Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:36   #21
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

I agree about lube. Just wanted to add this: try to keep the lube out of the chamber, or it will get sticky and nasty. If you've ever had a stuck case, that's a possible factor.

Sent from my phone
Old 01-15-2014, 15:48   #22
Glocks n' Crocs

Thanks for the info everybody. For lube I use Pennzoil Platinum fully synthetic motor oil in the 10w-30 variety. That stuff resists heat and carbon deposits like nothing else. Works great on every thing I've applied it to and makes things smooth as butter.

The only mods I'm looking into are a replacement hand guard. This one to be exact...Black Rifle Forum
The original hand guard is just plastic and not useful. Possibly a new grip also. I have odd shaped hands and the current grip has a divider between the middle and the ring finger that is very uncomfortable. Maybe a "scout scope" to add for sights, but keeping the original magpul peep sight on for backup.
Old 01-15-2014, 16:06   #23
cyphertext

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb 56 View Post
Does anyone have an AR for more than a month that hasn't added anything to it ?
I've had my Sport for over two years and the only changes have been swapping out the Magpul MBUS rear sight for a Matech, and adding a red dot scope. I have a free float tube with a notch for the FSB that I bought to add, but just haven't convinced myself that I want to go through the hassle to add it.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 19:34   #24
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks n' Crocs View Post
Thanks for the info everybody. For lube I use Pennzoil Platinum fully synthetic motor oil in the 10w-30 variety. That stuff resists heat and carbon deposits like nothing else. Works great on every thing I've applied it to and makes things smooth as butter.

The only mods I'm looking into are a replacement hand guard. This one to be exact...Black Rifle Forum
The original hand guard is just plastic and not useful. Possibly a new grip also. I have odd shaped hands and the current grip has a divider between the middle and the ring finger that is very uncomfortable. Maybe a "scout scope" to add for sights, but keeping the original magpul peep sight on for backup.
Magpul handguards are excellent for the money.

I prefer BCM grips over most of the Magpul offerings.

By 'scout scope' I assume you mean a long eye relief scope. Not only do you not need one on an AR, but it's difficult to set up an AR in such away to allow for a lone eye relief scope to be mounted in such a way that you don't risk issues with keeping it zeroed. Stick to a standard rifle scope if you choose to go with a magnified optic.

Side note - I'm not a fan of motor oil in guns. It's designed to work in a (mostly) sealed system, not the very open system that you have to lube in an AR.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:01   #25
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Congrats on the new rifle! Just as others have said, keep it lubed up and just shoot it. Have fun giving it your own touch as well.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:44   #26
FriscoCHL

Congrats on the new rifle. Ive had mine since late '11. My only "complaint" which is not just the sport, was the hand guard was to short for me to shoot comfortably.
Old 01-16-2014, 16:54   #27
Glocks n' Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Magpul handguards are excellent for the money.

I prefer BCM grips over most of the Magpul offerings.

By 'scout scope' I assume you mean a long eye relief scope. Not only do you not need one on an AR, but it's difficult to set up an AR in such away to allow for a lone eye relief scope to be mounted in such a way that you don't risk issues with keeping it zeroed. Stick to a standard rifle scope if you choose to go with a magnified optic.

Side note - I'm not a fan of motor oil in guns. It's designed to work in a (mostly) sealed system, not the very open system that you have to lube in an AR.
Thank you for the info on the scout scope. Moderate magnification in a small scope is more of what Im looking for.

I understand where you are coming from on the motor oil thing. However experience has shown that it works well for my needs. Its nearly eliminated wear on everything I've used it on.
Old 01-16-2014, 17:34   #28
jrs93accord

Quote:
Thank you for the info on the scout scope. Moderate magnification in a small scope is more of what Im looking for.

I understand where you are coming from on the motor oil thing. However experience has shown that it works well for my needs. Its nearly eliminated wear on everything I've used it on.
If you are looking for something with moderate magnification, the VORTEX SPARC comes with a 2X magnifier you can screw on when you need it.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-red-dot-scope

I have a couple of them and I have been very pleased with them. Even hitting 100 yard targets is easy without the magnifier.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

Something else to consider would be something like the 1-4X24 Millett DMS Tactical Scope
http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-S...bo-P42148.aspx

I also use a couple of these.

Black Rifle Forum

Black Rifle Forum

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 17:40   #29
dkf

I have a PRO but I think I am going to try a Vortex Sparc next time around. Should compliment a .22lr upper well. PSA and AIM recently had them for $150 which is a very good price.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 18:25   #30
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I have a PRO but I think I am going to try a Vortex Sparc next time around. Should compliment a .22lr upper well. PSA and AIM recently had them for $150 which is a very good price.
That is an excellent price. That would explain why they are sold out. I picked up mine at Academy Sports for $199.99.

Old 01-16-2014, 21:03   #31
dkf

Still on sale for $149.99 from PSA. The Strikefire is $119.99 Just checked.(link was not working)

Last edited by dkf; 01-16-2014 at 21:04..
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 21:33   #32
OdinIII

Send a message via ICQ to OdinIII
Quote:
Moderate magnification in a small scope is more of what Im looking for.
I'm a fan of the 1x-4x scopes on a general purpose AR. 3x or 4x is plenty for shooting smallish critters (coyotes or groundhogs) at a moderate range and 1x is plenty fast up close. I have a Burris MTAC but there are plenty of good choices from other manufacturers.

Good luck but be careful. ARs tend to multiply if not watched closely. Significant others also never believe that it "just showed up"!
OdinIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:42   #33
Crimsontide6

If you are just using it as a range toy, this scope is the **** for not a lot of money. It literally is identical to the Millett DMS1 in every way except for the reticle being a dot rather than a ring and it costing half as much. I have one on my 3 gun AR and I love it.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-...4X-p/pa14x.htm
Crimsontide6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 13:50   #34
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinIII View Post
I'm a fan of the 1x-4x scopes on a general purpose AR. 3x or 4x is plenty for shooting smallish critters (coyotes or groundhogs) at a moderate range and 1x is plenty fast up close. I have a Burris MTAC but there are plenty of good choices from other manufacturers.

Good luck but be careful. ARs tend to multiply if not watched closely. Significant others also never believe that it "just showed up"!
My go-to rifle/AR has a Trijicon TR24G (1-4x illuminated reticle)

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 13:55   #35
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Just picked one of those up last week,......have yet to get some range time with it. What distant pec did you sight it in?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 14:09   #36
jrs93accord

Quote:
The Trijicons are nice. I had a TR21 a while back that was mounted on a LaRue Tactical Stealth AR and loved it. Of course, you pay a good bit more for these. I then discovered the Millett DMS-1. Although not quite as sturdy as the TR21, performance wise, the DMS-1 does a heck of a good job. Excellent scope for an excellent price.

Last edited by jrs93accord; 01-17-2014 at 14:10..
Old 01-17-2014, 14:33   #37
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Just picked one of those up last week,......have yet to get some range time with it. What distant pec did you sight it in?
Currently I have it zero'd for 50 yards as this seems to give the maximum point blank (+/- ~2.5") range with most ammunition types in 16" 5.56/.223 rifles.

From there, using XM193/XM855 or PPU 75gr BTHP I can go up 16 clicks to be dead on at 25 yards or I can go down 8 clicks and be on at 100.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 01-17-2014 at 14:34..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 14:55   #38
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Currently I have it zero'd for 50 yards as this seems to give the maximum point blank (+/- ~2.5") range with most ammunition types in 16" 5.56/.223 rifles.

From there, using XM193/XM855 or PPU 75gr BTHP I can go up 16 clicks to be dead on at 25 yards or I can go down 8 clicks and be on at 100.

Exactly what I was thinking........appreciate the info.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 16:19   #39
Glocks n' Crocs

Just got back from shooting the Sport. Man that thing ran like a scolded dog! I fired the first round thinking that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the peephole style sight, but the jug just exploded at 20 yards. After the fist few shots I hot-rodded it. Emptied two 30 round mags nonstop back-to-back without a hiccup. Could not be more pleased with it. Best part of the whole experience was seeing my uncles face when he shot it. He hasn't fired on of these things since his Air force service days back in Vietnam.

Thank you all for the scope info. The more the merrier.
Old 01-18-2014, 20:02   #40
Cole125
Silver Membership

Buy good gun oil, SLIP 2000 EWL is the best for the AR platform. Buy PMAGs, and lots of them.

Keep the gun clean, but remember if you oil correctly with quality gun oil it should run like a top dirty or not.

Last edited by Cole125; 01-18-2014 at 20:03..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ar-15, s&w m&p15, sport