Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:31   #1
Gtn

Xtreme Copper Plated Bullets for Self Defense Rounds

Can Xtreme copper plated bullets be an effective self defense round?
If so, which type
RN
RNFP
HP
these are for 9mm and 45 auto

Thanks
Gtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31   #2
attrapereves

I wouldn't use any FMJ or ball ammo for defense.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:39   #3
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I wouldn't use any FMJ or ball ammo for defense.
This. Hollowpoints aren't that hard to find.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12   #4
Colorado4Wheel

The idea behind a Copper Plated Bullet is that you get to use a very soft lead core (which is cheaper then a lead with higher Tin and Antimony content) and then use a cheaper thinner copper platting to prevent the leading. So you end up with a projectile that is going to behave like a very soft lead bullet in most ways. Not exactly ideal in most lines of thought. Honestly, I would rather use a pure lead bullet with a reasonable hardness in most situations then a copper washed bullet. A reasonably hard lead bullets for pistol are underrated imho. But I am not a caliber war or bullet junkie.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:43   #5
dkf

Buy some Hornady XTPs or Speer Gold Dots. They are actually loaded in commercial self defense ammo. The Zeros, Extremes, MG, PD and etc all are more for plinking than reliable expansion.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:48   #6
Gtn

ok - thanks everyone.

1 more question then! If these plated bullets are just for plinking what are the different types (RN, RNFP, HP) meant for?
I'm getting ready to place a order and want to get the right/best kind
Gtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:01   #7
Gpruitt54

I don't understand, if you can reload and get an copper plated hollow point bullet to fly at a good speed, then what's not to like?

I just started reloading X-Treme hollow points in .40 and 9mm and I believe they perform very well indeed. I carry them in my backup mag. My primary rounds are Hornady XTP's.

Not going to tempt fate after all.
Gpruitt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:12   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpruitt54 View Post
I don't understand, if you can reload and get an copper plated hollow point bullet to fly at a good speed, then what's not to like?

I just started reloading X-Treme hollow points in .40 and 9mm and I believe they perform very well indeed. I carry them in my backup mag. My primary rounds are Hornady XTP's.

Not going to tempt fate after all.
I can't believe I am typing this because these conversations always degrade into a stupid ......

FBI protocol basically says a bullet needs to penetrate at least 12 inch's (going from memory) to be effective. A really soft lead bullet may not meet that standard.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:13   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtn View Post
ok - thanks everyone.

1 more question then! If these plated bullets are just for plinking what are the different types (RN, RNFP, HP) meant for?

Some guns/calibers/people just like different profiles. It's not a big deal.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:36   #10
dkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I can't believe I am typing this because these conversations always degrade into a stupid ......

FBI protocol basically says a bullet needs to penetrate at least 12 inch's (going from memory) to be effective. A really soft lead bullet may not meet that standard.
Yeah the FBI like a minimum of 12" of penetration however that is only one part of the testing. There are other factors.

Myself I like to have some track record and data available for a carry round if at all possible. If you find a bullet that does well in testing, has a track record and is used by LE (and the bullet is available to reloaders) you can duplicate the load and get duplicate results.

I will go out on a limb and say that most loaders still buy their carry ammo but reload their range ammo. Several of the premium JHPs on the market are only available in factory ammo.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:59   #11
Gpruitt54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post

Well, OK then!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:59   #12
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtn View Post
ok - thanks everyone.

Some people think HP bullets fly a little better. The .40 is thought to be designed around a truncated cone bullet so the RNFP might be more appropriate than the RN. Of course, the HP will also work but the .40 HPs tend to still look like a truncated cone rather than a nice rounded bullet.

For plinking, it gets down to cost. I use plated and even jacketed for my wife's and grandson's loads - just to reduce lead exposure. For my own shooting, I prefer lead semiwadcutters (LSWC) although I use lead roundnose (LRN) as well.

I don't reload for SD - not ever. What little SD ammo I need, I can buy. Maybe I'll test a box every once in awhile. Meantime, I churn out a BUNCH of reloads for plinking.

Richard
Old 12-02-2013, 13:30   #13
Gpruitt54

Question about an DS round I saw this weekend. I saw these at Cabala’s. They looked like a steel or steel jacketed round. These rounds had very… very deep cavities that seem to reach to the bottom of the bullet. There were no notches around the hollow cavity like many HP rounds. The most telling aspect of the rounds was the weight and listed speed of the rounds. They were listed at only 55gn with a speed of 2000 FPS. Several people were looking at the rounds and commenting on how light the entire box of 20 rounds was.
Old 12-02-2013, 16:42   #14
fredj338

I have yet to see a plated HP like Berry's or Ranier, expand reliably. The either expand, don't or fragment. They are not designed for expansion but for accuracy. Unless you actually test them, what you believe & know are two diff things. So IMO, a very poor choice for rolling your own SD/HD rounds, which isn't a good idea either, but another thread.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 12-02-2013 at 16:43..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote