Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2013, 23:25   #21
r3dot

How do you get shot in the chest if it's in your pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:57   #22
WT

Dan - who trained you to shoot while riding a motorcycle? Our local PD does not allow motor officers to shoot while riding. Too much liability.

I ride with a thumb break OWB holster, 4:00 o'clock position. My cut covers it.

I understand the G26 without a round in the chamber when NOT using a holster. If the rider goes down for some reason and the G26 gets loose something could catch the trigger and fire off a round.
WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:11   #23
Jaykwish

I don't ride a sport bike I ride a harley so my shirt doesn't fly up and I wear a super tuck with a g27 and it serves me well. I have seen at motorcycle rallies they have riding vests and jackets with holsters built in that may be an option, I hope someone didn't already suggest that, but definitely make sure whatever you choose it has good retention, like a previous poster said you don't want to lose your pistol.
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:32   #24
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

When I ride, I use my Miami Classic shoulder holster under a light jacket.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:39   #25
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
I carry a little S&W 32 H&R magnum j frame with crimson trace grip (hard plastic type) in my right inside jacket or vest pocket. If riding a motorcycle and shooting I need to use weak hand as right hand runs the throttle.
You really think you'll be firing from a moving motorcycle? Too many movies, man.
Danny Butterman: Have you ever fired two guns whilst jumping through the air?
Nicholas Angel: No.
Danny Butterman: Have you ever fired one gun whilst jumping through the air?
Nicholas Angel: No.
Danny Butterman: Ever been in a high-speed pursuit?
Nicholas Angel: Yes, I have.
Danny Butterman: Have you ever fired a gun whilst in a high speed pursuit?
Nicholas Angel: No!
--Hot Fuzz, 2007
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:03   #26
BKMeyers

motorcycle carry

I carry while riding but our seated/riding positions are very different as I ride a Road King. I carry a G19 and I've used either a Fobus paddle holster or a Tagua owb belt holster . Have had no issues with the weapon working loose.

Both holsters are right handed. I've thought of getting a weak (left) side holster but quite frankly my muscle memory probably wouldn't "recognize" it.

For cover I usually wear a leather vest or jacket.

BK
BKMeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:17   #27
RSD

When I've carried on my bikes, it's usually been with a strong side IWB and occasionally OWB holster. My Jacket is a Vanson that is a bit longer in the back, and does just fine concealing. I've thought about one of their "traditional" police jackets with the built in firearm breast pocket.

FWIW, I ride a '74 BMW, and a '69 Norton.
RSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 15:50   #28
tenforme

This may seem controversial but I really don't see point of carrying while riding.

IMHO a bike will get you out of a bad situation faster than a gun can be drawn.

Drawing while riding is never going to end well.

So you would need to be stopped for the gun to ave any value - but you need both hands to control a stationary bike (unless you put it in neutral - at which point you have just trapped yourself).

tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 16:21   #29
RSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenforme View Post
This may seem controversial but I really don't see point of carrying while riding.

A motorcycle is a method of transportation just like a car. Do you only plan to shoot from your car when you carry while driving?
RSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 16:39   #30
BKMeyers

carry

Quote:

So you would need to be stopped for the gun to ave any value - but you need both hands to control a stationary bike (unless you put it in neutral - at which point you have just trapped yourself).

Not controversial to me but perhaps not the reason I carry.

I don't carry while on my motorcycle thinking that while I'm moving I'm going to have to draw my pistol. I don't carry in my car thinking that while driving I'm going to have to draw my pistol. Can these situations happen?? Yes. Can a situation such as this be delayed and or avoided. Again yes.

When I get off the bike or out of the car I am armed. I'm not opening a saddlebag and then getting my pistol out, while at the same time trying to stay aware of my surroundings and/or those individuals who may be watching. I'm not reaching into a glove compartment or reaching for a holster because my pistol is already being worn and is on my person. I'm not having to raise my cover garment to holster my pistol thereby telegraphing to someone watching me that "hey that guy just drew a pistol".

BK
BKMeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 17:43   #31
ranger1968

Quote:

Who said anything about shooting from the bike?

You are using the bike the same way as you use a car- to GET someplace; once you are there, (wherever "there" may be) being armed is just sensible....What are you gonna do, leave your pistol home because you rode your motorcycle?
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 18:06   #32
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:

10:30PM on a Thursday night on the way to meet my brother at the titty club, I'm at the Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) on Hillsborough Avenue next to the Applebee's. Why do I remember every detail of it?

Because my motorcycle was turned off, kickstand down, and I was at the ATM getting money. Guy came up around the building walking up behind me in the drive-through only ATM lane looking to mug me. It was pretty easy to draw my IWB pistol and let him inspect the barrel. He put his hands up and ran away.

Although, you're right. A bike can get you out of a bad situation. Once I pulled up to a stop sign on the way to a club called The Pegasus Lounce, IIRC, and a crackhead took off running from the sidewalk up to my bike. I nailed it and he missed me by less than 6 feet. However, had he connected, I would've been on the ground next to, potentally under, my bike and he would've been standing over me. Thankful I had my gun that night even though I didn't need it.

Last edited by John Rambo; 12-22-2013 at 18:06..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 18:09   #33
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
How's he gonna get "shot in the chest", unless he somehow pulls the trigger? the pistol's not gonna fire unless the trigger gets pulled....
Do you understand what happens when you go sliding down a road with potential hazards at 50+MPH? Lots of ways for that trigger to get snagged. Not saying it would, but it could, with just a bit more likelihood than the guy at Starbucks bumping into you. Which, for that matter, isn't to say that an IWB gun wouldn't get snagged and go off. But I'd rather have it pointing at my ass than my chest.

Last edited by John Rambo; 12-22-2013 at 18:14..
Old 12-22-2013, 18:33   #34
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Do you understand what happens when you go sliding down a road with potential hazards at 50+MPH? Lots of ways for that trigger to get snagged. Not saying it would, but it could, with just a bit more likelihood than the guy at Starbucks bumping into you. Which, for that matter, isn't to say that an IWB gun wouldn't get snagged and go off. But I'd rather have it pointing at my ass than my chest.
Actually, I do understand quite a bit about the physics of what occurs during various crashes, to include taking a low-side slideout on a bike; what I don't understand is exactly how a pistol that is in a pocket holster (and anybody who is foolish enough to not use some type of pocket holster if they are carrying in a pocket may want to rethink that concept) in a pocket, especially a front pocket , is going to wind up causing their pistol to discharge.... How is something going to "get in there" during the slide?
Old 12-22-2013, 18:36   #35
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Actually, I do understand quite a bit about the physics of what occurs during various crashes, to include taking a low-side slideout on a bike; what I don't understand is exactly how a pistol that is in a pocket holster (and anybody who is foolish enough to not use some type of pocket holster if they are carrying in a pocket may want to rethink that concept) in a pocket, especially a front pocket , is going to wind up causing their pistol to discharge.... How is something going to "get in there" during the slide?
If all you do is slide, then the chances are minimal, and you're a very lucky person likely with some very high quality gear. We don't need to go into accident pictures, but people get all kinds of interesting injuries when they take a tumble at speeds. Its just one less thing to worry about, in my book.
Old 12-22-2013, 18:37   #36
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

Quote:
Road rash "eats" away the holster, now leaving exposed weapon would be my guess.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms." --Thomas Jefferson

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Last edited by Gun Shark; 12-22-2013 at 18:38..
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 18:47   #37
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Shark View Post
Road rash "eats" away the holster, now leaving exposed weapon would be my guess.
Right; and now you may or may not have a pistol sliding down the road; not great, and it's gonna be hell on the finish, but I believe the likihood of something getting into the trigger guard at the correct angle and depressing the trigger as the pistol slides along in such a way that it causes the gun to fire is remote in the extreme; the possibility of all of that happening, the pistol going off, and the rider actually being hit is more remote still....

And when you couple that with the fact that almost all the road rash injuries I have ever seen (and I've seen a bunch) were knees, back,, shoulder, hand, side, butt, and hip; I don't think I've ever seen someone with road rash on the front of their thigh where their front pocket is; It's possible, and I am sure it has happened, but again, the likelihood is far less than that of the other wound positions....

As for impact, well, if you can show me how the impact from a crash can cause a pistol that is in a holster to fire, I will be a believer; if you're hitting something that hard, you have other problems....

What I'm saying is, the argument for carrying on an empty chamber for this reason simply doesn't hold much water given the circumstances involved.

Last edited by ranger1968; 12-22-2013 at 18:48..
Old 12-22-2013, 19:44   #38
Bruce M

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Dan - who trained you to shoot while riding a motorcycle? Our local PD does not allow motor officers to shoot while riding. Too much liability.

I am not sure that shooting from the moving bike is taught but shooting from the motor and motor officer shooting courses seem to be more common.

http://www.galvestonpolice.net/training/?p=28
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 19:47   #39
copo9560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
When I ride, I use my Miami Classic shoulder holster under a light jacket.

x2 - great holster under a jacket.
copo9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 20:02   #40
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by copo9560 View Post
x2 - great holster under a jacket.
That is a great holster; very classy, very functional, very nicely made.

Tags
carry, motorcycle, rc51, riding