Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2013, 15:49   #1
Jaykwish

Lead ammo being banned( or so they say)

I just read on Fox News that lead ammunition is in the process of being banned. I guess tree huggers say that it pollutes and that it kills eagles and different types of birds so they want to switch to "green" copper bullets. Copper being more expensive how much do you think a box of pistol ammo is going to be? I hope these idiots don't get their way I'm tired of paying $22 for a box of winchester white box .40. I can only imagine what an all copper bullet would do to prices. Does anyone think this lead bullet ban will happen?
Jaykwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 17:06   #2
gatorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykwish View Post
I just read on Fox News that lead ammunition is in the process of being banned. I guess tree huggers say that it pollutes and that it kills eagles and different types of birds so they want to switch to "green" copper bullets. Copper being more expensive how much do you think a box of pistol ammo is going to be? I hope these idiots don't get their way I'm tired of paying $22 for a box of winchester white box .40. I can only imagine what an all copper bullet would do to prices. Does anyone think this lead bullet ban will happen?
Already law for hunting in California I'm pretty certain. Saw a show where they knew some immigrants were trying to poach (deer/hog) in central coastal ca. Could not prove it but they got a ticket for having lead ammo if I remember correctly.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 17:21   #3
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

They are obviously trying a back door approach to gun bans. They can't get the guns, they'll outlaw the ammo.

Next your cache of ammo will be illegal.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 18:55   #4
Arnold Kuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretefuzzynuts View Post
They are obviously trying a back door approach to gun bans. They can't get the guns, they'll outlaw the ammo.

Next your cache of ammo will be illegal.
The gun-grabbers, in D.C., and locally, are a bunch of real sneaky bastards. Of course, when one avenue to more gun control closes, they just open up another one.

It brings to mind the antics of Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynahan of NY (Hillary's predecessor). The good senator (may his ass rest in peace) wanted to implement MORE gun control, and when he discovered the traditional methods were undoable, he proposed a 1,000% tax on all 9mm ammo. His rationale for taxing 9mm is/was unclear to me, but it was painfully obvious that this was just one more little sneaky trick to make it next to impossible for law-abiding 9mm gun owners to buy ammo and shoot it. How he rationalized that this bill, thankfully never to become law, at least not yet, was going to reduce crime was never fully explained. It was just the product of another warped liberal mind, and a critical piece of the liberal agenda. (I mean, where would a liberal be if he/she didn't fervently advocate more gun-control?). Today, years after the old boy had his ticket punched, you see the same thing. Banning lead for bullets and ammo screws not only the factory ammo purchaser, manufacturer, and distributor, but also the reloader (me) as well. What the hell are we supposed to do, shoot pebbles out of our Glocks? This time we have the tree-huggers to thank; and, of course you know it's FOR THE CHILDREN! HOW THE HELL DOES GUN-CONTROL STOP CRIME??? Somebody PLEASE tell me! How does shooting really expensive copper bullets save the ******* environment? Please tell me.

This country is going to Hell; hell, maybe we're already there.

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 18:58   #5
mastrbloata

Send a message via Yahoo to mastrbloata
I believe copper is around three times the price of lead. The last lead smelter in the United States just closed their doors because they didn't want to pay the cost of compliance with EPA standards. Lead for bullets will have to be increasingly used from old car batteries and imported from other countries.
Old 12-18-2013, 19:06   #6
grumpy1

How could an all copper bullet even work??

Copper is distinctly different than lead obviously. A bullet made of copper that is the same size/shape as one made of lead would weigh a lot less. That would mess up the whole operation of auto loading pistols designed with traditional lead bullets and I don't know if they could work well with different weight/size recoil spring etc not to mention the difference in ballistics, etc.

That might be part of the plan - to make existing autoloading firearms obsolete and then ban future sales of.

Last edited by grumpy1; 12-18-2013 at 19:08..
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 19:19   #7
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Seriously?
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 19:38   #8
gatorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Kuhl View Post
The gun-grabbers, in D.C., and locally, are a bunch of real sneaky bastards. Of course, when one avenue to more gun control closes, they just open up another one.

It brings to mind the antics of Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynahan of NY (Hillary's predecessor). The good senator (may his ass rest in peace) wanted to implement MORE gun control, and when he discovered the traditional methods were undoable, he proposed a 1,000% tax on all 9mm ammo. His rationale for taxing 9mm is/was unclear to me, but it was painfully obvious that this was just one more little sneaky trick to make it next to impossible for law-abiding 9mm gun owners to buy ammo and shoot it. How he rationalized that this bill, thankfully never to become law, at least not yet, was going to reduce crime was never fully explained. It was just the product of another warped liberal mind, and a critical piece of the liberal agenda. (I mean, where would a liberal be if he/she didn't fervently advocate more gun-control?). Today, years after the old boy had his ticket punched, you see the same thing. Banning lead for bullets and ammo screws not only the factory ammo purchaser, manufacturer, and distributor, but also the reloader (me) as well. What the hell are we supposed to do, shoot pebbles out of our Glocks? This time we have the tree-huggers to thank; and, of course you know it's FOR THE CHILDREN! HOW THE HELL DOES GUN-CONTROL STOP CRIME??? Somebody PLEASE tell me! How does shooting really expensive copper bullets save the ******* environment? Please tell me.

This country is going to Hell; hell, maybe we're already there.

AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastrbloata View Post
I believe copper is around three times the price of lead. The last lead smelter in the United States just closed their doors because they didn't want to pay the cost of compliance with EPA standards. Lead for bullets will have to be increasingly used from old car batteries and imported from other countries.
Quote:

Copper is distinctly different than lead obviously. A bullet made of copper that is the same size/shape as one made of lead would weigh a lot less. That would mess up the whole operation of auto loading pistols designed with traditional lead bullets and I don't know if they could work well with different weight/size recoil spring etc not to mention the difference in ballistics, etc.

That might be part of the plan - to make existing autoloading firearms obsolete and then ban future sales of.

Yep, yep and yep.

Also, IMO - Copper is less lethal than lead-core bullets. A 125 gr. HP copper .401 bullet is the same length as a 180 gr. HP bonded, lead-core brass or copper jacketed bullet. Case space is compromised substantially obviously. It's damn near impossible to find solid copper projectiles (non-HP). If it's heading towards solid copper, 9x23 and 10mm will probably be the future for pistols as well as a huge increase in the number of 357mag revolvers. Cartridges with long for caliber cases will be what survive under such nonsensical laws. If the end of the GAP has not already been sealed, this will do it.

Maybe there is a future in copper/brass jacketed tungsten bullets?
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 19:45   #9
cowboy1964

They're not being banned.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 19:49   #10
pennlineman

I'll continue to secure my own lead, cast it into what I want and use it as I please.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 20:18   #11
JDSTG58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennlineman View Post
I'll continue to secure my own lead, cast it into what I want and use it as I please.
Yup. Cast your own......
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 20:22   #12
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I still have half a ton of lead shot.

F be to the gov

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 20:24   #13
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I still have half a ton of lead shot.

F be to the gov

Old 12-18-2013, 22:01   #14
Deaf Smith

So how can they be so worried about lead yet they fill our light bulbs with mercury and kill eagles and owls with their wind farms?

Deaf
Old 12-18-2013, 22:09   #15
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Do as I say, not as I do.

Old 12-18-2013, 22:30   #16
Michael Rye

It isn't being banned, people. I can think of dozens of things to get worked up over, but this isn't one of them.

California's ban has to do specifically with ammunition used for hunting.

I do think the efforts of the environmentalists need to be monitored closely, don't misunderstand me.

Ammo will continue to be manufactured with lead predominately for at least the next several decades.

Relax.
Old 12-18-2013, 22:55   #17
Walter Bishop

How many times is this false story going to be reposted. Almost all ammo is made from recycled lead. There will be zero impact on the manufacture of ammo.
Walter Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 22:58   #18
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:

Barnes must be losing their ass.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:00   #19
Armedleprechaun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy1964 View Post
They're not being banned.
This. 90% of bullets are produced from recycled lead. Chill out...
Old 12-19-2013, 02:35   #20
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

In order to defend our freedom, one must think as our enemies.

The ban may be the production now, but also the use of the product latter. Think California.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote