Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2013, 19:33   #1
Ferdinandd

Anyone shoot a compensated .45 anymore?

20+ years ago, when I first got into practical pistol, the standard gun for advanced shooters was a compensated .45 1911. I shot production class, or whatever it was then, but really liked the .45 race guns. Over time, those shifted into .38 super, and 9x21. I've been thinking about a 1911 build like the classic race gun since I first saw them.

Does anyone shoot a compensate .45 any more? Is the comp worth the extra length/cost? Just curious to see if folks feel that the comp is effective enough to bother with these days. Thanks in advance.
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 20:26   #2
bac1023

I don't, but some like them.

I'm not really a fan of any compensated pistols, though I do own some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:07   #3
jdw174

Way back in the day, I was the very proud owner of one of Richard Heinie's comped .45's. At the time, he offered two versions, one used a standard length slide with the comp added, and the second was a shortened slide version. The compensator on that one made the whole thing only slightly longer than a stock 1911, and is the one I owned. Using IPSC major loads with an H&G68 bullet, that gun would put 7 empties in the air at the same time while the sights barely moved off target. I would say that the compensator definitely worked on that one.
jdw174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44   #4
Jim Watson

Contrary to Internet Expertise, a compensator can work quite well on a .45 ACP. Not as effectively as on a .38 Super with half the bullet and twice the powder, but a definite reduction in muzzle jump and recoil.

The problem is, such a gun is not competitive any more, the high capacity smallbores have taken over USPSA Open.

If you just want one for fun, it will work. I wish I had kept one of mine instead of deleting the comp for IDPA.
Old 11-03-2013, 16:33   #5
Ferdinandd

Thanks for the info Jim and jdw. I like the idea of being able to shoot accurately, fast enough to put 7 cases in the air at once! This pistol would be for fun/range use primarily.

Not sure where you are in W TN jdw, but I started shooting USPSA in Millington in 1991 or 1992. Good bunch there.
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote