Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:24   #21
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorpinki View Post
They always screw over veterans. They tried not to pay them their dues in the Revolutionary War. You may recall that there was a war fought over it, and it was actually the first mobilization of the continental forces since the Revolution and helped definitively push the U.S. away from the Articles of Confederation. It was called Shays' rebellion.

But hey, what the flip would I know about the military or its history.
Not "always". Maybe "frequently" would have been a better choice of words.

I'd expect an erosion of benefits for veterans, probably even before they make welfare sustenance level only.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:33   #22
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
I sometimes think there are too many chiefs in the system, too many striving to 'improve the system' by exclusion.
Quality Management, System Redesign, and Process Improvement, are 3 separate offices within VA Hospitals, with the same mission. They are redundant. The number of nurses in admin positions that do not do patient care is very large. And they lie about their access numbers. The VA reports that over 98% of patients get their appointment within 2 weeks, or within 2 weeks of when they wanted to be seen. The trick is, when the appointment is made, they always say that is the day you asked for. That is a weighted performance measure for Executive Career Field bonuses.

http://www.veterans.senate.gov/heari...8-9f517d9c3af6

Interestingly, the senate only focused on mental health in that scandal, and didn't look to see that it is every department in every facility.

The problem about lying to make yourself look awesome, is that it's hard to ask for help when you have real problems.

It's a good mission hampered by top heavy bad management.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00   #23
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Quality Management, System Redesign, and Process Improvement, are 3 separate offices within VA Hospitals, with the same mission. They are redundant. The number of nurses in admin positions that do not do patient care is very large. And they lie about their access numbers. The VA reports that over 98% of patients get their appointment within 2 weeks, or within 2 weeks of when they wanted to be seen. The trick is, when the appointment is made, they always say that is the day you asked for. That is a weighted performance measure for Executive Career Field bonuses.

http://www.veterans.senate.gov/heari...8-9f517d9c3af6

Interestingly, the senate only focused on mental health in that scandal, and didn't look to see that it is every department in every facility.

The problem about lying to make yourself look awesome, is that it's hard to ask for help when you have real problems.

It's a good mission hampered by top heavy bad management.
Yep... All y'all reading this not familiar with the VA system, the part in bold, when you are hurting, not enough to go to the ER, hurting enough that it affects your life though, waiting 2 weeks is tough, but waiting 3, 4, 6 weeks to be seen ain't acceptable.

Some know how to work within the system. They get the timely appointments. That pushes those who do not further out. See the problem with inefficiency?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:52   #24
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Yep... All y'all reading this not familiar with the VA system, the part in bold, when you are hurting, not enough to go to the ER, hurting enough that it affects your life though, waiting 2 weeks is tough, but waiting 3, 4, 6 weeks to be seen ain't acceptable.

Some know how to work within the system. They get the timely appointments. That pushes those who do not further out. See the problem with inefficiency?
It's a very efficient system. If the goal is to secure executive bonuses. That is running very smoothly. There was a bill passed in the house that would have partially fixed that, on the claims side of the house anyway.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...erans-affairs/
Old 11-17-2013, 09:41   #25
RussP

On thing that frosted my buns was when the VA and DOD decided not to go forward with integrating DOD health records into the VA system of health records. Retreat by VA and DoD on electronic health records criticized

That would have allowed the VA to see not only for what you had been treated, but where and when.

As much as I dislike the Senators from Virginia, Warner and Kaine, they did respond positively to my messages about the issue. Our Representatives also unanimously voiced support for the program.

Well, it's back on a forward burner again with a 2017 operational deadline.
Quote:
VA, DoD receive electronic health record deadline
Quote:
Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., HCVA chair, recalled that last year Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Secretary Eric Shinseki and then-Department of Defense (DoD) Secretary Leon Panetta pledged to Congress that their departments would work together to develop a "single, joint, common Integrated Electronic Health Record" by 2017. However, that goal remains elusive.

VA and DoD "are, once again, moving on their own tracks with promises we’ve heard before about making two separate systems ‘interoperable,’" Miller said in his opening remarks. "Pardon my frustration, but it seems the only thing interoperable we get are the litany of excuses flying across both departments every year as to why it’s taking so long to get this done."

In response to continued development problems, the House has included an amendment in the National Defense Authorization bill that directs VA and DoD to complete work on an iEHR by Oct. 1, 2016. "The message of the amendment is simple — no more excuses, get this done," Miller said.
Unfortunately, with ACA setting on the front burner, bubbling over, with no one turning the heat down, there's doubt cast on any new computer system...

Old 11-17-2013, 09:41   #26
The Maggy

Quote:

And that has been my exact experience. For my office you call for an appointment and they place you on a waiting list to be scheduled an appointment the following month. That's a four week wait if you are lucky, eight if you aren't.

Considering the va docs were telling me that I should be in on a weekly or biweekly basis, averaging 5-6 weeks of wait time doesn't cut it. Hell even the pharmacy played games were you couldn't go to the pharmacy window to get refills. Everything had to be ordered on line and it would be mailed to you. The pharmacy was 5min from my house. I had to wait until I was 7 days away from being dry on meds. The average time for the meds to reach my doorstep was 8-10 days.

I eventually went private and started covering the cost out of pocket because dealing with the va was compounding my issues by adding a level of stress that was pretty much unparalleled.

Oh and they switched their phones off after 4, while being open until 6. Calling in to schedule and appointment at 4:01 redirected tthe call from the tulsa, ok clinic to the va hospital in houston... which was no where near being in the same region.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:49   #27
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
It's a very efficient system. If the goal is to secure executive bonuses. That is running very smoothly. There was a bill passed in the house that would have partially fixed that, on the claims side of the house anyway.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...erans-affairs/
Another story...
Quote:
Despite backlogs, VA disability claims processors get bonuses
Quote:
In 2011, a year in which the claims backlog ballooned by 155 percent, more than two-thirds of claims processors shared $5.5 million in bonuses, according to salary data from the Office of Personnel Management.

The more complex claims were often set aside by workers so they could keep their jobs, meet performance standards or, in some cases, collect extra pay, said VA claims processors and union representatives. Those claims now make up much of the VA’s widely scrutinized disability claims backlog, defined by the agency as claims pending more than 125 days.

“At the beginning of the month . . . I’d try to work my really easy stuff so I could get my numbers up,” said Renee Cotter, a union steward for the Reno, Nev., local of the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE).

Old 11-17-2013, 16:22   #28
Self-Defense Only

My take on the VA is a bit different.

Did you, or did you not enter into a contract with the Government of the United States of America when you raised your hand and swore to support, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States and joined the military forces. My understanding was that when you entered into that agreement, the contract said that if you spent 180 days or more on active duty, you EARNED benefits from the Veterans' Administration.

When we put in our time, nobody told us anything about means testing. Now, even though I put in my time, I can't get treated at the VA, because I make too much money.

Yes, you can say why am I complaining, but remember that contract we entered? Well, they unilaterally changed the terms AFTER we performed our obligations under the contract. And many of our friends died while trying to earn those benefits - so they feel important to me.

So explain to me please, why my benefits = that were fully vested as soon as I got my honorable discharge, disappeared? Why was one side of the contract able to change the terms AFTER the other side fully performed their obligations? I don't think you can show me any other place where a court would allow that to happen.

Now, back to the video that started all of this. So if we went to Washington, D.C. to redress our grievances, and freely assemble to do so - both acts protected by the Constitution, why is it that we can expect the same treatment that WWI veterans received? It really wasn't right last time, but nobody cares anymore, and they didn't care much then, either. This is a very sad commentary on America. The Constitution that we love seems to have been emasculated when we weren't looking.

The good news, if there is any, is that even though they have been trampling on our rights for a very long time, we're still here, and still able to express ourselves freely about it. Someday, that may not be the case. But it gives me some degree of hope. I'm sure that those Vets that had their encampment destroyed, and were gassed by U.S. Military troops under the direction of Ike and MacArthur, thought the end of the U.S. was at hand. I'm sure that I would have. So this makes me feel that many of us are probably over-reacting to what we are seeing as the government's lowpoint in history. It really isn't. Our government has never been too stellar. Ever hear of the teapot dome scandal? There have been many along the way. But the good ole U.S.A. just keeps on going, in spite of indiscretions, and self-serving behavior of every description.

The world just seems like it's about to end. Those acts taken by our military against those veterans in the video were based on promises made by the government to those veterans 95 years ago, and the same promises were still not fulfilled when the march occurred in 1931. That was 82 years ago, and 12 years after the promises had been made by our government to those veterans - and well after those veterans had served. Time marches on, yet some things never change. It wasn't fair then, and it surely isn't fair now, for those who serve our military to not receive the benefits that they earned; AND for our government not to recognize the Constitutionally Protected rights of Peaceful Assembly and Redress of Grievances. Don't even get me started on the Patriot Act.

Last edited by Self-Defense Only; 11-17-2013 at 16:33..
Self-Defense Only is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
government, screwed, veterans, video, world war i