SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:17   #1
CarryTexas

UFOs and Extraterrestrial Life

8.8 billion earth sized planets

I came across this article and it got me thinking back to a number of threads in the past on here where people have dismissed the idea of UFOs and extraterrestrial life. I have heard arguments about distances and vastness of space etc.. However, as this article says they estimate that there are 8.8 billion planets in our galaxy alone that are in the “Goldilocks Zone”.

That is 8.8 billion chances for life to take root. That is a lot of chances for advanced societies to develop and explore. On earth we had life wiped out several times and pretty much started from scratch. What if on some other planet they had their industrial revolution a million or even 10 million years before ours?

Is every light in the sky an alien spacecraft? No! However, there have been quite a few reports from pilots and other very credible witnesses who have seen things very close up that are hard to deny. The 747 shadowed by the UFO in Alaska for example.

Link to Story

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iSzjoGwxG4

Based on the eyewitness reports and what we do know. What is the logic behind those of you that say that either extraterrestrial life doesn’t exist or the whole UFO phenomenon is just a bunch of people misidentifying airplanes or swamp gas or something?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:22   #2
robin303
Helicopter Nut

There is more planets and stars in space than all the grains of sand on earth. We are not alone.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:26   #3
MaxxAction

In my humble opinion...

to admit there is, or even that there is a real possibility of extraterrestrial life is to turn one's convenient, compartmentalized world view on it's head.

Knowing something, or having an alleged handle on how things "really are" brings a sense of security and order that would be quickly erased if the government would come out and admit that, yes, there is extraterrestrial life, and they have known it for decades. Everything we thought we knew would be blown to dust, and the foundation for our worldview would have to be rebuilt. That scares most people to death.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:27   #4
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

I think it is highly likely there is life on other planets in our galaxy, some intelligent although we might not recognize them as such. I just find that remaining skeptical about UFO's is the prudent attitude to assume because fantastic claims require fantastic evidence. So far there have been no real hard evidence of UFO's being alien spacecraft.

It is a statistical certainty that other intelligent life exists in our universe. I can't prove that to anyone who doesn't understand the math, but suffice it to say there is only so many ways to rearrange atoms and there is enough matter in what we think is our universe to make it a near certainty that an exact duplicate of Earth exists somewhere else, at some time. I know that sounds crazy, but the math works.

Also I think it would be a huge waste if intelligent life was not able to travel between the stars within the specie's lifetimes, and so I hold out hope that we can find a way to make a warp drive or equivalent that can travel FTL.

Last edited by Cybercowboy; 11-11-2013 at 10:29..
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:27   #5
JBnTX
None

Yes, we are not alone and in more ways than you can even imagine.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:54   #6
zeke501

CarryTexas...if you are interested in this try watching this video

Tom Horn L A Marzulli and Gary Stearman ..The Secret Alien Agenda...Their are 4 parts ....they have a lot of videos on you tube....see what you think ...zeke
zeke501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:56   #7
CarryTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Yes, we are not alone and in more ways than you can even imagine.
Are you speaking from experience?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:59   #8
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

To paraphrase Enrico Fermi, "If the universe is teeming with intelligent life, why aren't they here?"

It's a tough one to answer. There are possible scenarios of course but none are very convincing. Bottom line is: If there are multitudes of intelligent life capable of interstellar travel they should be here. As far as we can tell they're not. Either they're not here or they are and they're very good at hiding their activities.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17   #9
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

With all due respect to Enrico Fermi, how does he or anyone else know that they aren't here?

I would imagine that any race/entity/culture, etc. that is capable of freely travelling the known galaxy would be equally capable of staying out of sight from a bunch of primates that haven't even cracked intra-stellar travel yet, much less inter-stellar.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17   #10
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTexas View Post
Are you speaking from experience?
I was at a UFO conference in Gulf Breeze, FL in 1993. After the evenings lectures a number of people went to the infamous Shoreline Park in hopes of seeing something unusual. I first sat on a picnic table with another MUFON official and one other gentleman. This guy insisted every light in the sky, and there were a LOT of lights in the sky, was a UFO. As MUFON Field Investigators we tried to tell him they were aircraft either from Pensacola NAS or Pensacola airport. He wasn't buying it. We pointed out the strobe lights and the navigation lights and he still wasn't buying it.

Tiring of the game I moved to another table. This one had a beautiful blond hippy type chick sitting at it. We talked for a few minutes and she said, "Did you see the aliens at the lecture?" Ummm, no, pretty sure there were no aliens at the lecture. She became animated, "YES!, Yes there were! There were glowing blue aliens standing in the corners behind the podium! I thought everyone could see them." She really appeared serious. Then she said, "Why do you suppose they would be here tonight?" Two choices were obvious. Since she really was hot despite the odor of patchouli I chose the second option and said, "Well it's not really surprising that they would want to know how much we know about them now is it?" She was very impressed with my observation and things were looking promising, right up until her husband walked over and sat down.

He proceeded to tell me he had a revolutionary new theory of physics that would change the world and was writing a book. I said, "Cool, I may not understand the math but I would like to read it". He says, "Oh, I don't know any math. This just came to me in a vision". I said good night to them and went back to my room and bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.

ps

In case anyone hasn't figured out what option 1 replying to the blond would be, it was, "There were no aliens. You're bat poop crazy. Seek help"

Last edited by MtBaldy; 11-11-2013 at 11:23..
MtBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:19   #11
MtBaldy
Obie Wan, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmo1066 View Post
I would imagine that any race/entity/culture, etc. that is capable of freely travelling the known galaxy would be equally capable of staying out of sight from a bunch of primates that haven't even cracked intra-stellar travel yet, much less inter-stellar.
And that was one of my options.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:28   #12
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBaldy View Post
And that was one of my options.
I agree with you. Just wanted to throw a bit more out there against Fermi's rather myopic argument.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:39   #13
CarryTexas

Quote:
I was at a UFO conference in Gulf Breeze, FL in 1993. After the evenings lectures a number of people went to the infamous Shoreline Park in hopes of seeing something unusual. I first sat on a picnic table with another MUFON official and one other gentleman. This guy insisted every light in the sky, and there were a LOT of lights in the sky, was a UFO. As MUFON Field Investigators we tried to tell him they were aircraft either from Pensacola NAS or Pensacola airport. He wasn't buying it. We pointed out the strobe lights and the navigation lights and he still wasn't buying it.

Tiring of the game I moved to another table. This one had a beautiful blond hippy type chick sitting at it. We talked for a few minutes and she said, "Did you see the aliens at the lecture?" Ummm, no, pretty sure there were no aliens at the lecture. She became animated, "YES!, Yes there were! There were glowing blue aliens standing in the corners behind the podium! I thought everyone could see them." She really appeared serious. Then she said, "Why do you suppose they would be here tonight?" Two choices were obvious. Since she really was hot despite the odor of patchouli I chose the second option and said, "Well it's not really surprising that they would want to know how much we know about them now is it?" She was very impressed with my observation and things were looking promising, right up until her husband walked over and sat down.

He proceeded to tell me he had a revolutionary new theory of physics that would change the world and was writing a book. I said, "Cool, I may not understand the math but I would like to read it". He says, "Oh, I don't know any math. This just came to me in a vision". I said good night to them and went back to my room and bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.

ps

In case anyone hasn't figured out what option 1 replying to the blond would be, it was, "There were no aliens. You're bat poop crazy. Seek help"
There are certainly nuts out there and any sane person will see that. I gave an example of a credible witness in the 747 crew. These aren't the only witnesses that are credible.

As for how the ETs would say hidden. Well, have they stayed completely hidden? There are tons of witnesses out there. Many are completely normal and some are people who should know what they're talking about like pilots.

I have never personally seen anything I couldn't explain, but I my parents have. And I know they're not by any means nutty.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57   #14
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
Quote:

ps

Oh yeah. While I accept / believe that there is likely life out there, I've met and currently work with a number of people who are really "into it" and they are like you describe. It's scary listening to them talk to each other. It's like they know they are playing a game though...like kids pretending a cowboy / indian game. They know they are acting but they get a kick out of it. At least I hope so.

A recent example is this 50 year old guy (I'll call him Fred because that's his name) that works for me. He's a gun nut who loves the whole alien bit. He's convinced he will pass onto be an alien in the next life and has been told this by some sort of alien mentor guy. So, the mentor offers to tell Fred what his alien name will be, and will show Fred what his "symbol" will be for a small fee of only a couple hundred dollars. Deal baby. So Fred fills out a very short info form where he includes his activities as collecting guns and NRA related events. His name was revealed to him, GUNRA.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:57   #15
Syclone0538

I think it likely that there is life elsewhere. I think it likely that it is too far away for us to even know it is there.
Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01   #16
Syclone0538

Syclone0538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:02   #17
IceAxe

strictly speaking, God is an "extraterrestrial"
IceAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:04   #18
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
And boom goes the dynamite.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:04   #19
GD2J
GoDirectly2Jail

My personal belief is that aliens exist. My personal belief also is that none have visited earth in the past 1000 years (at least), if ever.
GD2J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:11   #20
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

I don't see how anyone could close their mind to the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

But if it exists, they've got a long way to go to get here.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 11-11-2013, 12:32   #21
LASTRESORT20
LongTerm-Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
I don't see how anyone could close their mind to the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

But if it exists, they've got a long way to go to get here.

Regards,
Happyguy

Agree....^^^
But...

"they've got a long way to go to get here"

`Only from the human minds point of view....Time and space is only how humans perceive it based on human tecknowledgy and understanding in this time period.
LASTRESORT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 13:12   #22
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

I think the inability to accept the possibility that we're alone in the universe is due simply to a lack of imagination on one's part. Unlikely? Maybe. Impossible? Not a chance.
gwalchmai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 13:15   #23
racerford

While 8.8 billion sounds like a lot. What if intelligent life was on as many 1 in 1000 of those? I think that is optimistic. So how far would they have to travel to get to us? How many planets would they travel to before they got to us? Would they miss the window in time that we were smart enough to even notice or care. (say the last 50,000 years)?

Would there planet be there when they got back, or would their civilization have been wiped out by a 10 mile wide asteroid hitting their planet. How would they generate to power need to travel as far as our planet? Could their bodies take gravity after travelling across the galaxy with no gravity?

Ok, so you day they would travel by warp or wormhole. So how would they generate the energy for that?

The technological barriers that exist are huge. The distances are huge. The margins of error allowed are tiny. What if you were off by 1 millionth of a per cent, instead arriving in high orbit, you might end up in the earth or the moon, or even the sun. Talk about a bad day! Heck we can't even tell if an asteroid or comet will strike the earth with a great level of certainty. How many have they changed their minds on a lot?

I am not saying that their isn't intelligent life out there. Just not surprised if they haven't found us in the last 50,000 years or 1000 years, or 50 years.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 14:00   #24
CarryTexas

Race,

I am looking at this from a statistical point of view. And at 1-1000 that is 8.8 million planets with intelligent life. Let's just say 1% of those had advanced technology then you'd have 88,000!

We look at things from a perspective of the history of Earth. Our planet is about 4-5 billion years old. Life has been around about 500 million years. It was mostly wiped out three or four times that we know of. The last time being about 65 million years ago.

Let's just say that last event occurred 75 million years ago. And we were 5-10 million years a head of where we are today. I'd say it is highly possible we will have energy sources far more powerful than we can even imagine today.

If this were the case you can bet we would have been exploring intra-stellar space for several million years. There is also a good chance we would have developed technology that would allow us to travel these distances in much shorter timeframes than we think of today.

If 1000 of those had been exploring for 1 million or so and had the ability to travel faster than light through warp or wormholes or something it is very possible that they would search out planets that could support life.

Today we have discovered these planets. What technology will be available in a million years to identify these planets?

Yes, I find this topic very interesting, too bad most of us will probably not live long enough to know the answers for certain, but it is fun to speculate.
Old 11-11-2013, 14:08   #25
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

One of the most fundamental ethical tenets of any intelligent space faring society simply has to be "don't mess with the aborigines." Any society that can't even get it's own butts off of one lousy planet is still aboriginal. I (and many others) predict that when we finally leave our petty bickering about whose imaginary friend can beat up each others and concentrate on exploring our neighboring stars the ET's will be coming out of the woodwork to say "Hi"

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote