
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
Electronic emergency brakes, how the heck am I supposed to do e-brake slides into my driveway when I'm bringing my girlfriends son home from school? It's a disappointment.
Your car doesn't have the wrong e-brake, you just have the wrong car.
|
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:44   #49
SC Tiger
Some say...

The human knee. It is not designed for what we do with it.

The QWERTY keyboard isn't a very good design but was done that way to slow down typists who were binding up the original typewriters. But changing it now would be nearly impossible.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:46   #50
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
What is wrong with this picture?

The Okie Corral

Every house I have ever lived in that had washer/dryer hookups, had the washer on the right, yet my washer door is hinged on the left and the dryer is hinged on the right, so the doors open into each other and I have to lift the laundry over the doors to put it into the dryer.
I've never seen that, but I have not lived in that many different houses. My house has the washer on the left, dryer on the right. But in fairness it did not matter until front-loaders became all the rage.

< Will be going back to a top-loader when the front loader dies, if they are still available.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:50   #51
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip View Post
Tables that have 4 legs, none of them sit flat so they rock. All tables should have three legs and the problem is solved.

I've been in restaurants where the tables rocked so bad, you were scared to sit your drink down. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a deck of cards there to shim it up.
Actually that type of table would be very unstable if you put weight on it outside the footprint (which you would have to if you maintain a four-sided table). I (actually my wife) have a 3-legged "decorative" table and the plant on it falls off about once a week.

Quote:

Last edited by SC Tiger; 01-30-2014 at 10:18..
Old 01-30-2014, 08:54   #52
el_jewapo

Flat head screwdrivers.

ETA: Actually, the drivers aren't so bad, they're useful for a plethora of random tasks around the house. But when you have to use one in a flat head screw, well, that just pisses me off.

Last edited by el_jewapo; 01-30-2014 at 08:55..
el_jewapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:05   #53
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

flathead screws are a throwback to an era when fasteners weren't mass produced. When did the Phillips (itself not a great design, but better than flat) get invented? 20's? 30's?
Old 01-30-2014, 09:06   #54
HerrGlock
CLM Number 2
Scouts Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_jewapo View Post
Flat head screwdrivers.

ETA: Actually, the drivers aren't so bad, they're useful for a plethora of random tasks around the house. But when you have to use one in a flat head screw, well, that just pisses me off.
When your kid puts the power drill with a #2 phillips head to a screw for an hour then tells you it's stripped, taking a dremel and a flat head screw driver is the best way I've found to unscrew it (pun fully intended)

Other than that, I agree completely.
HerrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:13   #55
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
When your kid puts the power drill with a #2 phillips head to a screw for an hour then tells you it's stripped, taking a dremel and a flat head screw driver is the best way I've found to unscrew it (pun fully intended)

Other than that, I agree completely.
Craftsman has a neat tool to fix that - you drill out the head and use the other end to reverse it out.

My set has seen some use.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2014, 10:03   #56
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Stop buying appliances from HD and Lowe's. Go to a real appliance store. They will get it right at the store, deliver it, set it up, show you how it works and make sure it is 100% before leaving.

I've got a 12 yr old Maytag Neptune I need to replace. I'm actually looking forward to it. LOL
I bought them at Best Buy and they were delivered and their guys did try to set them up. Unfortunately, they were both complete dumbasses. Their idea of trying to tell me how they worked was puzzling over the same owner's manual that I could read myself, without being subjected to the smell of the two of them.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:27   #57
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Stoplights with a red turn arrow. How about I just turn when it's clear just like every other stoplight?

686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:41   #58
JLB768
Silver Membership
Old & Grumpy

The spot circled in red on my home...I found out the hard way one winter, when I ended up with a waterfall inside my garage. Snow gathers in that cubbyhole, and we end up with a pretty nasty ice dam every winter. The garage peak throws a shadow on that spot by 11am, so if snow is not removed, it just builds and builds with each new snow. The last couple years, I tie a rope to my waist, climb out the bedroom window, and shovel snow out of it. Don't know what could be done to prevent it. I just hope the rope holds, and I don't end up sliding off the roof.

The Okie Corral
Black Rifle Club Member #768
JLB768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:52   #59
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB768 View Post
The spot circled in red on my home...I found out the hard way one winter, when I ended up with a waterfall inside my garage. Snow gathers in that cubbyhole, and we end up with a pretty nasty ice dam every winter. The garage peak throws a shadow on that spot by 11am, so if snow is not removed, it just builds and builds with each new snow. The last couple years, I tie a rope to my waist, climb out the bedroom window, and shovel snow out of it. Don't know what could be done to prevent it. I just hope the rope holds, and I don't end up sliding off the roof.

The Okie Corral
For that all I can think is a halogen spotlamp, and that may cause more problems than it would fix.

My neighbor did a major remodel on his house and it has a bay window that juts out, resulting in the roof extending out over it. It kind of makes one of these:
______ ______
\____/

Well, at the bottom of this he has a gutter but did not want a downspout because it would look funny. So he just has a gutter up there with no way for the water to get out!

I told him to remove the gutter and put one of those angle pieces on the roof just above the jutting-out portion that would route the water into the gutters on either side that have downspouts. But he won't listen.

I predict a lot of rot in that area in his future - or the dang gutter falling off.

Quote:

Last edited by SC Tiger; 01-30-2014 at 10:53..
Old 01-30-2014, 10:53   #60
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

Round toilet bowls.

There is a biomechanical problem with this design for some people. Your schvance either rests against the inside of the bowl, which is vile, or you have to lay it across the seat to avoid that. When you wipe it is a two handed job keeping it from contacting the inside of the bowl.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote