Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-19-2013, 20:48   #1
Citadel15L

Carry while riding a motorcycle

I am about to buy another motorcycle, my first since I have turned 21 and began carrying, and I was wondering what some of your opinions on carrying while riding are. I am looking at a Honda RC51. That's a sport bike so it's an aggressive, forward leaning position. Right now I carry with a glock 19 in an IWB galco holster. I don't think it will be an issue at all. I was just curious of some experiences you guys have had and if you have any tips.
Old 12-19-2013, 20:58   #2
Bruce M

IWB for a while now and through a dozen states or so but I sit upright. I am far too old to lean forward for more than a minute or three.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 21:01   #3
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

As far as I'm concerned, carrying while riding is no different than carrying while doing any other activity.

That being said, I always give consideration to my method of carry depending on any given activities.

In short, find what works for you and dress accordingly.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 21:14   #4
Bren
NRA Life Member

I carry all sorts of ways on my motorcycle - Glock in an IWB holstder. S&W J frame in a shoulder holster or jacket pocket. Walther PPK in a shoulder holseter, jacket pocket, IWB or ankle holster, Kel Tec P3At in jacket pocket, etc. Any way you can carry off the motorcycle, you can carry on it, but I don't ride a sport bike.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 21:21   #5
yamen1999

Most sport bike riders I've seen have a problem with their shirt blowing up their back due to the angle they are sitting on the bike. I ride a cruiser and wear untucked button down mechanic shirts and I have no problem. I carry a G21 IWB at 4 o-clock.
yamen1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 21:25   #6
r3dot

As a sport bike rider, I've never carried on the bike. I've carried a j frame in the storage but that's about it. Too much hassle, and I usually wear 1pc leathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 21:29   #7
unit1069

I haven't owned a motorcycle in decades but I fail to see the problem of carrying while riding one. I grant you that in hot summer months special care should be taken but when weather mandates layering of clothing I don't understand why concealment would pose a difficulty.
Old 12-19-2013, 21:37   #8
danattherock

I carry a little S&W 32 H&R magnum j frame with crimson trace grip (hard plastic type) in my right inside jacket or vest pocket. If riding a motorcycle and shooting I need to use weak hand as right hand runs the throttle.

So think about your intended usage and then decide on strong versus weak hand. I got laser so I could shoot without 'aiming' if on the road. The hard plastic crimson slips out of pocket better than the rubber version. Lots of common sense thoughts like that guided my decisions.

Small of back is no good on sport bike. IWB could be uncomfortable bent over. What kind of goober would wear a fanny pack on a motorcycle? Geesh. I would get a high quality desantis or galco shoulder rig, Miami II or NY rig if I recall is what I got for hiking and fly fishing trips in Alaska for use with my G20. Sweet rig and very comfortable. Less ideal in summer as you wouldn't likely be wearing clothes over it.

However, in your case it would be accessible irregardless of your body position. Tough nut to crack though. I can see what has you scratching your head.

Dan

Last edited by danattherock; 12-19-2013 at 21:38..
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 21:56   #9
Citadel15L

Quote:
Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
If riding a motorcycle and shooting I need to use weak hand as right hand runs the throttle.
That's a great point that I didn't think about. I would probably choose to keep my gun on my right hip because I would not want to have it on my left when I reached my location and resumed normal activity. I also think I would be better off riding away from a dangerous situation as fast as I can with both hands than trying to pull some sort of GTA V stunt and shoot and ride at the same time. But I guess it's nice to have the option.
Old 12-19-2013, 22:05   #10
JDA58

I would use something with a Thumb Break..for peace of mind..I would hate to get home with an empty holster..
JDA58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 00:24   #11
Nest

I know a few guys who carry on sport bikes. One has his in a bag that straps on the gas tank. Unfortunately that means he has to remove it when get gets to where he is going. Most put it in a backpack that they usually wear anyways. A couple just wear it on their hip and if it shows, it shows.
Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:11   #12
RGbiker

In Arizona we riders OC during summer months and CC in jacket or coat pocket during cooler months.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:29   #13
SCmasterblaster

BTW, is it possible to draw a pistol while driving a motorcycle? Are both hands needed on the handlebar?
Old 12-20-2013, 19:21   #14
plumbum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
BTW, is it possible to draw a pistol while driving a motorcycle? Are both hands needed on the handlebar?
technically no. have you ever ridden a bicycle with no hands? same effect. but the higher the speed the easier it is.

well, i didnt want to say anything, but once i did have an ecnounter while riding and there is video evidence....

plumbum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 22:06   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Congrats on the RC51. That's a sweet mamajama.

I've carried my snubbies inside the riding jacket pocket. If it were an aggressive riding day in the plan then the snubbies would to into a tank bag. Actually the tail section of my Ztuono can take a snubbie or pocket pistol.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 12-20-2013, 22:16   #16
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamen1999 View Post
Most sport bike riders I've seen have a problem with their shirt blowing up their back due to the angle they are sitting on the bike. I ride a cruiser and wear untucked button down mechanic shirts and I have no problem. I carry a G21 IWB at 4 o-clock.
They should be wearing a proper riding jacket, and that won't happen;

I ride about 150 miles round trip per day on a sport bike, with a G-23 in an HH Holsters Ranger Rig http://www.hhholsters.com/

And G-27 in a pocket holster with carpenter jeans; the pistols are never exposed, no matter how I ride, and I'm perfectly comfortable.

I'm doing this in Florida, where it's Summer all year, so it's do-able pretty much anywhere.

If you dress properly, and around the firearm, you will never have a problem.

Last edited by ranger1968; 12-20-2013 at 22:17..
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 22:23   #17
uzimon
team ftp

I rode a busa with a 26 in my front pocket, empty chamber
uzimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 22:39   #18
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzimon View Post
I rode a busa with a 26 in my front pocket, empty chamber
Why an empty chamber?
Old 12-20-2013, 23:22   #19
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
Why an empty chamber?
Eating **** on a bike is bad enough without getting shot in the chest in the process, I reckon.

I carry IWB strong side and never had a problem, but I ride cruisers.

Last edited by John Rambo; 12-20-2013 at 23:22..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 23:24   #20
ranger1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post
Eating **** on a bike is bad enough without getting shot in the chest in the process, I reckon.

I carry IWB strong side and never had a problem, but I ride cruisers.

How's he gonna get "shot in the chest", unless he somehow pulls the trigger? the pistol's not gonna fire unless the trigger gets pulled....

Tags
carry, motorcycle, rc51, riding