Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-14-2014, 13:36   #1
Glocks n' Crocs

New to AR-15. What Should I Know?

Just purchased my first AR-15 rifle, a S&W M&P Sport. Anything I should know about the platform?

Black Rifle Forum
Old 01-14-2014, 13:58   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks n' Crocs View Post
Just purchased my first AR-15 rifle, a S&W M&P Sport. Anything I should know about the platform?
Buy good mags and shoot it a lot.
Old 01-14-2014, 15:17   #3
Glocks n' Crocs

It came with a 30 round Magpul P-mag. At the shop I picked up another. Anyone else have the Sport? What do you think of it?
Old 01-14-2014, 15:24   #4
uzimon
team ftp

Quote:
It came with a 30 round Magpul P-mag. At the shop I picked up another. Anyone else have the Sport? What do you think of it?
I think it needs a fwd assist and dust cover but that can be remedied.
uzimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 16:09   #5
Scrappy

Well Im thinking about getting one myself. For $612 I think its a good buy.
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 17:19   #6
Glocks n' Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzimon View Post
I think it needs a fwd assist and dust cover but that can be remedied.
You are correct that it can be remedied (with a new upper). However for my purposes those things are unnecessary. If the gun jams I'm not gonna ratchet the bolt closed.
Old 01-14-2014, 17:52   #7
cyphertext

I have one and am rather fond of it for my use. Fun at the range and a good gun for hogs. A lot of fun with a red dot.
cyphertext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 17:59   #8
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
However for my purposes those things are unnecessary. If the gun jams I'm not gonna ratchet the bolt closed.
No no no no no no no no no!

Everyone, and I mean everyone needs a gun capable of whacking Hadjis at 600 meters. I don't care if your a granny in that weird purple hat club, a gay guy at a Pride parade or a priest at a NAMBLA convention. The lack of a forward assist means you're going to die in the 'Ghan wishin you also had a dust cover.

The chart makes it so.

Ok seriously, you're right, if this is just a range-fun gun and isn't going on secret missions it will more than suit your needs.

Last edited by DaleGribble; 01-14-2014 at 18:00..
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 18:36   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

Bought my sister one when they first came out after she decided she wanted her own AR. Its been a good little shooter. Pmags should be trouble free, the only other thing is to pick up some good lube, I use CLP, and run that sucker wet. As long as hers is well lubed she's never had a problem with it, took her a while to figure to out what well lubed means.

Hers has been a very accurate and reliable gun, enjoy it.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 18:57   #10
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
With the M&P sport selling at that price point why people still buy those POS Carbon 15s from BM is beyond me.

Last edited by dkf; 01-14-2014 at 18:58..
dkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 19:26   #11
WoodenPlank
Who?

Buy good lube. SLIP 2000 is my preference, and it has worked exceptionally well across several ARs and other firearms. Keep the bolt carrier group (especially gas rings) well lubed, but they do not need to be dripping.

Replace the gas rings on your bolt when they wear out - average of 2,000-3,000 rounds. If you can stand your entire bolt carrier group up on the bolt face, and the carrier slides down, it's time for new rings. Good bolts average 10,000 rounds.

If you plan to shoot steel cased ammo, pick up a good chamber brush. Steel cases don't swell as much as brass, and tend to leave more residue in the chamber. If that residue builds up too much, when you shoot brass cased ammo it can become stuck in the chamber and very difficult to extract.

Research common malfunctions in ARs, and how to fix them. Some are simple, and some are a real mother.

On that note, use good magazines. PMAGs are the gold standard for reliability. Most malfunctions in an AR are caused by crappy magazines.
Old 01-14-2014, 19:29   #12
PaLEOjd

Usually, you ask those type of questions before you buy. Good luck with it. Not a bad range gun.
Old 01-14-2014, 20:42   #13
fuzzy03cls

Quote:
I think it needs a fwd assist
I can count the # of times I have used mine....zero...Classes, hard running, it's a "feature" that needs to be did away with.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 20:42   #14
jrs93accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
It is a good buy. Like some others have mentioned, get some more good magazines (PMAGS are what I prefer), a good lube (I prefer Break Free lubricant/Protectorant), and a good cleaner (Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber). Additionally, get several hundred rounds of .223/5.56x45 55gr brass cased ammo (XM193). You may also want to get a couple hundred rounds of XM855/SS109 62gr ammo too.

A bad day shooting beats a great day working!
jrs93accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 21:10   #15
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
I can count the # of times I have used mine....zero...Classes, hard running, it's a "feature" that needs to be did away with.
It's a 'feature' that also wasn't in the original design.

The only time I have ever used the forward assist is when I slowly lowered the bolt to chamber a live round quietly, and tapped the FA to make sure it was fully in battery. As a rule, though, you should pull the charging handle all the way to the rear and let it slam home to chamber the first round.
Old 01-14-2014, 21:12   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The current S&W Sport is well worth the money. It isn't as good of a deal as it used to be, before they changed it, as it used to have a 1:8 twist melonite barrel with 5R rifling...but that was just too good of a deal so they had to lower the quality a bit to what it is now. Still good, just not as good as it was.

When in doubt, use more lube. It is essentially impossible to over lube the BCG.

Get more magazines. Magpul PMAG, Lancer L5 AWM, and quality USGI mags with Magpul followers (NHMTG, D&H, OKay, Labelle, Colt, etc) are the go-to mag options.

Get out and shoot it. Get instruction/training. Get more ammo. Shoot it some more.

IMO a dust cover is nice to have, and I would want all of my rifles to have one if possible. The forward assist isn't a big deal. You probably won't ever NEED either of those things.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 01-14-2014 at 21:13..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 23:34   #17
Reb 56

[QUOTE=Glocks n' Crocs;20924275]Just purchased my first AR-15 rifle, a S&W M&P Sport. Anything I should know about the platform?

One thing you can count on before your done adding all the optics, free float rail, up graded trigger and slings etc. You will have spent more on accessories than on the Rifle.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18   #18
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb 56 View Post
One thing you can count on before your done adding all the optics, free float rail, up graded trigger and slings etc. You will have spent more on accessories than on the Rifle.
Definitely.

At least if you buy a quality optic, this is likely to be true. Good glass is expensive. Always has been, probably always will be. That is often the bulk of the added money. But then the FCG, rail, weaponlight, etc, can be kinda pricey in their own right too.

My Colt 6920 is up to $3,500. And whenever the **** the ATF processes my stupid form 4 and gets my stamp back, and I swap the muzzle device + screw on the suppressor, the as-it-sits price will be more like $4,550.

That's, just...holy **** I need to get back to concentrating on handguns and handgun shooting more because Glocks just don't get that expensive!

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 01-15-2014 at 07:19..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:27   #19
itstime

Great choice. Keep her cleaned and lubed. And we'll fed.

Have fun and enjoy.

You don't need those things people are talking about. Smith was brulliant to come up with this at a lower cost. I don't think I've ever Aeneas someone using a fa.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18   #20
Reb 56

Does anyone have an AR for more than a month that hasn't added anything to it ?

Tags
ar-15, s&w m&p15, sport