Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2013, 20:32   #41
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenforme View Post
This may seem controversial but I really don't see point of carrying while riding.

IMHO a bike will get you out of a bad situation faster than a gun can be drawn.

Drawing while riding is never going to end well.

So you would need to be stopped for the gun to ave any value - but you need both hands to control a stationary bike (unless you put it in neutral - at which point you have just trapped yourself).

So why would you carry a gun when going some place in your car? Makes as much sense as this rant.

Do you think people get on their motorcycle and just ride around non-stop until they get home? That will come as a surprise to the guys who go for rides that last weeks at a time.

And, no, you don't need both hands to control a motorcycle, moving or stationary.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:17   #42
dregotglock
CHL Instructor

I ride a cruiser not a rocket -

I have found the easiest way to carry concealed is with a vest or jacket.

Many have conceal carry pockets built in for just such a need.

Having the gun in a vest conceal pocket also helps to prevent road rash normally on a hip or pelvis area during a slide. I prefer leather but have had excellent mileage with man made jackets with padding.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38   #43
captcurly

When riding my motorrad I carry my LCP in my jkt. pocket. I use an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I usually carry a spare mag also. Merry Christmas to all at GTand your families.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:59   #44
Cherokee Slim

I made a holster that completely filled up the right inside pocket of my mc jacket. Filled up as in a flat rectangular heavy piece of leather with a kydex holster mounted on it for a medium frame auto. Since the leather completely filled the dimensions of the pocket there was no movement at all. I tried X15's and Miami Vice type shoulder rigs but one way or another they always moved back out of reach when riding.
Cherokee Slim
Cherokee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 14:12   #45
SpringerTGO

My favorite motorcycle handgun is my Keltec P3AT. Weather often changes around here, and the Keltec is cheap enough that I don't have to worry if it gets soaked. Typical riding gear has plenty of pockets for it. The S&W 340 makes a great bike gun too, because it's very durable, weather resistant, and hides pretty much anywhere the Keltec will.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 15:49   #46
Fobus Holsters

we didn't try the "Road Rash Test"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Shark View Post
Road rash "eats" away the holster, now leaving exposed weapon would be my guess.
While we didn't try the "Road Rash Test" We did try several others and couldn't break it (until we used TNT).

Take a look

Fobus Customer Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

[IMAGES]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
[/IMAGES]

Last edited by Fobus Holsters; 01-20-2014 at 18:29.. Reason: bad html
Fobus Holsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 20:21   #47
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Once I pulled up to a stop sign on the way to a club called The Pegasus Lounce

You do know that carrying in a bar is against the law in Florida.

Don't you?

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-23-2013 at 20:22..
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 22:35   #48
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesee View Post
You do know that carrying in a bar is against the law in Florida.

Don't you?
In the portion of such establishment primarily devoted to the sale and consumption of alcohol.

I just spitballed that one so some of the verbiage may be a little off. But the next time you want to ask me whether I know my state's firearms laws...well...don't.

Also, motorcycles have storage space.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 00:37   #49
cornerexit

I ride a couple of fast bikes and on either it would have to be a shoulder holster or in the tank bag because I ride fully geared up in a race suit, one or two piece, or a Stitch in the winter. Jeans don't protect a thing so it's full armored leather or the Stitch or I stay home.

Talked to a guy once who carried on his Harley. Carried a 1911. He went down once and landed on the gun. It help shatter his hip or was the cause of it. No thanks.

My local turf is all twisties so I don't worry about it there, it's remote, farm country. When I leave my area for sport touring I have a gun with me in a tank bag but never on my person. We ride hard so leaning all day, and while we all have track time under our belts and each has well over a decade of experience landing on a gun would not be pleasant for the body. I use fully armored race gloves for protection and if you wear something similar you should really try doing some presentations with them. Far from any easy task and I wouldn't recommend it. Motorcycle gloves tend to be thick and precurved, and none of that makes a good firearm glove. For me, I've tried it plenty and it's an AD waiting to happen just trying to fit the glove inside the trigger guard.

Put me in the camp of wanting it only for when I dismount the motorcycle. While riding it just about has no purpose as my hands need to be on the bars until a complete stop. Not to mention riding requires both hands and feet for functionality. I suppose you could bang it in to neutral and use your rear brake to slow while you draw.....but you'd go down almost guaranteed. Instead I'll use the throttle and bail. I've never run from LEO's but if anyone other than LEO was coming after I have no doubt or fear of dropping them, quickly. Not much out there could keep up. Track time has its advantages.
cornerexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14   #50
English

Well said on all points. I was just about to comment that no one has mentioned the danger of coming off and landing on the pistol, especially with a waist level holster against pelvis or spine. I would think front and center or just possibly shoulder holster to be the safest.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:04   #51
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

I carry in a regular belt mounted holster, pretty much all the time. My favorite Taylor's motor jacket has BUG pockets, but I rarely use them.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:13   #52
plumbum2

I'm waiting for someone to post some go pro footage of them practicing doing drive bys on their motorcycle....lmao

Truth be told all that would have to happen is gunsite or some school to offer a class in it and "everyone" would think it's ok...
plumbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:29   #53
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
In the portion of such establishment primarily devoted to the sale and consumption of alcohol.

I just spitballed that one so some of the verbiage may be a little off. But the next time you want to ask me whether I know my state's firearms laws...well...don't.

Also, motorcycles have storage space.

You are very close on the language. You may know the laws, but you are disregarding them...

What part of the Pegasus Lounge is not devoted to the selling of alcohol? I think you would have a difficult time passing the "rational man test" on that.

http://www.pegasusniteclub.com/
http://www.pegasusniteclub.com/index...to-gallery.htm
from their site:
"PEGASUS LOUNGE is a full service liquor bar"

Nice try though.
LOL....

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-24-2013 at 10:37..
Old 12-24-2013, 10:56   #54
WT

Knock it off. Get off your high horse.

We're trying to talk about motorcycle carry. Not the interpretation of some law.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:08   #55
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Knock it off. Get off your high horse.

We're trying to talk about motorcycle carry. Not the interpretation of some law.

It is relevant because I ride (a lot).

I don't carry when I ride because I know at some point I may stop in for a beer. I will not leave a gun on a bike. There is no safe place to do so. And, there is no private way to take the gun off and move it even if you did.

This guy admitted to going to a bar carrying.

I have no respect for biker BBA walking in a bar with a gun.

It isn't just stupid. It is illegal in Florida.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-24-2013 at 11:20..
Old 12-24-2013, 11:16   #56
tenforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerexit View Post
I ride a couple of fast bikes and on either it would have to be a shoulder holster or in the tank bag because I ride fully geared up in a race suit, one or two piece, or a Stitch in the winter. Jeans don't protect a thing so it's full armored leather or the Stitch or I stay home.

Talked to a guy once who carried on his Harley. Carried a 1911. He went down once and landed on the gun. It help shatter his hip or was the cause of it. No thanks.

My local turf is all twisties so I don't worry about it there, it's remote, farm country. When I leave my area for sport touring I have a gun with me in a tank bag but never on my person. We ride hard so leaning all day, and while we all have track time under our belts and each has well over a decade of experience landing on a gun would not be pleasant for the body. I use fully armored race gloves for protection and if you wear something similar you should really try doing some presentations with them. Far from any easy task and I wouldn't recommend it. Motorcycle gloves tend to be thick and precurved, and none of that makes a good firearm glove. For me, I've tried it plenty and it's an AD waiting to happen just trying to fit the glove inside the trigger guard.

Put me in the camp of wanting it only for when I dismount the motorcycle. While riding it just about has no purpose as my hands need to be on the bars until a complete stop. Not to mention riding requires both hands and feet for functionality. I suppose you could bang it in to neutral and use your rear brake to slow while you draw.....but you'd go down almost guaranteed. Instead I'll use the throttle and bail. I've never run from LEO's but if anyone other than LEO was coming after I have no doubt or fear of dropping them, quickly. Not much out there could keep up. Track time has its advantages.
That's exactly where I was coming from with my comment. I ride the same way, 2 fast bikes ATGATT and lots of track time under my belt.

If I'm touring sure, I might have a weapon stored in/on the bike but I don't need or want one strapped to me if I come off.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:11   #57
cornerexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenforme View Post
That's exactly where I was coming from with my comment. I ride the same way, 2 fast bikes ATGATT and lots of track time under my belt.

If I'm touring sure, I might have a weapon stored in/on the bike but I don't need or want one strapped to me if I come off.
Well all I can say is that there are those of us who have been down. Landing on a firearm is something I'm not going to chance. I take ATGATT very seriously and it's just not possible to strap a firearm to myself with any kind of safety under a suit.
I think those who ATGATT and who are heavily experienced, well it just presents more issues than prevents. But I will say I don't commute anymore and generally don't do any riding around town. Twisties most of the time with a track day here and there.

If someone could design some large and thorough hip armor, large enough to accommodate a G26. It would have to be larger than the firearm itself. Then you could use something like a wilderness safepacker on the outside of the suit. But then you'd still have the problem of a presentation with your throttle hand which isn't advisable and just not realistic.

Like you said, on a sport touring trip I'd want something with me, for PM, when the bikes are parked, but then again I pull mine into the motel room and sleep with it at the foot of the bed

Keep the shiny side up gents.
cornerexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:15   #58
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

It would never occur to me to not have one on. I'm agonizing right now on whether to go from a German sport tourer to a new Yamaha FJR or a 2012 road king with 1500 miles. Maint costs will be dramatically lower long term with the Yamaha, but the RK is sure pretty. Either way, gun stays on me. Not that its a critical need.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 12-24-2013 at 12:16..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:28   #59
Jonesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
It would never occur to me to not have one on. I'm agonizing right now on whether to go from a German sport tourer to a new Yamaha FJR or a 2012 road king with 1500 miles. Maint costs will be dramatically lower long term with the Yamaha, but the RK is sure pretty. Either way, gun stays on me. Not that its a critical need.

First, FJR's kicked ass in the Iron Butt Rally this year. Great bike.

But, why do you think long term costs are higher on the Harley.
I've owned japanese and Harley. The Harley has been cheaper.

My next bike will be back to a Japanese sport tourer just because I have a somewhat unique need for one.

Harley has no chain maintence and replacement, or sprocket replacement. No valve adjustments. Very simple to work on. 3 holes for lube and go again.

I do all my own wrenching so expense doesn't drive my decisions, but Harley has been the easiest on upkeep and repairs I have had.

And, many decades ago (late 70s-early 80s) I took a bike over a car on the highway. When you hit the highway in a wreck you have no idea or control over what is happening. I would not want a gun on me. In my wreck, the bike came over with me and ran over me and I never knew it until I got out of the hospital and saw the tire tracks across my chest. Wouldn't have wanted a gun anywhere near that mayhem.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-24-2013 at 12:39..
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41   #60
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

With a quality holster, it's not going to make a big difference compared to other factors (vehicles) in a crash. I've seen a guy come out of a crash with the butt worn off his revolver, at least at an angle. No one cared that the duty weapon took the hit instead of his hip. I ride a lot of miles. Over 80-100K, my inexpert non-direct-experience Al-Gore driven research has led me to believe that a japanese bike is less likely to require major repair over that kind of mileage than HD. I don't do anything myself except fluid changes. All I know is that I'm having too many problems out of my BMW, and parts are just too high. Not to mention when small things break, as often as not, the replacement has to come from germany, not from a warehouse the next state over. Thanks for your experiences. Gun and bike.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 12-24-2013 at 12:42..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carry, motorcycle, rc51, riding