Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-25-2014, 19:11   #81
farscott

I drive a lot at night, around 25000 miles per year. In my experience, the worst drivers are those who are sleep-deprived and those under the influence of one or more drugs.

On my last trip, I got to watch one semi drift into the passing lane, drift back into the right lane, and leave the roadway. I wish I could say that was unusual.
Old 01-25-2014, 20:24   #82
jfost11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Trucks are worse. Very high turnover of drivers. No professionals anymore.

I suggest
1. Truck speed limit 10 mph slower than auto speed limit.
2. Trucks must stay in right lane.
3. During heavy traffic all trucks must pull off the road onto the shoulder until given permission to proceed.
4. Automated circular record chart showing speed, distance traveled, driver break times.
5. No trucks on the road on Sunday.

I've seen this in European countries and I think it works pretty well.

Just... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
I suggest we follow your suggestion.

I don't understand why we move so many goods by truck anyway, they tear up the roads and moving freight by rail is 3 times more fuel efficient than moving freight on the highway. Trains can move a ton of freight nearly 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel.
How vast is the railroad network in this country in comparison to the highways. When a train gets somewhere that is capable of unloading the containers, what do you think happens to them? They get dropped on a trailer frame and hauled to the destination (which is usually nowhere near the station)by a truck.
jfost11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 21:54   #83
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfost11 View Post
Just... no.

How vast is the railroad network in this country in comparison to the highways. When a train gets somewhere that is capable of unloading the containers, what do you think happens to them? They get dropped on a trailer frame and hauled to the destination (which is usually nowhere near the station)by a truck.
The railway network is vast and there are thousands of miles of unused or under used railway roadbeds. The current supremacy of trucks over trains is a triumph of convenience over efficiency and environment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 22:23   #84
Direwolf131

If they are tailgating you in the right lane, screw 'em.

Nope, the right lane, but you do bring up another method of extreme aggravation, the knob heads who plant themselves in the passing lane and then decide that they are the enforcers of speed restrictions, these are the folk who will match speed with the 18-wheelers and then put it on cruise.
Direwolf131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 22:43   #85
SGM_Brown

1. Truckers

2. Truckers

3. Truckers

10. Truckers
SGM_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 22:45   #86
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGM_Brown View Post
1. Truckers

2. Truckers

3. Truckers

10. Truckers
Ha! Ha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-25-2014, 23:02   #87
J.ThaddeusToad
Checkmate

The Katrina victims in NE Houston are the most dangerous I have encountered by far. Extremely aggressive, with malice but no forethought.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:52   #88
Jake514

Send a message via Yahoo to Jake514
Quote:
I suggest we follow your suggestion.

I don't understand why we move so many goods by truck anyway, they tear up the roads and moving freight by rail is 3 times more fuel efficient than moving freight on the highway. Trains can move a ton of freight nearly 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel.
So, you must have a rail spur up to every single store and house where you live?
Jake514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:20   #89
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauptmann6 View Post
Every time I have been hit while driving or in a parking lot it was by a blue hair that couldn't see over the wheel. Hell I got hit on my bike by an old lady who waved and then hit the gas right into me. I rode her hood across the street and fell of when she stopped. She then drove away.
It hurt....but man....that has some comedy in it. Right of a movie...
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:22   #90
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
The railway network is vast and there are thousands of miles of unused or under used railway roadbeds. The current supremacy of trucks over trains is a triumph of convenience over efficiency and environment.
But honestly..flight is also triumph of convenience over efficiency and environment.

Airplanes arent very efficient
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 20:38   #91
guanoman

illegal aliens!
Old 01-26-2014, 22:04   #92
13 ROMEO
2nd Armored Cav

I don't know about other places, but in the DFW area...

ROCK HAULERS!

They drive worse than idiots!
Old 01-26-2014, 23:01   #93
fiveoboy01

Quote:
There are a lot of holes in that argument. Trucks and trains are really two different types of transportation. One couldn't replace the other IMO.

As far as the OP, I work in the industry and there are some bad drivers out there, but there are still a lot of safe and courteous ones as well. It's definitely not like it used to be, but lots of things have changed in the past couple decades.
Rimfire Club #6923
Walther Club #310
Niners Club #8989

Last edited by fiveoboy01; 01-26-2014 at 23:04..
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 00:20   #94
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolf131 View Post
If they are tailgating you in the right lane, screw 'em.

Nope, the right lane, but you do bring up another method of extreme aggravation, the knob heads who plant themselves in the passing lane and then decide that they are the enforcers of speed restrictions, these are the folk who will match speed with the 18-wheelers and then put it on cruise.
I get this quite a bit when I drive back home to VA, especially on the 2-lane I-64. But as often as this happens, I don't know if these are "speed enforcers" or just idiots who don't know any better. I will flash my lights at them at first, a lot of times they move. Out of the ones who don't, they tend to be the elderly without fail. Sometimes they respond to a horn and sometimes they don't and I just have to bear with it until an opening to pass occurs. It's a shame that cops don't pull over the left lane campers. I believe they cause more highway trouble than speeders. I really don't like to drive aggressively, but the amount of idiots going under the speed limit in the left lane in VA really speaks to the quality of driver education in that state. I will take NJ/NY drivers any day.
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 00:22   #95
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
There are a lot of holes in that argument. Trucks and trains are really two different types of transportation. One couldn't replace the other IMO.

The transportation industry has changed over time. When I was a child, my father wouldn't have dreamed of building a warehouse without a rail dock, and he thought of his merchandise in terms of "car loads" (box car loads).

Today, there is a Target distribution center in my town that is serviced solely by trucks. Trains are not allowed within the city limits (along with auto parts stores, auto dealers, jake braking, hotels that don't require a credit card, etc.) because they don't fit into the city ambiance. Among suburbanites, it tends to be a NIMBY thing.

As I fly across the nation, I see countless unused rail roadbeds because our transportation model has changed.

It's important to note that a train can carry 500,000 ton-miles per day. That translates into taking 250–400 trucks off the road, thus making our roads more safe.

Old 01-27-2014, 00:43   #96
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I believe they cause more highway trouble than speeders. I really don't like to drive aggressively, but the amount of idiots going under the speed limit in the left lane in VA really speaks to the quality of driver education in that state. I will take NJ/NY drivers any day.
I have to think that if the U.S. adopted the 'yield to faster traffic' mentality there would be much less road rage.

I've flashed my lights at a vehicle in the left lane that was driving side by side with another for miles on an empty highway only to have to pass them on the right when they happened to slow down for a second. Then they preceded to flash their lights at me and tail gate me.

I can't count the number of times I've been forced to pass someone on the right only to have them speed up to try and cut me off. I have to think that these drivers can't all simply be a-holes. Surely some of them are a-holes who also don't realize they're in the wrong and they think I'm being the jerk for flashing my lights or speeding up to pass them. Maybe if these a-holes were a bit educated they wouldn't get set off so easily if they knew they were in the wrong.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 00:58   #97
RGbiker

I ride a motorcycle. Worst drivers IMO: Phoenix (snowbirds), Tucson (snowbirds), El Paso, Houston, DFW Metroplex, Washington DC Beltway and I5 in California - Prius left lane campers.

I'll ride out of my way to avoid Boston, Chicago and NYC.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:11   #98
Rustin

Columbus Ohio is home to the second largest population of Somali refugees. You've never seen bad driving until you get to Cleveland avenue. Any bad driving scenario you've seen or heard about happens all day long here in little Mogadishu.

And...they all have brand new toyotas, sit around in Tim hortons all day and self segregate. Ah diversity is so great.

Last edited by Rustin; 01-27-2014 at 02:14..
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:43   #99
Ohio Cop

You've never driven in Northeast Ohio.

It's kind of like Russia but we need the dash cams..

2 out of every 5 drivers on the roadway do not have a valid driver's license. 3 out of those 5 have no financial responsibility on the vehicle they are driving.

I stopped a 46 year old woman who'd been driving since she was 14 years old. Has never, ever, ever had a valid driver's license. She has an Identification Card and that's it.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."
Ohio Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35   #100
airmotive
Tin Kicker

I watched my dad's excellent driving skills diminish over time.
He drove slower and slower to compensate. Stopped driving at night.
Drove even slower.
Eventually we had to take his keys away from him. He hated it, but he understood. He also had mom there to drive him wherever he needed to go.

Now he's gone. And I'm noticing mom's driving skills are beginning to head south pretty quickly...It's a little heartbreaking, because she will lose so much independence. But it has to be done.

That said...
Dear truck drivers:
If you are not able to complete a pass of another truck in under 60 seconds, the truck you're trying to pass isn't slowing you down. Stay behind him. You'll save a ton of fuel.

Tags
elderly truckers, germany again...