Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:46   #1
Idontplaynice

Would there be a market for this gun

A single-stack lightweight polymer-framed 10mm semi-automatic pistol for carry.

(Think G20 or G29 but with a single-stack magazine)
Idontplaynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:55   #2
bac1023

It sounds like a gun like that would take a serious beating at the hands of the 10mm.

That's why Glock never brought out a 10mm version of the G36 with its thinner slide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:58   #3
Idontplaynice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
It sounds like a gun like that would take a serious beating at the hands of the 10mm.

That's why Glock never brought out a 10mm version of the G36 with its thinner slide.
I'm talking more about a thinner grip rather than thinner slide.

The double-stack 10mm mags are chunky.

The single-stack S&W 1006 guns are nice but they are all steel.
Idontplaynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:02   #4
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I'd dump a few mags, but they did it right with the G20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontplaynice View Post

I bet they shoot real nice, too.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 10-19-2013 at 10:03..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:02   #5
bac1023

Quote:
I'm talking more about a thinner grip rather than thinner slide.

The double-stack 10mm mags are chunky.

I'm sure there would be a market for it. The problem is the overall length of the cartridge sort of mandates a slightly wider grip frame regardless whether its single or double stack.

Besides that, very few companies even offer 10mm pistols these days.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:06   #6
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I'd dump a few mags, but they did it right with the G20.
Yeah, the G20 is designed from the ground up for the 10mm. It was the first non 9mm cartridge they chambered a gun for. The G21 came out afterwards and kept the thick slide even though it wasn't needed for 45ACP.

We're just now starting to see Glock sort of "re-invent" their 45ACP pistols with the thinner slides. Hopefully, a G21S is in the works as well.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:19   #7
Booker

Surely that style of weapon would violate some UN treaties! LOL
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:31   #8
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post

I bet they shoot real nice, too.
The 1006 is an awesome shooter.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Old 10-19-2013, 10:37   #9

Slim single stack mag guns already have a market but the 10mm has just not caught on with most for carry. Those commenting here including myself are the minority in supporting the 10mm are a carry weapon.

I'd buy one!
451050500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:39   #10
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 451050500 View Post
Slim single stack mag guns already have a market but the 10mm has just not caught on with most for carry. Those commenting here including myself are the minority in supporting the 10mm are a carry weapon.

I'd buy one!
Well, the ammo isn't nearly as easy to come by. Plus, in order to get proper 10mm loads, you have to buy from the boutique companies or load your own.

The mainstream factory 10mm is really watered down.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:02   #11

Quote:
Well, the ammo isn't nearly as easy to come by. Plus, in order to get proper 10mm loads, you have to buy from the boutique companies or load your own.

The mainstream factory 10mm is really watered down.
Being most that shy away from or downright hate on 10mm are 9mm fans they do have the ammo availablity argument. Of course reloading is where it's at and for the life of me I don't understand why anyone who shoots on a regular basis does not also reload. Start up costs are the price of a used glock and the learning curve is only a few weeks for most to get safe reliable consistent performing ammo. It can take years to learn tricks and speed but reloading can be done by 90% of the shooting population.
That said I just did a 10mm check online and there is quite a bit available, most have less than 3 day waits for shipping out. But this is mostly defensive ammo so for one to master a 10mm and not go broke they need to reload target ammo.
I use 155 grain hps for everything 10mm and bullets and brass are not an issue to find if one actually ventures to sites other than midway and ctd. Even sportsmansguide retail and online always has 10mm. But anyway, it is a valid argument, especially for those that don't reload.
451050500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:26   #12
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Underwood has been difficult to come by. As of 2 weeks ago, I still can't get their 180 Gold Dots. They usually have 200 TMJ, and was lucky to have picked up some 220 hardcast for hunting this year
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:47   #13
English

Quote:
A single-stack lightweight polymer-framed 10mm semi-automatic pistol for carry.

(Think G20 or G29 but with a single-stack magazine)
Whether there would be a market for such a pistol I don't know but there should be a market for one. I would happily buy one.

I think bac1023 is not correct about the grip size which could be the same as or slightly narrower than a 1911's. The 10mm cartridge is essentially the same length overall as the .45ACP but it is narrower. So with a true single stack magazine it could be made to have a narrower grip with the same front to back length as the 1911's. Or it could have a slightly staggered stack for the same width and perhaps a round more. I am assuming that space is not wasted with a plastic magazine.

English
English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:05   #14
fastbolt

Would there be a market? Probably, but it would be so small that it probably wouldn't be profitable for the R&D involved for an entirely new frame design, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Someone's bound to expect the slide to be thinner, as well, and complain if it's only a standard thickness/mass 10mm slide (from an existing model) atop a marginally thinner single stack frame.

Using the slimmest magazine body possible might help in making a thinner plastic frame, which probably means using an all-steel mag body without an added layer of plastic (which means a mag catch with at least a steel insert).

Then, there's the capacity aficionados, who might pan anything only holding 7 or 8 rounds.

If single stack 1911's chambered in 10mm aren't lighting the market on fire, making buyers clamor for even lighter aluminum or plastic frames, I'd not expect the big gun companies to bother with such an exercise in wasting money.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:49   #15
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Sure, there will be a market for anything. It can be big, or it can be small. My guess is it will be quite small for such a gun.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 13:49   #16
Berto
woo woo

To me, the more the merrier. That said, I doubt it would take off given the fact we already have such options in .40 SW which performs like most factory 10mm until you go boutique or hand load for real 10mm.
I love the 10, but picturing it in a Walther PPS or Glock 36 type package has little appeal to me. I load it with Silvertips and get some ballistic advantage over .40, but an extra 100 fps probably won't offset the downsides associated with cramming that much cartridge into a smaller gun or getting a slimmer grip like any 1911 in 10 already has.
In the context of wanting a smaller slimmer 10mm, I see it the same as .357mag in lightweight 5 shot revolvers, too much of a good thing.

Last edited by Berto; 10-19-2013 at 13:52..
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 15:55   #17
Bruce M

I would guess that the market would be fairly small for it. I also guess that one of the reasons that the G20 enjoys the popularity that it does has as much to do with its relatively low price as it does with it being 10mm. I wonder how many would buy a 10mm that was twice the cost of a G20 or G29.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 22:06   #18
clarson_75

something like an xds with a 5" barrel and a matching slide? I'd get one.

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:30   #19
Haldor
Retired EE

Quote:

I think your hands would take a serious beating also. I am glad to have some heft in a powerful handgun (S&W Model 29 ect.)
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:40   #20
Haldor
Retired EE

I would prefer a Chiappa Rhino in 10mm. Lower bore axis means less muzzle flip and you can't get any lower than a Rhino.

Chiappa already has a .40 Rhino and is working on a gen 3 Rhino. Hopefully it will come in 10mm. With moon-clips it should be able to handle both .40 and 10mm ammo interchangeably.
Guys! Guys! He's down! Stop kicking him! If he shows up on another thread, Tasers are indicated, but for now, let him slink off into the shadows to lick his wounds and ponder how deeply cool and misunderstood he is!
Hoot nred Mrs. Vr.
Haldor is offline   Reply With Quote