Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:14   #1
attrapereves

Stick drivers

Anyone else enjoy driving a stick? I bought a manual transmission car after not having one for a long time. I don't think I'll ever go back to an auto (unless it's an SUV or truck).

I strongly believe that if everyone drove a stick, there would be less accidents. It's very difficult to text, talk, or fiddle with things when driving a stick. People would care more about their driving if most cars were manual.

Although I probably would never buy a stick if I lived in a big city with stop and go traffic, or a place with hills like San Fran.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:28   #2
Chiefret

My Jeep is a manual transmission. I have an automatic transmission for my daily ride so I can text, talk, or fiddle with things.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31   #3
benji

My wife has enough difficulties driving an auto. If she could drive a manual I would own all manuals. Since she can't I have one but we have 3 cars. If one breaks down or goes into the shop we both have an option to drive.
benji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:31   #4
Booker

The only time I don't care for a manual transmission is during Rush Hour, with the stop & go traffic.

Love a stick in the snow!

Automatics have there place, though. As I get older and get the aches and pains of aging, I keep thinking about an automatic! Ginding bones leads to grinding gears! LOL
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:32   #5
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

After my first car, I felt I had shifted enough gears for a lifetime. I particularly hate rowing through stop & go bumper to bumper traffic ...

I won't buy a car with a manual, no matter how 'sporty' it is ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:34   #6
Harper

I've never owned an automatic so I don't think about it much but you might have a point about distracted drivers. That said, if I had the money I'd buy a Porsche with a PDK transmission(automated dual clutch) in a heartbeat.
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37   #7
KevinFACE

I meet in the middle with a DSG.
KevinFACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45   #8
attrapereves

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircarver View Post
After my first car, I felt I had shifted enough gears for a lifetime. I particularly hate rowing through stop & go bumper to bumper traffic ...

I won't buy a car with a manual, no matter how 'sporty' it is ...

I guess that's probably the only complaint I have. I can only get up to 7 or 8 mph before having to shift into 2nd.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47   #9
Santa CruZin
RIP Mr. Mayor

I have a twin turbo, 5-speed 300ZX. My next stick will hopefully be a Caterham R500 Superlight. I like my manuals.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:47   #10
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Two out of three of our vehicles are manual transmission ('02 Corvette and '05 Acura RSX) and the third has paddle shifters that, in theory, I could drive as a manual but in practice never do. I think I tried it once for about 2 minutes.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:50   #11
rudutchyet

but they SUCK in traffic jams..

I think I have always had at least one manual since 1981.
I think you get better control on snow / ice -and a Mustang GT needs it
rudutchyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58   #12
nikerret
Mr. Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Anyone else enjoy driving a stick? I bought a manual transmission car after not having one for a long time. I don't think I'll ever go back to an auto (unless it's an SUV or truck).

I strongly believe that if everyone drove a stick, there would be less accidents. It's very difficult to text, talk, or fiddle with things when driving a stick. People would care more about their driving if most cars were manual.
My last three vehicles were a manual (real manual), but you can't find a half-ton truck with a manual, anymore.

I agree with you.

Yes, I miss having a manual.
nikerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02   #13
CAcop

I remember taking some out of state friends down Lombard Street in a stick. Down was uneventful. Up waiting in line sucked. Some tourist was on my tail so I had to gun it. I think he figured it out when I rolled back a bit and backed off a little.

We have a hill in town with a light at the top that has claimed a few bumpers.

I prefer a stock with a spongy clutch. Mine was like a light switch.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02   #14
Magnus2131
Glock Gimp

Love driving a stick. Traffic or not, if you are proficient at driving a manual it's a great driving experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
And then gone and stuffed the gun up the ass of the Hajji bastard that shot me!
"RIP Jeff (23Skidoo)" and our Silent_Runner. 129,520
Magnus2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05   #15
GamerGirl
100% Relevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I guess that's probably the only complaint I have. I can only get up to 7 or 8 mph before having to shift into 2nd.
Ha. I can do like 70 in second

When I do it I'm "wasted" and "have to leave Home Depot immediately"
GamerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05   #16
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I have a manual in my Sonata and my son's Maxima. Wife never bugs me to borrow my car, and I enjoy driving a stick.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:06   #17
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
.... We have a hill in town with a light at the top that has claimed a few bumpers.
Bill Cosby had a hilarious routine about that ...

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10   #18
TK-421

Drove an automatic for six years, been driving a stick for six months, I'll never look back. It's so nice actually feeling in control of my car. Now my car does what I want, instead of whatever the computer wants. It's such a blast to drive too. It's not the greatest thing in the world in rush hour traffic, but it doesn't bother me enough to want to go back to an automatic.
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:16   #19
Syclone0538

I can go 50 in 1st, or be at 1200 rpm at 55 in 6th.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21   #20
Travelin' Jack
Misinformed

I always buy manual vehicles, including a truck and SUV.

It's just a better driving experience.
Travelin' Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28   #21
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
I remember taking some out of state friends down Lombard Street in a stick. Down was uneventful. Up waiting in line sucked. Some tourist was on my tail so I had to gun it. I think he figured it out when I rolled back a bit and backed off a little.

We have a hill in town with a light at the top that has claimed a few bumpers.

I prefer a stock with a spongy clutch. Mine was like a light switch.
Driving a manual stop-and-go uphill is much easier if you learn to use the e-brake to hold the car from rolling backwards, then release it only after you've got the clutch loaded up. Takes a little practice but works fantastic.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:28   #22
railfancwb

Drove a stick for years. Now own only automatics. Now live in a rural area, so stop and go with a stick would be OK. Not so much when I lived in a city and had to commute.

Years ago in Denver I needed to rent a car for a day of sightseeing. Wanted something small and cheap, as it was just me with no luggage. Guy had something tiny with a stick, but kept trying to upgrade me to a mid size with automatic. Stick was perfect though, as I was able to take it over the mountain on unpaved road from Idaho Springs to Central City. Might not have attempted that with the bigger, automatic car.

I've wondered if that tiny stick shift was their low rate bait and switch vehicle, like some motels have a low rent room which is actually the broom closet.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39   #23
SC Tiger
Shaved Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Driving a manual stop-and-go uphill is much easier if you learn to use the e-brake to hold the car from rolling backwards, then release it only after you've got the clutch loaded up. Takes a little practice but works fantastic.
When I got my first car it had a stick, and I got to the point I could hold it on a hill with the clutch and gas. That's pretty rough on the clutch though so I rarely did it.

On reasonably level ground I could start it moving by just easing the clutch pedal out without giving it gas.

The car was bought very used and I finally had to have a clutch put in it. When I got it back I just about had to re-learn how to drive a stick as the new clutch was much, much grabbier than the old one.

One thing though - driving a stick when the clutch is about to die sucks. Did that for about a month in college. When I finally had it changed, I could put the car in gear, let out the clutch and it would sit there idling and not move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoking View Post
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.
SC Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:46   #24
itisbruno
CLM Number 103
Devious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl View Post
Ha. I can do like 70 in second

Women .... you proly also think that this

|_____________________________________________|

is 12 inches too ...

In my daily driver for commuting I prefer an automatic, my sports cars and 4X4's , give me a stick.

I soooo wish they made the Excursion in a stick, but alas, they didn't.

I think the stick gives you much more control of the vehicle. Great for starting out in 2nd gear in the snow and sending less torque to prevent tire spin, engine breaking down steep hills in 4X4, and for engine breaking into and faster acceleration out of corners in a sports car.

Poor GamerGirl, her time estimates are off by about a third, but alas, she is a blonde. Gotta luff her.

Click HERE
daily to give food for animals in a shelter or sanctuary...for FREE
itisbruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50   #25
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
Oh, I was doing that but there was some impatient dork from someplace with no hills right on my bumper. Even with an automatic in SF you need to give a little room.

Some of those hills are insane steep. They essentially terrace the hills so they can have flat cross streets. Some of the down slopes have speed limits at the cross streets because the transition is so sudden. You will be visiting a body shop if you don't pay attention in that city.

When your sidewalks are stairs it is time to drive different.

The Okie Corral
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote