Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2013, 22:38   #1
rkrk

Question re mag spring replacment

I have FTF with my Gen 3 G23 when running a TLR-1 (I know this is a commonly reported issue).

The gun is completely reliable without a light attached

I am planning on replacing the stock magazine springs with 10 or 11 coil springs.

My question is whether it is worth changing out other magazine components when doing the spring change?

Also, one replacement spring better then another?

Thanks in advance

rk
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 23:12   #2
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrk View Post
I am planning on replacing the stock magazine springs with 10 or 11 coil springs.

My question is whether it is worth changing out other magazine components when doing the spring change?
No, no reason to change the follower unless it's obviously damaged, and changing to the *wrong* follower is also possible, all mag tubes are not the same.

I'd try the 10 coil spring from Glock.....or, if you want to spend the money, maybe a Wolff +10% G23 mag spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 23:14   #3
glock2wenty

Is the FTF issue with a light attached (something I've heard before, too) true across all models or specific to certain ones?
glock2wenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 23:43   #4
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2wenty View Post
Is the FTF issue with a light attached (something I've heard before, too) true across all models or specific to certain ones?
The G22 is the 'primary' gun involved.

Does it happen with others? Apparently, but it seems to be rare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:21   #5
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Thread about this some months ago. Discusted and exploreded and after summoning the high lord of Glock, in a nut case it was decided that it was a matter of harmonics with certain models.
Were I more awake I'd dig up the thread for you. I can't help with the your idea about changing springs, but you might find some useful info if you can find it about the problem of certain weapons not playing well with lights.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:34   #6
Bruce M

I am thinking if I had a gun that had failures with a light attached and then I removed the light and the gun was fine and then I reattached the light and the problem came back, I would remove the light and never put it on the gun again.

And I like lights almost as much as I like guns, and Belgian beer and women, and cash and cool cars and... well you get the idea. But some certain favorite things may not mix well.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 11-10-2013 at 10:37..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:40   #7
Made in Austria

I too had problems with a G23 gen4 with a Streamlight attached. Some Glocks just can't handle a weapon light. The Glock frame is way too soft in my opinion, which allows to much frame flex. Time for Glock to reinforce the frame a bit, like other gun makers do. But I am sure they are not going to do that.
Made in Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 20:51   #8
rkrk

Thanks for the replies. I will change out the magazine springs and see how it goes.

rk
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 21:18   #9
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
I am thinking if I had a gun that had failures with a light attached and then I removed the light and the gun was fine and then I reattached the light and the problem came back, I would remove the light and never put it on the gun again.

And I like lights almost as much as I like guns, and Belgian beer and women, and cash and cool cars and... well you get the idea. But some certain favorite things may not mix well.
I'm throwing in with Bruce M, here, all the way.

This thread has 2 compact 40s and 1 full size mentioned. Is the compact (G23) more likely to not feed, with a light, than the full size (G22)?

Edit: Gut feelings are accepted it doesn't have to be fact.

Last edited by AustinTx; 11-11-2013 at 21:19..
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 22:13   #10
Beanie-Bean

In the armorer's class I took in Houston, the instructor discussed this, and recommended the following:

1. Ensure that the latest followers for your magazine are installed.
2. Use a paper clip to tighten the screw on the TLR-1. As soon as it starts to twist, it's tight enough. He stressed that the screw didn't have to be tightened down a lot.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:41   #11
voyager4520
-----

If the new springs don't fix it there may be something else worth trying. .40 magazines that have a "1" or "2" to the bottom right of the Glock logo on the rear of the magazine tube have protrusions of plastic at the front of each feed lip which are much larger than those of previous versions of .40 magazines. They may be so big that they slow the rise of the rounds and cause failures to feed even without a light attached, but once the protrusions are trimmed down they work fine. If your magazine tubes have "1" or "2" on them you might try shaving those protrusions down on one of the magazines. Those protrusions serve no real purpose other than to prevent follower tilt in an empty magazine, you can remove them entirely and it won't cause any problems.
(22-round .40 magazines are technically "2" tubes even though they're not marked)

Last edited by voyager4520; 11-13-2013 at 09:42..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote