SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-07-2013, 16:21   #1
WarCry

Guns & Ammo fires two for an opinion piece

http://www.connecttristates.com/news...3#.UnwfmflwrIs

Dick Metcalf has written for G&A for quite a while. Now he writes an opinion piece that says the 2nd Amendment is like all of the others - subject to certain limits - and the readers blew up. So, Metcalf won't be writing for G&A any more, and the editor that approved it had his retirement accelerated.

What does it say about the gun community that one of our own - Metcalf's family farm is the site of PASA Park, a stellar shooting facility in this area and host of numerous national competitions - can't express an opinion like this without getting the door slammed in his face?
Old 11-07-2013, 16:25   #2
p.d.

It says actions have consequences. He expressed his opinion, others expressed theirs.
p.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:27   #3
WarCry

Yeah, because any voice of (falsely perceived) dissent must be crushed!

Last edited by WarCry; 11-07-2013 at 16:28..
WarCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:32   #4
p.d.

You can always hire him to write for your gun magazine and tell us to pound salt if we complain about him.

Last edited by p.d.; 11-07-2013 at 16:45..
p.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:35   #5
Cmacc

It says that gun rights enthusiasts have little tolerance for differing opinions than the ones they choose to have, from the writers they choose to read in the magazines they choose to buy with the money they earned. And this particular magazine recognized that if they wanted to continue to recieve ANY of those resources they would have to choose to be similarly intolerant.

PS - please not that the word intolerance in the above statement is NOT intended to be a negative attribute.
Old 11-07-2013, 16:38   #6
eb07
Sharkin'

Business decision. His comments caused cancellation. Cancellation means less revenue. Your fired. Only someone with no financial sense would think that was the wrong decision.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:41   #7
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

There is no "sporting" use for an AR platform either.

There are CONSEQUENCES for ALL your actions. First amendment or not. Everything you do has ramifications. Period.

He posted his views during a time of high tension regarding the 2nd amendment and he paid the price. Period.

Elections have consequences.

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin
EdTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:41   #8
GunHo198

He's entitled to his opinion. But if he wants to put it in print, and it reflects negativity in the community he writes for, then he needs to write for a more liberal magazine.
Old 11-07-2013, 16:46   #9
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarCry View Post
http://www.connecttristates.com/news...3#.UnwfmflwrIs

Dick Metcalf has written for G&A for quite a while. Now he writes an opinion piece that says the 2nd Amendment is like all of the others - subject to certain limits - and the readers blew up. So, Metcalf won't be writing for G&A any more, and the editor that approved it had his retirement accelerated.

What does it say about the gun community that one of our own - Metcalf's family farm is the site of PASA Park, a stellar shooting facility in this area and host of numerous national competitions - can't express an opinion like this without getting the door slammed in his face?
Who are you blaming?

Those of us who disagree with him? Or those who fired him?

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 11-07-2013, 16:48   #10
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
Business decision. His comments caused cancellation. Cancellation means less revenue. Your fired. Only someone with no financial sense would think that was the wrong decision.
This is the correct answer in a free market economy.

Regards,
Happyguy
Old 11-07-2013, 16:52   #11
WarCry

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguy View Post
Who are you blaming?

Those of us who disagree with him? Or those who fired him?

Regards,
Happyguy
Well, the hot thing around here is that anytime an opinion is repressed, it's deemed a violation of the 1st amendment, right? I'm sure there's a few threads I can find that show that opinion.

MY point is not that, however (because I don't believe it). My point is that the anti-gun crowd try to paint all gunowners as "gun nuts". So what kind of fuel do you think it throws on the fire when a "gun guy" (Metcalf has been in the field for a long time) writes a piece like this and gets shown the door?

When moderate voices are shut out of the conversations, what's left?
Old 11-07-2013, 16:57   #12
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat

Quote:
Well, the hot thing around here is that anytime an opinion is repressed, it's deemed a violation of the 1st amendment, right? I'm sure there's a few threads I can find that show that opinion.

MY point is not that, however (because I don't believe it). My point is that the anti-gun crowd try to paint all gunowners as "gun nuts". So what kind of fuel do you think it throws on the fire when a "gun guy" (Metcalf has been in the field for a long time) writes a piece like this and gets shown the door?

I just know that if I did something that cost my boss a bunch of money I wouldn't be around for long.

We have freedom of speech just like a penny ante gun writer.

I wouldn't have fired him but that's just me. Unlike some others I value loyalty.

Regards,
Happyguy

Last edited by happyguy; 11-07-2013 at 17:00..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:58   #13
Catshooter

Metcalf pulled a 'Zumbo' and paid the same consequences.

Amazing that any writer in these trying times would not heed the lessons of Jim Zumbo. I mean come on he committed writers suicide not all that long ago.

War Cry,

I can understand your problem with these firings. But there are times when differing opinions can land you in trouble. We are still under attack and the anti's are always on the look out for a lever to divide us.

"Moderate" in this fight means we loose. Every compromise we ever enter into leaves us with less and less access to our rights.

You might look to your user name!

Cat

Last edited by Catshooter; 11-07-2013 at 17:00..
Catshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:59   #14
eb07
Sharkin'

I'm sure this would have went over just as good if some motorcycle writer started opining about how more regulations on sport bikes or Harley's need to be enacted. Or if a car rag started bagging on horsepower regulations for sport cars.

Business is business. Don't piss off your target market.
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 16:59   #15
EdTracker
Lifetime Membership

Quote:

Try to post consenting views on Democratic Underground and see how far you get.

The message is defined, and delineated, by the medium.

Exercise your rights all you want but don't be shocked when multitudes of those express theirs.

GTDS

"Don't retreat, just reload"
Sarah Palin

Last edited by EdTracker; 11-07-2013 at 17:01.. Reason: originally "media" not "medium"
EdTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:00   #16
vikingsoftpaw

Quote:
It says that the lesson Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks learned is not lost on others; your alienated fan base need not enrich you.

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." - St. Augustine
vikingsoftpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:06   #17
whoflungdo

Quote:

Once that editorial was published, it was fuel for the anti-gun crowd. Firing him gives them the least amount of ammunition.

ETA: the 1A is a restraint on the federal government, not businesses.

GTDS Certified Member #9

Last edited by whoflungdo; 11-07-2013 at 17:09..
whoflungdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:10   #18
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

“We must all hang together or we will all hang separately.” (Ben Franklin)

I live in NY State. Existing here is proof positive of the above statement. Anyone who does not get the fact that we are under constant attack from all sides as gun owners is too dense for words.

Articles such as Metcalf's gives succor to the enemy. Theirs is a long term strategy of chipping away at the Second Amendment, letter by letter, punctuation by punctuation until nothing is left. Metcalf gave them more ammunition in that fight.

He suffered the consequences.

I feel no sympathy for him nor his editor at all.
Old 11-07-2013, 17:24   #19
RenegadeGlocker

Quote:
Says we are finally getting our $#^@ together.

FWIW, it was not his opinions that got him in trouble but his false facts and rank ignorance.

Last edited by RenegadeGlocker; 11-07-2013 at 17:25..
RenegadeGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 17:27   #20
RGbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac45 View Post
“We must all hang together or we will all hang separately.” (Ben Franklin)

I live in NY State. Existing here is proof positive of the above statement. Anyone who does not get the fact that we are under constant attack from all sides as gun owners is too dense for words.

Articles such as Metcalf's gives succor to the enemy. Theirs is a long term strategy of chipping away at the Second Amendment, letter by letter, punctuation by punctuation until nothing is left. Metcalf gave them more ammunition in that fight.

He suffered the consequences.

I feel no sympathy for him nor his editor at all.
Neither do I, as the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence picked up Metcalf's article to post on their facebook site.

We don't need to feed the enemy!
Old 11-07-2013, 17:28   #21
Hyksos

Free market. He should have known better.
Old 11-07-2013, 18:28   #22
racerford

If you bite the hand that feeds you, don't be surprised if the hand stops feeding you.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:34   #23
silentpoet

Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya. Good bye traitor.
silentpoet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:40   #24
ChuteTheMall
What Difference

Fudd him.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 18:43   #25
ddbtoth

Quote:

The 1A restricts the government's ability to modulate or control the citizen's right to express his opinion. Last time I read the 1A, I didn't see where it mentioned G&A owners were also so restricted.

"Thank you, but I would rather die behind the chemical sheds."
ddbtoth is offline   Reply With Quote