SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-04-2013, 23:59   #1
Kaiser Soze
Notorious

Haiyan na, Super Typhoon na naman...

Hey guys, been reading and monitoring the news and heard about the possible Super Typhoon scheduled to make landfall on Thursday...

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...hl-on-thursday

Possible Super Typhoon on Thursday. It may bring the usual floods, power outages, and mudslides. IT'S ONLY TUESDAY so we all have time to prepare.

1. Clear the outside of your homes of things that may fly or fall over. Flying debris can cause injury to you or damage your house.

2. If you live in a flood prone area, maybe its time to park your car somewhere higher.

3. Check your house for possible leak points.

4. Stock up on your essentials. Potable water and food is always good to have; if you don't use your emergency supplies, great, you can either save it for another rainy day, or donate to the RED CROSS. Light sources like candles are good, but there are safer alternatives nowadays, rechargeable lights available at most hardware stores use batteries similar to cellphones which hold a charge for a long time, and since they're LED's they last LOOOOONG.

5. Prepare an emergency kit for your car or office. You never know when you may have to spend the night, or get stranded somewhere.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

PLAN AHEAD. ALAM MO NANG MAY BAGYO, WAG KA NANG GUMAWA NG PLANO SA LABAS. ( In English: You know there's a storm coming, so don't schedule anything like a meeting or a trip outside).

"Do unto others as they do unto you...but do it FIRST!"

S.O.E. Tambay #7
Kaiser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:59   #2
Allegra

Tatama pala satin
Thur na nga lang bakante gumimik magiging stay at home pa
Malamang brownout pa
Not a good week
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Allegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 23:19   #3
Kaiser Soze
Notorious

LIFELINE KIT

The first 72 hours after a disaster is critical. Electricity, fuel, water, telephone or mobile lines may not be working. In addition, public safety services and private rescue teams may not be able to reach you immediately during a serious crisis. Each person should be prepared to be self-reliant and able to survive for at least three days following a disaster.

To do so, you need to have your Red Cross Lifeline kit in order to survive. The Lifeline Kit is a portable kit or bag that contains the items one would require to survive for the first seventy-two hours when evacuating from a disaster. The focus is on evacuation survival rather than long-term survival. It is important that you will be able to distinguish the Lifeline Kit from a fixed-site disaster supplies kit. The kit should be checked every six months to make sure that goods nearing expiration are changed and that stored water is replaced to maintain its freshness and effectiveness.

Put together a Lifeline Kit before another disaster strikes. It should be practical that you can carry it with you if you ever need to evacuate your home. It is also important to prepare a kit for each member of your family who is able to carry one. Older children can prepare their own kits - this exercise will train your children to make disaster preparedness a way of life.

To start, let us go through the list below and start putting the kit together. Note: Contents may vary depending on individual and family needs or whatever is commercially available.

I. WATER
Normally, one can survive without food intake for 5 days as long as there is water intake. Prepare clean water in clean airtight containers for washing, drinking and cooking:
- 1 gallon (3.78 litres) per person per day [1 ltr for drinking and 3 ltrs for washing]
- Water purification supplies (One purification tablet can purify a liter of water. 1 tablet per person per day for water purification.)

II. FOOD
- Store only non-perishable food.
- You can put protein/granola bars, dried fruit, crackers, cereals, canned goods like tuna, beans, sausages, etc. (It is recommended to store easy-to-open cans.)
- In case of hypoglycemia, canned juice or hard sweet candies are recommended (not gum based or mint).
- Food should be sufficient for three days consumption of every family member.
- Disposable plates and utensils.

III. EMERGENCY TOOLS / GEAR
- Plastic laminated ID card for family member(s) with special concerns. Indicate name, address, phone, who to call in case of emergency, contact details, the condition of the bearer and special instructions on what to do in case seen unconscious (e.g. diabetic). For children who cannot speak, they must also wear the ID card (in case they are reported missing, anyone who will find them will be able to contact their parents).
- Emergency numbers to call (Red Cross Opcen, Red Cross Chapter, fire station, hospital, etc.)
- Red Cross 143 Emergency / Disaster Guide explaining what to do in various types of disasters. These should be thoroughly studied and understood before the actual disaster but must be kept for reference. (Teach all family members how to use it).
- Maps with indication of evacuation sites and routes
- Whistle (This is highly suggested, use a whistle that is loud and has a compass on it.)
- Flashlight with extra batteries (self-powered flashlight is suggested)
- Multi-purpose knife
- Matches or lighter and candles (Do not use matches or candles until you are certain there are no gas leaks. There are commercially available waterproof matches.)
- AM radio transistor with extra batteries or self-powered (You need to monitor the news continuously to know the weather condition and any possible threats.)
- Glow sticks
- Plastic sheeting or garbage bag (For floor mats, cover items so as not to get wet, or use as a rain coat.)
- Heating blankets (thin, easy to carry and warm)
- Ropes (avoid nylon)
- Sleeping bag

IV. PERSONAL EFFECTS AND HYGIENE KIT
- Extra Clothing (Short and long sleeved shirts, pants, jackets, socks, etc.)
- Undergarments
- Antibacterial soap
- Toothbrushes
- Toothpaste
- Hand towels (super absorbent)
- Comb/ hair brush
- Hand sanitizer or alcohol
- Sanitary napkin

V. IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS AND MONEY
- Keep these in a plastic envelope.
- Money should be in the form of cash and loose change (in case banks are closed or electronic banking is not available.)
- Prepaid cards
- List of important information (security insurance number, tax identification number, driver's license, passport number, bank account details, insurance policy, etc.)
- Passport
- Important legal documents: Birth certificates, marriage contract, insurance certificates, land titles, etc.
- Other important documents: academic credentials, vaccination records, medical records, etc.

VI. SPECIAL NEEDS (Of elderly, children, infant or sick member of the family)
- Emergency medication (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, anti- diarrheal, for cough and colds, children's medication, etc.)
- Prescription Medication (for 3 days, like anti hypertensive, insulin, etc.)
- Children's food

VII. FIRST AID KIT (Standard)
The risk of accident or emergency cannot be taken for granted. It is important to be prepared. Always have a first aid kit on hand. First Aid is a life saving skill. Once you know how to apply first aid correctly, you can help save lives. Call the Philippine Red Cross National Headquarters or the local Chapters for the following First Aid Kit items:

1 Adhesive Strips (Pk50)
1 Hypo - Allergenic medical tape 1.25cm x 9.1m
1 Conforming Bandage 5cm
1 Triangular Bandage 110cm x 110cm
1 Wound Dressing No. 15
2 Swabs Antiseptic
1 Tweezers metal 8cm
1 Scissors disposable
1 Safety pins – assorted (pk12)
1 Plastic Bags - resealable - 100 X 180 mm
1 Plastic Bags - resealable - 150 x 230 mm
2 Gloves - disposable
1 First Aid Quick Reference Guide

NOTE: Wear sturdy shoes just in case you need to walk through rubble and debris. Small toys, games or materials are important too as they will provide some comfort and entertainment during stressful times. We highly recommend that you use a backpack with good supporting shoulder straps. Make sure you can lift or carry it!

S.O.E. Tambay #7
Old 11-06-2013, 23:35   #4
edtf

wishing the best to our brothers in Cebu & Bohol.
The storm is soooo BIG that it can practically cover the whole Philippines. Thanks KS for the reminder on the lifeline kit
edtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 23:58   #5
Batesmotel

Batten down. I have been watching this. My son is on Panay. Right in the path. Be careful.
Old 11-07-2013, 22:41   #6
Allegra

I feel nervous looking at your emergency kits
I bought a can of sardines, a bag of peanuts, a book and a fan for each family member
" When I'm eating,that's all I think about / If I'm on the march, I just concentrate on marching / If I have to fight,it will be just as good a day to die as any other / If you can concentrate always on the present,you'll be a happy man "
- the Camel Driver
Old 11-10-2013, 22:35   #7
Allegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Batten down. I have been watching this. My son is on Panay. Right in the path. Be careful.
any news from your son?
i hope he's ok
- the Camel Driver
Old 11-11-2013, 03:16   #8
Kaiser Soze
Notorious

My kit went unused, but a lot of my other supplies went to the Red Cross na. Our people in Tacloban are hungry, some homeless but safe. We are still looking for one MedRep who hasn't reported in. A lot of them are going on leave to attend to their families. We're having a hard time sending assistance to them as majority of the area is still without power so ATMs and banks are closed. People from Tacloban have taken to WALKING to Calbayog to get food and water, but there have been reports of desperate people snatching water bottles and containers from others who are coming from Calbayog. The cops are coming back though with some soldiers though and will enforce a curfew. I'm getting all of this from my people on the ground.

Our people in Palo, Leyte were spared from the harsh impact that flattened a big area there, but are now isolated with no running water and power because of road damage and debris.

S.O.E. Tambay #7
Old 11-11-2013, 04:24   #9
cebuboy
toy soldier

Metro Cebu got out ok, that was a close one, towns to the north not so lucky. Northern towns like Daan Bantayan, Bogo, Medellin badly hit. The Island of Malapascua got cleaned while the three towns in Bantayan Island are about 90% roofless...
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03   #10
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
any news from your son?
i hope he's ok
Indirectly. We heard from another source he is ok but we don't know exactly where he is right now. Just know he is somewhere near Ajuy. We don't know if his house survived.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:21   #11
kidlat_tahimik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batesmotel View Post
Indirectly. We heard from another source he is ok but we don't know exactly where he is right now. Just know he is somewhere near Ajuy. We don't know if his house survived.
the town ajuy is next town to concepcion where the fifth land fall of typhoon happens. i hope he is ok since according to my uncle who happens to be the parish priest of Ajuy, much help is needed since there is considerable damage happens to ajuy town proper.
kidlat_tahimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03   #12
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlat_tahimik View Post
the town ajuy is next town to concepcion where the fifth land fall of typhoon happens. i hope he is ok since according to my uncle who happens to be the parish priest of Ajuy, much help is needed since there is considerable damage happens to ajuy town proper.
He will be there for one more year. I think he will be involved in cleanup and rebuilding until he comes home. He worked for me for many years rebuilding and remodeling houses. His construction and demolition skills will be put to good use now.

I hope he has a chance to meet your uncle. Your uncle has a great task ahead of him. There is more to rebuild than just houses.

My son is Elder Christopher Bates. He is a Mormon missionary.They might meet.

Last edited by Batesmotel; 11-11-2013 at 12:05..
Batesmotel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 21:52   #13
norman9X

I sympathize with everyone affected and we're doing what we can here in Manila to send out relief goods and gather funds to the stricken areas. Help should be on the way as the US deployed their military assets yesterday and more coming today based on the info we have. They will setup a round the clock staging area in Tacloban airport so relief from other countries can come 24 hours. There are a lot pledges from UN and our neighboring countries. The problem is distribution and order among looters.

USS carrier G. Washington is on the way here and hopefully within the night they'll be able reach Visayas to help out right away. They've been called off early from their HK port visit so it would be nearer. I'm just glad CNN and local media was able to cover the calamity and shook the world attention this weekend.

You can see a lot of restaurant promos to generate funds in Manila like Yabu etc. so please help while you can when you can.

Cheers
norman9X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:04   #14
Batesmotel

Just got a fast email from him. He rode the storm out in Ajuy. House did Ok with some good roof damage but repairable. House flooded 1 foot deep from rain coming in the doors. Most of the neighbors not so lucky. Houses standing but no roof at all. All he lost was some of his clothing. No power for a month. Water is back on intermittently but very dirty.

Stay safe. There have been some bad in injuries from the clean up already. Be careful.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43   #15
Allegra

I'm curious about the looting
Is it just tacloban where there was breakdown ng law and order?
What about ormoc? capiz? palawan?
The typhoon could just as easily have passed by calabarzon and metro manila
Bago itong looting na to if i'm not mistaken
- the Camel Driver
Old 11-15-2013, 07:11   #16
itosh

I'm glad to share that me and my family made it out of Yolanda ALIVE!
itosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:00   #17
jimbullet

No break down in law in order in Palawan from what I gathered. Dont know with the rest of the harder hit cities.
BOG#125
PNZ#15130
PAASS Badge#3104
jimbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:06   #18
cebuboy
toy soldier

No news of looting in Northern Cebu towns and cities...

My utmost gratitude to those who helped us in this time of crisis.

Thank you USA for the aide and air, naval, and human assets you provided us to speed up the distribution of relief packages to the survivors.

Thank you Israel for the field hospital in Bogo, for treating our wounded countrymen.

Thank you France and Germany for the rescue teams you sent up north.

Thank you Japan for the JSDF and C130 helping us out.

Thank you Indonesia, Singapore, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand for the C130s ferrying supplies to the stricken areas

Thank you Canada, UK and a host of other countries for helping us out.

We will not forget.

Last edited by cebuboy; 11-20-2013 at 07:07..
cebuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:30   #19
Allegra

Quote:
Originally Posted by itosh View Post
I'm glad to share that me and my family made it out of Yolanda ALIVE!
glad you and your family are safe

Dati ba may looting?
I'm wondering if this is some sort of mass hysteria dahil sa trauma from the storm surge
Or dahil Tacloban has the airport and univeristies, madami transients both good and bad

We have to be ready din sa ganyan
Haiyan could have definitely passed anywhere in the country
- the Camel Driver