GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2014, 21:00   #41
AZson

Dont put rails on the hand guard it almost doubles the weight.
Old 01-18-2014, 22:53   #42
South Fla
©South Fla 2014

I bought a Sport at Bud's Gun Shop this week. It was a great price and I am very pleased with it. It am only going to replace the plastic forends with the Magpul one and pot the 5 slot rail so I can attach a Streamlight TRL-1 flashlight on it. I might put red dot scope, but that is down the road.

The only complaint I had with it was the rear pin was a biscuit to get out at first. I had to use Ballistol and a punch to get it out the first time.

Last edited by South Fla; 01-18-2014 at 22:54..
South Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:48   #43
Glocks n' Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Fla View Post
I bought a Sport at Bud's Gun Shop this week. It was a great price and I am very pleased with it. It am only going to replace the plastic forends with the Magpul one and pot the 5 slot rail so I can attach a Streamlight TRL-1 flashlight on it. I might put red dot scope, but that is down the road.

The only complaint I had with it was the rear pin was a biscuit to get out at first. I had to use Ballistol and a punch to get it out the first time.
Yup. Same experience here. I think the black coating they apply at S&W was seriously thick. I also intend on replacing the forend with a Magpul.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:50   #44
WarEagle32

Just keep her lubed, only use really good mags(PMAGS), and shoot good ammo through it.
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 18:05   #45
Glocks n' Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle32 View Post
Just keep her lubed, only use really good mags(PMAGS), and shoot good ammo through it.
The rifle came with a pmag and I bought another (with a window). They are solid and easy to disassemble, but what is so great about them over others?
Old 01-20-2014, 18:11   #46
dkf

The Pmags are good mags with a reliable track record. I like Lancers myself and they are worth a try. See what you like. If you have all 30rd mags it would be good to pick up a couple 20rd mags because they don't get in the way for shooting off the bench.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 20:25   #47
gunsmoke92

You've made a fine choice with the Sport. Magpul furniture is also a great choice. I bought my Sport used, had a bunch of stuff I didn't care for, quad rail, stock pistol grip (was uncomfortable), and the factory stock had a lot of play. 100% Magpul now, much lighter, and more to my liking.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

I'm thinking Aimpoint in the future, but for now the UTG red/green dot and 3X magnifier is doing just fine.

Enjoy your Sport and good shooting.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 20:28   #48
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks n' Crocs View Post
The rifle came with a pmag and I bought another (with a window). They are solid and easy to disassemble, but what is so great about them over others?
They're significantly more reliable and durable than almost any other mag on the market, and they're very inexpensive.
Old 01-20-2014, 20:48   #49
gunsmoke92

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
They're significantly more reliable and durable than almost any other mag on the market, and they're very inexpensive.
Exactly! Run over a metal mag with your car, then run over a Pmag, see which one still functions. I've seen Pmags shot, the springs stuffed back inside, loaded, and used like nothing happened (not recommended). Even the issued GI mags these days have Magpul followers in them. Magpul just got it right, and on top of it all, they haven't gotten a swollen head about it and priced themselves out of the market. Quality, made in America, priced right, and they just work every single time.

Now if I could just get them to make mags and followers for my Beretta, the world would be perfect.
S&W Club #92, Snubbie club #92, The 21 Club #92
gunsmoke92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 20:54   #50
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

To me Pmags seem to be one of the best values in the firearms market.

Last edited by Steel Head; 01-20-2014 at 20:56..
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 22:16   #51
PaLEOjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
To me Pmags seem to be one of the best values in the firearms market.
Pmags and Lancers are the way to go for polymer mags. The NHMTG USGI mags are good to go if you like aluminum mags. Never had any issues with the mags listed.
Stay away from knock offs like Tapco and CProducts, they are a waste of money.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 01-21-2014, 00:18   #52
mixflip

Like everyone else said…congrats….just learn to shoot it. 90% of AR owners will never take their rifle through a hard core tactical carbine course so pretty much any AR will serve them just fine for those once a month (if even that) range days on a bench or for the infamous youtube mag dump.

My 1st personally purchased AR was a DPMS that I paid $599 for. I don't regret it one bit because I learned a lot on it. I have since moved on to several AR's over the years. It served its purpose.

As for mags. I have a bucket full (not just AR lol) but for the AR I will also vote Pmags, Lancers and old school USGI mags. Lancers are awesome because they are polymer but also have metal feed lips which is just plain cool.

Last edited by mixflip; 01-21-2014 at 00:22..
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:04   #53
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Like everyone else said…congrats….just learn to shoot it. 90% of AR owners will never take their rifle through a hard core tactical carbine course so pretty much any AR will serve them just fine for those once a month (if even that) range days on a bench or for the infamous youtube mag dump.

I see people say this...but I don't get it. The rifle doesn't know if you are shooting at 1 target or transitioning between 3. The rifle doesn't know if you are barely hitting a full size silhouette at 10 yards or if you are taking out mini's at 75 after doing a tactical reload while shooting from cover.

I know there is a group who likes to use the "shot it in a carbine course" as a measuring stick, but really, what does it matter what YOU were doing when you put X number of rounds through the rifle in Y period of time?

I took mine to a nice simple little Appleseed one time and went through over 400 rounds, almost all of it in just the afternoon. No fancy "carbine course" is needed to work a rifle hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post

As for mags. I have a bucket full (not just AR lol) but for the AR I will also vote Pmags, Lancers and old school USGI mags. Lancers are awesome because they are polymer but also have metal feed lips which is just plain cool.
Exactly. Just like the other guy said

Magpul PMAG (all except Gen2 20 rounders are basically guaranteed good to go)

Lancer L5 AWM

Good USGI mags (not all aluminum mags are USGI mags). My favorite is NHMTG but labelle and D&H and anything marked Colt should be good. Magpul followers in the 30 rounders are best, the 20 rounders are excellent just the way they are.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 15:31   #54
Glocks n' Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
I see people say this...but I don't get it. The rifle doesn't know if you are shooting at 1 target or transitioning between 3. The rifle doesn't know if you are barely hitting a full size silhouette at 10 yards or if you are taking out mini's at 75 after doing a tactical reload while shooting from cover.

I know there is a group who likes to use the "shot it in a carbine course" as a measuring stick, but really, what does it matter what YOU were doing when you put X number of rounds through the rifle in Y period of time?

I took mine to a nice simple little Appleseed one time and went through over 400 rounds, almost all of it in just the afternoon. No fancy "carbine course" is needed to work a rifle hard.

Exactly. Just like the other guy said

Magpul PMAG (all except Gen2 20 rounders are basically guaranteed good to go)

Lancer L5 AWM

Good USGI mags (not all aluminum mags are USGI mags). My favorite is NHMTG but labelle and D&H and anything marked Colt should be good. Magpul followers in the 30 rounders are best, the 20 rounders are excellent just the way they are.
People talk about "tactical carbine courses" all the time. What do these services offer thats worth the serious money that they ask? Do they teach you how to handle threats with an AR-15 or what?
Old 01-23-2014, 18:29   #55
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
People talk about "tactical carbine courses" all the time. What do these services offer thats worth the serious money that they ask? Do they teach you how to handle threats with an AR-15 or what?
That would depend on the course in question.

But many of them make the distinction, and try to get you to look at it from the perspective of, you aren't shooting per se, but rather, fighting with a gun.

It seems as though a "tactical carbine" course is going to do a lot more of things like shooting from cover, shooting from your off shoulder, malfunction clearance drills, shooting from non-standard positions, etc.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 01-23-2014, 18:45   #56
PEC-Memphis
Scottish Member

[quote=Reb 56;20926273]
Quote:
Just purchased my first AR-15 rifle, a S&W M&P Sport. Anything I should know about the platform?

One thing you can count on before your done adding all the optics, free float rail, up graded trigger and slings etc. You will have spent more on accessories than on the Rifle.
Now that you mention it, don't put a lot of crap on it. Keep it light and handy. Spend money on ammunition getting proficient with it.

I have the M&P 15 OR. I put a quad rail barrel shroud (isn't that the thingie that goes up in the back?). I'm not sure I even shot it before I took it off. I went back to the OEM hand guard, it is noticeably lighter. The trigger is pretty decent right out-of-the-box - so I didn't spend any money there, yours may be different.

I added a TAC-30 1-4x (no sights on a OR) and a single point sling attachment between the buffer tube and the lower. Added a "shooting sling" set for a "hasty".

I like the OR since it has a low gas block that doesn't ghost in the scope. A iron sight can be added to the gas block rail if needed. I tried several options on the optic, the TAC-30 worked best for me. Light (fairly), durable, works with or without batteries, shoots like a holographic at 1x with both eyes open**, but is 4x with a twist of the bell (with BDR) - all at a fraction of the price, weight, and "real-estate" of a good holographic and magnifier.

**The TAC-30 does have a very generous eye relief at 1x, but not like a reflex/holographic.

Last edited by PEC-Memphis; 01-23-2014 at 18:48..
PEC-Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 14:09   #57
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post

Warp, I don't think the "shot it in a carbine course" group would call an Appleseed as working the rifle hard. Yes, you can shoot 400 rounds over the course of the weekend, but rate of fire is low. You aren't subjecting the rifle to rapid fire, and really heating it up. The fastest stage is 10 shots in 55 seconds. Ruger 10/22s and Marlin 795s dot the line and are quite capable. I would be surprised if any well maintained AR, built to TDP or otherwise, couldn't handle an Appleseed course.

Last edited by cyphertext; 01-24-2014 at 16:01..
cyphertext is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 16:49   #58
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Warp, I don't think the "shot it in a carbine course" group would call an Appleseed as working the rifle hard. Yes, you can shoot 400 rounds over the course of the weekend, but rate of fire is low. You aren't subjecting the rifle to rapid fire, and really heating it up. The fastest stage is 10 shots in 55 seconds. Ruger 10/22s and Marlin 795s dot the line and are quite capable. I would be surprised if any well maintained AR, built to TDP or otherwise, couldn't handle an Appleseed course.
I fired 450 rounds over the course of maybe 3/4 of the day that time. Sunday, slow in the morning, got into the AQT grind a little before lunch, continued it after lunch, stopped a little early, 450 rounds through my AR that day alone.

On stage 2 my rifle often go through 10 rounds in about 30 seconds (finish in 35ish seconds, the first 5+ seconds being transition), and a few minutes later I go through 10 rounds in about 40 seconds for stage 3. Doing AQT after AQT after AQT as quickly as people can prep mags, in the sun in the heat, centerfire rifles definitely get hot.

.22lr's don't really build up heat like the centerfires do, so of course they handle it. They get a little dirty though.

I don't know what the rates of fire at 'carbine courses' are, but I don't seem to recall seeing 500+ rounds per day in the description, so I don't see how they could be substantially different from what I just described.

Last edited by Warp; 01-24-2014 at 16:52..
Old 01-24-2014, 17:00   #59
diode

How does the S&W AR15 treat the left handed shooter? Brass to face or good to go?
Old 01-24-2014, 17:14   #60
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Its about the methodology of fighting with a rifle. Learning how to fight not just how to shoot. Most call for 1000 rounds or more

Last edited by FireForged; 01-24-2014 at 17:16..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ar-15, s&w m&p15, sport