Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:04   #1
attrapereves

New car problems

My wife's car is only about a year old, yet is having a problem with door locks. Sometimes the key fob remotes will not function at all. You have to unlock the door with the physical key, which sets off the alarm. To lock, you have to use the button inside the car, then lock the drivers door with the key. The dealer has replaced a part, which made occurrences less, but it's still happening.

What's the worst problem you've had with a new car?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:13   #2
G30SF/F-250
Platinum Membership
GTDS

I had to keep putting fuel in it.

He said been busy keeping the kids and wife happy, did you miss that? Probably time for you to turn off pretty woman and wipe the ********* tears from your eyes, you might be able to read better ahole.
By AJ
G30SF/F-250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25   #3
RenoF250

Wasn't really new but at 50k my Sonata had a temp sensor good bad in the transmission and ended up being at the dealer for something like 12 days while they waited for a gasket.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25   #4
AA_Khost

Bought my 2nd wife a new VW Rabbit. She made it about 3 miles and it threw a rod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
AA_Khost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26   #5
paynter2
It ain't over

I had the front end 4WD go out of a Dodge pickup - still under warranty. I was about 150 miles from where I lived. The dealer, where it was towed, told me it would take 6 weeks to get the parts. My options were a motel or buy a used car from the guy. He showed me a car and said he'd maybe buy it back when I came to get the truck - for 1/2 the money he sold it to me for. Luckily it was a junker car - at the time I think I gave him a couple hundred bucks for it.

Two months later my truck was fixed. Back then the warranty period was 12 months / 12000 miles. I ate up a good portion of my warranty period waiting on them to fix that truck.

I liked Mopar muscle when I was younger. But I haven't driven anything from Chrysler since that episode.

Last edited by paynter2; 07-27-2014 at 10:26..
paynter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:36   #6
forresme

Key fob needs new batteries?
forresme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:43   #7
Resqu2

New Chevy with off road package and the fender flares would cut into the tires with a minor bump. Couldn't fix it after several tries, had great video of it doing it. On the day before the arbitration hearing they called and bought it back under the lemon law.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26   #8
Chowser

dang car requires premium unleaded.
:(
Chowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:30   #9
kiole

I had an 04' wrx that the paint literally was falling off. It was incredibly soft paint and there were some many issues involving the paint. Clear coat cracks on the roof, paint chips down to the primer with a few quarter size pieces of paint that didn't adhere the primer.
kiole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:40   #10
czsmithGT

Dodge- transmission leaked a puddle on my garage floor the day after I bought it, less than 10 miles on the odometer. Dealer said only fix was to replace the transmission, so 2 weeks in his shop waiting for a new one. Got said Dodge back home and next day new puddle of ATF. Back to the dealer for another transmission. One month, total of 25 miles on the car, third transmission. It was in the shop several more times in the year I had it- this was before the "lemon laws". Last Dodge I ever owned.
czsmithGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59   #11
vart

3 months after buying a brand new Chrysler Town & Country minivan, was driving cross-country through Oklahoma when the AC compressor grenade. Was moving to Arizona...

Dealer in AZ said it would be 6 weeks before they got a new one. After it finally arrived, my wife picked up the van, turned on the AC, and it blew a tiny piece of metal shaving into her eye...

That van went through 2 alternators and a CV joint in 30k miles. That was my last Dodge/Chrysler product...

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

"Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk"
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 13:35   #12
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresme View Post
Key fob needs new batteries?
Nope. Both remotes do not work. Usually getting in the car and turning the key to accessory, then removing the key will make the remotes work, but sometimes not.

The dealer replaced a part, which has helped, but it still occurs from time to time. I'm going to take it in again.

On another note, I'm a bit worried about the reliability of the car. If things like this are already occurring, I doubt the car will be super reliable in the long run.

Last edited by attrapereves; 07-27-2014 at 13:37..
attrapereves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 13:42   #13
method

What kind of car? What part did they replace?
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 14:06   #14
Micad

Did you add remote start? Or does the car have remote starting?
I had remote start added to my Toyota Tundra. After a week of normal operation, I was programming some different features in to it, and it started doing some weird things like that. The key fob would not unlock the doors, and the alarm would go off some times when I started it, sometimes everything would work normally. I took it back to the guy and he said he fixed it. It worked for about a week and did it again. I finally figured out that if I lock the doors with the button on the door, it will set the alarm off and the doors will not work with the key fob. If I use the key fob to lock the doors, it will work normally. The manufacturer said to send the controller back and he would try and re-program or send me a new one. It is not worth trying to remove it so I just got in the habit of using the key fob to lock the doors when I get out, and everything works fine.
Lone Star Glockers #8675309
"Ban children, its for the guns"
Micad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 14:16   #15
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Part of reason I like to buy slightly used. You can feel better that you saved thousands and minor issues don't hurt as "much" as if you bought new and have lemon.

IMO you have to keep going after dealer. Hard and fast. Keep records of time, issue, how it messed up your day. If it is not fixed soon request a new car with at least same options. You paid the full price for new you should get new. (working)
larry_minn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 14:30   #16
audiomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA_Khost View Post
Bought my 2nd wife a new VW Rabbit. She made it about 3 miles and it threw a rod.

I mean, I know VW's have lots of problems, but DANG! That takes the cake!

Is there more to the story? Dealership take it back? New engine? What happened afterward?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 19:58   #17
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by method View Post
What kind of car? What part did they replace?
It's a GM product. Go figure... They replaced some kind of electronic receiver.

On another note, my wife and I have been considering selling the car. If I sold it private party, I could have $3500 in hand after the loan is paid off. The payment is only $235 per month, but it would be nice not to have a car payment. I'd use the cash to buy an old diesel Mercedes in good condition that a friend is selling. My car is only about 2yr old and is still under warranty and paid off. Should I sell her car and buy the diesel?
Old 07-27-2014, 22:37   #18
686Owner
NRA Life Member

Only new car I've bought was a 2009 Honda CR-V. No problems yet :knocks on wood:

Last edited by 686Owner; 07-27-2014 at 22:37..
686Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 22:55   #19
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

I ordered a brand new 1968 Ford Torino GT with the Windsor 351 and 4 spd early from the "Facts Book". It was one of the first delivered to the Midwest.

I took it for a test drive to Minneapolis (and a few drags) and went over a rough railroad crossing. As soon as I got passed it the engine exhaust sound weird, humming. Straight back to the dealer.

They took off the duals exhaust and shipped them back to Ford. It seemed they were routed between the frame and the rear leaf springs and when I bottomed out it pinched them almost completely shut against the frame.

It was repaired and didn't happen again. But, in spite of it's performance, I was sure that the manual transmission was an after thought cause the linkage for the clutch went between the bell housing and the left body. When you torqued it up good the linkage would literally fall apart and you had to crawl under the car and reconnect the pivot.

I was glad to trade it off later.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36   #20
orgnova

Wife's car had the same problem, key fobs quit working. I replaced batteries, same thing, would not work. Ended up buying 2 new ones off ebay. Both still working.

On another note, I had a Dodge I bought new, it went through 3 transmissions, paint peeling, rattling (sounded like it was falling apart) and 2 computers in 2 years. Will not buy another Chrysler product again.

Last edited by orgnova; 07-28-2014 at 05:37..
orgnova is offline   Reply With Quote