Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:53   #1
DEE50

Hidden in the car

Anyone have ideas of accessible, but secure places to hide a handgun in a vehicle besides locking it in the glove compartment? I would like to make it more accessible without making it more steal able. Some of the advertisements I see for things such as latches below the steering wheel seem like a gimmick to me.
DEE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:21   #2
Beanie-Bean

I use a Gunvault under the seat, secured with the steel cable it ships with. It'll deter a smash and grab attack for someone who doesn't carry any tools. However, if someone really wanted to take it, they probably will.

Those are only used for places when I can't carry (like the post office, or in hospitals around here, for example) and not as a permanent storage place for a "truck gun" or a "vehicle gun."

I like this one a lot, because I don't have to see anything to open it up:

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24   #3
John43

Ft.Knox is making some, even some rifle cases, although they are pricey. There are some that fit center consoles at about $250.
John43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34   #4
Georgia_Glocker

I have a Sentra, which has a neat little trick - almost like it knew I carried a gun. Both the rear seats fold foward and have plenty of space for both my gun and my wifes gun when we can't carry them somewhere.
Georgia_Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:36   #5

Get customized brother. While I can't provide pics at the moment my father who goes nowhere without a handgun or two much like all of us here, he took a saddle type leather holster and secured it under the driver's side dash to the right of the steering wheel down in there where it's very hard to spot. His saddle holster had belt cutouts and instead of destroying the dash by using bolts or glue or whatever, he used large zipties and went through existing openings down under the dash and was able to secure it well. It's also angled enough up so it can never fly out of the holster if he accelerates hard, and one could just buy a holster that locks gun in place. He did this in his 07 vette and 05 suburban his old 99 vette and a 01 or so grand prix and in each auto he got it to work for him. I have seen all the ones he did in all four autos and even from the passenger seat or standing at the drivers side window looking I could not see any gun.
Can't always buy what you need off the shelf.

I have seen those ones you are referring to that secure right under the steering column and they in no way conceal the gun. They also have one that secures to the drivers seat on the right side.
In his 05 Burb he also has a hidden 870 12 gauge where the jack system would usually go.

On a The First 48 episode I once saw a low-level drug dealers POS car that had a powered push button system that raised a part of the dash where he could hide drugs if pulled over, if you can think it you can do it.
451050500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 13:04   #6
Haldor
Retired EE

I have one of these bolted under the seat. It is a lot more substantial than the cheap ($30) underseat safes and it uses a Simplex mechanical lock that is a lot more rugged against temperature extremes than any electronic lock. I like it because it is not visible from outside the car and I can reach it from the drivers seat. I can also unlock it without looking at it.

There is a GT member who sells a gun safe with a Simplex lock that fits nicely between bucket seats.

General Firearms Forum

http://www.fas1safe.com/

Fort Knox makes a very sturdy safe with a Simplex lock. It is a lot bulkier than the V-Line, I doubt if it will fit under any seat.

General Firearms Forum

http://www.ftknox.com/product/personal-pistol-box-2/
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 11-12-2013 at 13:07..
Haldor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 13:06   #7
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
I use a Gunvault under the seat, secured with the steel cable it ships with. It'll deter a smash and grab attack for someone who doesn't carry any tools. However, if someone really wanted to take it, they probably will.

Those are only used for places when I can't carry (like the post office, or in hospitals around here, for example) and not as a permanent storage place for a "truck gun" or a "vehicle gun."

I like this one a lot, because I don't have to see anything to open it up:

Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe - Amazon.com
Batteries are not reliable when exposed to extreme temperatures (like winter up north or summer in AZ). I only trust mechanical locks for these apps. I have had a Simplex locked safe in my car for 4 years now and it works perfectly. That is through three Ohio Winters and one Phoenix summer.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.

Last edited by Haldor; 11-12-2013 at 13:07..
Haldor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 14:06   #8
Beanie-Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haldor View Post
Batteries are not reliable when exposed to extreme temperatures (like winter up north or summer in AZ). I only trust mechanical locks for these apps. I have had a Simplex locked safe in my car for 4 years now and it works perfectly. That is through three Ohio Winters and one Phoenix summer.
Haldor,

I was checking out the v-line safe at the link you posted, and I'm thinking that I may switch over to one of those instead. It certainly gets rid of one of the things I have to worry about--batteries. I can also operate it without having to look at it, either.

Thank you for the info!

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 14:11   #9
boilergonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie-Bean View Post
I use a Gunvault under the seat, secured with the steel cable it ships with. It'll deter a smash and grab attack for someone who doesn't carry any tools. However, if someone really wanted to take it, they probably will....

Those... "
I also have this, and view it as a decent deterrent. Not a safe, but a deterrent.

I actually opted for a gun to help address this issue. As much as folks despise gun locks, for me for camping and for your exact scenario, I actually sought out a G17 with the internal lock (requires a key). I can disable the firearm and leave it (for example at schools, US Post Office, etc.), then quickly reactivate it and return it to a holster I keep attached inside the center console. Saves the hassle of a safe. I am not wanting to start a lock war. I have this on exactly ONE gun for this purpose (actually, it was initially driven by tent camping with children), all others guns in my safe are happy and free, and as an NRA member and gun advocate, I would scream and howl if anyone made them mandatory! Just heading off the potential fury...

I do both options, gun ILS lock and small under seat/in trunk safe. When traveling through anti-gun states that do not recognize my permit, the small GunVault safe is the way I stow things.

Last edited by boilergonzo; 11-12-2013 at 14:14..
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 14:24   #10
Redheadhunter21

A small safe is the best way to do things, however on some vehicles they have cubby holes under cup holders or other plastics that just pop out leaving an unnoticed hidden compartment.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 19:08   #11
Bruce M

I would take a close look at one of the safes for car use.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 14:34   #12
JabbaNoBother

There was a GT member who posted a pic of a Glock hanging from the rearview mirror in one of those MIC "holsters". Totally concealable
Old 11-13-2013, 16:12   #13
barefoot

Glove box, console, floorboard under seat, etc. These are all reasonably secure when you lock your car, unless you have some extra legislated requirements to have a locked box within a locked car.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 16:30   #14
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

General Firearms Forum