SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:42   #1
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Linux OS

A few years ago I played around with Ubuntu & Kubuntu.
At that time I wasn't inclined to spend the time to thoroughly learn these operating systems.

Anyway, I'm thinking about it again. I preferred the Ubuntu OS but I'm guessing somethings have changed since then.

Looking for some suggestions, advice and info about Linux.

Thanks in advance.
OldSchool64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:58   #2
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Ubuntu and Debian are both good choices.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:14   #3
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
A few years ago I played around with Ubuntu & Kubuntu.
At that time I wasn't inclined to spend the time to thoroughly learn these operating systems.

Anyway, I'm thinking about it again. I preferred the Ubuntu OS but I'm guessing somethings have changed since then.

Looking for some suggestions, advice and info about Linux.

Thanks in advance.
If you're learning, one of the *buntu's is where you start (really doesn't matter whether it's Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.). Do you remember what version of Ubuntu you tried? The desktop has changed dramatically int he last 2yrs or so, so it may be totally different than what you remember. Yes, Ubuntu has changed dramatically (especially the last couple of years). Boot a Live CD/USB, and give it a try, post questions.

The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:29   #4
Slug71

Ubuntu will have changed quite a bit since then. It now has the Unity interface VS the Gnome one. I like it but, still not 100% sure if I'm sold on it.
Haven't tried Kubuntu since about 9.10.
I also really like Xubuntu. Back when 9.04 or 9.10 was out, Xubuntu was my favorite of the 3. Ubuntu still had Gnome then.
Now they also have Lubuntu.

I'll second what Bushflyr and IndyGunFreak said.
Download a few Live CDs (which you can later install from) and give them all a spin.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:34   #5
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
If you're learning, one of the *buntu's is where you start (really doesn't matter whether it's Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.). Do you remember what version of Ubuntu you tried? The desktop has changed dramatically int he last 2yrs or so, so it may be totally different than what you remember. Yes, Ubuntu has changed dramatically (especially the last couple of years). Boot a Live CD/USB, and give it a try, post questions.

Had to look up which version I tried, might have been 9.04, atleast that the disk I found. I'm still thinking it was 8.?? that I was playing around with. At any rate it would have been over 4 years ago.

I was downloading the iso and burning a disk to boot from bios and install.
I'll have to try a new version and seen if I have questions from there.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:37   #6
Slug71

One thing about Ubuntu, is that it will probably start appearing on phones and tablets next year.
So you could have a very streamlined user experience across all your devices.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-10-2013, 10:39   #7
Chesafreak

Check out Elementary OS. It's based on Debian Linux and has the look and feel of OSX while being lightweight and fast. http://elementaryos.org/
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:00   #8
dsonyay
NRA Life Member

I'm running PCLinuxOS. Has a look and feel of windows, terrific OS. Been using it since 2007. My home PC and home laptop are both running it.

Ubuntu is also very nice. Mt friend runs the latest Ubuntu. Has a nice look. Apple users transition to it easy since it has the look of apple OS.

No man but feels more of a man in the world if he have a bit of ground that he can call his own. However small it is on the surface, it is four thousand miles deep; and that is a very handsome property. Charles Dudley Warner
dsonyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:10   #9
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Had to look up which version I tried, might have been 9.04, atleast that the disk I found. I'm still thinking it was 8.?? that I was playing around with. At any rate it would have been over 4 years ago.

I was downloading the iso and burning a disk to boot from bios and install.
I'll have to try a new version and seen if I have questions from there.
I'd play around on the Live cd/USB before installing. As mentioned, there has been considerable change in the user interface since Ubuntu 8/9.
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
Old 11-10-2013, 16:45   #10
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
I'd play around on the Live cd/USB before installing. As mentioned, there has been considerable change in the user interface since Ubuntu 8/9.
Good point.

I wouldn't install it on my primary system till I'm sure of the switch. I have some older but still usable computers for playing around with.
Also, I'd be curious how well it works with a less than ideal cpu & memory.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:37   #11
F106 Fan

I have used several iterations of Ubuntu and, in my personal view, they have totally screwed up the user interface. There is no way in the world I will ever install Ubuntu again.

There's one guy, the emperor of Ubuntu, who decided that the new UI was the way to go. Forget all about convention, forget all about 'how it's always been done', let's just turn everything upside down!

I have Debian on my desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop (for the very last time).

I was doing a lot of software development using Ubuntu but I have pretty much walked away from it. If I get back to it, I will be using Debian.

I also like Fedora but I haven't used it in several years.

Richard
Old 11-10-2013, 19:48   #12
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by F106 Fan View Post
I have used several iterations of Ubuntu and, in my personal view, they have totally screwed up the user interface. There is no way in the world I will ever install Ubuntu again.

There's one guy, the emperor of Ubuntu, who decided that the new UI was the way to go. Forget all about convention, forget all about 'how it's always been done', let's just turn everything upside down!

I was doing a lot of software development using Ubuntu but I have pretty much walked away from it. If I get back to it, I will be using Debian.

Richard
I think the biggest reason they switched, was so that they weren't like everyone else. Just about every popular Distro out there was/is using Gnome or KDE.
I think they thought ahead in regards to getting there product on Phones and Tablets too.

I'm still not 100% sold on it as previously mentioned, but I've gotten used to it now.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-10-2013, 20:13   #13
gunslinger3
Μολὼν λαβέ

Mint Linux

This distribution is very good.

http://linuxmint.com/

Check it out.
A fundamental civil right that ends at the doorway of one’s home is not a right at all.
gunslinger3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 21:09   #14
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
I think the biggest reason they switched, was so that they weren't like everyone else. Just about every popular Distro out there was/is using Gnome or KDE.
I think they thought ahead in regards to getting there product on Phones and Tablets too.

I'm still not 100% sold on it as previously mentioned, but I've gotten used to it now.
Well, I think the reason they switched, is they want to integrate the same OS into PC's, laptops, netbooks, tablets, phones, etc. If you've saw the video of the Ubuntu Phone, Unity was clearly designed w/ touchscreens in mind.

As for LinuxMint... it's not bad, but all it is is Ubuntu w/ window dressing... there's really nothing that Mint offers, that Ubuntu doesn't.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 11-10-2013 at 21:10..
Old 11-10-2013, 23:06   #15
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

If you're coming from Windows, check out Linux Mint. It has a standard interface Windows users can appreciate but it's built on top of the speed and stability of Linux. http://www.linuxmint.com "Cinnamon" is the standard version but they have versions for MATE (based on Gnome 2), KDE, and XFCE. If you want even more speed, you can check out their Linux Mint Debian.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:28   #16
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:

Richard
I agree w/ pretty much everything you said. I still recommend Ubuntu a lot for new users, but am using Debian on everything here. For a while, I used Mint w/ Mate on my laptop, but recently switched it to Debian w/ Mate.

Fedora is one of those distros I will always love. Fedora 3/4 is actually the first versions of Linux I got to work 100%, due to some wonky hardware I had back then. Then Ubuntu 6.06 came out and I ended up totally hooked on Debian based releases. Usually when a new Fedora release comes out, I take it for a spin.. either with Live CD's or Vbox. While I find I still prefer Debian based systems.. Fedora is an excellent release if you like the RH based systems. If for some reason I ever found myself not liking Debian any longer... after dealing with a bit of a learning curve going back to the RH side, I'd have no issue at all going back to Fedora.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 11-11-2013 at 05:33..
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29   #17
dwhite53

Quote:

Richard
Most of the nerd types I talk to, my son included, don't like the unity interface. I've tried it and don't like it either. But, to each their own.

Regarding Mint, the guy that started it is/was an anti-semite Frog (French) and is/was very vocal about it.
http://jay4rest.wordpress.com/2011/0...gainst-israel/

All the Best,
D. White

Last edited by dwhite53; 11-11-2013 at 05:33..
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:39   #18
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhite53 View Post
Most of the nerd types I talk to, my son included, don't like the unity interface. I've tried it and don't like it either. But, to each their own.
Unity, I think would be fine on a touch screen.. I just think it fails with a keyboard/mouse.. It's really not that bad once you get used to it, but IMO there's definitely better desktops out there.

Gnome 3, is WAY worse than Unity, if you ask me. I'd switch to Windows if Gnome 3 was the only desktop GUI available (yes, I really hate it..lol).

Fortunately, there's a lot of choices out there so that should never be a bridge I have to cross.. lol.
RIP Jack
Old 11-11-2013, 05:46   #19
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Good point.

I wouldn't install it on my primary system till I'm sure of the switch. I have some older but still usable computers for playing around with.
Also, I'd be curious how well it works with a less than ideal cpu & memory.
Well, it depends on how "less than ideal" we're talking. There's a lot of "flash" to the new desktops (wobbly windows, desktop effects, etc..) that stuff takes cpu and memory. If you are low on either, be realistic and choose something that is designed to run on a PC low on resources.

Personally, if I was in that situation, I'd run either Lubuntu (Ubuntu w/ LXDE), or Fedora w/ LXDE. Personally, I think Fedora's LXDE spin is better than Ubuntu's LXDE spin, but they're both good.
RIP Jack
Old 11-11-2013, 23:31   #20
Slug71

Quote:
Well, I think the reason they switched, is they want to integrate the same OS into PC's, laptops, netbooks, tablets, phones, etc. If you've saw the video of the Ubuntu Phone, Unity was clearly designed w/ touchscreens in mind.

As for LinuxMint... it's not bad, but all it is is Ubuntu w/ window dressing... there's really nothing that Mint offers, that Ubuntu doesn't.
Agreed.
Foresight Linux is pretty cool too. Haven't spent a whole lot of time on it though.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-11-2013, 23:34   #21
Slug71

Quote:
Personally, if I was in that situation, I'd run either Lubuntu (Ubuntu w/ LXDE), or Fedora w/ LXDE. Personally, I think Fedora's LXDE spin is better than Ubuntu's LXDE spin, but they're both good.
I still need to give these a try.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-11-2013, 23:38   #22
Slug71

Quote:
Gnome 3, is WAY worse than Unity, if you ask me. I'd switch to Windows if Gnome 3 was the only desktop GUI available (yes, I really hate it..lol).
A LOT of Ubuntu testers, developers and users on the Forum feel the same way. I think that has a lot to do with Ubuntu switching to Unity.

That and the standard interface across all devices as previously mentioned.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Old 11-12-2013, 02:44   #23
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug71 View Post
A LOT of Ubuntu testers, developers and users on the Forum feel the same way. I think that has a lot to do with Ubuntu switching to Unity.

That and the standard interface across all devices as previously mentioned.
I think the switch to Unity was inevitable, whether Gnome 3 sucked or not. Unity was out before Gnome 3 was final, and Canonical clearly had a goal in mind when they started development. The writing was on the wall Gnome 3 was gonna suck for quite a while... and it delivered in shockingly bad fashion.
RIP Jack
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20   #24
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Well, it depends on how "less than ideal" we're talking. There's a lot of "flash" to the new desktops (wobbly windows, desktop effects, etc..) that stuff takes cpu and memory. If you are low on either, be realistic and choose something that is designed to run on a PC low on resources.

I have no use for the extra flash of desktop visual effects,
simple and useable is fine for me.

Here's a question that may make ya laugh, but still serious.
I have some Gigabyte MB's with 3000+ socket A/462 processors and 1 gig DDR 400 memory, will they run Lubuntu or Fedora?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:46   #25
NIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
Check out Elementary OS. It's based on Debian Linux and has the look and feel of OSX while being lightweight and fast. http://elementaryos.org/
I'm giving Elementary OS a try on my laptop and I really like what I see. My 6 year old laptop is running much faster and smoother than with Windows Vista.
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams
It's Heaven and Hell
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote