Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2013, 16:57   #1
njl

St. Augustine, 2013 Debriefing & Photo Thread

So, for those who shot today, how'd it go?
Old 11-09-2013, 18:02   #2
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Pretty reasonable for a first time. I walked in about 2:00 to register and was in the mid-500's numbers. It could be a big one. Not enough help today for all the set-ups they had.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member

Last edited by willie_pete; 11-09-2013 at 18:03.. Reason: edit for sp.
willie_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 18:51   #3
wlkjr

Check your score sheet before you initial it. One of mine didn't have all my shots on it and I wasn't paying attention. My bad.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 18:56   #4
James5m

Cancel

Last edited by James5m; 11-09-2013 at 19:00..
James5m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 20:06   #5
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
Check your score sheet before you initial it. One of mine didn't have all my shots on it and I wasn't paying attention. My bad.
I had that happen last year in Orlando, and it cost me some $. I plan to pay more attention to detail on the score sheets. If you find a discrepancy (like shots/hits not adding up to the right number), it's got to be dealt with at the match, or missing hits are counted as misses.
Old 11-09-2013, 22:43   #6
njl

I just loaded 32 mags in preparation for shooting tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2013, 22:45   #7
wlkjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
I just loaded 32 mags in preparation for shooting tomorrow.
I reckon I should recognize then.
Old 11-09-2013, 23:59   #8
njl

Quote:
I reckon I should recognize then.
huh? This way, I don't have to load mags at the match unless they have a practice plate rack or I have to do any reshoots.

I'm pretty sure for some of the regulars, loading 30 mags would be a good start on their match mags prep.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:14   #9
ede
Bama's Friend

I load over 90 mags for my six and wife's three divisions. Last few matches I've got her to gage check ammo.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:10   #10
whiskey_moodz

Send a message via ICQ to whiskey_moodz Send a message via AIM to whiskey_moodz Send a message via Yahoo to whiskey_moodz
For my first time I had a great time, learned a lot from watching others and how to prepare for the next event.
I eat T-bone steaks, I lift barbell plates. I'm sweeter than a German chocolate cake. I'm the reflection of perfection, the number one selection. I'm the man of the hour, the man with the power, too sweet to be sour. The ladies' pet, the men's regret, where what you see is what you get, and what you don't see, is better yet." Whiskey Moodz
whiskey_moodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:27   #11
njl

I pre-registered Tuesday, IIRC, this past week and got registration #'s in the mid 300s.

I arrived in St. Augustine just about noon today, and though there weren't visible lines of waiting shooters, it still took about 3 hours to get through the stages.

Seems like a very nice range, well suited for GSSF. I think the only real room for improvement would be more ROs with more GSSF RO experience. At least at one stage, starting position was not well enforced, and I watched a shooter shoot all his strings from "high ready"...i.e. he probably wasn't looking through the sights at a target until the buzzer, but there was barely any difference in his starting position and shooting position.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:42   #12
wlkjr

Not trying to be critical, but it seemed it was the first time for some of the RO's. Our first stages on Sat. morning, we were not given the Standby command. When questioned, we were told that they were told not to give Standby. Later on that seemed to have changed. Overall it was good, but as with most things, experience helps. I think matches at new venues should be given a little more training.
Old 11-10-2013, 17:51   #13
ede
Bama's Friend

If I don't get stand by command I don't start.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 17:51   #14
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

I RO'd both days. Saw entry number 640, don't know how many more after that. I won't be volunteering to RO there any more. Not enough people and those they did have , they didn't manage well. I RO'd one stage ( plates) for 6 hours and no break and they wouldn't let me snag some brass that I had been stepping on all day.

WP

NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic/Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO, Certified Glock Armorer, NRA Life Member
Old 11-10-2013, 17:53   #15
willie_pete
NRA Life Member

Quote:
. Our first stages on Sat. morning, we were not given the Standby command. When questioned, we were told that they were told not to give Standby. .
Not true. They went over the commands on the Sat. RO meeting. Standby was included.

WP

Old 11-10-2013, 18:20   #16
njl

Anytime you have a match at a new location, it's a pretty good bet that most of the ROs will be new to GSSF. That's unavoidable.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:22   #17
njl

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
I RO'd both days. Saw entry number 640, don't know how many more after that. I won't be volunteering to RO there any more. Not enough people and those they did have , they didn't manage well. I RO'd one stage ( plates) for 6 hours and no break and they wouldn't let me snag some brass that I had been stepping on all day.

WP
Was the range claiming all left brass? Being able to collect brass is one of my motivations for RO'ing.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:31   #18
wlkjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_pete View Post
Not true. They went over the commands on the Sat. RO meeting. Standby was included.

WP
I'm sure it was a misunderstanding by a couple of new ROs. It is specifically stated in the Rules for the ROs that Standby is "the final warning to the competitor that shooting is imminent."
I think Glock should do a better job of making sure there are enough ROs at each match, post signs about pasting targets. Most new shooters don't understand the process as I didn't three months ago. There were additional people from GA and SC that ended up volunteering. Again, not being critical of the Ancient City people. I don't think any new venues know what all is required to make it run smoothly.
As an aside comment, I had the privilege of watching James Linebarger shoot two stages and spoke with him briefly. He was really a nice guy and not full of himself.
We overheard a couple of guys talking about how easy and close all the targets looked and how they could shoot them blindfolded. Didn't have to use many pasters on their targets.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:33   #19
njl

Oh...and my big "Doh!" for the day...I was so preoccupied with paying attention to the hits numbers adding up properly (after getting hosed with a 10s penalty on a scorekeeper's error my previous match), that I didn't notice nobody was marking pistol/division on my sheets for M or 5-to-Glock...so I don't know which sheets are for which divisions...so I can't tally my scores.

Note to self...do that yourself in the future.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:50   #20
Roadkill_751
5 or 6 rounds?

!

Quote:
I think Glock should do a better job of making sure there are enough ROs at each match, post signs about pasting targets
That is the respective gun club's job to get the RO's to volunteer not GSSF's issue.

For my match at Dawsonville, I made up signs posted at each bay to asking the shooters waiting to help paste targets. I had one of my RO's who was doing the squadding, handing out pasters as the shooter X'ed their name off the sheet. By doing this their bay was turning an entry every five minutes. So there was little wait for the shooters.

So if a shooter wants to finish the match quicker, he/she needs step up and help paste targets and reset steel.

Last edited by Roadkill_751; 11-10-2013 at 18:50..
Roadkill_751 is offline   Reply With Quote