Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:44   #1
tobby

New to me Mk II Target

I acquired a Ruger Mark II target today. It started out as a visit to do a favor for a friend. We started talking guns and he mentioned two .22s that never leave the safe. The first was a Remington semi-auto rifle that I wasn't familiar with. The second was a Ruger pistol that I know very well. As it turned out the rifle jammed too often and the Mark II Target 5.5" bull barrel wouldn't group as tightly as his other .22 pistol.

To shorten the story, I swapped a basically stock 10/22 which I had enhanced the trigger, glass bedded, and free floated for the MK II.

He got a very accurate .22 rifle that doesn't jam, and I have a nice target pistol that is going to be with me for a long time. WIN-WIN

I will be upgrading the trigger and lapping the barrel on the MK II tomorrow.
Tobby
tobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:41   #2
glowrod
Fightin' Fire

Congrats on your new 22. Nice to see you're both happy.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:59   #3
BDII

That's a great gun. They really come alive with CCI target ammo.
BDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:10   #4
ronin.45

Nice trade. MKIIs are not getting any cheaper and a 5.5" target model is IMO the best .22 pistol available.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18   #5
Berto
woo woo

MkII's group pretty tight from what I've seen, usually well beyond the shooters capability.
Old 02-17-2015, 13:51   #6
bac1023

Congrats on a great rimfire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 14:13   #7
tobby

Thanks for the replies Guys. Today I adjusted the overtravel screw, added a take-up screw, polished the hammer,sear, and connector, and then hand lapped the barrel.

The gun shoots like a dream. At 21 feet the first four bullets went through a ragged little hole with the remaining six landing very close by.

I think I am into it for under $200, but the friend that I traded with gave me $100 for helping him out.

By the way, he loves the 10/22.

Tobby
Old 02-18-2015, 00:08   #8
steve1911

Congrats! on the MKII.

1911club#410
Old 02-18-2015, 02:24   #9
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

Congrats!
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 23:51   #10
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin.45 View Post
Nice trade. MKIIs are not getting any cheaper and a 5.5" target model is IMO the best .22 pistol available.
I'm curious, I feel the same way about my Buckmark .22. How would you compare the MKII to the browning? I couldn't imagine anything as good but I'd love to try one.

OP, Congrats! I love a deal that everyone is happy with!
Doc McGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:17   #11
tobby

Hi Doc,
I can't tell you anything about the Browning aside from shooting my friends target model about 20 rounds. As I remember it was flawless.
As to the Mark II, I have tens of thousands of rounds through them and know them inside and out. The Mark II Target is my all time favorite pistol. They come out of the box working very well, and with just a little bit of tweaking they are hard to beat if value/performance is considered.
Tobby
Old 02-19-2015, 15:58   #12
motorcycleman
CLM Number 167
Charter Lifetime Member

How about a pic, please?! Tim
motorcycleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 20:22   #13
oneofthose

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycleman View Post
How about a pic, please?! Tim
Yes, definitely. We'd love to see it
Old 02-19-2015, 21:02   #14
8Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobby View Post
I acquired a Ruger Mark II target today. It started out as a visit to do a favor for a friend. We started talking guns and he mentioned two .22s that never leave the safe. The first was a Remington semi-auto rifle that I wasn't familiar with. The second was a Ruger pistol that I know very well. As it turned out the rifle jammed too often and the Mark II Target 5.5" bull barrel wouldn't group as tightly as his other .22 pistol.

To shorten the story, I swapped a basically stock 10/22 which I had enhanced the trigger, glass bedded, and free floated for the MK II.

He got a very accurate .22 rifle that doesn't jam, and I have a nice target pistol that is going to be with me for a long time. WIN-WIN

I will be upgrading the trigger and lapping the barrel on the MK II tomorrow.
Tobby
LAPPING THE BARREL OF A .22 LONG RIFLE PISTOL

1. How do you know whether your barrel needs lapping?

2. What do you use to lap your barrel?

3. How do you know when you've lapped it enough?

I've got a Mark II with a 6 and 7/8" thin barrel and have never considered lapping it.
8Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 21:32   #15
tobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ring View Post
LAPPING THE BARREL OF A .22 LONG RIFLE PISTOL

1. How do you know whether your barrel needs lapping?

2. What do you use to lap your barrel?

3. How do you know when you've lapped it enough?

I've got a Mark II with a 6 and 7/8" thin barrel and have never considered lapping it.
1) I looked at all of the possible causes for a target pistol to be shooting constellations instead of tight groups. None of them were apparent.

2) I use 600 grit lapping compound on a cleaning swatch wrapped around a well worn brass brush.

3) I do not know. I give it ten passes, clean the bore thoroughly and test fire it to see if it has improved the accuracy. If it has I stop. If it hasn't then there is little to lose by giving it another ten passes.

Often times with a good lapping job will not only take down the irregularities in the grooves and lands of a barrel, it will also get rid of lead and copper fouling in a barrel that seems to be clean.

If your gun barrel has for example a 1 in 12 twist and your muzzle velocity is 1000 fps the bullet is spinning at 60,000 rpms if my math is correct. If there is an irregularity in the rifling or fouling in the barrel that spin changes resulting in a loss of accuracy.

Tobby
Old 02-20-2015, 02:28   #16
tobby

I will get some pics up soon.
Tobby
Old 02-20-2015, 14:12   #17
Arvinator

Good for you! Last month I swapped a well worn 38 snubbie for a never been fired 1999 Ruger MKII 50th anniversary. When I met the guy the pistol still has factory lube and wrapped in the paper. I got her a set of Crimson Trace in a swap also. I got her for a hose pistol. Due to her weak wrist I figure a magazine full of .22LR into a problem could go a long ways to stop the problem.
Never had MKII, wish I had gotten one years ago....
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 16:16   #18
tobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvinator View Post
Good for you! Last month I swapped a well worn 38 snubbie for a never been fired 1999 Ruger MKII 50th anniversary. When I met the guy the pistol still has factory lube and wrapped in the paper. I got her a set of Crimson Trace in a swap also. I got her for a hose pistol. Due to her weak wrist I figure a magazine full of .22LR into a problem could go a long ways to stop the problem.
Never had MKII, wish I had gotten one years ago....

Wow Arvinator, you really have a score there! Have you checked the prices on the new Mark IIIs? Most of them are well over $500. Have you taken it out and exercised it yet?
Tobby
Old 02-20-2015, 19:12   #19
Arvinator

Yes, the wife and I put about 75 rounds thru it. The snubbie I swapped I had a whole $225.00 in and the grips believe it or not I had from my start of twenty bucks. For a whole $245.00 I have what I think is ideal for my wife since her wrist is bad and recoil sensitive. I have other .22 pistols also stashed for her to use when I am at work (I'm a cop). I feel very fortunate for this pistol.
Arvinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 19:22   #20
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McGlock View Post
I'm curious, I feel the same way about my Buckmark .22. How would you compare the MKII to the browning? I couldn't imagine anything as good but I'd love to try one.

OP, Congrats! I love a deal that everyone is happy with!
The Buckmark is s great gun. I'd rank it up there with the best. The only advantage I would give the Ruger is longevity. Solid stainless steel is hard to beat. Between my Rugers and my friends Buckmark I'd put money on mine being around in a few generations.