GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-24-2013, 20:02   #21
jr05

I picked up a browning bl22 a while ago from a coworker and it has been a great gun, I would highly recommend one but they are pretty expensive new.

I am looking to change the sights out to some peep sights as the stock ones are a little small for my aging eyes.
jr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 20:50   #22
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Got surprised with a Browning BL-22 for Christmas. It is a FINE piece. Love it! Just feels good in my hands. Almost too pretty to shoot.... ALMOST. :D
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 21:41   #23
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I bought a Henry 22 from Walmart after thanksgiving with the 20% off sale, 250 OTD. Finally got out today to shoot it and gotta say I love it! Pretty accurate little rifle but I wasn't trying to get real serious with it. The action is damn smooth, and I ran federal bulk through it and Some CCI. No hiccups whatsoever, just a fun range toy!
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:19   #24
USMC03Grunt

I admit that I am biased towards the Marlin 39. I got my first 39A while I was in the Marines back in the early 90s and I picked up another used 39M about 10 years or so ago. VERY accurate, reliable are about as rugged as they come. Both of these rifles have seen untold thousands of rounds over the years in my hands alone in addition to what their former owners may have put through them as well and they are still going strong. To be fair though, about a year ago I did have the tang of the firing pin break on my 39M but getting a replacement wasn't an issue and it went right in as well.
Now again, both of these rifles are old pre-Remlin, pre-idiot button rifles with excellent fit, finish and attention to detail when they were built. I can't vouch for the current crop of Marlin rifles coming out these days.
USMC03Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45   #25
BCGUNCOLL

Ok people. I've acquired a browning bl-22. It's a little rough,but just make up and rouge. Some blueing that can be touched up, but functionally sound. Came with a bsa 4 power scope and mounts. Needless to say, I'm ready for some lever action plinking.
BCGUNCOLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 13:59   #26
Johnny Ringo

Browning BL-22. Pure Excellence.
Johnny Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 15:26   #27
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCGUNCOLL View Post
Ok people. I've acquired a browning bl-22. It's a little rough,but just make up and rouge. Some blueing that can be touched up, but functionally sound. Came with a bsa 4 power scope and mounts. Needless to say, I'm ready for some lever action plinking.
Congrats! I'm a lever-action newbie. The BL-22 I got for Christmas as a surprise from my wife is my first. And, it's a BEAUT! I've always wanted a lever-action, and I' love the BL-22. I can't compare to any others, though.
Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum
Old 01-24-2014, 13:06   #28
gk2410

I also have owned most of the available lever 22's and the Winchester 9422 is probably the smoothest, the Browning BL22 the slenderist but I have more Marlins 39 Mounties (shorter barrel and straight stock) than anything else. Have handled but not shot the Henry, and for the dollar today they might be the best bargin. I say today because all of my guns are older and probably not available in the configurations they are in. Buy what you can afford and have fun.

Last edited by gk2410; 02-12-2014 at 06:54..
gk2410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 00:59   #29
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
The Marlin's not going to be cheap but the 39A is pretty much the oldest production (continous) rifle in the US for a reason. They run, and run, and run. Your great grandkids will be using it. It's not a kid's rifle, it's a man's rifle made in an inexpensive, highly useful caliber. Kids can shoot it, but it's adult sized.

Annie Oakley used a Model 39, or it's predecessor.

The Henry's aren't bad for the money.
You just saved me a bunch of typing as I totally concur. I have a Marlin 39A made in 1951 and a more modern one from around 1996. The 39A is the best 22 rf going, in my opinion.

The 1996 version is a much better finished gun than the 1951, believe it or not. Better polish and blue job and nice looking checkered walnut stock.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:10   #30
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I love the old Winchester 94-22 rifles. My father has one in 22mag.
I have a couple that are 1/2 and 1/2. Bought a carbine for my daughter and rifles for my boys and I. Two of the rifles were the very last run they made. They have .22 Mag magazine tubes with the longer opening. Just hope no one ever jambs them up with mags.

Great rifles.
Old 02-15-2014, 23:31   #31
Fanner50
NRA Endowment

Love my Henry large loop lever. Sold my Marlin Goldenboy, it was way to heavy. Nice gun though. I would just get a Henry and be done with it. Nothing wrong with a Browning or a Winchester .22 lever, but you can have just as much fun with a Henry at half the cost.
Henry's are made right here in the good ole USA too.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:06   #32
Mark2Glock

I had many of them and the older Marlin with a slim stock is my favorite but a Browning BL22 are fun plinking gun for all day shooting. Never seen eye to eye with a Winchester or the Henrys.
Mark2Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 19:27   #33
F_G

Probably can't go wrong with any lever action .22. I've owned the BL22, 9422 and the 39A......still own the BL22 if that says anything.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 20:22   #34
Old School

I'm snakebit when it comes to lever .22s. Bought a Marlin 1897 thinking that paying more would deliver the best. Wrong. 3 trips to the factory and there was still massive binding. Finally a smith pulled up blue prints and showed me where the lever mortise was off by quite a bit. Sold it.

Bought a Henry Golden Boy, rounds will not extract. They have to be pushed out form the muzzle end. Its like the chamber is too small. I guess I'll send it back. Evidently its more difficult to make a quality lever gun.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 20:54   #35
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I'm snakebit when it comes to lever .22s. Bought a Marlin 1897 thinking that paying more would deliver the best. Wrong. 3 trips to the factory and there was still massive binding. Finally a smith pulled up blue prints and showed me where the lever mortise was off by quite a bit. Sold it.

Bought a Henry Golden Boy, rounds will not extract. They have to be pushed out form the muzzle end. Its like the chamber is too small. I guess I'll send it back. Evidently its more difficult to make a quality lever gun.
BL-22! Love, love, love mine. The only complaint you'll hear from others about it is the price. Yep... not cheap. But, there's a reason.

Last edited by racer88; 02-28-2014 at 20:55..
Old 03-01-2014, 05:39   #36
Mark2Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
Congrats! I'm a lever-action newbie. The BL-22 I got for Christmas as a surprise from my wife is my first. And, it's a BEAUT! I've always wanted a lever-action, and I' love the BL-22. I can't compare to any others, though.
Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum
Absolutely beautiful rifle!
Mark2Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 22:35   #37
Scotch827

I have a Marlin 39 pre Remington with the cross bolt safety. It never was reliable. I must have got a bad one. I have a Henry GB and a h001. They both have ran perfectly and are as accurate as my 39a. They 39a gives me ftf's and fte's . It was sent back to Marlin, but the problems are still there.
Scotch827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 18:50   #38
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
Rimfire Forum

That gun is too pretty to take to the woods.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote