GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:45   #161
Shadow106

I retired as Commander of a state DOT team, covering half a state. I've spent thousands of hours watching and interacting with drivers of all sorts on Interstate and secondary highways. I will say, from my own experiences, that when a big rig has an 'accident', it is usually pretty grim just because of the size and weight of the vehicle. But after decades of work in LE, there is no doubt in my mind that the morons in the personal vehicles are the ones who are dangerous. Truckers are regulated almost to the point of not being able to afford to operate in this day and age. If ALL drivers had the same requirements commercial drivers do, I'm pretty sure we'd see a lot less traffic on major highways. My .02 worth.
Shadow106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:44   #162
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow106 View Post
I retired as Commander of a state DOT team, covering half a state. I've spent thousands of hours watching and interacting with drivers of all sorts on Interstate and secondary highways. I will say, from my own experiences, that when a big rig has an 'accident', it is usually pretty grim just because of the size and weight of the vehicle. But after decades of work in LE, there is no doubt in my mind that the morons in the personal vehicles are the ones who are dangerous. Truckers are regulated almost to the point of not being able to afford to operate in this day and age. If ALL drivers had the same requirements commercial drivers do, I'm pretty sure we'd see a lot less traffic on major highways. My .02 worth.
I agree that truck drivers and probably better drivers on average, than the average driver out there in a personal vehicle. And I believe that our driver education and traffic enforcement is a joke. You're far more likely to be ticketed for driving over the limit on an empty road than you are for driving under the speed limit in the left lane, with a long line of pissed off drivers attempting to squeeze into the right lane to pass.

Does anybody here have experience with the education and enforcement system in Europe? I wonder how it's done over there?
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:55   #163
J Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS T MAG View Post

I would like to see semi's limited on the road from 9pm to 6am. It would make the roads safer for all of us.

It would also make for a lot of bare shelves. Besides, they can't be as bad as my ex-wife. 3 different cars, 3 wrecks, all her fault. The last was $22,000 damage to her new Forerunner. Bless her heart.

Last edited by J Lee; 01-31-2014 at 12:58..
J Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:56   #164
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

I got in a wreck in my 300ZX when an 18-wheeler changed lanes into me while we were side by side on a four lane highway. I slammed the brakes when I saw him coming over (I couldn't move over a lane over due to a K-wall) and his rear left duallies took out the front right of the Z as I decelerated. I didn't know the Z had that many parts in the front end that could come off and the car still drive. Had I been one second further ahead I would have been crushed to death. The responding CHP interviewed us both and wrote ME up as at fault, even though prior to the CHP arriving, the truck driver admitted to not looking in his mirror and he apologized. I don't remember what the justification was for hanging it on me, but I was pissed. I wrote and sent my own narrative to the CHP station that issued the report, and they changed it to either no-fault or undetermined fault (I forget the language, it was a long time ago). All I could figure was, the cop was protecting the truck driver from getting an accident on his record as some sort of bizarre professional courtesy. Or maybe it was his brother in law, who knows.

Generally speaking I think truck drivers are as safe as anyone on the road. Bottom line: Either way, humans are behind the wheel.
Old 01-31-2014, 16:14   #165
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I agree that truck drivers and probably better drivers on average, than the average driver out there in a personal vehicle. And I believe that our driver education and traffic enforcement is a joke. You're far more likely to be ticketed for driving over the limit on an empty road than you are for driving under the speed limit in the left lane, with a long line of pissed off drivers attempting to squeeze into the right lane to pass.

Does anybody here have experience with the education and enforcement system in Europe? I wonder how it's done over there?
Um. Some States in the USA have adopted recipricocity with Germany. Give them a drivers license from these states and you get a German one.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29   #166
SevenSixtyTwo

I know from years of driving that there are a lot of aggressive truck drivers with absolutely no patience. However, the ones I feel bad for are the ones who make evasive maneuvers to avoid idiots in cars and wind up crashing and killing themselves trying to protect the idiots that cause the problem. If you're going to challenge a 70k lb OTR truck with your little 3k lb sht box, you should lose. If a truck driver is an a/h, simple get out of his way and let him roll on out of your life. In a matter of hours you'll have forgot all about it.
SevenSixtyTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elderly truckers, germany again...