SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-24-2014, 21:34   #41
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
My biggest pet peeve are idiots trying to merge onto a 65 or 75mph highway at 45mph. They get mad because they can't get over and usually end up merging at the very last second over the now solid lanes forcing other drivers to hit the brakes or rear end them.
Old people
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 21:43   #42
blastfact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
Slamming on the brakes at a green light causing me to hit the brakes and almost having the coal truck behind me smash my small car(I live in coal country). Turn halfway onto a street and realize it's one way and yank the wheel back into my lane, drive 40 mph on the interstate I could go on and on, there's no point, old people can't drive.
Maybe you should pay more attention? I had a elderly lady slam on her brakes this morning in front of me on a on ramp for HWY 75 North here in Okiehoma. It took me all of a second to understand a elder was in front of me. I slowed way down waiting on her to question herself. Wasn't a issue.

Maybe you and the coal truck driver were tailgaters? Naw that couldn't happen could it?

Do you not pay attention to cars and there drivers around you?

I can pick out a drunk, cell phone user or senior in a second. And the idiot eating and driving. <<<< that type is fun to follow. Drop a fry and hit a power pole. Also the ladys putting there war paint on while driving. There in a class of there own. And now days there is a cell phone involved in the action. If there above the poverty line they maybe talking hands free. Just yammering away, painting there face with no attention to driving.

You must have blinders on and not paying attention your self if your bane is our elders.
blastfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 21:47   #43
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Maybe you should pay more attention? I had a elderly lady slam on her brakes this morning in front of me on a on ramp for HWY 75 North here in Okiehoma. It took me all of a second to understand a elder was in front of me. I slowed way down waiting on her to question herself. Wasn't a issue.

Maybe you and the coal truck driver were tailgaters? Naw that couldn't happen could it?

Do you not pay attention to cars and there drivers around you?

I can pick out a drunk, cell phone user or senior in a second. And the idiot eating and driving. <<<< that type is fun to follow. Drop a fry and hit a power pole. Also the ladys putting there war paint on while driving. There in a class of there own. And now days there is a cell phone involved in the action. If there above the poverty line they maybe talking hands free. Just yammering away, painting there face with no attention to driving.

You must have blinders on and not paying attention your self if your bane is our elders.
So what your saying is that if I'm a ****ty driver it's your responsibility to identify me and react accordingly?
Old 01-24-2014, 21:57   #44
Rick C
affiant

Worst drivers in the US are.......

Back to the OP sorta....

Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed.

Search for printer drivers in Win7 can be a bit of struggle.
Old 01-24-2014, 22:06   #45
blastfact

Quote:
So what your saying is that if I'm a ****ty driver it's your responsibility to identify me and react accordingly?
Yes ,,, It's called defensive driving. Well it was in the olden days. I prefer HD attention now days. It's nothing new.

With that said I honestly think 50% of the licensed drivers in the USA and Territory's should have there DL's revoked and put into prison if ever caught driving again. And thats just the so called sober sane folks.

I've driven all over this fading great country of ours. The sober idiots that feel there entitled to drive are insane. They kill more per mile than the drunks that are easy to pick out in traffic or blazing down the hwy.

The worse metro I've driven in over the last ten years is Phoenix. The sun does bad things to those peoples gray matter. I've been in many metro's all over the country, crossed the plains and ran the two lanes and one car only bridges in the Ozarks and Appalachians. And all over the Rockies. PHX. Sucks!

Pay attention! Or play bumper cars. It's your choice.
Old 01-24-2014, 22:16   #46
Jaykwish

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfact View Post
Yes ,,, It's called defensive driving. Well it was in the olden days. I prefer HD attention now days. It's nothing new.

With that said I honestly think 50% of the licensed drivers in the USA and Territory's should have there DL's revoked and put into prison if ever caught driving again. And thats just the so called sober sane folks.

I've driven all over this fading great country of ours. The sober idiots that feel there entitled to drive are insane. They kill more per mile than the drunks that are easy to pick out in traffic or blazing down the hwy.

The worse metro I've driven in over the last ten years is Phoenix. The sun does bad things to those peoples gray matter. I've been in many metro's all over the country, crossed the plains and ran the two lanes and one car only bridges in the Ozarks and Appalachians. And all over the Rockies. PHX. Sucks!

Pay attention! Or play bumper cars. It's your choice.
Old people are dangerous in cars you can't persuade me otherwise, how old are you?
Old 01-24-2014, 22:43   #47
Harper

Quote:
Slamming on the brakes at a green light causing me to hit the brakes and almost having the coal truck behind me smash my small car(I live in coal country). Turn halfway onto a street and realize it's one way and yank the wheel back into my lane, drive 40 mph on the interstate I could go on and on, there's no point, old people can't drive.
The one that seems to always be an old lady is the one where they cut across lanes of traffic to pull in somewhere only to come to a near stop at the entrance if there is a 1/2" lip to the drive. It's like they're playing baseball and as long as they touch home plate they're safe, never mind half of their Cadillac is still hanging out in the road.

Last edited by Harper; 01-24-2014 at 22:44..
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 22:43   #48
blastfact

Be 53 next month. Got my first motorcycle dl when I was 13.5 years old in Arkansas. It was great when I was a kid!

It was and still is mandatory you start learning to drive at least by 6 or 7 years old in the wifes family and mine. All three of our children. All daughters could pass a idiot state drivers exam, written and practical by age 12. They also know how to change a tire in a muddy rut ridden road. They know how to change the oil, transmission fluid and diff. fluid. They know how to do a brake job and understand the proper front and rear alignment of a car or truck. They understand how a car or truck works and the dynamics involved in different types of vehicles. There motor vehicle education is very in depth. There parents, grandparents and great grandparents demand the education. And they are now educating there children. And all must learn to drive on a manual transmission! No auto box's allowed. And there state BS driving test must be taken in a car or truck with a manual transmission. Auto box allowed if your truly disabled. If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time does not count as a disability.

Driving is the single most important thing most people do in the course of there every day life. And in our modern culture it's insert key or push button and turn off brain. Lets see if we die today. And ***** about it if we live through it.

As a family we even get together and have autocross weekends. From the elders to the kids. If your feet touch the pedals your on the clock.

We take driving very seriously! I don't even have so called auto ins. anymore. I buy a bond. Totally legal here. And does not cost what you think if your a good driver.

Last edited by blastfact; 01-24-2014 at 22:50..
Old 01-24-2014, 22:59   #49
Harper

I'm always amazed at how often people fail to do the absolute minimum of looking where they are going. Like if you're turning onto a highway the most basic thing to do would be to look to see if the road is clear. There's a spot not far from my house where multiple times I was driving as I watched a car come to a stop on the side street then pull right out in front of me and I had to lock up the brakes.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 00:10   #50
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Lets see car drivers. Pass a driving test when @ 16. Basicly if you don't get in accident during road test you pass. And you are taught to the test.

So most folks have only taken one driving test. I think I have taken 4. Basic, 15 + pass van, race car, and CDL.
Now for the CDL I have to take a vision, physical test EVERY 12 months. I have to inspect EVERY truck, trailer every day. Have to keep log of hrs (from couple days before to after) If I am feeling good I can't keep going, MUST park (even if only half hr from destination) ...
Thing is I have not driven a semi for hire in yrs. Some states have special rules for trucks. Trucks can NOT drive same speed as cars/ pickups/ HUGE RVs. Most cars/pickups are allowed a couple mph to pass, not trucks. Often trucks are NOT allowed in all lanes. Then add in companies who put governer on trucks, trucks that are underpowered so if you hit hill you can't pass them.
I am likely buying a truck in next month for some work. 600 hp and only 500k miles. Do you get that? Half a million miles is broke in for truck. 100 k per person in truck a yr is not heavy driving.
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 00:26   #51
WT

Trucks are worse. Very high turnover of drivers. No professionals anymore.

I suggest
1. Truck speed limit 10 mph slower than auto speed limit.
2. Trucks must stay in right lane.
3. During heavy traffic all trucks must pull off the road onto the shoulder until given permission to proceed.
4. Automated circular record chart showing speed, distance traveled, driver break times.
5. No trucks on the road on Sunday.

I've seen this in European countries and I think it works pretty well.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:07   #52
GVFlyer

I lived in Europe for 14 years and in Asia for two. European drivers are better than all US drivers because they have more training and have to be better qualified to be licensed. US drivers are better than the drivers in, say, Istanbul or Seoul.

Among US drivers, these are the worst.

1. Over the road truckers. After being run off the road on the interstate last summer near Tucson by a semi, I now actively f--k with them while on the road. I drove bobtails and ancient White Freightliners with Brownie auxiliary transmissions when I was in college and there's a different breed of trucker on the road today.

2. Seniors. It's difficult to quantify the accidents they cause because they are rarely involved in them.

3. Teens. Statistically, if you're between 16 and 20 and you're going to die, you're going to do it in a car.

4. Me, because I still drive like I was living in Germany - which means way too fast. There's nothing inherently wrong with driving fast if your fellow drivers drive sensibly, but sadly, in America, they don't. In Germany, I could count on other drivers not to tail gate, not to pass on the right and to give way to overtaking traffic. That's a laughable expectation here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:37   #53
nathanours
Texan

Around here the worst drivers tend to drive Subarus, Prius' and Volts. They constantly drive. 3-10 mph under the limit in the left lane.

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:46   #54
GVFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Trucks are worse. Very high turnover of drivers. No professionals anymore.

I suggest
1. Truck speed limit 10 mph slower than auto speed limit.
2. Trucks must stay in right lane.
3. During heavy traffic all trucks must pull off the road onto the shoulder until given permission to proceed.
4. Automated circular record chart showing speed, distance traveled, driver break times.
5. No trucks on the road on Sunday.

I've seen this in European countries and I think it works pretty well.
I suggest we follow your suggestion.

I don't understand why we move so many goods by truck anyway, they tear up the roads and moving freight by rail is 3 times more fuel efficient than moving freight on the highway. Trains can move a ton of freight nearly 450 miles on a single gallon of fuel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:10   #55
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS T MAG View Post
Without a doubt, OTR truckers. Most major accidents are caused or contributed by them. Look at the latest Indiana incident. Six lengths for every 10mph would have prevented this.

If they would follow the knowledge of most drivers, no more than one truck would ever be involved in an accident.

I would like to see semi's limited on the road from 9pm to 6am. It would make the roads safer for all of us.

I really hate truck drivers in bad weather.
Where I do a lot of my highway driving, I tend to drive fast. There aremany sections of the highways without speed limits. Sometimes you will see cars going 175mph.

But trucks. Limited tho 80kmh (49.7mph). This limit is STRICTLY enforced. Trucks are required to have monitoring systems on them for tolls. They also record the time they went under and if they have exceeded and average higher then 80kmh. Fines.

Many sections of the highways have, at least during the days, trucks must stay in right lane. No exception. They will also put dynamic limits on trucks staying in the right lane.

No trucks allowed, without special permission, or allowed on the roads (not just highways...on the roads) on Sunday and holidays.

As far as following distance, the legal standard for a car (and you will get a ticket if police catch you) is "half speedometer". This means if you are driving 100kmh, 50 meters is the minimum distance. 200kmh..100 meters. You measure this by the length of the painted dashed lines and reflectors (both are precisely places the specific distance apart). If police dont see that many dashed lines between you and the car in front of you, ticket.

If you even think about passing on the right, they will give you a ticket.

When you see the difference between the level of driving between Europe and USA, it is night and day.

They wont be driving while putting on make-up, talking on phone (illegal), and having their latte.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16   #56
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
4. Me, because I still drive like I was living in Germany - which means way too fast. There's nothing inherently wrong with driving fast if your fellow drivers drive sensibly, but sadly, in America, they don't. In Germany, I could count on other drivers not to tail gate, not to pass on the right and to give way to overtaking traffic. That's a laughable expectation here.
I have a hard time with this. 3-4 weeks in Germany and then a few week at home.

My wife complains that I drive like when I get home.

Flashing lights at *****les who block the left lane is considered "aggressive" in USA, and in Germany a reminder that a faster car is coming and get right.

I have solved that issue by driving in the left lane with headlights on high. I somehow forgot to turn them off; I cant see them during the day so its an honest mistake. Its just as honest of a mistake as someone who cant remember to stay right.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23   #57
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
So most folks have only taken one driving test. I think I have taken 4. Basic, 15 + pass van, race car, and CDL.
Hardest one I even took was an AMA test to be able to race Formula 3 bikes. And that only got a yellow number plate.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:45   #58
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinr20 View Post
My biggest pet peeve are idiots trying to merge onto a 65 or 75mph highway at 45mph. They get mad because they can't get over and usually end up merging at the very last second over the now solid lanes forcing other drivers to hit the brakes or rear end them.
Those people often don't even look where they are trying to merge until they are almost out of room also.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:31   #59
SleeperSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_minn View Post
Lets see car drivers. Pass a driving test when @ 16. Basicly if you don't get in accident during road test you pass. And you are taught to the test.

Now for the CDL I have to take a vision, physical test EVERY 12 months. I have to inspect EVERY truck, trailer every day. Have to keep log of hrs (from couple days before to after) If I am feeling good I can't keep going, MUST park (even if only half hr from destination) ...
Thing is I have not driven a semi for hire in yrs. Some states have special rules for trucks. Trucks can NOT drive same speed as cars/ pickups/ HUGE RVs. Most cars/pickups are allowed a couple mph to pass, not trucks. Often trucks are NOT allowed in all lanes. Then add in companies who put governer on trucks, trucks that are underpowered so if you hit hill you can't pass them.
I am likely buying a truck in next month for some work. 600 hp and only 500k miles. Do you get that? Half a million miles is broke in for truck. 100 k per person in truck a yr is not heavy driving.
DOT physicals are every 2 years.
SleeperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46   #60
rudutchyet

russians seem worse
http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1...l=0&showinfo=0
rudutchyet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elderly truckers, germany again...