Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:42   #1
Aceman

New Gander Mountain!

Just opened down the street in same lot as the wife's favorite Target.

Man, a day at Target and Gander Mountain -

I could spend some money there in an afternoon!

Last edited by Aceman; 11-12-2013 at 10:43..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:58   #2
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post

I could spend some money there in an afternoon!
And you will!

They may have some "discounts" when they first open (usually making their price look "normal." But after that... Handguns are usually $50-$100 more there. And, rifles are usually several hundred $$ more...

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:30   #3
Knighj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck-The-Sequel View Post
And you will!

They may have some "discounts" when they first open (usually making their price look "normal." But after that... Handguns are usually $50-$100 more there. And, rifles are usually several hundred $$ more...
They will price match up to 70 miles, you have to ask. They had a kahr for 100 more than msrp and the young guy at the counter told me if I could find it cheaper locally to go do it. The older man I spoke with price matched it and took more off.
Knighj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:17   #4
Shipwreck-The-Sequel
Beretta 92 Nut!

The one here in my town will NOT price match on firearms. I have asked a couple times in the past couple of years. They did when they first opened, and then they stopped.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49   #5
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I've gotten a good deal at GM once. The rest of the time their prices are absurd.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 13:24   #6
Aceman

All I'm saying is: Remington 525 .22lr for $24
Old 11-12-2013, 14:23   #7
4 glocks

I have never seen anything at GM I could not find cheaper somewhere else. When they have the grand opening you may find some good prices. Several years ago the were selling Glock 33 round mags for $49.99 I could find them online for $31. Before the ammo/Gun panic of 2013 they were selling bulk 22lr mini mags for $30 and a LGS was selling them for $20. One time I called GM and asked what they would charge to do a FFL transfer they said $100 several local shops will do it for $20.

About 4-5 years ago they had Ruger LCP's on "sale" for $299 not a bad price at the time. I asked to look at one and had it in my hand maybe 15-30 sec. and the clerk said well do you want it. Then he turned to the other guy and said "that's the last two right" and the guy said yes. I gave it back to him and was looking at the long guns they had. 5 min. later someone came out of the back with a stack of 8 LCP in his hands.

I will go in and look around but have not bought anything from them in 8 years.
Old 11-12-2013, 14:29   #8
mac600

They just remodeled the store in Central New York (Cicero). The prices were high but I have never seen so many guns. The gun counter was the entire width of the back of the store. Must have been 300'.
mac600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 15:06   #9
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac600 View Post
They just remodeled the store in Central New York (Cicero). The prices were high but I have never seen so many guns. The gun counter was the entire width of the back of the store. Must have been 300'.
They just did that here too.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 15:09   #10
TK-421

I generally stay away from Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shop because their prices are stupid. The only time I'll pay more for an item is when I buy from REI, because of their return policy. I've heard stories of guys returning stuff 10+ years after they bought it, and REI takes it back with a smile. So I don't mind buying stuff from them, because I know my camping gear won't get used for a while, and it'll sit around unopened for longer than I want it to. But if it gives me any issues when I do use it, I know REI will make it right. And that's the only place I'll pay more than most other places charge, and the reason why. Gander Mountain doesn't have a good reason to charge more than they do, like REI does.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 15:18   #11
4 glocks

Quote:

Same here in central NC.
Old 11-12-2013, 19:18   #12
Bruce M

I can understand avoiding purchasing guns there but sometimes looking around and looking /handling various items can be fun.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 19:33   #13
newgene

Quote:
The prices were high but I have never seen so many guns.
That seems intuitive.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 20:09   #14
JDSTG58

Quote:
They did the opposit near me, the gun counter was cut in size, and all are now behind the counter.

Every now and then good deals can be had at GM. I saw a Browning B92 in .44 Mag for $250 in excellent condition. I bought a CZ 82 in excellent condition with 4 mags for $175. I bought a S&W Bodyguard .380 new in box for $275. I missed a S&W 66 for $250.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 20:34   #15
johnstein11

I remember about 10 years ago, gander mountain was known for it's ridiculous prices, and indeed the butt of many a joke.

I like Bass Pro
-large selection of everything outdoors at decent prices (the one near me has tons of WWB .45 acp 100 rounds for $42, not bad nowadays) + price matching
-10% military discount
-The aquariums are really cool especially during feeding times, and some have ducks!

No, I have no affiliation to Bass Pro, other than I like going there.
johnstein11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 20:50   #16
Aceman

Quote:
This - there were so many guns I couldn't believe it.
Old 11-12-2013, 20:53   #17
FreakyBig
Massive Member

The nice thing about Gander Mountain here is that if you can't afford their ridiculous prices, you can always buy at a fair price online and pay them $75 to do the transfer for you...

The Bass Pro Shop here actually has a pretty pathetic firearm selection so I don't have much use for them. The Gander Mountain here recently increased the size of their firearm section and has a pretty impressive selection, but prices are outrageous. I'm amazed by how many they actually sell there. I saw a Dan Wesson Valor for $2500 last time I was there.
Old 11-12-2013, 20:55   #18
Aceman

To me, 7 days open, maybe 5 miles to it, and selection are all very good things.
Old 11-12-2013, 21:05   #19
grumpy1

Quote:
The nice thing about Gander Mountain here is that if you can't afford their ridiculous prices, you can always buy at a fair price online and pay them $75 to do the transfer for you...

I thought my LGS is high at $48.

There are local FFLs that will do it for $25 around here but they all work out of there house and you have to make appointments. So I pay the $48 so I can do it at my convenience since there is a waiting period and I have to go to FFL TWICE.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 21:09   #20
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBig View Post
Holy crap that's expensive. My local shop charges around $25 to do a transfer.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote