SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:46   #1
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Fake Veterans

I cant stand these guys. I have run into a few of them over the years and now days it can be difficult to tell the real from the imposters. With Veterans Day approaching, im sure we will start seeing more and more of them coming out from behind their computers.

Anyone else ever encounter one of these?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:52   #2
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
I cant stand these guys. I have run into a few of them over the years and now days it can be difficult to tell the real from the imposters. With Veterans Day approaching, im sure we will start seeing more and more of them coming out from behind their computers.

Anyone else ever encounter one of these?
Yep......used to know a guy that had Vietnam 1968 tattooed on his arm, but never served a day in the military. I knew this, because I knew his brother.

ooc

Here is a well known photo of a fake Vietnam veteran crying at the Vietnam memorial. What a total scumbag.
The Okie Corral
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link
www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha

Last edited by hogship; 11-09-2013 at 03:59..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:59   #3
The Maggy

http://guardianofvalor.com/hall-of-shame/

Check out McDowell. Truely amazing how in depth some of these people go. A couple of VA benifit scammers in there too.

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:32   #4
raven11

our college vets club ran into this 2-3 times this month. probably because call of duty and battlefield 4 was release recently

these jokers are getting annoying because frankly these kids have the most absurd political stances or action and using " I'm a veteran" to give themselves some cred that they don't have because they live a sad pampered life

one of these days one of these kids is going to get decked in the face.

Last edited by raven11; 11-09-2013 at 04:45..
raven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:39   #5
DonMerlin

I am amazed at how young some of these Nam vets are. LOL
It's like Nam is the new Woodstock.
DonMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:40   #6
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Buds131 has a great channel on YouTube with his famous "Phony SEAL of the Week". Great stuff!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:54   #7
Deltic

I met one in a class A uniform. He tried to recruit me into his organization After talking to him for 30 seconds I started to wonder if he was for real, and he decided he did not like my questions. It was very strange. I don't understand why you would fake something. If you try hard enough you can do something real.

Last edited by Deltic; 11-09-2013 at 04:57.. Reason: I left a two letter word out.
Deltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:04   #8
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

I hope that everyone will keep a close eye out for these people on Veterans Day. Many restaurants may not be able to tell the difference and smell the BS but I will straight up call them out if I see one. Many of them are just looking for the attention and a free meal but they are just taking a real soldiers seat and pulling the food right out of their mouth the way I see it.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:21   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

The obvious fakes range from things that make me really angry to ones that are just funny. But the ones that disturb me the most are the real veterans with fake stories. Seems like most guys in the VFW were special forces in 'Nam, Mostly they are guys who really went to war and maybe even were really infantry, paratroopers, etc., but somehow later on they start making up BS to add to it and they really don't seem to know that everybody else thinks they're full of *&^%. Heck, with some it starts while they are still in the military - on both of my trips to Afghanistan, I have run into guys who were wearing badges that were suspected of being fake and who tended to inflate their stories about what they have done. Those annmoy me more than some 300 lb. loser who has never served a day talking about when he was a special forces ninja for the CIA.

I'm annoyed right now at some senior NCO's and field grade officers walking around with screaming eagle combat patches, even though they aren't even attached to the 101st, because one of them (full colonel) wrote a memo saying they could wear it. Tecvhnically, they won''t be fakes if they can get the real documentation issued for what they want to wear.

Last edited by Bren; 11-09-2013 at 05:39..
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:27   #10
JBnTX
None

How do these people reconcile or live with what they're doing within themselves? How do they look themselves in the mirror?

That's the part I don't understand.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:42   #11
Glock19Fan
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
How do these people reconcile or live with what they're doing within themselves? How do they look themselves in the mirror?

Most have narcissistic personalities. At the end of the day, they get attention and that is what they crave.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:51   #12
walt cowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
The obvious fakes range from things that make me really angry to ones that are just funny. But the ones that disturb me the most are the real veterans with fake stories. Seems like most guys in the VFW were special forces in 'Nam, Mostly they are guys who really went to war and maybe even were really infantry, paratroopers, etc., but somehow later on they start making up BS to add to it and they really don't seem to know that everybody else thinks they're full of *&^%. Heck, with some it starts while they are still in the military - on both of my trips to Afghanistan, I have run into guys who were wearing badges that were suspected of being fake and who tended to inflate their stories about what they have done. Those annmoy me more than some 300 lb. loser who has never served a day talking about when he was a special forces ninja for the CIA.

I'm annoyed right now at some senior NCO's and field grade officers walking around with screaming eagle combat patches, even though they aren't even attached to the 101st, because one of them (full colonel) wrote a memo saying they could wear it. Tecvhnically, they won''t be fakes if they can get the real documentation issued for what they want to wear.
Like John Kerry.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:59   #13
Deltic

Quote:

I don't think it is about what they think about themselves, it is about what others think about them
Deltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:02   #14
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I was in a bar with my wife a few months ago and one came up and started telling me about his service in Afghanistan. I asked him who he was with, and he said, "Marines, but don't ask what my MOS was, it's a secret one and I'm not allowed to disclose it."

I started laughing out loud and he asked me why I was laughing and I told him, "You know why." and he got up and left. My wife asked me why I was laughing at a veteran.

They are everywhere. (And, I'm not even a veteran, but I've worked around the military enough to know a little about how to spot a fake one).

Last edited by series1811; 11-09-2013 at 06:03..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:25   #15
eagle359

Some are so faked they have a DD215!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:25   #16
relayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock19Fan View Post
Most have narcissistic personalities. At the end of the day, they get attention and that is what they crave.
Bingo ! ! You nailed it . I used to work with a guy that was a former Marine . Vietnam era . His MOS was Radar and electronics related but he made up stories about everything from Sniper Instructor to leading a squad in combat . He was the worst liar I had ever met . His stories would conflict with other lies he told previously . Everything about this guy was designed to draw attention to himself .
relayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:37   #17
GLOCK30JOHN

I was with a couple of friends in Chili's last year for our free meal. There were 4 guys sitting behind us, 3 were wearing SEAL t shirts, and one was wearing a McP's "Home of the Navy SEALs" tshirt. A I was leaving I asked the one with the McP's t shirt when was last time he was there, he said he hadn't been to Norfolk VA in awhile.We laughed and one of my friends asked if any of them had been on the USS Grinder out of Coronado. They said no ships just "subs".We walked away shaking our heads wondering what these guys used for ID.
GLOCK30JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:47   #18
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Before my city finally got a "no pandering" law passed, the nearby VA would go pick up the "homeless vets" with signs by a local exit with offers of a place to stay and 3 hot meals a day. About 10% turned out to be Vets. One ran away, got in his $70,000+ RV and drove off.

Turds happen.
Cavalry Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:49   #19
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:

Once you shed your honor and any sense of decency, you can't feel shame.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:54   #20
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Once you shed your honor and any sense of decency, you can't feel shame.
Looks like BO took lessons from some phoney vets.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:55   #21
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:

I've met plenty of those, and worse. A Vet service connected for PTSD because her boyfriend deployed. Being JAG, you've probably realized that wearing a uniform doesn't necessarily make you a good guy. I met plenty in Mannheim at the military confinement facility. I've never been special ops, but have plenty of friends that are or were. I'd never think for a second to pretend to be anything I wasn't, even though I have been accused here more than once of being just that. I'm very happy with who I am and have been, and don't need to be any more than that.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:29   #22
The Maggy

Quote:

Its kind of funny. We always had one or two pogs with a sf combat patch. They spent a month or two turning wrenches for a team somewhere and then they glue that patch on for life. It always made me laugh a little.

I came away with papers for 1st and 3rd ID combat patches but it never felt right taking off my eagle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

The Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50   #23
Dave.1

I saw a tv show a couple of years ago that said they had a rash of fake vets starting shortly after 9/11. The explanation was that people wanted to feel like they had done something patriotic.

I was discharged in 1968 and some of you may remember, Vietnam vets weren't real popular at the time. I had a circle of friends but we really kept a low profile and learned to keep things to ourselves. We've all drifted apart and many passed on with alcohol problems. Most people I know these days don't even know my past and that's good with me. I was raised knowing I had an obligation to my country and I did my best to fulfill it.

The real fakes that I run into these days are the guys that got multiple deferments in the '60s but are the biggest hawks when it comes to sending our young men into harms way.

Dave
Dave.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:51   #24
Delmonte67
Glock 40 cal.

The government should issue permanent Veteran photo ID's other than just a DD214 on paper. Simple- no recent Veteran photo id- no free meal, any scumbag posers get caught- they get posted on a special website for everyone to see. :mad:
Thank you- to all my brothers and sisters who have stood a post near and far.

Last edited by Delmonte67; 11-09-2013 at 10:54..
Delmonte67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:03   #25
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

I am amazed on how many Vietnam and Gulf war "snipers" I have met.

I like to ask, "Did you ever fired a DD214 assault rifle when you were in?"

Too many times to count I have been given a Yes answer, and technical specs of said weapon.......