Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:03   #1
__jb

Bayou Bullets in a Glock Barrel?

The Florida GSSF matches are coming up and I'm wondering how my moly-coated Bayou Bullets will shoot in a stock Glock 17 with polygonal rifling. Donnie says they shoot fine with no worries, but I figure you guys here in the GSSF forum are the Glock experts and would know for sure.

I normally shoot them in my USPSA Glock 34 with a KKM barrel... just wonder if I can get away with shooting a couple of hundred in a standard Glock. I clean the barrel every time I shoot. Anything special to look for?

Thanks,
John
Florida Glocker #153
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
__jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 14:18   #2
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

I was at the St. Augustine GSSF match this past weekend RO'ing. I saw many quick shooters using them. I'm sure that's not what made them very good, but that's what they were shooting.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 15:59   #3
Justin1911

Every bullet/powder combo is a different case. I use solo 1000 with BBI 147 bullets without issues. But had significant leading with precision moly bullets loaded to the same specs in 9mm but their 45 stuff was fine. It's worth a look. Just field strip and look at the barrel every 5-10 rds at first until you get over 100-200 and see is what I have done in the past. Also when my barrels would lead I would get poor accuracy and key hole at 20 yards or so.

Last edited by Justin1911; 11-13-2013 at 16:00..
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 18:53   #4
njl

Interesting. I've got some Precision 147gr I need to do more testing with...but have also recently acquired some Bayou.

For the OP, a correction...AFAIK, the coating Bayou uses is not moly.

Also of note, BBI has apparently just switched from their moly coating to the same coating used by Bayou.
Old 11-13-2013, 20:15   #5
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

AFAIK, Bayou uses an epoxy paint coating call Hi-Tek from Australia. Here is everything you need to know about the Hi-Tek coating.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Hi-Tek-coating

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 18:19   #6
Sixstone

I have put a couple thousand 180 gr Bayous down my G35 barrel without any issues. I usually clean after each time.
Sixstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 18:29   #7
__jb

My bad on calling it "Moly." Should have called it a coating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstone View Post
I have put a couple thousand 180 gr Bayous down my G35 barrel without any issues. I usually clean after each time.
That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks for the feedback...
Florida Glocker #153
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 11-14-2013, 18:51   #8
__jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
I was at the St. Augustine GSSF match this past weekend RO'ing. I saw many quick shooters using them. I'm sure that's not what made them very good, but that's what they were shooting.

WP
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
AFAIK, Bayou uses an epoxy paint coating call Hi-Tek from Australia. Here is everything you need to know about the Hi-Tek coating.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Hi-Tek-coating

WP
Thanks... I knew the coating Donnie uses was from Australia, but had no idea that it was the same Hi-Tech coating you mentioned and showed in the link...

Good to know other shooters are shooting Bayous in Glock barrels without issues...
Florida Glocker #153
Glock Certified Armorer
GSSF Member
Old 11-16-2013, 10:09   #9
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

My daughter and I have shot thousands of Bayou Bullets out of the factory Glock barrels with no problems.

Just clean your gun and barrel as normal, you should not have any problems.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:13   #10
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by __jb View Post
Thanks... I knew the coating Donnie uses was from Australia, but had no idea that it was the same Hi-Tech coating you mentioned and showed in the link...

Good to know other shooters are shooting Bayous in Glock barrels without issues...
With what powders? In 9mm, I like to use Universal for jacketed, and WST for lead/moly. I find the smoke from WST/moly less offensive than the smoke from Universal/moly. I'm guessing the Bayou bullets won't really contribute to the smoke at all unless you use a really hot/fast powder and start burning the coating.
Old 11-16-2013, 18:45   #11
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
With what powders? In 9mm, I like to use Universal for jacketed, and WST for lead/moly. I find the smoke from WST/moly less offensive than the smoke from Universal/moly. I'm guessing the Bayou bullets won't really contribute to the smoke at all unless you use a really hot/fast powder and start burning the coating.
Solo 1000
Old 11-16-2013, 20:33   #12
njl

I don't have any Solo. I just loaded a few with 3.46gr WST and a few with 3.2gr Universal Clays, all at 1.135". Hopefully I can get out soon and test them.
Old 11-25-2013, 19:50   #13
mr glock-fl

Hi,
Pat Elmore and I have used them for almost a year, Pat has used Tite group on his 9mm and his 45GAP.
My loader uses Tite group on 9mm and Universal clays on my 45 ACP.
Pat and I have had no problems with the bullets or any build up in our barrels. Their are other MatchMeisters that use Bayou's of different weights at lest 5 or more I have seen.

Both of us are sold on the Bayou Bullets-you will use a little less powder for the same load you use with plated or jacketed bullets(.3 to .4 less on average). If you order some tell Donnie Hi, He's a great guy.

Good Luck
Mike
mr glock-fl is offline   Reply With Quote