Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:15   #141
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
I know what the statement was. I was making a joke about Miley's tongue being long enough to reach HER OWN elbow.

NOW I get it!

That was pretty funny!

Marcus Aurelius
Marcus Unrealious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:21   #142
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallNotBeInfringed View Post
Female Alligators left in isolation for years, will sometimes spontaneously give birth with no male involved.

sent from my rotary wall phone

I have a co-worker that apparently can do the same.....

Great knowledge! Thanks!

Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28   #143
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Dr. Ruth was trained by the Israeli military as a sniper.

In WWII there was a woman-only soviet bomber regiment. They were nicknamed the "Night Witches" by the Germans. The flew old, noisy aircraft, so they would kill the engines and glide through their bombing runs, and the bombs would explode before the enemy knew they were even there.

Long ago, Clans that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people would burn their houses down -- and the victims had been "fired."

Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17   #144
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious View Post
What it does mean is that the most common application, and first documented uses were military related. Thus, the most probable origin was military related. I could be wrong on this one, and you could be right. Any reference you can provide me would be great, as I am always open to expanding my knowledge. It would be impossible that I am so smart that I could never be wrong, which I would like to correct if I can!

My referance piece is: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/t...ine-yards.html

Well, I did leave you a reference in post # 74. Maybe go back and read your thread. Snopes also has a few words to say on the subject here.

http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/nineyards.asp

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:54   #145
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
Well, I did leave you a reference in post # 74. Maybe go back and read your thread. Snopes also has a few words to say on the subject here.

http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/nineyards.asp

WP
No question this can go either way. But the documented uses seem to stem from post WWII, which is where it was documented in print. Again, that's not to say it couldn't be an alternate origin. But it would seem suspect that after its emergence from a major world war, its initial documented use by in the military and then fanning out to other industry / uses was driven by an alternate use.

Setting that aside, I will accept your reference supporting your stand as the basis for your notes. I respect your right to have them and I will actually do some more research in this one. None the less, I still believe the war origins to be correct. But being of such a high-importance matter, I submit that GT should hold a formal inquest as to the origin of the phrase, and determine the truth as found by the GT members at large by formal vote!

Onto other important stuff....

1 million seconds = 13.5 days

When Oprah famously gave away cars on her show, she cost the recipients up to $7,000 because she structured them as a prize instead of a gift (the latter is not taxed). Many had to forfeit their prize or sell it if they could not afford their “free car”.

Bruce Lee was often so fast that they actually had to SLOW a film down so you could see his moves since they filmed at speeds under 30FPS.

Marcus Aurelius

Last edited by Marcus Unrealious; 01-31-2014 at 07:58..
Old 01-31-2014, 07:59   #146
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
I know what the statement was. I was making a joke about Miley's tongue being long enough to reach HER OWN elbow.
I was making a joke about the fact that Miley seems to lick everything in range (hammers, wrecking balls, probably everything within a 5 mile radius).

No offense meant - I thought the joke had come across.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 01-31-2014 at 09:09..
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26   #147
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Unrealious View Post
No question this can go either way. But the documented uses seem to stem from post WWII, which is where it was documented in print.

From the post 74 ref:

The dating clearly refutes the popular ammunition-belt and concrete-mixer theories, Mr. Shapiro said, while the Kentucky focus suggests a probable “backwoods provenance.” As for the meaning of the phrase, he added, the slippage from six yards to nine — part of the same “numerical phrase inflation,” as he puts it, that turned “Cloud 7” to “Cloud 9” — suggests it doesn’t refer to anything in particular any more than, say, “the whole shebang” does.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:21   #148
airmotive
Tin Kicker

If you interview for a job at the CIA, but end up getting passed over, you're informed of your rejection when a plain white envelope with no return address shows up in your mailbox.

Inside will be a plain white sheet of paper from "Recruitment", with no mention of who the letter is actually from.

The letter says only, "Your application is no longer under active consideration."

If you're asked to come in for an interview, it will be for a company called "Yoder & Young".

Strange.

Last edited by airmotive; 01-31-2014 at 09:31..
airmotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29   #149
walt cowan

place iron (object) under the threshold of a door and evil can not pass through it. place a broom across a door way and a witch will not be able to pick it up or pass through. blue jays go to hell on friday and don't come back till monday morning. if a woman can make a man eat a whole pecan pie in one sitting, he will fall in love with her.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:09   #150
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

JP Morgan did not own the White Star Line (who built the Titanic, Britannic, Majestic, Olympic and other ships).

Random one for the day I once used on a coworker, causing mass explusion of various soft drinks on to keyboards through noses....

There is no I in team. But there are 3 U's in shut the &()& up!
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:38   #151
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Hiroo Onoda, an Imperial Japanese Army intelligence officer fought in World War II. He didn't not surrender in 1945, instead staying in the war until 1974 when his former commander traveled from Japan to personally issue orders relieving him from duty.

A man spent 17 years building a Lamborghini from scratch in his basement and then smashed a hole in his house to get it out.

An electric bell has been running off the same battery for 170 years and no one knows what the battery is made of.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-31-2014, 13:13   #152
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

There is a mental disorder called Cotard’s Syndrome (also known as the Cotard Delusion,the Nihilistic Delusion, and the Walking Corpse Syndrome). It causes sufferers to believe that they are dead and do not exist.

Before WWII the NY phone book had 22 Hitlers. The NY phone book had 0 Hitlers after WWII. Many of the Hilter family members continue to reside in the US today.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-31-2014, 14:43   #153
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

Divide your weight by 3: that's about how much your legs weigh. Each leg accounts for between 15 to 22% of your total weight.

Diamonds mined in Brazil are harder than ones found in Africa.

The Roman quarries that extracted travertine for the Colosseum are still being mined today.

Marcus Aurelius
Old 01-31-2014, 14:48   #154
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Hitler's half brother ran a bar in Berlin. Unsurprisingly this was a popular bar from 1933-1945, much less so afterwards.....
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 14:49   #155
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Yeah, I hate to bust you out on this, but you've got quite a few in here that are just totally wrong.

Quote:
A single glass window has one molecule. A triple pane window would have three.
Not even close to true. I honestly don't even know how to go about explaining why, but the number of molecules in a pane of glass is based on the weight and type of glass, but in all cases is certainly more than one.

Quote:
Glass is not a solid, it is a liquid. Over a hundred years, building Windows will be thicker at the bottoms, because the glass runs down.
Also not true. There is an incorrect belief that glass can be described as a supercooled liquid, but based on current understanding of thermodynamics, that's not a correct distinction either.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...ass/glass.html

Quote:
The inventor of the camera used on the moon landings, hasselblad, says they have no idea how NASA took some of the photographs they took. They stop short of offering any suggestions, but act rather puzzled.
Yeah, not so much. Hasselblad specifically modified the cameras used in the moon landings.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/lunar/missio...1/photography/

Quote:
Sneezing or coughing will not infect or inoculate others readily if the infected person deep breaths saline mist into their nose and mouth. Transmission is reduced dramatically for several hours, and can be repeated.
Not quite.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/709224

Quote:
The United States patient office once closed for an extended period of time around the turn of the century. Reason being? They said nothing significant could be invented, we had everything already.
No, they didn't. Not even close.

http://inventors.about.com/library/l..._appendix5.htm
Old 01-31-2014, 14:56   #156
SC Tiger
Some say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlisteringSilence View Post
Not even close to true. I honestly don't even know how to go about explaining why, but the number of molecules in a pane of glass is based on the weight and type of glass, but in all cases is certainly more than one.
I have heard this one as well - high school science I think. Never made any sense to me though.

Guess I was right to be skeptical.

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 15:02   #157
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Lobsters are apparently immortal. They don't show any signs of aging, and as best we can tell, only die from external causes.

Sunflowers are the symbol of nuclear disarmament because they are used to clean up radioactive waste. They absorb radioactive metal contaminants like fallout, and store them in their stems and leaves.

It is illegal to run out of fuel on the autobahn.

The founder of Scientology, Ron Hubbard, once fought a naval battle with two non-existent Japanese submarines, and was removed from command after shelling Mexico by mistake.

The guys that originally surveyed Mt. Everest added 2 feet to it's height because they didn't think anyone would believe them when they published it's height as 29,000 feet.

Until WWI, German was the second most widely spoken language in the United States.
Old 01-31-2014, 15:41   #158
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

This is like Ripley's - they ain't necessarily so...
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 16:07   #159
BlisteringSilence
Secret Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
This is like Ripley's - they ain't necessarily so...
Actually, the researcher responsible for most of Ripley's Believe it or not was a true eccentric, and was never found to be wrong:

Quote:
[I]t was the researcher and linguist Norbert Pearlroth who from 1923 to 1975 spent most of his days at the New York City Public Library discovering the facts and anecdotes that would make Ripley’s column a continuing phenomenon.

Pearlroth discovered “at least 62,192 amazing facts and anecdotes,” wrote Time. “One skeptical reader wrote 27,167 double-checking letters to sources and never found an unsubstantiated item.”
http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/...ork-Globe.html
Old 01-31-2014, 16:36   #160
Marcus Unrealious
Great Sage

The Miss America Contest launched in Atlantic City in 1921. They intended to extend the tourist season beyond labor day with it.

David Tennant used a pianist’s skull in his performance of Hamlet, fulfilling his dying wish.

North-south interstates are numbered sequentially starting from the west with odd numbers, and east-west interstates are numbered sequentially starting from the south with even numbers.

Marcus Aurelius

Tags
obscure