Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2014, 20:58   #1
johnstein11

Browning vs Winchester Gunsafe?

For my purposes, i was looking at these gun safe options.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/winc...afe/pid-384751

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/brow...afe/pid-549603

Is the browning better? Better warranty? What say you my friends?
johnstein11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 21:10   #2
Eric
Big Giant Head

I've got a Winchester safe just like the one you linked to, but a different color. It has been a great safe and I have no complaints with it.

I've always thought that the Browning safes had a better fit and finish than the Winchesters. I don't know if they are any more secure or any better fire protection, but they look nicer. You pay a bit more for them though.

I think either safe would work well for you. There is only a couple hundred difference. Pick the one that best suits your taste.
Old 08-23-2014, 21:13   #3
Eric
Big Giant Head

Did you see the Cannon 30-gun safe? http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...=CRT:201480346 . It's a $100 more than the browning, but it will hold five more guns. I also like the combo digital and combination lock on it.

I like the 110-volt, USB and RJ-45 connection pass-through panel on the safe. It would be nice to be able to have a network storage drive operating inside the safe, as a physically secure place to backup data on your home network.
Old 08-23-2014, 21:22   #4
johnstein11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I've got a Winchester safe just like the one you linked to, but a different color. It has been a great safe and I have no complaints with it.

I've always thought that the Browning safes had a better fit and finish than the Winchesters. I don't know if they are any more secure or any better fire protection, but they look nicer. You pay a bit more for them though.

I think either safe would work well for you. There is only a couple hundred difference. Pick the one that best suits your taste.
Thanks Eric, i like how they both look, but the browning has a manual lock. The electronic lock on the winchester seems a bit cheap. Oddly enough the winchester as a better fire rating though and is cheaper 799 vs 999 like you said. Only issue is the browning measured in at 23" thick. My door jam is only 24". Damn i should have measured the dial thickness while i was there. I may not be able to fit the browning through the door...
Old 08-23-2014, 21:26   #5
johnstein11

Quote:
Did you see the Cannon 30-gun safe? http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...=CRT:201480346 . It's a $100 more than the browning, but it will hold five more guns. I also like the combo digital and combination lock on it.
Ha! That is the one I originally wanted. I have heard great things about the cannon patriot series, but my academy doesnt have it. I would do an in store delivery, but I'm only borrowing my friends truck for the next couple of days.
Old 08-23-2014, 21:31   #6
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstein11 View Post
Ha! That is the one I originally wanted. I have heard great things about the cannon patriot series, but my academy doesnt have it. I would do an in store delivery, but I'm only borrowing my friends truck for the next couple of days.
That's too bad. I was just reading more on the Cannon safe and I like it. As I mentioned above, I like the power and network pass-through wiring installed in it. That is a good looking safe. Maybe Academy delivers, or maybe there is an inexpensive third-party delivery option?

Anyway, I'm sure any of the safes would work well for you. For what it's worth, I have had my Winchester safe for nine years now and the electronic lock system has never given me a bit of trouble.
Old 08-23-2014, 21:33   #7
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstein11 View Post
Thanks Eric, i like how they both look, but the browning has a manual lock. The electronic lock on the winchester seems a bit cheap. Oddly enough the winchester as a better fire rating though and is cheaper 799 vs 999 like you said. Only issue is the browning measured in at 23" thick. My door jam is only 24". Damn i should have measured the dial thickness while i was there. I may not be able to fit the browning through the door...
I wouldn't worry about clearance. When the safe's door is unlocked and open, the door should simply lift off its hinges. Mine does.
Old 08-23-2014, 21:33   #8
Totn27

Back when I bought mine I was considering both Browning and Winchester.

I cant remember what I liked the best about it but I went with Browning.

I'm sure you wont go wrong with either.

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do.
John 8:44

Last edited by Totn27; 08-23-2014 at 21:36..
Totn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 21:46   #9
Eric
Big Giant Head

Ha! After looking at the safes on the Academy site, I looked over and saw a gun safe ad for Tractor Supply Co here on GT.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/safes

They have a 48-gun Cannon safe for $999. They have a Winchester safe the same or similar to the one at Academy, for $100 less. They also have several other choices, including other Cannon models. You should check it out, before making a decision.
Old 08-23-2014, 22:31   #10
glockrex

Quote:
Ha! After looking at the safes on the Academy site, I looked over and saw a gun safe ad for Tractor Supply Co here on GT.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/safes

They have a 48-gun Cannon safe for $999. They have a Winchester safe the same or similar to the one at Academy, for $100 less. They also have several other choices, including other Cannon models. You should check it out, before making a decision.
Tagged looking for a safe too. Thanks, there is a tractor supply co relatively near me. Oddly enough home depot says they have these safes, im going to call and see what the deal is. Your right the other cool thing about the cannon is that it has an outlet available. That would be really nice to run a golden rod and a decent light on the inside of the safe. If prices are close though, liberty or fort knox safes are an excellent option.

Last edited by glockrex; 08-23-2014 at 22:47..
glockrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 22:42   #11
F106 Fan

Even if you have to remove the lock, that's not a big deal. Especially for electronic locks. Working by myself, I'm not sure I would try to remove and reinstall the door on any gun safe.

Richard
Old 08-23-2014, 22:43   #12
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockrex View Post
Sweet! Thanks, there is a tractor supply co relatively near me. Oddly enough home depot says they have these safes, im going to call and see what the deal is. Your right the other cool thing about the cannon is that it has an outlet available. That would be really nice to run a golden rod and a decent light on the inside of the safe.
Yeah, I like the idea of having the outlets inside the safe, while presumably maintaining the fireproof integrity of the safe. I've thought about doing a mod like this on my safe, but I'm not sure what would be necessary to make such a pass-through fireproof.
Old 08-23-2014, 22:46   #13
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
Even if you have to remove the lock, that's not a big deal. Especially for electronic locks. Working by myself, I'm not sure I would try to remove and reinstall the door on any gun safe.

Richard
On my Winchester safe, the only thing holding the door on when the door is open is gravity. The door simply lifts off the hinge pins. Obviously, it is heavy so it would be easier and safer to do it with two sets of hands, but it couldn't be simpler.

For what its worth, I have removed and reattached my Winchester safe door by myself a couple of times. It was heavy, but not hugely difficult. I used some pieces of 2x4"s to crib it up as I pried it higher.
Old 08-23-2014, 22:47   #14
Totn27

IMO. The Cannons are not built as well as Liberty or Browning.

When comparing said model Liberty/Browning to said model Cannon and they are the same size the Cannons weigh a lot less, to me this is a red flag. And if I remember correctly they have less locking bolts as well.

To give Cannon their due, yes, you do get a bigger safe for the money but my above mention is why I would not buy one.

Last edited by Totn27; 08-23-2014 at 23:04..
Old 08-23-2014, 23:13   #15
Rinspeed
JAFO

The next safe I buy will have both mech. and electronic lock. Sadly you have to spend some pretty good money to get a decent safe. Not that a $1000-2000 safe won't keep a percentage of thieves out but it all a matter of time. I hope I never have to, or any of you either for that matter, face coming home to an empty safe.

You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…
Rinspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 23:23   #16
Totn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
The next safe I buy will have both mech. and electronic lock. Sadly you have to spend some pretty good money to get a decent safe. Not that a $1000-2000 safe won't keep a percentage of thieves out but it all a matter of time. I hope I never have to, or any of you either for that matter, face coming home to an empty safe.
This is where an alarm comes in, at-least when the alarm goes off the company calls the cops and someone is on the way giving the burglars less time to get in it in which they would have to know it is there and have the right tools to begin with.

An alarm along with the safe being bolted down will give the burglars less time.

Old 08-23-2014, 23:34   #17
Eric
Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totn27 View Post
This is where an alarm comes in, at-least when the alarm goes off the company calls the cops and someone is on the way giving the burglars less time to get in it in which they would have to know it is there and have the right tools to begin with.

An alarm along with the safe being bolted down will give the burglars less time.
There are other things that could be done to distract and harass the burglar trying to gain entry into the safe as well. One of the option outputs on the alarm system's control board could be used as switching power to operate relays, driving things like incredibly loud, high-pitched alarm emitters and powerful strobe lights, in the area the safe is mounted. It isn't hard to set such things up.
Old 08-23-2014, 23:45   #18
Gregg702
Gold Membership

I went with a browning for the rifle rack mount on the door.

Rimfire Club Member #702

Black Rifle Club Member #702
Gregg702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 23:48   #19
Totn27

Quote:
There are other things that could be done to distract and harass the burglar trying to gain entry into the safe as well. One of the option outputs on the alarm system's control board could be used as switching power to operate relays, driving things like incredibly loud, high-pitched alarm emitters and powerful strobe lights, in the area the safe is mounted. It isn't hard to set such things up.
Yep, all of these are great.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:00   #20
Sfaql

Safes are one thing where you really get what you pay for . I worked for a safe company for ten years.most all safes bought at a box store are good for keeping out kids and the local non committed badguy.
As for ratings for fire you want a U.L. Label and there are many levels of them,a company fire rating means little,for security look for RSC ratings and up class B,c,f.

You safe needs to be bolted down and in a corner to limit access with pry bars.

Limit who knows you have a safe ,it makes you a target,and a simple YouTube search of your make and model will make it easy to get into most box store safes.

The shady helper of that workman you hired sees your safe you tubes it comes back with tools and knowledge to pop it.

Last edited by Sfaql; 08-24-2014 at 11:05..
Sfaql is offline   Reply With Quote