Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-23-2013, 23:41   #1
badge315

Safe to shoot this ammo?

I recently acquired a fair amount of 7mm Magnum ammo...about 240 rounds of late 1980s vintage Remington 175 gr. PSP Core-Lokt. A good bit of it had some light corrosion on the cases (now I wish I had taken a 'before' picture). Most were still packed in their original styrofoam blocks, but the cardboard boxes were gone (notice how most of the discoloration occurs on the portion of the cartridge case that protruded from the packing). After about an hour or so in the tumbler, this is fairly representative of what most of them look like; they feel smooth to the touch.

General Firearms Forum

These are representative of rounds that exhibited a somewhat higher level of corrosion, after a similar amount of time in the tumbler; they also feel smooth to the touch.

General Firearms Forum

So what do you guys think, is this ammo safe to shoot? If it makes any difference, I'd be shooting it though a Savage bolt gun.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 23:46   #2
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

My opinion is that as long as the metal isn't damaged beyond cosmetics, it would be fine to shoot. From what I can see, they look fine.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:11   #3
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

I would say they look fine to shoot as well. Doesn't look like any heavy corrosion was done.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18   #4
arnold ziffle
aka dingle

Tumbling live rounds will change the burning rate of the powder. I would not shoot it.

as told to me by an inmate "you can't touch me there you're not my uncle"
arnold ziffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:20   #5
hunter 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold ziffle View Post
Tumbling live rounds will change the burning rate of the powder. I would not shoot it.
Yeah it breaks up the powder .... makes it finer fast burning ....pitch it
Before you did that it was fine
Next time use some brasso and a rag

Last edited by hunter 111; 12-24-2013 at 07:21..
hunter 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:13   #6
ede
Bama's Friend

If you're worried about the condition of the powder pull the bullet and refill with new powder. I'd shoot them as is, good chance I'd of shot them with not much cleaning.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:25   #7
badge315

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter 111 View Post
Yeah it breaks up the powder .... makes it finer fast burning ....pitch it
My research indicates that that is essentially an old wive's tale; plenty of people (including commercial reloaders) have tumbled live ammo with no ill effects. Conversely, I've never heard of anyone having a KB with tumbled ammo.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:48   #8
glockrod
NRA-Endow. Life

Tsunami of misinformation.

Ammo manufacturers routinely tumble new loaded ammo. What makes this so different?

Here is the big concern - How was it stored?
If it was in a storage barn for the last 30 years with wild temperature changes, it might not be good as this situation causes the primers and the powder to break down.
If it was stored in a temperature controlled closet in the guy's house, it is likely fine.

There are folks still reloading using components from WWII.

Shoot it, unless you are concerned. If you reload, just use the bullets and brass. You may even be able to reuse the primers already in it.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:49   #9
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge315 View Post
My research indicates that that is essentially an old wive's tale; plenty of people (including commercial reloaders) have tumbled live ammo with no ill effects. Conversely, I've never heard of anyone having a KB with tumbled ammo.
If you are comfortable with the above, shoot it. If you do shoot it, you could put your mind at ease one way or another by chronographing the first 2-3 rounds to see how its behaving in terms of velocity and I would carefully examine each of these first 2-3 cases and primers after firing.

If everything is behaving according to specs, I would carry on. If you see red flags, ditch it.

Last edited by Kentucky Shooter; 12-24-2013 at 08:52..
Kentucky Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:17   #10
Johnny Ringo

I have quite a bit of old to very old ammo and I shoot it all. I have never had a problem. In fact, the only problem I've ever had was with BNIB ammo. Three years ago, I purchased a box of Hornady 270 ammo in which three rounds in a row delayed at least three seconds before going bang. I discovered this in the field with an Axis buck in my scope. He'd just been in a fight with another buck and had a couple of broken ribs and some torn velvet on his antlers. After the second "CLICK...3...2...1...BANG!" the buck slowly trotted off. Thirty minutes later, after much cursing of my luck, the buck reappeared off to my left and I thought, "Okay, if the ammo delays this time, I'll just leave the cross hairs on him." Said buck now hangs on my wall, in case you were wondering how I knew he had broken ribs. I checked the gun with other ammo and it performed as expected - zero delay.

While I do not profess to be an expert of any kind when it comes to ammo, I will say that I've never heard of any storage condition or handling of ammo that would actually make it a "hotter" round (as in the discussion of tumbling your ammo causing the burn rate on your powder to increase). I would tend to agree with Glock19Fan in that it will likely be fine to shoot as long as the integrity of the cases isn't compromised from excessive corrosion. I have some pretty ugly looking stuff, including several boxes of old yellow box Western 7mm Mag and it's all performed fine. If a round looks just too sad, I'll save it for a rainy day...

One idea is to strap your rifle to the bench and use a string to pull the trigger from a distant point of heavy cover. I'm afraid your "groups" might not be up to your standards, but at least you'll know for sure.
Johnny Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:33   #11
Merkavaboy
Code-7A KUZ769

Light tarnish (pantina) on brass cases is nothing to worry about. Some Brasso and light elbow grease will shine them right up.
Merkavaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:42   #12
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

It's fine. Shoot it.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 15:31   #13
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
None of it is any good, the above poster was absolutely right, the powder is now too fast burning, and could blow up your rifle.

If you send it to me, I'd be happy to dispose of it, and return the brass to you, so you could re-use it.

In all reality, the ammo is fine. I tumble all my ammo post hunting season to return the brass to its shiny state after its been out in the elements.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 15:46   #14
garya1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold ziffle View Post
Bull, I know of people who tumbled ammo for hours and it didn't affect the burn rate at all. From what I've read most commercial ammo is tumbled before it's packaged anyway. I shoot military surplus that has been trucked all around the world for years and it shoots fine.

BTW- don't use Brasso or any other chemical on the brass, it may harden the brass. If you see pink corrosion or badly pitted brass don't shoot it but regular old tarnish doesn't hurt anything.

Last edited by garya1961; 12-24-2013 at 15:55..
garya1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 15:56   #15
Bruce M

I might give the first four or five to someone else to shoot first
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 15:56   #16
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

I think the tumbling myth may be true for black powder or something without a strong binder in it but smokeless powder is pretty tough and its grain size wont easily be changed.
Old 12-24-2013, 20:44   #17
Sigobsessed

I would shoot it I've tumbled tarnished ammo before I'm still in one piece.
Old 12-24-2013, 21:41   #18
mj9mm

dad still shoots a few surplus '40 something '06 ammo every year before deer hunting. I wonder how much he had and how much is still in the basement.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:57   #19
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I might give the first four or five to someone else to shoot first

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:05   #20
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
DirtyThirty fan

General Firearms Forum
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7mm magnum, ammo, corrosion