Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:47   #1
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

45acp Excessive Smokiness

I took my G30sf out yesterday (I really appreciate that pistol!) and always notice that I get a LOT of smoke -- moreso than when I shoot any other handgun -- from it. The barrel and slide are also coated in soot and discolored (wipes right off) with 45acp (all factory no hand loads). I was wondering if all you ammo gurus might have some knowledge about this?

Is 45acp loaded with a different kind propellant than say 9mm or 38spl? They all say "smokeless powder" but that 45 is the least smokeless of the bunch! Any theories why this is the case?

It's not just one brand ammo but all of the stuff I've shot thru my G30 leaves the slide and frame discolored and coated in soot and a cloud in the air when I shoot. Why?

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:32   #2
Herzeleid
Kein Mitleid

happens in my g21 and g30.

I'm assuming bigger cartridge = more powder. And maybe lower pressure = less crap blown straight out, and deviates more around it?

I'd probably just go with the first thing I think in regards to more powder burning
Herzeleid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:28   #3
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

I suppose that's possible. I shot some 45 LC (long Colt) and they, too, were like tossing smoke bombs! Big, fat cartridge and it was worse than the 45acp so there is some correlation. Something to think about, thanks.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
Old 10-31-2013, 15:33   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Just speculating...

If I was a manufacturer that had to make bulk ammo that works in everyone's guns safely, I'd use a medium - slow burning powder to keep pressures down. A fast powder gives you a quick pressure spike and burns fairly clean, but you're going to push pressure limits easier and not get velocities that sell. You can easily get decent speeds at lower pressures with a moderate charge of a medium - slow powder like Unique or WSF. Trouble is, if you aren't getting up towards max pressures, you'll get incomplete combustion... soot, smoke, et cetera. Now consider that .45 auto is almost half the pressure of 9mm, and most ball ammo for .45 is underpowered (800 - 820 fps) and it's a pretty good combination for soot and smoke.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 16:52   #5
Arnold Kuhl

I was shooting some .45ACP FMJ's loaded with a really super- wimpy charge of Clays, last Tuesday.

Was shooting my G21SF, with KKM bbl. I did not notice any smokiness, but I sure noticed that my spent brass was very dirty; more so than I can ever remember before. First time I used Clays in .45ACP, and as I said, really wimpy load. The wussified load was because I wasn't absolutely sure what the charge limit was for Clays in .45ACP, so I was extra-conservative when I loaded them up with Clays. Now I know to load them somewhat hotter if I use Clays in the future. Had a lot of jams, too, what with using a 22 lb. spring in my G21SF. (I was too lazy to change my RSA back to stock). Of course, this was expected, but the brass was really filthy.

AK
Arnold Kuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 17:00   #6
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Kuhl View Post
I was shooting some .45ACP FMJ's loaded with a really super- wimpy charge of Clays, last Tuesday.

Was shooting my G21SF, with KKM bbl. I did not notice any smokiness, but I sure noticed that my spent brass was very dirty; more so than I can ever remember before. First time I used Clays in .45ACP, and as I said, really wimpy load. The wussified load was because I wasn't absolutely sure what the charge limit was for Clays in .45ACP, so I was extra-conservative when I loaded them up with Clays. Now I know to load them somewhat hotter if I use Clays in the future. Had a lot of jams, too, what with using a 22 lb. spring in my G21SF. (I was too lazy to change my RSA back to stock). Of course, this was expected, but the brass was really filthy.

AK
That's a separate issue. Not enough pressure to fully make the brass expand in the chamber. That will go away as you up the charge weight.

Last edited by Zombie Steve; 10-31-2013 at 17:00..
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 16:35   #7
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
That's a separate issue. Not enough pressure to fully make the brass expand in the chamber. That will go away as you up the charge weight.
That makes me wonder if it doesn't tie in to my issue, also. My gun fired well. No problems, misfires, FTF, FTE, etc. but the spent cases were a bit more blackened than other rounds I fired. I generally always pickup and inspect a case if and when one falls near me mainly to look at the FP strike on the primer.

Most others (9mm, 38spl even 380) are usually fairly clean.

Old 11-01-2013, 17:11   #8
fredj338

It is likely a combo of the Glock's generous chamber & under pressure loads for the powder used. Some ammo like Wolf, UMC, WWWB, use canister powders that just don't burn completely IME.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:32   #9
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
It is likely a combo of the Glock's generous chamber & under pressure loads for the powder used. Some ammo like Wolf, UMC, WWWB, use canister powders that just don't burn completely IME.
Between this and other replies (above) I think the next time I take out the ole G30sf I'm gonna bring some +P SD loads along and see if the higher power (and probably) better quality loads give me a different result as far as less smoke and soot on the end of the gun.

As I said, I was using name stuff like Hornady, Federal and some PMC FMJ not reloads or steel case ammo. Maybe some HST and Hornady TAP HP will make a difference. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:44   #10
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

I still love the smell of burning rubber,... gearhead since birth.

There's nothing wrong with a smoking gun either
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:33   #11
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool64 View Post
I still love the smell of burning rubber,... gearhead since birth.

There's nothing wrong with a smoking gun either
This much smoke, you might change your mind. No rubber burning here but thanks for the input.

Old 11-02-2013, 18:22   #12
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
If I was a manufacturer that had to make bulk ammo that works in everyone's guns safely, I'd use a medium - slow burning powder to keep pressures down. A fast powder gives you a quick pressure spike and burns fairly clean, but you're going to push pressure limits easier and not get velocities that sell. You can easily get decent speeds at lower pressures with a moderate charge of a medium - slow powder like Unique or WSF. Trouble is, if you aren't getting up towards max pressures, you'll get incomplete combustion... soot, smoke, et cetera. Now consider that .45 auto is almost half the pressure of 9mm, and most ball ammo for .45 is underpowered (800 - 820 fps) and it's a pretty good combination for soot and smoke.
This would be my line of thought also. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 17:48   #13
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
This much smoke, you might change your mind. No rubber burning here but thanks for the input.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade.
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote