Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:35   #1
Jer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Send a message via AIM to Jer Send a message via MSN to Jer
The Two Most Interesting New Handguns at SHOT Show This Year

And nope, it's not a single stack, pocket-size 9mm Glock to compete with the Shield, XDs, etc. like the buying public has been clamoring for for years. Believe it or not the two most innovative handguns are coming from Remington & Arsenal.

First up is the Remington R51 which is going to be a 9mm version of an old (early 1900's) but innovative even by today's standards action in a compact and well thought out package. Retail price will be below $400 and they claim it will be in dealers February 1st. You can bet your ass I'll have one of these sooner than later.
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

Up next is the Arsenal Strike One. This is a standard size frame handgun with lots of innovative designs and a few new patents. One design feature is the height of the slide over the frame is SUPER short. This coupled with an aggressive grip & standard size frame will make for a rapid shooter's wet dream due to the recoil mitigation it presents. It's been in production in various calibers for years now but never imported to the US. Arsenal claims we will see it in 9mm in this country this year. Price on this one is still not settled (sounds like sub $800) but assuming it's not too high I will own one of these also.
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

Neither of them is what I would consider very attractive or even aesthetically appealing until you dig into their design features. The beauty, much like my beloved Glock, is in the function.

Which brings me to my final point: As a self proclaimed Glock fanboi I'm saddened to report that with each passing year of Glock's inability to check the pulse of the consumer I'm an owner of more and more handguns by other manufacturers and becoming less and less of a Glock fanboi. Glock may have the lion's share of the market but their inability to adapt to the markets quickly (or at least at all) will be their eventual demise. Not a demise so much as eradicated from the face of the earth but they won't be the volume seller of handguns unless something changes at the corporate level. Market share is going to competition year after year of them not bothering to offer what it is the buying masses are flocking to in record numbers. It should be no surprise that the conceal carry crowd is growing at quickening rates and if Glock still thinks they're G17 (or even G19 these days) is the perfect carry weapon then they're more out of touch with reality than I thought. Their release of a single-stack .380 (Glock 42) to compete with the likes of the LCP and other 'pocket' 380's tells me they agree with this at least in part. Time to wake up Glock, your competitors are beating you at your own innovation game.

Tactical Commander - Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Last edited by Jer; 01-09-2014 at 08:06..
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46   #2
bac1023

Yeah, I look forward to hearing more about both of these pistols.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53   #3
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post
And nope, it's not a single stack, pocket-size 9mm Glock to compete with the Shield, XDs, etc. like the buying public has been clamoring for for years. Believe it or not the two most innovative handguns are coming from Ruger & Arsenal.

First up is the Ruger R51 which is going to be a 9mm version of an old (early 1900's) but innovative even by today's standards action in a compact and well thought out package. Retail price will be below $400 and they claim it will be in dealers February 1st. You can bet your ass I'll have one of these sooner than later.
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

Up next is the Arsenal Strike One. This is a standard size frame handgun with lots of innovative designs and a few new patents. One design feature is the height of the slide over the frame is SUPER short. This coupled with an aggressive grip & standard size frame will make for a rapid shooter's wet dream due to the recoil mitigation it presents. It's been in production in various calibers for years now but never imported to the US. Arsenal claims we will see it in 9mm in this country this year. Price on this one is still not settled (sounds like sub $800) but assuming it's not too high I will own one of these also.
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

Neither of them is what I would consider very attractive or even aesthetically appealing until you dig into their design features. The beauty, much like my beloved Glock, is in the function.

Which brings me to my final point: As a self proclaimed Glock fanboi I'm saddened to report that with each passing year of Glock's inability to check the pulse of the consumer I'm an owner of more and more handguns by other manufacturers and becoming less and less of a Glock fanboi. Glock may have the lion's share of the market but their inability to adapt to the markets quickly (or at least at all) will be their eventual demise. Not a demise so much as eradicated from the face of the earth but they won't be the volume seller of handguns unless something changes at the corporate level. Market share is going to competition year after year of them not bothering to offer what it is the buying masses are flocking to in record numbers. It should be no surprise that the conceal carry crowd is growing at quickening rates and if Glock still thinks they're G17 (or even G19 these days) is the perfect carry weapon then they're more out of touch with reality than I thought. Their release of a single-stack .380 (Glock 42) to compete with the likes of the LCP and other 'pocket' 380's tells me they agree with this at least in part. Time to wake up Glock, your competitors are beating you at your own innovation game.
Uhm...That "Ruger" R51 says REMINGTON on the side of it.....

As for the "StrikeOne", I'm not sure what it's going to do that a G-17 or an XD isn't, except cost almost twice as much.....
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54   #4
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
Uhm...That "Ruger" R51 says REMINGTON on the side of it.....

I didn't even notice the OP called it a Ruger. There's been so many threads on the Remington R51 already...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04   #5
M2 Carbine

I suspect I'll get the first Remington 51 I see.

I have no will power at all.
M2 Carbine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09   #6
mac66
Plant the seed

That R51 is big news LAST WEEK!

mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:16   #7
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
Gaack!
+1

Old 01-09-2014, 08:18   #8
itstime

At the price the Remington is coming in at I suspect I'll get it ASAP which may be the end of the year after they can't keep up with demand.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:23   #9
Wishoot

I don't see the Arsenal moving unless is priced more in the Glock/M&P/XD/CZ range. I can't imagine it's that much better of a gun to command a significantly higher price tag.
Wishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54   #10
southern thunder

Looking for an inexpensive 9mm. The Remington might fill the bill.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:26   #11
M&P15T
Beard One

Sadly, for me pistols are just not very interesting anymore.

I might by another pistol this year, and if I do, it will be a GEN4 G19......assuming they have worked the kinks out by now.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:43   #12
nathanours
Texan

That Arsenal doesn't cost much less than my CZ75 TS which also has a very low bore axis and is a much better gun. I'll definitely pass. The Remington looks really cool though.

General Firearms Forum

Black Rifle Club #1989
nathanours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:53   #13
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

I like the R51 with it's "old school meets modern materials in a bigger caliber" design. I'd like to see Colt do the same with the 1903 pocket hammerless.

Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55   #14
fastbolt

I'd be curious to learn where the R51 and its components are being made.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:55   #15
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
I don't see the Arsenal moving unless is priced more in the Glock/M&P/XD/CZ range. I can't imagine it's that much better of a gun to command a significantly higher price tag.
Yeah, its a bit hard for a new gun to break into the market with a high price tag.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:21   #16
WayneJessie

The Remington may sell but the Arsenal is doomed if the price is not in line with the heavy hitters here in the States. I understand the fact that the gun may offer some qualities that set it apart from others but multitudes of Smith, Glock, Springfield and Ruger customers are not going to pay more for a gun they know little about and has little aftermarket support. Even though the gun itself isn't new, the foul stench of the Caracal fiasco still lingers heavily in the air.
I more excited about the new brand patents Ruger has applied for. A new Combat line to be produced here in N.C. is the scuttlebutt.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:28   #17
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Yeah, the price on the Arsenal is steep. It still looks interesting to me, though; and I ask what kind of support it will have in terms of parts and magazines, sights and holsters.

In this charged political climate, I don't want any handgun with less than twelve of fifteen magazines. With the GLOCK, I know I can get them. With the Arsenal, who knows?
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53   #18
WarEagle32

Larry Vickers reviewed a pistol just like that Arsenal when he was in Russia on TAC TV. Looks like a nice pistol. However, I don't see much of an advantage (if any) with it over a Glock, even though he liked it a lot!
WarEagle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:54   #19
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Agree on the R51. Not so much the other thing.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:05   #20
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
I'd be curious to learn where the R51 and its components are being made.
South Carolina.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arsenal, glock, handgun, remington, shot